Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Times are rough in the Big Easy. With the Great Depression looming overhead, jobs are scarce, money is scarcer, and perhaps the only thing people have of in excess is problems.

For those with eyes on the street and a foot in the Occult Underground, things are rougher. Who knows what things are lurking in the shadows, or what strange powers they possess? But for some folk, all they need to deal with problems are their fists, their wits, and a gun. (or magic, that helps too.)

But you can't go too much good deeds on an empty stomach, so there's an unusual gathering at the local feeding joint.

Our Heroes at the Table:

Louis Broussard, played by Byers2142
Raymond Deville, played by Ryuujin
Duke Coleman, played by Unstoppabro
Dr. John Beattie played by JackMann
Harry Allen, played by oriongates

Repost your charsheets, and give some interesting table banter. Why is everyone eating together (even if it's just to keep the check low)? Once everyone tucks in, I'll bring in dessert.

OOC thread.

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Name:
Duke Coleman

Background:
Duke lived simple on the outskirts of the Big Easy. He was born in the house where his daddy was born, and his granddaddy, and his granddaddy before him, and he sailed the same dilapidated shrimper his daddy sailed, and his granddaddy, and you get the idea. As soon as he was walkin' he was learning to man the shrimper. Shrimpin' was all that was on little Duke's mind until one day his mama took him to a concert (shrimping wasn't an easy way to pay bills) where he saw a man with the strangest name, "jelly roll". This jelly roll's music was sweeter than any real jelly rolls he ever tried. Jelly Roll became Duke's idol, he listened to him whenever and wherever he could. At dinner that was the only thing he thought about, on the shrimper as well, and even while he was asleep. On his twelfth birthday daddy told him he was a real man now, and the "first mate" of the old rust bucket, but mama got him something he still keeps with him to this day, his first saxophone.It was a beat up, old hand me down practice instrument, not that his instruments have gotten better since. Through his childhood he played from the sun's rise to sun's set, the neighborhood kids would gather around and dance and frolic to his music every day. Now he tours the Big Easy, looking for a better life for him and his family, bogged down in tradition.

Attributes:
Agility d6 (1 point)
Smarts d8 (2 points)
Spirit d6 (1 point)
Strength d4
Vigor d6 (1 point)

Skills:
Agility: Driving d4 (1 point)
Spirit: Persuasion d8 (3 points)
Persuasion: Streetwise d6 (2 points)
Agility: Swimming d6 (2 point)
Agility: Boating d8 (3 points)
Spirit: Perform (Sax) d8 (3 points)
Agility: Fighting d4 (1 point)

Derived Stats:
Charisma: 2
Pace: 8
Parry: 4
Toughness: 5

Hindrances:
Poverty (Default)
Pacifist (Minor): Will only fight in self defense
Clueless (Major): -2 to most Common Knowledge Rolls

Edges:
Attractive (Novice): Charisma +2
Fleet-Footed (Novice): +2 Pace, d10 running die instead of d6

Gear:
Sweater ($3)
Used Slacks ($2)
Worn Loafers ($4)
$19.00 cash
Lighter ($1)
Pack of Cigarettes ($1.20)
Old Saxophone ($30)
Wallet ($2)
Motelroom Keys
Lucky Anchor Keychain ($0.25)

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Louis swiped the last of his bowl clean with a bread hunk and popped it into his mouth. "Yep, best way to stretch an order of crawdads, make 'em in a gumbo. Thanks for splittin' the bill, gents."

Louis left out that without the split, he'd have had to eat bean soup for dinner again.

OOC:

Name:
Louis Broussard

Background:
The rules for cops are clear. Grift is expected and accepted, but you can't make waves. Shake down a street vendor for a few dollars, you're fine. But smack down a man who's tuning up his wife, and you're in trouble. At least when that man's the nephew of the mayor and connected to "influential people." Suddenly, every dollar you've ever received under the table, every morphine phial you looked the other way for, every favor you did while moonlighting, they dig all of it up and hit you with it.

Just like that, Louis was out. Service in Europe during the war, a solid arrest record, none of it mattered. In his 40s and dead broke, he was adrift and had only a lackluster Private Investigation gig to try and survive by. When there's a crime in his neighborhood, his former colleagues will drag him in for questioning just to harass him, but his pride won't let him leave. This is his city, he made his life here after the war, and he's not going to be run out. To avoid the stigma of his name, his agency is named "Doe Investigations" and claims a Johnathan Doe as its owner, but make no mistake it's just Louis and it's his last, best hope at making his way in the Big Easy.

Attributes:
Agility d8 (1 Point + Major Hindrance)
Smarts d6 (1 Point)
Spirit d8 (2 Points)
Strength d4
Vigor d6 (1 Point)

Skills:
Driving d4 (1 Point)
Fighting d6 (2 Points)
Intimidation d8 (3 Points)
Investigation (2 Points)
Notice d6 (2 Points)
Persuasion d4 (1 Point)
Shooting d8 (3 Points)
Streetwise d4 (1 Points)

Derived Stats:
Charisma 0
Pace 6
Parry 5
Toughness 6

Hindrances:
Poverty (Setting Default)
Enemy (Major) - Mayor's Nephew, name TBD
Stubborn (Minor)
Short Temper (Minor)

Edges:
Hard (Human Edge)
Sleuth (Bought with 2 Points)

Gear:

Cash on Hand $11

Boots, 3 lbs, $5
Hat, $3
Overcoat, 3 lbs, $15
Pants, 1 lbs, $2.50
Shirt, 1 lbs, $2.50

Bullets (Box of 100, Pistol), 2 lbs, $1.50
Flashlight, 2 lbs, $1
Lighter, $1
Shoulder Holster, $2.50
Wristwatch, $5

S&W DA (.38), 2 lbs, $25, Range 12/24/48, 2d6, RoF 1, 6 Shots

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 26, 2015

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Harry Allen

While not necessarily a bad fellow at heart, Harry was never one for following the rules and spent much of his youth in the city of Memphis well-known to the local police. At the age of 15 Prohibition came into fashion in the North and Harry decided to join up with a few entrepreneurial "friends", ditch his parents and make his fortune in the bootlegging trade. Unfortunately, the rum-running trade along the Mississippi was quickly dominated by organized crime and Harry didn't like getting pushed around by the mob any more than he liked being pushed around by the police. Rather than join up he headed east and make his living driving back and forth across the Mason-Dixie selling hooch.

It was during this time that he learned the art of Grifting. Harry ran into a homeless sot named Dirk and, being in a generous mood, shared a flask with the fellow. After being loosened up the man offered to teach Harry the art of Grifting in exchange for a regular supply of drink. Of course Harry wasn't a believer in magic but the drunk quickly changed that when he lifted the lad into the air with a wave of his hand. For the next couple of years Harry continued running rum, learning magic and evading the law. Unfortunately 1932 was a bad year for Harry: Dirk finally drunk himself to death (or more accurately stumbled in front of a speeding car) and an unfortunate double-whammy of a flat tire and a jammed gun got Harry caught with his hooch in Union territory. Fortunately, by then he'd mastered his magical powers and managed to blast his way out of jail. He headed south to wait for the heat to die down and then the blasted Union went and abolished Prohibition! Now he's found himself hanging out in New Orleans, low on money but unwilling to get a proper job or sign up with the mob...hopefully something will come along.

Agility-d6, Smarts-d8, Spirit-d6, Strength-d4, Vigor-d6

Driving d6, Fighting d4, Knowledge (Occult) d4, Lockpicking d4, Notice d4, Repair d4, Persuasion-d4, Shooting d4, Streetwise d8, Spellcasting d8

Hindrances: Rebellious, Wanted, Overconfident

Edges: AB (Grifter), Liquid Courage, Hedonist

Powers: Burst (Firewater), Deflection (Lucky Flask), Confusion (Instant Drunk)

Gear: (Used) Sawed off Double-Barrel (20$), Knife (1$), Shoes, Coat, Shirt, Pants, Hat (25$), 100 bullets (1.50$), 20$ worth of cheap booze.

((EDIT: FYI, I remixed a few of my skill points))

oriongates fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 24, 2015

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Hey guys, make sure to post your character sheets and get this thread rolling, we don't want it dead in the water, do we?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raymond Deville

Ray picks at the food a little, but doesn't seem to eat much of it. Mostly he sits back and people watches. He gives a noncommittal nod at Louis's comment about the food.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:
Raymond Deville (pregen)

Background:
Ray was a prize fighter—actually more of a stepping stone for better fighters. Still, he wouldn’t take
a dive to save his life…literally. The Black Hand put a bullet in him after he won the wrong fight. Just
like in the ring, he didn’t stay down. Now Ray does muscle work to make the rent, but one day he’ll
find the mook who plugged him…

Attributes:
Agility d6
Smarts d6
Spirit d6
Strength d8
Vigor d8

Skills:
Driving d4
Fighting d8
Intimidation d6
Lockpicking d4
Notice d6
Shooting d6
Streetwise d6
Stealth d4

Derived Stats:
Charisma 0
Pace 6
Parry 6
Toughness 6

Hindrances:
• Poverty: Times are tough all over.
• Code of Honor: Ray brought his ethics back from the grave with him.
• Loyal: He never abandons a friend in need.
• Vengeful (Minor): Ray avenges any wrong against himself or his friends.

Edges:
• Harrowed: Ray saw the inside of a coffin once. He still doesn’t really understand what’s going on
but he’s slowly figuring it out. +2 to Fear tests, immune to normal Fatigue, can only be killed by a
head shot.
• Cat Eyes: +2 to visual Notice rolls, no modifiers for Dim or Dark lighting.

Gear:

Used lockpicks, trench knife, Luger pistol with 1 spare magazine and 100 extra rounds, $13.50.

Cash on Hand $13.50

pre:
			Weapon Stats
Weapon 			Range 		RoF	Damage	AP 	Wt 	Notes
Luger (9mm)		12/24/48 	1 	2d6 	— 	3 	Shots 8, Semi-Auto
Trench Knife 		— 		— 	Str+d4 	1 	1 	Includes brass knuckles*
 *Brass Knuckles	— 		— 	Str+d4 	— 	— 	Can do nonlethal damage at no
									attack penalty

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman

Duke munches on his food while staring at the band playing in the background. "It's weird being the one listenin' instead of playin' up there on the stage. It was always more natural for me to serve than to be served" He goes back to delightfully eating his gumbo.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis looked from Duke to the band and back. "You used to serve food? How'd you go from that to playin' for your meal?"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

JackMann needs to bring Dr. John Beattie to the table.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
"I always did odd jobs here and there for a little extra cash, waiting was just one of the easiest to find. When I was starting to play gigs I didn't have nearly enough money to pay rent or nothin' so I played AND served at my gig for the extra cash." Duke finishes the last of his meal. "Anyone up for desserts?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

quote:

Name:
Dr. John Beattie

Background:
Dr. Beattie was a talented surgeon who went to school up North at Harvard. He and his wife Alice came down to the Big Easy to be closer to Alice's family. However, a car accident killed Alice and left Beattie nearly crippled. In his grief, he began to study all the latest advances in medicine, everything from the great universities to two-bit patent scientists selling snake oil. He began to experiment, eventually healing himself. He was obsessed with healing the kind of injuries that had taken his wife from him. He still talks about her as though she were still there talking to him.

At night, he somestimes wanders graveyards, accident sites, and the odd city morgue, looking for... something. Even he isn''t quite sure yet. But there's something calling to him. Something that needs him, needs his help.

Despite that, he still takes patients. His practice isn't quite what it was, but there are plenty of people willing to overlook a bit of eccentricity for decently-priced medicine. His clientele is a bit seedier, but he gets by. HIs wife's cousin Helen and her husband Arthur check in on him periodically, worried about his strange behavior.

Attributes:
Agility d6 (1 points)
Smarts d10 (3 points)
Spirit d6 (1 point)
Strength d4
Vigor d4

Skills:
Fighting d4 (Agility, 1 point)
Healing d10 (Smarts, 4 points)
Notice d4 (Smarts, 1 point)
Repair d8 (Smarts, 3 points)
Taunt d6 (Smarts, 2 points)
Weird Science d10 (Smarts, 4 points)

Derived Stats:
Charisma: 0
Pace: 6
Parry: 4
Toughness: 4

Hindrances:
Dark Secret (Major)
Lyin' Eyes (Minor)
Vow (Hippocratic Oath, Minor)
Delusion (His wife's ghost is haunting him, Major)

Edges:
Comfortable (Novice)
Arcane Background: Patent Science (Novice, bought with hindrances)
New Power: Boost/Lower Trait (Novice, bought with hindrances)

Powers:
Healing (Dr. Beattie's patented healing salve)
Boost/Lower Trait (Dr. Beattie's Invigorating/Debilitating Radium Rays)

Gear:
Overcoat ($15)
Doctor's Bag ($20)
Apartment (Average, $50)
Repair Kit ($10)
Wristwatch ($5)
Mauser M1896 ($25)
Knife ($1)
Bullets ($1.50)
$22.50 in cash

"None for me, thank you," Dr. Beattie says. "I'm afraid I don't have much appetite tonight." His half-picked plate provides exhibit A. "Still, thank you for inviting me, Louis. It was... I needed to be out of the house tonight, I think." His eyes dart to his watch. It was an anniversary present. It still kept perfect time.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 29, 2015

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

As plates become cleaner and monies ponied up for the check, a gruff-looking man comes to the table.

"You''re the guy from Doe Investigations, right?" He points at Louis. "I feel like a schmuck about bothering you like this, but I got a problem and think your boss Doe can help me fix it."

Harry, since your general livelihood (and Grifting Vice) involves alcohol, you recognize the newcomer - Brett Bozeman, owner of the Bucket of Blood saloon. A tough man with what some say to be the toughest bar in the city, certainly one of the toughest in the Irish Quarter..

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis gives a nod at the question. "Yeah, I'm with Doe. John's out of town right now, seeing to a legal thing over in Mississippi, but I'm minding the shop while he's gone." He slips his portion of the bill on the table with the rest before continuing. "I'm sure I can help, or at least refer you to someone better if I can't, Mr...?"

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
"I'm sorry, what is this all about?" Duke looks very lost and confused. "Aren't you John?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

gently caress! If this kid screws up a client for me...

Louis trid to keep his voice casual as he answered Duke. "No, John's my boss. My name's Louis. Louis Broussard."

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
"Ah, my mistake" says Duke, eyeing Louis suspiciously.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The newcomer nods at Louis. "Okay, since your boss is out of town, you're the man to talk to, Louis.

I'm Brett Bozeman. If you haven't heard of me, you've probably heard of my bar - the Bucket of Blood. It's a tough neighborhood, so it's a tough bar. But me and my boys work hard to keep it clean."

Harry (and anyone else who passes a Common Knowledge test): When Brett says "clean" he means "non-gang controlled". Any time one of the Irish gangs of the Quarter tries to take control of the Bucket, Brett shuts 'em down. After a few 'cleanups', the gangs declared the Bucket neutral grounds.

"Recently, ...I don't know how to put this. I think someone's been staging fights in the Bucket. Yeah, it gets rowdy from time to time, but this ...it's off. People who wouldn't fight are picking 'em, and all at the Bucket. Now I know drunkard braggarts bitin' off more then they can chew, but this isn't it. It's like...something is making 'em fight. And it's getting worse. And-"

Brett looks around the diner cautiously before he continues, his voice a whisper. ""The other night after I locked up, found a dead man in the alleyway. Beaten to death, he was."

"I don't know who is doing this. I got suspicions it's the goddamn Black Hand, but I haven't seen any of their buttonmen around. Not since the last time those bastards tried to start poo poo. Nah, they'd know better," Brett chuckles to himself, as if remembering an old joke.

"So, can you help me?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raymond Deville

Ray politely stops eating, not that he had really eaten much, as the man approaches Louis. He listens politely, getting a look of suspicion as the man talks about fairly ordinary folk getting into fights they normally wouldn't. That is until the man mentions the Black Hand. As Ray hears that his face goes stiff, he leans in and looks at the man intensely, listening very carefully for anything else the man says on the matter.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

OOC: What stat do I roll to check common knowledge?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Harry Allen

"Must be someone with a real pair to go after the Bucket. Way I heard things everyone decided to play nice after getting their knuckles cracked a few too many times. It'd be a pity if that changed...hard to find a peaceful place for a good drink these days."

Harry leans over to Sam, "Hey big fella, you aren't hungry." It wasn't a question, "mind if I finish that off for you? Shame to let food go to waste you know. There's kids starving in...well just down the street I would think." He grins, fork hovering near Sam's plate just waiting for permission to swoop in. He hasn't had much beyond coffee (topped off from his flask) and toast himself.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Unstoppabro posted:

OOC: What stat do I roll to check common knowledge?

Roll Smarts.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis considered Bozeman's situation carefully before he responded. Never promise too much because you need the money was something he learned the hard way. People acting out of sort could be a lot of things, but drugs topped Louis's suspicion list. If the Black Hand are involved, Louis couldn't stop them, but at least he could confirm for Bozeman that it was them.

"Ok, Mr. Bozeman, here's what I can promise. I'll look into the fighting and the man you found the other night. If I haven't found anything within a week, I'll refer you to someone else and you'll only be on the hook for incidental expenses. If I find something, you'll pay incidentals plus Doe's usually daily fee. I do not promise to stop whatever's going on, though I will if I can, but I'll do my damnedest to find out who is messing with your business.

"If that's agreeable, I'll start on it tonight."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"May I ask what sort of injuries?" Dr. Beattie asks. "I... Apologies. I'm a doctor. Professional curiosity." He wasn't sure he wanted to get involved in a bar that was rowdy enough to go toe-to-toe with the Irish mob, but he had sworn to help the sick and injured. "I'm curious as to their defensive injuries, as well as what kinds of blows they're taking against each other. It may be a clue as to what's happening here."

9 on common knowledge.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

what are the parameters of failing and passing a roll? As in, does rolling a 6 on a knowledge roll pass or fail? Sorry for being the noobiest at Roleplaying Games. :saddowns:
Common Knowledge Roll 5 (URL FIXED AGAIN)

Unstoppabro fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 30, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Unstoppabro posted:

what are the parameters of failing and passing a roll? As in, does rolling a 6 on a knowledge roll pass or fail? Sorry for being the noobiest at Roleplaying Games. :saddowns:
Common Knowledge Roll 6

A four is passing on most things (typically, if something is harder, you'll take a penalty to the roll rather than have the target number change). Don't forget to roll your wild die as well (a d6 that's rolled whenever you roll one of your attributes or skills) and that the dice potentially explode (important when the roll can have better results with higher numbers, or "raises.") Also, I think you copy/pasted the wrong link. That's a link to some earphones on Amazon, rather than the dice roller.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
"Hey, I don't want to be involved in no gang business, I'm earnin' an honest living just fine" Duke is slowly getting more and more tense. He keeps his head down, looking at his plate, and picking at the scraps of food left on it. Duke always remembered how his daddy told him to keep an honest living and to stay away from the scum of the Big Easy.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Okay, not quite there.

So, whenever you roll one of your traits (attributes or skills), you roll the die, and if you get the max result, you roll again and add it to the result. This is called exploding. You don't usually need the die to explode to get that 4 I mentioned, but it's nice. You also have what's called the wild die. Player characters and important NPCs get this to show that they're special individuals who do cool stuff. Basically you roll it at the same time as your trait die, with the same rules, and you keep whichever result is higher. Any modifiers on the trait die apply to the wild die, whether bonuses or penalties.

Now, the way you make the roll on invisible castle is like so: 1dX.open(X);1d6.open(6) Replace X with whatever die size you have on that trait. Your smarts are d8, so you would roll 1d8.open(8);1d6.open(6). The .open(X) bit tells the dice roller that you want to roll again and add it if you get at least the roll in parentheses. In Savage Worlds, that's on the top result for that die, so for a d8, it's .open(8). On a d10, it's .open(10). You do the same thing with the d6, with a semi-colon between them, which tells the dice roller that these are separate rolls. It then gives you the results of both, and you take the higher of the two. If you need any modifiers, you place them after the parentheses.

As an aside, if you don't have even a d4 in a skill, you roll d4-2. So, if I wanted to roll stealth, I would roll 1d4.open(4)-2;1d6.open(6)-2 and take the better of the two results.

Little clearer, I hope?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raymond Deville

Ray looks down at the table, clenching his fists, they itch to be at the Black Hand. But he tries to calm down, after all the incident may not actually be the work of the Black Hand. Then again it might be.

Common Knowledge (1d6.open(6)=5, 1d6.open(6)=1)

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Since Ray made his Common Knowledge roll (and since he knows a bit about how the Black Hand operates due to getting iced by them): he gets a little bit of extra info: The last couple of times the Black Hand made a play for the Bucket, all the gangs in the Irish Channel teamed up to drive them out. The gangs may quarrel and war amongst each other, but they will unite to fight the Hand.

Brett turns to Dr. Beattie. "Beaten to death. Like someone or a gang just flat out pounded him. Think an arm was broken, was bent funny And it's-"

Bozeman stopped, like he thought better of what he was going to say.

"Mister Broussard, sounds like a good deal. Find out who the hell is trying to shut the Bucket down - or start a -" he stops quickly. "Sorry 'bout that. Yeah, worse comes to worse, come down the the Bucket tonight, see what's going on."

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

JackMann posted:

Okay, not quite there.

So, whenever you roll one of your traits (attributes or skills), you roll the die, and if you get the max result, you roll again and add it to the result. This is called exploding. You don't usually need the die to explode to get that 4 I mentioned, but it's nice. You also have what's called the wild die. Player characters and important NPCs get this to show that they're special individuals who do cool stuff. Basically you roll it at the same time as your trait die, with the same rules, and you keep whichever result is higher. Any modifiers on the trait die apply to the wild die, whether bonuses or penalties.

Now, the way you make the roll on invisible castle is like so: 1dX.open(X);1d6.open(6) Replace X with whatever die size you have on that trait. Your smarts are d8, so you would roll 1d8.open(8);1d6.open(6). The .open(X) bit tells the dice roller that you want to roll again and add it if you get at least the roll in parentheses. In Savage Worlds, that's on the top result for that die, so for a d8, it's .open(8). On a d10, it's .open(10). You do the same thing with the d6, with a semi-colon between them, which tells the dice roller that these are separate rolls. It then gives you the results of both, and you take the higher of the two. If you need any modifiers, you place them after the parentheses.

As an aside, if you don't have even a d4 in a skill, you roll d4-2. So, if I wanted to roll stealth, I would roll 1d4.open(4)-2;1d6.open(6)-2 and take the better of the two results.

Little clearer, I hope?

I would roll a 1d6.open(6);1d6.open(6) since I have a -2 modifier for common knowledge rolls as a hindrance, but yes thanks for clearing everything up, I've fixed the URL once again.

Unstoppabro fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 30, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

"Sorry, Duke, when work calls you can't turn it away. Almost done here, then we can finish our meal without talk of gangs and such."

Louis nodded to Bozeman. "Like I said, Mr. Bozeman, I'll get started on it tonight. I'm sure you'll see me at the bar, but I'll want to see the body first. What're the chances I'll find it in the city morgue?"

Louis knew Bozeman was keeping things from him, but who wasn't in New Orleans? If it was important, it would out in the investigation. If it wasn't, why push the paying client?

Ok, I have ideas on roping in everyone, except Duke. Louis is planning on paying the doc to do an exam of the dead body, for example. But does anyone have an in-character way to bring Duke along?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Unstoppabro posted:

I would roll a 1d6.open(6);1d6.open(6) since I have a -2 modifier for common knowledge rolls as a hindrance, but yes thanks for clearing everything up, I've fixed the URL once again.

Close! You actually roll 1d8.open(8)-2;1d6.open(6)-2. The -2 doesn't reduce the die type, it just gives you a penalty. Other than that, you've got it.

For roping Duke in, perhaps Bozeman mentions the name of the deceased, and it's someone Duke knows?

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

I copy-pasted the texted I needed to input for a roll but the wildcard seemed to get extra added as well? Check this out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Don't worry, that's right. You got a 5 on the d8. It then applied the -2 to the 5, turning it to a 3, which is a failure. However, on your wild die, you got a 6. That's the maximum on a d6, so it rolled again and got a 4, giving a total result of 10. Then it applies the penalty, turning it to an 8. That's not only a success, but because it's four over the target, it's a raise. Whether or not that means anything here or not is up to Dedman. It could mean more information. As another example, when you get a raise on an attack, it gives you an extra d6 of damage. Raises on persuasion rolls can make an NPC even more helpful. Things like that.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

JackMann posted:

Don't worry, that's right. You got a 5 on the d8. It then applied the -2 to the 5, turning it to a 3, which is a failure. However, on your wild die, you got a 6. That's the maximum on a d6, so it rolled again and got a 4, giving a total result of 10. Then it applies the penalty, turning it to an 8. That's not only a success, but because it's four over the target, it's a raise. Whether or not that means anything here or not is up to Dedman. It could mean more information. As another example, when you get a raise on an attack, it gives you an extra d6 of damage. Raises on persuasion rolls can make an NPC even more helpful. Things like that.

Ah ok, thanks a bunch :downs:

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Brett sighs, then talks to Louis, voice lowered.

"This stays at the table. The guy was - he was one of the Crowbar Gang's boy's, right? Hell, everyone who was suddenly picking fights at the Bucket were some member of a gang. With this increase of fights, I...I didn't want cop business shutting down the bar. I dragged the body over to Craven and 1st. Crowbar turf. Figured they'd take care of their own. If they brought him in to the cops, of if they took care of him their own, I don't know."

"I don't know how these fights are starting, all I know is either something wants the Bucket closed down - or they want gang war in the Quarter."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

All gang members? Now things were getting interesting. Unfortunately, there was Duke to think of. A colored man has enough troubles in New Orleans, but get him involved in the gang landscape...

"Stays at the table, absolutely. Speaking of staying at the table... Duke, I'm about to ask some very specific questions that will lead to a less than comfortable conversation for you to hear. If you stay, you need to promise you won't go blabbing our business around the city. Ok?"

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
Gangs? Murder? Questions?
"This is getting shadier by the minute, but alright I promise. I won't say a word about this" Duke was starting to sweat, he'd been plenty uncomfortable during the whole discussion, never mind this.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis nods at Duke's response. "Ok then."

He turns to the others at the table. "Doc, I want you to have a look at the body, a properly commissioned semi-legal autopsy. Not too expensive, but it's a legitimate expense. Ray, anything you know about the gangs in the area making a move against each other? You have contacts I don't."

Edit for spelling

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Would that be a streetwise roll?

• Locked thread