Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

http://www.bobanddoug.com/sounds/gwn/the_call.mp3

Good day, welcome to a very special UFC edition of the Great White North: the GDT for UFC Fight Night 74, 9 p.m. ET Sunday, Aug. 23 on Fox Sports 1.

Today we’re gonna talk about our topic, and the topic is the UFC. Now this is not our first time being involved with the UFC to say the least, we’ve had a pretty good champion in that little Frenchie fella and then me and my brother Doug leant our name to one of our earliest MMA pioneers. But seeing as this is the UFC’s first trip to beautiful downtown Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, how could we not get involved, eh? We gotta have this fight on a Sunday so we can sleep off Saturday night.

Featherweight

Max Holloway

vs.

Charles Oliveira

Boy that Maxie Holloway sure is an ugly little hoser, eh? But that’s ok because the kid can fight. I’m not gonna tell him he’s ugly to his face, are you Doug? Anyway, this little guy’s on a six-fight win streak ever since he got beat by Conor McGregor, who’s the champ, kinda. He’s finished all but one of them and at the ripe young age of 23 he’s got nowhere to go but up. Plus he’s been in the UFC since he’s been old enough to buy a beer so he’s got plenty of experience over the past four years, eh?

Charles Oliveira is another young guy who’s real dangerous at featherweight, but he’s a pretty big hoser and misses weight some times. He’s real dangerous at grappling and all that good stuff, he’s got seven submissions in the UFC (eight if you count the one that got overturned) and he’s only repeated a submission twice, eh? He spends more time on his back than bacon, but he can roll his own, eh? Anyone who isn’t excited for this fight can take off.

Welterweight

Neil Magny

vs.

Erick Silva

Neil Magny is a real active fella, he’s had about a dozen fights in the past month and he only lost one of them two days ago eh? I don’t know what that’s aboot but he’s fillin’ in for Rick Story, who cut his thumb poppin’ open a cold one or somesuch injury. Magny’s main weakness is getting hurt early and falling into submissions and that’s not gonna do him any favors against this hoser, eh?

Erick Silva kicks the bajeezus out of bad fighters and gets the bajeezus kicked out of him by good fighters. Magny is in the gray area so if he can survive the early blitz this is anybody’s fight, and these fellas are gonna try and find themselves a nice $ 65,935 bonus check at the end of the night. That’s a lot of loonies, eh?

Welterweight

Patrick Cote

vs.

Josh Burkman

Hide your horses from this hoser, eh? If he doesn’t eat ‘em, they’ll die of boredom from watchin’ Patrick Cote fight. This Quebecer used to be a middleweight contender, eh? But then good middleweights showed up so he had to move down. In his first UFC win by KO since 2008, he was the guy who got KO’d eh? He beat Joe Riggs in what I’m pretty sure was a fight over who got to cash in their CPP, or I guess QPP in his case, eh?

Josh Burkman calls himself the People’s Warrior, but I’m not sure who he’s fighting for, eh? He washed out of UFC a while ago like Patrick Cote, and like Cote he did pretty OK in the B-leagues afterward and then came back and looked real bad. He’s yet to win in his return though, but that hoser Hector Lombard did give him an overturned NC at least, eh? This fight coulda been made in 2007 and it wouldn’t make much difference either way.

Lightweight

Chad Laprise

vs.

Francisco Trinaldo

Chad Laprise represented the Great White North against the Great Gold South in the Ultimate Fighter and won the show for us, proving we’ve got what it takes to be the best commonwealth. Take that Australia, ya hosers! He’s undefeated since winning the show and picked up a bonus check for fight of the night in his last fight against someone you’ve never heard of.

Trinaldo lost a decision to Michael Chiesa and was submitted by Piotr Hallmann. I don’t even have a joke for that, that’s serious.

Lightweight

Olivier Aubin-Mercier

vs.

Tony Sims

Got us another Quebecer, eh? “The Quebec Kid” lost to Laprise on the show in a split decision and has finished both his fights since by submission. He’s a real ace on the ground there, eh? He’s gonna be coming for the takedowns for sure, eh?

I think I made Tony Sims in UFC Undisputed 3 and he came to life, eh? Maybe it’s time to quit drinkin’ for the night.

Strawweight

Maryna Moroz

vs.

Valerie Letourneau

Maryna Moroz knocked out that little Scottish girl in under a minute and called out Joanna Champion. She’s undefeated and Ukranian so UFC’s gonna have a real soft spot for her, eh? If Joanna gets past Gadelha and Maryna wins Sunday I expect to so many fireworks in that fight it’ll look like 1 July.

The third French Canadian on the card, Valerie Letourneau didn’t make it into the house in TUF 18, but she was pretty undersized for that season and she’s made it back into the UFC. Her only losses are Gadelha, Alexis Davis and Sarah Kaufman, and she beat the tar out of Jessica Rakoczy who was the TUF 18 finalist (somehow.)

OTHER FIGHTS TO WATCH, EH?

Fox Sports 1 Prelims, 7 p.m. ET
Lightweight Sam Stout vs. Frankie Perez
Bantamweight Yves Jabouin vs. Felipe Arantes
Light Heavyweight Marcos Rogério de Lima vs. Nikita Krylov
Flyweight Chris Kelades vs. Chris Beal

UFC Fight Pass Early Prelims, 6 p.m. ET
Lightweight Shane Campbell vs. Elias Silvério
Light Heavyweight Misha Cirkunov vs. Daniel Jolly

Official Weigh-Ins, 6 p.m. ET Saturday, Aug. 22
[url] http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-night-saskatoon-official-weigh-in-2015[/url]

Official MMA Snack Rating: Some Tim Horton’s and a cold one, maybe a little back bacon if you have time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
It's going to be interesting to see the SK (and other Canadian) refs instead of the usuals. I hope they don't gently caress it all up.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Sunday cards are retarded

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dza posted:

It's going to be interesting to see the SK (and other Canadian) refs instead of the usuals. I hope they don't gently caress it all up.

The UFC is smart enough that they aren't going to let the sask ref that's done 6 amateur boxing matches officiate their bouts. I expect they are going to fly in officials from the states and maybe quebec. I wouldn't be surprised to see Herb Dean at this card.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Silva was on the bad end of the third most exciting fitch fight ever. Burkman, otoh, was on the winning side of the second best one.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

A guy from TUF 2 fighting a guy from TUF 4 in 2015. What a world.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I was curious as to what snack rating you were going to choose.
Was hoping for Saskatoon Berry Pie, but with featherweights as the main, Tim-Bits would have been good too.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
oliveira v holloway is top shelf

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I dont think its fair to characterize Erick Silva like that. He had a chance to win against Dong, Brown and Fitch, but they endured and took advantage of his stamina and/or aggression, OP

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Erick Silva is incredibly dangerous, until existential doubt comes along and the ensuing ennui makes him too disinterested to win.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 22, 2015

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I can't believe Magny is fighting Erick Silva after having lost 20 days ago. The dude is tough and maybe his dark reign can start again.

I hope the max holloway fight is great. He has had some good fights and is a good fighter.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

Boy that Maxie Holloway sure is an ugly little hoser, eh? But that’s ok because the kid can fight. I’m not gonna tell him he’s ugly to his face, are you Doug? Anyway, this little guy’s on a six-fight win streak ever since he got beat by Conor McGregor, who’s the champ, kinda. He’s finished all but one of them and at the ripe young age of 23 he’s got nowhere to go but up. Plus he’s been in the UFC since he’s been old enough to buy a beer so he’s got plenty of experience over the past four years, eh?

The drinking age in Canada is 18, not 21; immersion ruined :mad:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I thought it was 19, whoopsie daisy!

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

19 in Saskatchewan

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

mewse posted:

The UFC is smart enough that they aren't going to let the sask ref that's done 6 amateur boxing matches officiate their bouts. I expect they are going to fly in officials from the states and maybe quebec. I wouldn't be surprised to see Herb Dean at this card.
http://cjme.com/story/ufc-refs-not-making-it-saskatoon/575417

"fans won’t be seeing the Herb Dean’s and John McCarthy’s at SaskTel Centre"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dza posted:

http://cjme.com/story/ufc-refs-not-making-it-saskatoon/575417

"fans won’t be seeing the Herb Dean’s and John McCarthy’s at SaskTel Centre"

I wasn't too far off, the UFC is paying to fly in officials. Glad they're from nearby provinces.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

lovely dream prophecy post: Erick Silva gets a quick armbar and taps Neil Magny early and holds it after he taps and then transitions to a triangle hold as the ref tries to break it. everyone hates Erick Silva

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

fatherdog posted:

I think it's only 18 in Quebec -- definitely 19 in Ontario.

mewse
May 2, 2006

18 in Manitoba and Alberta as well, everywhere else 19

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Wait wtf this is on sunday

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Lloyd Boner posted:

Wait wtf this is on sunday
This is me, trying to set it for my DVR.

So you've got a fight card that will likely go to midnight for people in EST, on a Sunday? And a card with essentially no appeal outside the hardcores, and even they are conditioned to watch MMA on Saturdays?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Sometimes they have events on Sunday, this isn't new.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really wanted to go to this card but I couldn't find anyone to go with me, and then some poo poo came up this weekend that I can't skip.

Owell.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Weighins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYRkoi3o83o

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

CommonShore posted:

I really wanted to go to this card but I couldn't find anyone to go with me

Owell.
Me too. Some because it was on a Sunday and they didn't want to burn vacation time, and others because they thought the card was poo poo.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
holy poo poo Nikita Krylov is on this card

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bundt Cake posted:

oliveira v holloway is top shelf

It really is an insanely good fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this fight is also significant in the 'dudes i used to confuse in my head' case. which one really exists? tune in next week to find out

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
really? I get confusing other fighters but I don't see how it happened with Oliveira and Holloway. Oliveira was already in big fights before Holloway ever got signed to UFC and he doesn't fight the same way at all.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah it's really unfair because they're both seriously good, they look completely different, names dissimilar, i can't explain it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Max Holloway spent so long looking like a skinny, undernourished kid that I couldn't accept that he was also the guy I'd seen punch multiple people's heads off.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Snowman_McK posted:

Max Holloway spent so long looking like a skinny, undernourished kid that I couldn't accept that he was also the guy I'd seen punch multiple people's heads off.

Max Halloway always reminds me of that gif of the cocky boxer kid who looks like he's 50lbs dancing around like an rear end in a top hat, who then just gets knocked the hell out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Who was the dude with the Iron Chef avatar who said Holloway looks like a kid in Waipahu, Oahu who would ask you to buy him beer then his friends jump you with a bat if you don't? It's accurate still

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Silva should be a ring boy for the women's bouts. He's sexiiii.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

maffew buildings posted:

Who was the dude with the Iron Chef avatar who said Holloway looks like a kid in Waipahu, Oahu who would ask you to buy him beer then his friends jump you with a bat if you don't? It's accurate still

This guy. I still think that...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I think Holloway is the most well spoken person from Waianae I have ever heard, to his credit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pepperchomp posted:

This guy. I still think that...

Nothing has changed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still want to see one of the hawaiian fighters go full on pidgin and Joe to ask one of the teammates to translate.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Light Heavyweight rubberguard worked about as well as you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

This guy is approaching Jake Shields levels of red.

• Locked thread