Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Your neighborhood lover of PUZZLES and PURE NONSENSE!

FPzero posted:

I voted Madness expecting it was a middle-ground in terms of randomization. If it's a poo poo swordless preset then I'd say feel free to choose another one.

That's what I was going to do anyway.
I would have probably swapped it with Turmoil. Which is the one I thought it was.
But none of that matters since Madness didn't win anyway :D

Since it's been a while since I've posted the poll and I've seen that there are clear winners, I've decided that the next run is as follows:
Helpful Hints
Mixed Quest Overworld
Random Character
Mass Hysteria Preset

And the next run will be started soon as I have finished the Dischord Run!

Episode 3 - Well that was abrupt... New Audio. Should be fixed.

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocky1
Dec 24, 2004
Morand bought me this account to forever remind me that I am his bitch. Also, I will NEVER change this title.
Can you lower the music at all? It's very difficult to hear you over it. Very interesting videos otherwise.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Did you change the audio balance for this video? I can barely hear you over the dungeon music.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

Did you change the audio balance for this video? I can barely hear you over the dungeon music.

Ugh, I used the same settings as last time and I thought it sounded the same as last time.Maybe the settings screwed up during encoding...
I don't think I'll have time to fix it until Saturday...

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was going to comment about the audio balance as well. You need a 'ducking' plugin that automatically reduces the volume of the background audio track when you're talking over it. I have no idea how to set this up -- but the tech support thread could probably help.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Okay, sound is fixed. Should be all better now.

Here it is

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Just discovered this thread. What a cool idea. And yes, this does almost make me think of like, Binding of Isaac the way the unpredictability goes. Totally interested to see where this goes.

And Re: The Scheherazade stuff, that keys right into my long standing request that someone better than me at these sorts of games should start a "Zelda-Like" megathread. The games are short enough that it'd work fine as a megathread, and there's both enough official games in the same style as Zelda (Crystalis, Willow, Crusaders of Centy, the list goes on and on) and fan made games with like Zelda Classic that are interesting that I would be in seventh heaven for such a thread. Again, I'm not nearly good enough to support an LP of them though. Link's Awakening is probably the only one I know forwards and backwards enough to support a good looking video as opposed to "watch me wander for hours figuring things out".

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Apologies for the delay with this update. Real life stuff you know?

Anyway, it's time to start another run. The preset that was chosen actually changes an important concept in Zelda 1. What would happen if you were able to go into Level 9 as soon as you found it?

Run 2: Preset: Mass Hysteria (Seed: 1324354657687980)
Here is what changes in the Mass Hysteria Preset:
  • All the shuffling of the Dischord preset with the addition of shuffled warp points and starting sword cave.
  • Level 9 no longer requires having all 8 triforce pieces to enter and important items can be found within it. (Ladder, Recorder, Silver Arrow, etc)
  • Ganon must be killed in order to rescue Zelda
  • Dungeon start spots are randomized and enemies and bosses within them are also randomized.
  • Viewer requests: Helpful Hints, Mixed Quest Overworld, Random Character

Episode 4: Wizards have no sense of right, wrong, direction, or hitboxes.

I got a new mic so hopefully the myriad audio balance issues I've had should fix things.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think everyone that plays the first zelda tries to find gimmicks and then use them forever, often looking foolish as a result. Something about the game being so well known but so full of fancy tricks. I saw a guy once that kept trying to bomb darknuts and CLEARLY didn't understand how that trick worked, and wasted so many bombs.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love how fitting it is that the Wizard found the Wand so early.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lolo De Puzlo posted:

Episode 4: Wizards have no sense of right, wrong, direction, or hitboxes.

I got a new mic so hopefully the myriad audio balance issues I've had should fix things.

I really liked your use of Solstice music during the first sped-up section.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

All geared up and no frigging sword.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Calling it now, the swords are all in a dungeon, probably at least level 8 if not 9. Multiple swords in one dungeon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

All geared up and no frigging sword.

What, a piece of metal you have to hit people with? How utterly pedestrian.

*blows open the door to someone's house, is threatened with door repair fees, disappears in a puff of inventory menu*

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Calling it now, the swords are all in a dungeon, probably at least level 8 if not 9. Multiple swords in one dungeon.

As funny as that would be, the Wooden and Magical Swords are always found in a cave. No clue why the designer only let the White Sword be randomized. Maybe in a later edition.

Nemo2342 posted:

I really liked your use of Solstice music during the first sped-up section.

Well, we are playing as a wizard after all.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
eyy bro, what up? You wouldn't happen to have an update cooking would you? I think this might actually be my favourite zelda game ever. Played it a ton, and your LP takes me back. :)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Is uh, this thread dead now? You're doing the Famicom thread, so I'm suspecting possibly...which makes me sad, because we need more 2D Zelda style action in the sub-forum.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Is uh, this thread dead now? You're doing the Famicom thread, so I'm suspecting possibly...which makes me sad, because we need more 2D Zelda style action in the sub-forum.

Ehh... Well, here's the problem. Basically, at the point I am at in this run, the game decided to be kind of an rear end in a top hat and spike the difficulty. I also kind of forgotten where everything was so I'm basically going in wholly blind again.
Also, since the last update, I had some life adjustment things going on so I either didn't have the time to update or the energy to do so. I don't think that I'm calling it dead by any means and I don't want it to die. The problem is that I'm kind of weary about where I want to go with it. The reason I started the Famicom Disk thread was that was one where I could just put on a game for 20 minutes or so and putz around with it. Zelda Randomizer actually demands a bit of focus and involves a lot of getting lost.

I do actually have an episode that I need to commentate on, but I wanted to get that other thread up and going as I felt that was something I can more easily get content going out on.

So the answer is no, I'm not calling it dead, but it might not update as fast.

But, I will say that now that I have most of the life stuff out of the way, I should probably be able to update more frequently.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
My short recommendation would be, when time allows, to commentate in post, and edit out a whole bunch of confused "where the gently caress do I go" sections. Take your time to handle your IRL stuff first, we'll be here.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

So since I've been gone for so long, I figured that rather than update with one video, I'll do so with two!

Episode 5: Zelda Randomizer can be a real rear end in a top hat.

And with that episode, I'm abandoning that particular run.

Run 3: Preset: Mass Hysteria (Seed: 1357924680)
Same as Run 2, but with the addition of a new mechanic added to the new version of Zelda Randomizer and the loss of helpful hints due to me forgetting...

Episode 6: Let's try this again...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Glad to see this has returned. This run seems like it will be more interesting since it didn't frontload all of the mandatory gear on you.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Also glad to see this back. The subforums always need more 2D Zelda action (I'm still hoping someone better at them than me starts a megathread some day for the many many easily overlooked games in the sub-genre)

I'm gonna be honest, I think your comments about hoping you would just find level 9 and be done ASAP say a lot about why you're having trouble in the LP. This isn't AGDQ, we're not here for a speedrun. Like I said earlier in the thread, it seems like everyone who wants to do videos of this game inevitably seem to make things fancy in order to be entertaining, and inevitably backfire shooting themselves in the foot. Have fun, do things at the pace that works for you. I'd complain about the sped-up footage as part of this, but then that'd mean we'd be missing out on the dope NES Jukebox, which is one of my favorite parts of the LP.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Also glad to see this back. The subforums always need more 2D Zelda action (I'm still hoping someone better at them than me starts a megathread some day for the many many easily overlooked games in the sub-genre)

I'm gonna be honest, I think your comments about hoping you would just find level 9 and be done ASAP say a lot about why you're having trouble in the LP. This isn't AGDQ, we're not here for a speedrun. Like I said earlier in the thread, it seems like everyone who wants to do videos of this game inevitably seem to make things fancy in order to be entertaining, and inevitably backfire shooting themselves in the foot. Have fun, do things at the pace that works for you. I'd complain about the sped-up footage as part of this, but then that'd mean we'd be missing out on the dope NES Jukebox, which is one of my favorite parts of the LP.

It's not so much that I want to find the stuff to be done with it. It's mostly that the entire gimmick of the preset is that you can do it so quickly. If I beat all the stages and then do the last stage, the gimmick might as well not be there. :P

And it's definitely not length that's the issue. What I have planned for two runs from now will be...quite lengthy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh cool, glad to see this is back. Even the abandoned run isn't a total loss, because it's driven home the point that fast-forwarded Wizzrobe Link is twice as adorable.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

New update!

Episode 7: We might actually make it this time!

I got really lucky that Kamek's theme lasts exactly as long as that gap was.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I just love how Zelda is one of those games like Tetris where no matter how good someone is at playing it, you spend the whole time watching going "No! Don't do-! Why didn't you?! Oh wow you got lucky!" etc

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Considering I find myself doing it to me playing as I am playing, that's not surprising :V

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

New update!

Episode 8: Dodongos are weird, yo.

Yeah, found out all sorts of weird things about Dodongos in this episode. Like the fact that they can walk on water, through blocks, and have a roar that lingers on even after you leave their level.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I could be mistaken, but I want to say you found the white sword in the first video of this run but couldn't grab it yet.

Also, why do you avoid the secret passages in dungeons so much?

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

If you find the white sword in a dungeon, you can take it. The only time you can't take an item is if they are in the white/magical sword caves and you don't have enough health.

The reason why I avoid secret passages is because I like to scout out all of an area I can first before going through passages. I don't know why I do it like that, but that's just the way I do it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well I'm pretty sure the white sword was in a cave actually. Like, in the Southwest end of the overworld.

The passage thing just bugs me because of how often you decide not to use it and then proceed to get stuck and go in circles looking for stuff. Falls under the "can't watch someone else play Tetris" stuff.

• Locked thread