Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
"Certainly. I'm rather curious about this. It takes rather a lot of effort to beat a man to death with bare hands. It's... troubling. I'd like to see if there was anything unusual beyond the obvious." Dr. Beattie suspects that drugs were likely involved, but the force and nature of the blows will tell him more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Harry Allen
"I don't know about that doc, I'm pretty sure most bears are pretty darn big. Probably not involved in gang trouble though." Harry grins around the table, waiting for a laugh.

"C'mon fellas. He said with 'bare hands'...so you know. "bear" hands. Like a big bear...it's a joke."

"Awww, forget it already."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Since I just got back from training and don't have much time before I gotta sleep, if you guys want to set up who does what as a team, go ahead. Ray (and anyone else who has it) can use Streetwise for gang info. Doc may need someone's help convincing the cops to let him into the morgue, maybe someone with persuasion or connections (or just a decent bribe - he can afford it, being comfortable).

Unless anyone has any more questions for Brett, he'll take off, and suggest visiting the Bucket tonight.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The Final Bill

After settling matters of payment, Brett shakes Louis' hand to seal the deal, and heads out, probably to the Bucket to get ready for the night.

All that was left was to finish up lunch, pony up for the bill, finish up coffee and smokes, and get ready for work.

The case is afoot, as one might say.

Since earlier on you all had a rough plan formed (hit the streets for gang info, check the morgue to find a corpse), plan out who goes where. Feel free to do it in-character in this thread, or over at the OOC thread. I will point out that for this case, Hitting the Books and Legwork aren't required, just simple Streetwise and Investigation rolls.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Louis Broussard

Louis nods at his colleagues. "Again, thanks for the meal. It was... more interesting than I think any of us were expecting. I'll be at the Bucket tonight, and if anyone learns anything in the mean time I'd love for you to meet me there and let me know what you learned." He pauses, a small grin on his face. "First round on me if you show, yeah?"

That said, he stands and gestures to Beattie. "Our job's easier if the body is in the morgue, so let's start there. If it's not... well, then we'll need to pay the Crowbars a visit, I guess. Shall we go?"

OOC: Sorry, I had a weird few days. Louis thinks the body is the best first move, and doesn't see the need to invite anyone besides the doctor along. I figure that everyone else can focus on learning the mood of the city, tracking down contacts, and so on. The Bucket after an intro investigation seems like the best rally point; if anyone objects, I'd say do it in character as a good way to build up rapport, good or ill, between the players.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Louis, you're familiar with the workers at the local morgue, yes? Do you think you can convince them to let us in?" Dr. Beattie asks. He could just pay them off, of course, but that makes one... memorable, which made him a little nervous. He didn't like the idea of the police looking too closely into his affairs.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
"Before you all wander off to the morgue, I'd like to answer your questions Louie, the quicker it's done the less I need to think about it" Duke was waiting long enough and he didn't want to wait no more.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis nods at Beattie. "I should be able to manage something."

Louis raises an eyebrow at Duke. "You already answered my question, can you keep quiet about our conversation? You said yes. Were you lying?"

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
Duke uneasily shuffles around and bites his fingernails but doesn't feel comfortable saying anything more.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis looks a moment longer at Duke, but it's clear he's not speaking. "Fine, just remember, you stayed sitting when I suggested you leave.

"C'mon, doc, let's go to the morgue."

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Harry Allen

After polishing off the remnants of Sam's meal (silence is very similar to permission after all), Harry gets up himself. "I know a few of the old sots drinking their rent out around the bucket. Couple of 'em might know something interesting."

Before leaving, he turns to Duke, "Hey, kid. You seem like a nice guy." He pauses, sips a quick nip from his flask before stuffing it back under his coat. "City like this can really do a number on a nice guy. My advice, get yourself a poker face and some thicker skin...or get some cash and get out of town. Cheers!"

I figured Harry'll investigate things around the Bucket with Streetwise to try and gather some info: 1d8.open(8)=5, 1d6.open(6)=2. If anyone wants to tag along, feel free.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 17, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

You mean Duke, not Louis, right?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I did indeed

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

For Oriongates' roll: once everyone groups up and heads out to do their thing, I'll reveal the results of his roll. Spoiler: you'll get some info.

So I can put it on paper as to who's goin' where and doin' what:

Louis and Dr. Beattie are going to the morgue.
Harry is hitting the streets around the Bucket for info.
Duke is ...being worried.
And Ray needs to pop in.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Back from weekend guard drill, time to post some Noir. Since Harry made his Streetwise roll, and Louis and Dr. Beattie are heading to the morgue, I'll write them in for these scenes. If Duke and Ray want to pop in, either the scenes or somewhere else, just post.

The Gutters of the Bucket

Harry heads to the Quarter and the Bucket, talks to some of the locals. What they know isn't a lot, but they do pass word about the recent fights at the Bucket. They started about four days ago, with things increasing in intensity after each fight. Word is it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed there, and if one gangmember kills another gang's boy, it's only a short hop and skip into full on gang war.

NOPD Morgue

It'll take some sweet talk (or a bribe, you two can roleplay the interaction how you want) to convince the desk clerk to let you down to the morgue. At least the clerk's not one of Louis' old associates.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raymond Deville

Ray gets up and follows Harry onto the streets, on the one hand he might be ablet o identify if someone was punched to death, for ... reasons, but on the other hand Harry is going off on his own to talk to the people of the streets, and well he might need a little help with that.

Streetwise (1d6.open(6)=5, 1d6.open(6)=5)

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Live Streets, Dead Man

Ray shadows Harry and, in addition to asking questions, helps act as deterrent to any thugs looking for a mark to roll.

Ray hears the same talk Harry got - the fights started four nights ago, things are looking like they're coming to a head. Someone said he and some pals were heading to the Bucket to start a running bet of who's the rear end in a top hat who shuts down the Bucket.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

As Louis led Dr. Beattie towards the desk, he whispered back to the doctor, "I don't know him, just follow my lead."

He stopped in front of the desk and gave the uniform a brief nod. "Louis Broussard, Dr. Beattie, here to see the battered body found in Crowbar territory." As he talked, he spun the visitor log around on the table and began to sign himself and Dr. Beattie in. Louis knew he couldn't smooth talk this guy, but if you act like you're supposed to be there, and scare the poo poo out of anyone who questions you, you can usually get by.

I know I'll need a roll eventually, but so far Louis hasn't done anything roll-worthy. But when this poor cop questions him, then I'm likely going intimidation.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The Desk

The cop in charge looks at the both of you. "Yeah, sure. Wait....how did you know about the -" he quickly shuts up as gears start trying to turn.

Meanwhile, There's Duke

Duke is...

Unstoppabro, tell me where Duke is and what he's doing. Duke is going to experience a Dramatic Interlude, I need a little bit of setup.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis finished signing in Beattie and himself, and spun the log book back towards the uniform. "Not to worry, I remember the way." He gestured to Beattie and began walking towards where he remembered the body storage room to be.

I'm not rolling until he tries to stop us. Because I'm going to try and scare the poo poo out of him if he tries to stop us, and I'm only pulling that speech out if I need to. Especially because it's going to have long-term consequences for Louis.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Dr. Beattie smiled to the desk jockey.

"Ah, sir. I'm here to examine the body before lividity advances too far and destroys important clues. For example, if we were to find subdural bleeding in the vicinity of the tracheal passageway, there's a strong possibility of strangulation. Hold this, sir," he said, handing his medical bag to the man, opening it as he did so. "Now, if on the other hand we discover bile in the abdominal cavity, that suggests a rupture of the liver. Nasty way to go, that." He pulled a medical gown from the bag and began putting it on over his clothes. "Contrariwise, we may discover cranial bleeding, which would suggest cause of death was a head injury." He pulled out a pair of rubber gloves and pulled them on, snapping them as he did so. "And, of course, we may find all of these, in which case we will need to look very closely indeed to discover which was the ultimate cause of death." He pulled out a scalpel. "Would you care to watch, sir? I promise it won't take too long. My Alice is expecting me home, you know."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The Desk

The cop actually pales as he listens to Dr. Beattie's explanations. "Okay, okay, you know your stuff, just go down and do what you need to do," he takes the log. "I'm staying put here, thank goodness." He points the way downstairs.

With that roll, ...yeah, you get access.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Harry

Upon hearing about the betting pool Harry's eyes light up a bit and he grins at the fellow who offered the information, "You don't say? I might like a slice of that pie myself. Any idea who the smart money's on right now?"

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
Duke is walking back to his apartment after dinner, he goes and stops to buy a carton of cigarettes and have a little chat at a kiosk one of his friends owns (YOU can maybe take control of him, Dedman)
Duke is hoping to just get back to his room, have a good night's rest and forget this ever happened.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Harry and the Violence Pool

The "usual suspects" the guys Harry ask seem like people they have issues with, from rival gangs (the Jackrabbits and The Laughing Boys, for example) to random people ("That Bastard Sullivan"). It's kinda like rooting for your least favorite sports team. Only thing for certain, to know the score, you gotta get to the Bucket.

Duke and His Walk.

Duke tries to forget about the troubles he's seen today, only to remember a whole different thing...

I drew a Seven of Hearts for your Dramatic Interlude, which means this Interlude is about Love. Spin us a little story about someone who Duke has affection for. Who is it? Where are they? Is is a story of love lost, or love waiting to be? In these times, sometimes love is all you need - or what makes things worse. Will Duke play the romantic blues, or is there truly happiness waiting? Feel free to invoke another character if you want - and try to give Duke some way to head to the Bucket tonight.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Harry

"Feel like a drink Sam? Course ya do."

Without waiting for an affirmative Harry takes a swig from his flask and heads towards the Bucket.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
As Duke buys a pack he turns to his friend and asks "Is that Melissa from back when we were kids?"
"Yep."
Duke feels a sudden pang of emotion as his heart flares up at the memories of her. It was the last thing Duke expected and the only thing that day that put a smile on his face. He then proceeds spouting out stories to his friend until he gathers the courage to go and say hello, he starts walking up to her with a spring in his step. After a slightly prolonged greeting and even more prolonged hug he looks in her eyes with the same childlike wonder he had years ago.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Once in the morgue, Dr. Beattie identifies the drawer holding the deceased. He pulls it open and begins his examination. His hands shake as he does so, and he takes a moment to stop and calm himself to proceed, but he can't seem to calm himself. "I'm sorry, Louis. I just... I keep seeing her."

Wow. Invisible Castle is punishing me for my earlier hubris, clearly. 2,2 on the first roll, then bennied it to get 1,3. Glad that wasn't a patent science roll.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Duke and Melissa

...and they say there's no joy in the city.

Duke and Melissa start talking in between old memories, she's in the city for a couple weeks, staying at Lonette's for the time being, - and she said they're going to a bar tonight. Is it normal for a place to call itself the Bucket of Blood?

Unless Duke wants to continue the talk, feel free to wrap it up, and take a Bennie (FateChip count for Duke = 4)

The Morgue and the Dead

...and they say there's no joy in the city. They're right.

Poor Dr. Beattie. Instead of seeing the causes of death, all he can see is her face. That's gotta shake up the normally solid surgeon. Maybe Louis can use his private eyes, and see what Dr. Beattie can't.

drat, those are bad rolls. Since you didn't roll snake-eyes and trigger a Critical Failure, if you wanted you could spend another Bennie to try again, but from what I'm reading you're staying put. Louis, you can try to roll Notice, you won't get the hard medical details, but you might be able to put something together.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raymond Deville

Ray agrees that going to the Bucket is a good next step, and cracks his knuckles before following Harry, but ... "Sam?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

gently caress."It's ok, doc. Let me take a look, and we'll get out of here. We'll head for the Bucket, maybe get you a drink."

Louis leans over the body, eyes scanning for anything he can pick up. Doctor at the table when the case drops in his lap, it seemed fortuitous, but no, it's the one doc in the Big Easy who freezes up when the patient's already dead to begin with. Leaving Louis holding the bag. Luckily, Louis has experience at holding the bag, and his eyes are more steady than his gun hand at this point in life.

1d6.open(6)=4, 1d6.open(6)=9 Notice Roll (sorry, just got to a computer I could do the roll at!). I think that's a good enough roll to notice anything important?

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Louis and his Private Eyes

Louis may not have proper medical training, but he does know how it generally looks when someone gets ten types of poo poo knocked outta him. But something about this guy's off...it doesn't look like a gang of goons beat him to death...no, judging by some repeating marks, it looks more like the work of one person. With larger than usual hands.

Louis finds a clue! Feel free to wrap this up, and everyone get ready to see if the Bucket of Blood lives up to it's name...

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

One man? Louis found it hard to believe, but the marks from the bruises were clear. "C'mon, doc, let's get out of here before they figure out we're not supposed to be here." He gestures for Dr. Beattie to follow and walks out the door.

"I don't know about you, but I need a drink."

To the bar!

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
Duke walks in to the oddly named Bucket of Blood soaking wet, he would have brought an umbrella for the rain if he had one. As he looks for Melissa and friends, he spots a familiar figure but he can't get his finger on who it is. Duke begins to approach the large suited figure.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The Big Man

Duke approaches the large man clumsily nursing a beer.

Duke knows "Tall Man" Richard Hall from some gigs. Nice guy, good bass player - that is, until his hand got broken. Seems after two weeks of having a bandaged right hand, Rich still hasn't gotten able to get his left working right.

"Oh hey Duke," he nods. "How's things? You here for the gig? I'd go for it, but" - he waggles his left hand and shows up his bandaged right - "haven't quite learned to play piano left-handed yet."

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
"I came to meet an old friend but I'd be more than glad if you came along with us. And about that hand, I know a guy that could help you, a Dr. Beattie. He is a bit...creative, but he gets the job done." Duke stands around for a bit before signalling Richard to follow.
"You know, after your hand heals we could play a few gigs together." Duke's day seems to be filled with so many people, new and old.

Unstoppabro fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 30, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

"... telling you, Doc, it was one guy, with massive hands." Louis led Beattie through the door, still talking about the body. "And I don't know how often you punch someone, but it hurts. That level of damage means a lot of punches, and that level of damage, suggests we're looking for a single, big man with busted hands, rather a lot like..."

As he walked and talked, Louis also was scanning the joint. No sign of Ray or Harry, exits and bathroom there, and out of the blue Duke talking with...

Louis stopped dead in his tracks. "... actually, rather a lot like the man Duke's talking with right now."

Sorry, weekend got away from me.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Duke Coleman
As Duke scans around for Melissa he surprisingly finds ANOTHER familiar face. "Speaking of, here's the doctor himself. Beattie! Over here!" he he signals to him.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Harry wanders into the Bucket, Ray in tow. Although he quickly spots Louis and the others he has his priorities straight and heads for the bar first. "Cheapest stuff you have." He pats his pockets dramatically, " I may be a bit short, Ray you mind covering this round? I'll take care of next time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

The Bar Scene

Duke gestures his friends Louis and Dr. Beattie to meet his friend Richard. As they approach, the tall man waves with a bandaged right hand, then catches himself. "Sorry, reflex. I'm Richard Hall, played a few gigs with Duke here, and figure anyone jake with Duke is jake with me. He says you're a doctor," he turns (and looks down) at Beattie. " My paw's been itchin' since it broke, could you help? Like, some ointment or something?"

• Locked thread