Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Katamari Democracy posted:

So how do you pronounce the name of the new Metal Gear?

Sa-hel-anthro-pus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sahelanthropus is also an extinct hominid genus from central Africa, so we'll probably be fighting Getter Robo Metal Gear on the Africa map.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

havenwaters posted:

Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
aka Huey Emmerich Love Theme

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hopkins FBI posted:

So, uh...about Huey...

Dr. Strangelove is Otacon's mother.
Strangelove and Huey have a huge falling out after Huey suggests using a young Otacon as a test subject for piloting the Sahelanthropus/ST-84 Metal Gear.
Dr. Strangelove dies after she accidentally gets stuck inside the mammal pod and Huey lets her suffocate inside.
Huey also somehow causes a parasite outbreak at Mother Base and is banished afterward.
Huey goes on to live after being banished from Mother Base and meets Emma's mother.

tl;dr Huey is a shithead.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wasn't MGS3's story really lovely on paper when it first got leaked until people actually played it?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RatHat posted:

That doesn't explain anything, or even say he sabotaged it.

Hot Coldman spends most of his time making GBS threads on The Boss and her ideals, so it's pretty drat certain that he set her up to fall knowing full well what Volgin was like.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The third ending takes us back to Arlington, where Big Boss (voiced by Richard Doyle) and Solid Snake (archived audio of David Hayter) have one last heart-to-heart.

Just as Big Boss is about to die from FOXDIE, he sees a final vision of everyone he's met in his adventures, all living peacefully in the perfect Outer Haven.

He hugs Eli and George for the first time. He and Zero finally reconcile. EVA takes him into her arms for a kiss. And he shares one last spar with The Boss.

As Big Boss embraces peace for the first time in decades, Venom suddenly appears.

He exclaims "ROCKET PEACE" and fires his rocket arm at Big Boss's crotch.

FIN

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Skullface was the pantywaist guy, I thought this was agreed on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kojima's avoidance of involving or mentioning Solid Snake in this game is really weird and obvious. I think he's only directly mentioned once.

Like poo poo, a simple voice-over of the opening to MG1 would've been fine.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Perhaps Kojima was considering remaking MG1 and 2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The credits should've had footage from MG1 like MGS4 did during Ocelot's big speech at the end.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jack Trades posted:

So are there any clear info on who is Venom and who is Big Boss in other MGS games post TPP? Particularly MG1 and 2.

Venom is the Big Boss of MG1, Naked is the Big Boss of everything else.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's cool that this game reconciles "rear end in a top hat who tried to drown his stepdaughter" from MGS2 and "literally Otacon in a wheelchair" from Peace Walker in a pretty perfect way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Broken Cog posted:

The Quiet you fight during the Extreme mission of her boss battle is even different looking, having blonde hair and a soldier uniform. I thought you might get a non-canon copy of her if you beat it after doing mission 45.

...That's the Sniper Wolf costume.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Broken Cog posted:

Ah, that explains why you unlock that after beating that mission (which I couldn't check out because I had already done mission 45 beforehand).

Is dropping a box on her still a good way to beat her on Extreme?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Medic aka Venom "Punished" Snake aka Big Boss aka Vernon KaTaffy aka Ayatollah Kockamamie

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only truly canon parts of MG1 and MG2 are the stock footage seen in Ocelot's explanation of everything in MGS4.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Did we ever figure out where Zanzibar Land actually was?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I really like the way they handled Zero, actually.

He tries to stop the monster he and Big Boss made, but can't and is doomed to be trapped in his body until he's well over a hundred and Big Boss, who has no idea the lengths Zero went to help him, takes him off life support.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

randombattle posted:

I think the most hosed up thing about the ending is the name on the passport that Ocelot gives Big Boss is the name you pick.

Good thing I had the foresight to name my avatar Jack.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Twin Snakes is what Solid Snake tells himself is what happened on Shadow Moses.

"Yeah, I totally did a frontflip while firing a chaingun mounted on a fast-moving jeep to dodge Liquid's bullets."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Are you sure those aren't stories he's telling Sunny? :3:

"...and then there was this WOOOOSH jet sound and Grey Fox did like seven backflips in midair and then Uncle Hal pissed himself and..."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In It For The Tank posted:

The annoying thing is, if you put two names, it would screw up the message written on the back of the photograph where Big Boss is like "Dear [NAME]. You're Pretty Good, Love Vic Boss" because it makes it laughably impersonal as if Big Boss gives one to every single MSF member and just switches the name around.
That actually seems like something that Big Boss would do. Or at least Miller.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Venom clearly remembers Zero and Les Enfants Terribles in tapes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It turns out that Hayter getting replaced, Kojima getting released, the game getting cut, and the videos taken down are all part of a vast elaborate promotional scheme hatched by Kojima and Konami for the Mission 51 DLC and Operation Intrude DLC.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The game provides a good explanation for why Mantis joined up with FOXHOUND: Liquid is a loving endless wellspring of impotent hate and anger.

Also, I've heard that there's a tape that mentions that Eli is doing badly in his biology lessons.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TPP is more the story of how Huey ended up being the kind of guy to try to take his stepdaughter with him in his suicide.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If the next MGS game isn't about The Boss and her team fighting nazi death machines then what's even the point?

Or just make a MGR2. That'd also be neat.

Combine the two.

Cut Nazis in half with bullets while The Sorrow encourages you over radio "YES YES MOW THEM DOWN" and Glenn Miller music plays in the background.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The plot of Metal Gear is from an objective standpoint bad, but the sheer passion and love crafted into it makes you forget that and easily accept nanoparasites.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In what world did people play MGS for the boss fights?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lovely Wizard posted:

(also saying 'Chico wanted to see you')
Cue Eli being pushed into the room dressed like Chico.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Phantom Paz is so goddamn bubbly and adorable.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Good thing there's only two women in this game, and one of them is a figment of Big Boss's imagination.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Terminally Bored posted:

My favorite part of the plot was when five African children and Eli fixed a metal gear by themselves and then flew with it to the sunset. The gear ever fluttered its hands a little.

Huey: It needs to be piloted by a child, it should be able to be fixed by a child!

*Huey returns to work, ignoring the sounds of Strangelove slowly dying in Robo-Boss's brain*

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone remember the cutscene when the mist snipers are introduced in the Code Talker mission? Why doesn't the armored skull troops get that treatment?

*camera slowly pans downwards, giving full view as the Skull's crotch is covered in thick spikes*

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lovely Wizard posted:

https://soundcloud.com/gboon/sets/youre-fired-and-more-cut-snake-dialogue

Here's another bunch of cut dialogue.

It sounds pretty good fun stuff too.

CONSECUTIVE

C

Q

C

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Panzeh posted:

Eli has no character. All he does is want to fight and get mad, and Miller was way better at being mad than Eli.

That's how he was in MGS1, I don't see the issue here.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stop talking poo poo about Code Talker. Code Talker rules.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm sad we're not getting MGS WWII edition, because we'll never know how the gently caress they botched a c-section that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Deep down, Venom knows that Paz is dead, and that's why he doesn't mention it to Miller or Ocelot.

• Locked thread