Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

lame. really wondering what it is. didn't look like enough went on to cause a serious injury. i've had lovely neck spasms that i could have swore were a fracture when they happened so hopefully its something benign like that. I was excited for this fight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Marching Powder posted:

i feel really bad for canada
Calgary, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon were all meh. Go Canadian prairies!

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Jesus

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Could've been a nerve injury. That stuff hurts more than a break.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey guys I just got back and I'm stoked because I dvred the fight, so no spoilers! This is such a great matchup, and the only way that it won't be insanely cool is if after the first exchange Oliviera just randomly falls down clutching his neck or shoulder or something.

:robble:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
ncie main even, lol. at least we got to see olivera in pain. prince tut lookin' buster

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Wow, I hope that's just precautionary.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

i feel really bad for canada

the card up until that point was pretty good though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

the card up until that point was pretty good though.

yeah but i can't name anyone not cote / burkman oliveira / holloway not an hour since the event finished, which is more what i was getting at

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Well that was unfortunate.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Thread title is now eerily accurate as a reaction to the main event.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

argondamn posted:

The way he went to the floor like that was weird.

Yeah that was uncomfortable. It really looked like something bad went wrong for the dude.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Max Holloway, who looks like Dale Gribble's son, somehow has a smoking hot wife. Also he is good at fighting. What a world.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Dale Gribble's son

Lmao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I love that Holloway celebrated like he just won the featherweight title with a devastating finish while in his home town in Hawaii

Instead he won because Olivera got hurt during a takedown and they're in Canada.

Yeah that was funny, he was more excited than Weidman after Silva 2.

Just watched the main and co-main, the rest worth watching?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Max Holloway, who looks like Dale Gribble's son

Maybe, if his hair was longer and covered up his ears a bit. :agesilaus:

EmmyOk posted:

Just watched the main and co-main, the rest worth watching?

I think so. Although I was there in person, and things are always a little more exciting live. So my opinion may be skewed a bit.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 24, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Burkman Cote was amazing. There were a few really fun fights on the prelims too.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Maybe, if his hair was longer and covered up his ears a bit. :agesilaus:

That's not Dale's son. Dale's son is just a theoretical thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sprecherscrow posted:

That's not Dale's son. Dale's son is just a theoretical thing.

His last name is Gribble. Why quibble?

Feb 1, 2005

Dza posted:

Wow, I hope that's just precautionary.

So - any word on him yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evil spiff posted:

So - any word on him yet?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/24/9197137/charles-oliveira-explains-injury-hopes-for-rematch-against-max posted:

Charles Oliveira’s four-fight winning streak was snapped on Sunday night due to an injury at the UFC Fight Night 74 main event in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and it wasn’t the first time the Brazilian suffered that type of injury.

"do Bronx", who got injured after shooting for a takedown against Max Holloway a minute and a half into the opening round, spoke to MMAFighting.com on Monday morning and explained he had a neck injury going into the fight.

"I injured my neck in training, but did physical therapy and thought everything was fine," Oliveira told MMAFighting.com, "but when I fell against the cage everything went numb, I couldn’t feel my body."

The UFC featherweight was rushed to the hospital right after the fight, and has yet to be released by the doctors. "I’m still doing a lot of exams here at the hospital," he said.

Following a frustrating loss, "do Bronx" hopes the UFC books a rematch against Holloway, who has now won seven in a row in the featherweight division.

"I trained really hard for this fight," Oliveira said. "I would like a rematch because there was no fight. I got injured literally the first time I attacked."

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Reoccurring neck injuries that seem to randomly cause everything to go numb are probably bad for a fight career.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/08/ufc-es...mpaign=facebook

quote:

While the fighter was clearly hurt, the exact nature of the injury wasn’t immediately clear. However, a UFC PR official, as well as Dr. Jeff Davidson, a UFC medical consultant who worked the event, today told MMAjunkie that Oliveira suffered a micro-tear of his esophagus in the fight.

That's a new one.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Very nice. That one I totally see.

Feb 1, 2005

That can't be an easy fix. I mean, maybe it heals fine with rest, but that even happening in the first place can't be good for longevity?

Or just BRAZIL

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

evil spiff posted:

Or just BRAZIL

Considering it came from UFC employees I doubt it is that.

Feb 1, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Considering it came from UFC employees I doubt it is that.

Brazil's magic reaches far and wide and cannot be explained or understood by Modern Medicine.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

You could kind of tell it was something with his neck. Thought maybe broken collarbone at first but you could tell it was something serious.

That sucks. If it's happened twice now, hard to think it won't be a problem going forward.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
glad that charles "DA BEARS" aloe vera lost, so we can continue to see Joseph Gribble in the bright spotlight of the big maincard show's

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Scrapez posted:

You could kind of tell it was something with his neck. Thought maybe broken collarbone at first but you could tell it was something serious.

That sucks. If it's happened twice now, hard to think it won't be a problem going forward.

He's a loving fighter which made the whole situation so painful to watch. You saw his face go, "Whaaat. No. Nope. NOPE. I'M DONE" It was really creepy and bizarre to watch. Hope the dude is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

aloe vera drank too much malk

Empty quoting this.

• Locked thread