Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

"It's OK to Raccoon" - Any dog ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

goose fleet posted:

The wild ones are wary of you and just want food. I think the ones kept as pets are more affectionate. Sometimes. They all have different personalities.

Raccoons are very intelligent. Wild raccoons are wary of humans because they know humans are likely to kill them. Sometimes it was food, sometimes it was competition for food, but when food is scarce humans will eat them or prevent them from eating our food. When food is plentiful humans are more prone to sharing with animals we like. Wild raccoons are still accustomed to "OH gently caress IT'S A MURDER APE" and will be very cautious. Humans can and will kill the crap out of raccoons if we feel like it. But at the same time they're also hungry and if they notice that you aren't going to kill it and have food they'll see if they can get food from you.

Urban raccoons, or ones that are around friendly humans a lot, learned that certain behavior patterns (i.e., being cute and non-threatening) will get them fed instead of murdered. I don't think domesticated is quite the word for it; they aren't like dogs. That's why you get areas where raccoons are friendly and practically pets. They're still ultimately wild but they've learned that if they're bros with humans then they get an easy food source.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The only thing stopping raccoons from sentience is rabies

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

crash cab is my favorite raccoon

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

:vince:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just have laser raccoons near me.

I was coming home, and there was one on top of the bins, and it scooted off as i came up, as I walked by, the other one was rumbling and another popped its head out
http://i.imgur.com/P0ilfEA.jpg

Another night, this fellow was just hanging out in the tree
http://i.imgur.com/07bPWoy.jpg

The worst thing is my apartment is right next to the bins, so I can hear them chittering and fighting and banging at night.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is my favorite thing ever and I don't want to be told it's not real

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No hyperbole I seriously almost just choked on my sandwich reading that.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BgRdMchne posted:

crash cab is my favorite raccoon

:v:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

From fb

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

This predates the Bush administration

Fat gorgeous bean

VVV: Swimp-Y.

cash crab has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Oct 3, 2015

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
SWIMP

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

She's beauty and she's grace.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Precious baby I want to hug.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

he's real https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9Yr1TqnW8

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hitler recorded in portrait you know.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

:3: I love her long legs. She looks like she is eating fries on stilts.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I like to think that the raccoon actually brought the Wendy's food with him into the guy's office to eat it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

:3: I love her long legs. She looks like she is eating fries on stilts.

Can you actually tell raccoon genders just by looking at them?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

what the gently caress posted:

That's pretty cool. I remember reading in NatGeo about the domesticated foxes and how it took something along the lines of 3 or 4 generations of foxes before they started displaying affection towards their keepers as opposed to just approaching for food, and all the wild fear had dissipated.

Same here if you read the Wiki page about Tasmanian Devils it says they are incapable of affection but a guy here recently has a couple that he's hand reared and he claims that they are incredibly affectionate. Having been with a few hand-reared ones myself and seen how loving savage they are, I find the changing attitude of an animal towards humans pretty interesting.

I just googled Tasmanian Devils because of this and oh my god you guys:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's about as cute as they get since the vast majority of them are either ripped up from fighting or covered in debilitating facial tumors

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Aesop Poprock posted:

iGestalt posted:

Albino Racoon's are pretty odd.

A bit nuts.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Kitty's got a puffy raccoon tail. Trying to blend in (or maybe they just got married, I don't know).

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

... :colbert: I can.

Lizard Wizard posted:

:3:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

It's a pheromone thing.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
A raccoon story:

When I worked at a summer camp, we left those little shelf-stable packets of butter out on the tables in the eating lodge. They were the little cups with the foil on top that you peel off. But then we would get into the place in the morning and they would be missing or they'd be empty: the foil ripped off and the little cups littering the tables. There were tons of rat traps everywhere (this is rural Michigan, so rat/squirrel traps) around the outside of the eating lodge, plus they locked up every other food source at night to keep smells from attracting animals. One of the central staff members even suggested it might be a camper who bragged about eating an entire stick of butter. So we decided to have two counselors stay in the eating lodge until after everyone had gone to sleep to catch the butter thief in the act. They stayed until about midnight when they heard the back screen door open, but not slam shut and little padded feet come into the eating lodge. Thinking they were about to catch a butter-craving 9 year old girl, they jump out with flashlights on and scare what was apparently the fattest raccoon either of them had ever seen. He didn't even freak out, he just ignored them and grabbed a butter cup to stick his little people hands into.

We named him Methuselah and left a little bowl of whatever we'd had for dinner at the back of the eating lodge after they started to lock up the butter every night.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Aesop Poprock posted:

That's about as cute as they get since the vast majority of them are either ripped up from fighting or covered in debilitating facial tumors

That and the noises they make are loving ungodly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

LEGALIZE RACCOON MARRIAGE

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

I abruptly regret my wedding choices so much

Also I loving love Methuselah the butter raccoon :kimchi:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Haha hold on I commented on this earlier but even in the picture you posted as an example of cuteness it's tail is torn to shreds and it's entire backside is coated in dried blood. I mean I still stand by saying it's the cutest you'll ever see one of them but it's hilarious that's literally probably the best you could do

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
In the flesh they really aren't cute. They look savage as gently caress. I was with my stepdad once who is a vet and had to take some skin samples of some that had been hand reared as orphans. It was terrifying. The females are 100x more aggressive than the males too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If Devils were the size of dogs, you wouldn't even be able to live in Tasmania.

Thankfully they're tiny enough to not threaten humans and are therefore adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!