Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
post here about how venom snake is ocelot and bb's love child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Ocelot dies.
Kaz dies.
Huey dies.
Big Boss dies.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Also gonna go out on a limb and say that Skullface probably dies to.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Come to think of it, everyone dies eventually.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Zero dies.

30 years later.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i

personally am very mad about spoilers

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Why does Big Boss have a rock or whatever sticking out of his forehead?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mangoose posted:

Why does Big Boss have a rock or whatever sticking out of his forehead?

He's already a demon.

Presumably its debris from the GZ helicopter crash.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All known confirmed spoilers, via the guide, to date.
None of these are tagged.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3hxof1/leak_megathread_refresh_2_any_unofficially/cubipkz

e: fixed confusing wording.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

We actually play as Decoy octopus.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkA8-fhcvxA

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

So why did they get Keif to be Snake? I've always been of the opinion that Kurt Russel would be better as Snake.

Unless maybe that's the twist and the whole game is just a dream Kurt Russel had when he was all coked up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Aurain posted:

All known confirmed spoilers, via the guide, to date.
None of these are tagged.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3hxof1/leak_megathread_refresh_2_any_unofficially/cubipkz

e: fixed confusing wording.

It sounds like that guide uses a lot of speculation and hinting for some reason? Why would an official guide do that if it's supposed to be spoiler free, that's really odd.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really hope that you actually play as BB and the guide stuff is just because of it only being partially read and explained.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Unlike Mortal Kombat's guides of decades past where it was a stupid piece of poo poo guide that lied to you, I would welcome lies in a story-centric spy game that doesn't spoil poo poo for me outright, just tell me how to dismantle the mission in 10 minutes or less.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
In case anyone is wondering, the big spoiler is that you don't play as Big Boss, but rather as the medic from GZ. There's an Ahab/Ishmael thing going on, with Ahab probably being a clone or a body double, and Ishmael being the real BB who doesn't show up until the end of the game, if at all. The guide is so spoiler free that whole missions are missing from it, so until someone gets their hands on it and figures out how to unlock the last mission there still isn't a whole lot known. It appears that Eli is definitely Liquid Snake.

My question is - How long did Kojima know that this was going to be the last MGS? I wonder if that reflects in the story - If this one finally resolves everything, or if it ends on an unresolvable cliffhanger.

EDIT: Oh, there's also supposed to be something mind-blowing for beating GZ. So you might want to do that if you haven't, I guess.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Momomo posted:

It sounds like that guide uses a lot of speculation and hinting for some reason? Why would an official guide do that if it's supposed to be spoiler free, that's really odd.

The walkthrough is written to avoid major spoilers where possible, the Ishmael thing where the speculation is coming from is headed up with a disclaimer saying

"Konami said we're not allowed to reveal the actual truth here."

But what they really mean is "We're not allowed to reveal it, but these are the clues that explain something very very specific written in a manner where there's only one logical outcome that we're using vague language for because we're not allowed to say "Venom Snake is not Big Boss", but we can say "Venom Snake probably isn't Big Boss, here's why in great detail".

The Ishmael page is in a section of that guide that has clear spoiler warnings too at the start of it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Kojima's master stroke is that our beloved Big Boss is actually some trash tier scrub medic who had an E in every stat

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
there was a video that konami have take down, of a dude flipping through the guide and the page someone translated with all the ahab venom big boss stuff was no where to be seen.

alot of the stuff seems true but it sounds like that dude really liked the whole grey fox/decoy octupus/medic is venom stuff and started to gently caress with everyone. sounds like everything is made to gently caress with everyone. apparantly all the review copies dont have the ending in them either because either they took it out for reviewers or it sounds like you have to unlock it like peace walker. (could be needing a GZ import, which would be pretty cool)

so this could be another kojima loving with fans thing to push the theme that words can kill. check out how many people are freaking out over this while it seems none of them have a played a metal gear game before. alot of the stuff makes sense for the larger plot of the series.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Kojima's master stroke is that our beloved Big Boss is actually some trash tier scrub medic who had an E in every stat
Fine by me as long as we teach him to kick rear end and destroy everything, really

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

there was a video that konami have take down, of a dude flipping through the guide and the page someone translated with all the ahab venom big boss stuff was no where to be seen.

He uploaded another video later that shows that it was in the guide and the konami takedown only compounds and should shatter any doubt.

It's worth bearing in mind that we know absolutely nothing about how it all works out really and even if it sounds crap on paper (I actually like the sound of it), it could work super well in proper story telling.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm actually glad that Venom Snake isn't the real Big Boss. The Metal Gear series always built Big Boss up as this genetically perfect superman and then the actual Big Boss games show that he's only a well trained soldier with a larger than life image thrust upon him.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It was me, Snake! It was me ALL ALONG!

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Vikar Jerome posted:

(could be needing a GZ import, which would be pretty cool)

Actually that would be terrible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm actually glad that Venom Snake isn't the real Big Boss. The Metal Gear series always built Big Boss up as this genetically perfect superman and then the actual Big Boss games show that he's only a well trained soldier with a larger than life image thrust upon him.

I always felt like The Boss sort of threw their final fight anyway considering that her death was part of the operation.

No actual evidence for that, it just sort of "reads" that way to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That is why constantly going back to the reasons behind the Snake Eater Mission (and bringing back the Boss to fight him again) cheapens the hell out of everything. What started as Snake surpassing his mentor in a climactic final battle has turned into everyone being puppets and no one actually accomplishing anything on their own.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
If anyone actually looks up "Ahab" they probably get a lot of clues, hell Ahab meets with several prophets, one being Elijah the "Troubler of Israel". Hell, wasn't one of the songs for the mgs 5 trailer "Nuclear" talk about standing on the edge of a crater like the prophets once said?

And if that gives you a red exclamation mark and sets off your alert go look up Captain Ahab from Moby Dick

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I still don't understand what the difference between Big Boss and Venom Snake is.

vvv Ohhhhhhh, okay. Wasn't BB "Punished Snake" in Ground Zeroes?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

I still don't understand what the difference between Big Boss and Venom Snake is.

It seems quite likely that we're playing as a body double or clone. So while venom snake is running around doing stuff, BB is in the shadows, possibly either incarcerated in some fashion or simply staying out of the limelight.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

He's "Punished Snake" in the first Phantom Pain trailer from 2013. Before Ground Zeroes even existed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

We actually play as Decoy octopus.
GOTY all years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
feels to me like all of this is just a giant red herring. Snake is either boss/medic/ or ? or maybe everyone is secretly queequeg

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

I believe Miller addresses him as 'Boss' throughout the entirety of GZ, lending more credence that we're not playing as the same character.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I believe Miller addresses him as 'Boss' throughout the entirety of GZ, lending more credence that we're not playing as the same character.
The guy has a bunch of names, I don't think that necessarily says something one way or another. And he gave Solid Snake the name of "Old Snake", etc, Hideo likes to do that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

The guy has a bunch of names, I don't think that necessarily says something one way or another. And he gave Solid Snake the name of "Old Snake", etc, Hideo likes to do that.

thats my honest guess. BB is bb. and Ismael is probaly kojima/medic/solidus. or imagination.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dapper_Swindler posted:

or maybe everyone is secretly queequeg
Let it be this one

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CrashCat posted:

Let it be this one

"Suddenly a spear goes through BB chest. it was fired from a oil platform completely constructed out of coffins." called OUTER PEQUOD.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I am Big Boss.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
so giving it some thought, kojima is infamous for double play.

He was with raiden, with liquid ocelot being just....mind altered ocelot. To even The Boss being a triple agent.

I noticed that even Kojima has been promoting the guide, so what if... we're supposed to think that we aren't actually big boss?

Kojima maybe has goofy characters but he's not exactly an idiot when it comes to knowing his fanbase and how to screw with them. What if Ishmael is you. Ahab, the character is supposed to be an example of duality. I don't really have anything to go off other than Kojima has been promoting that guide, and why wouldn't someone spoil it immediately after getting their copy?

I don't think even the guide book is upfront and forthcoming about plot specifics. Especially if they worked with Kojima in the past, and if they worked with him then that just gives more control to Kojima and how he can direct the fans (who have been chomping at the bits for details since the ishmael appearance back in 2013) into a way of thinking he wants them too. Perhaps the horns on his head aren't even real, just a fabrication of his mind. No one else in the game has made reference to them.

All in all I'd be very disappointed if we don't actually get to play as BB but some grunt that somehow has his CQC talents. Even with all the cool stuff it seems like you're never in control of the important so and so, which i guess is par for the course in Kojima games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The guide explicitly said they aren't allowed to give a lot of detail, we're literally running on broad strokes of a narrative-light guide translated by some jagoff on the internet. I'm sure the main points of the story are true but there's a ton of nuance likely being lost so it's hard to have any opinion beyond 'yea seems interesting'.

• Locked thread