Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raitzeno posted:

Homura seems like a riot so far, I really like that little dude.

Also, this is getting to Comedy of Errors levels of missed connections between the Shallies. Do they ever meet up?

It's annoying while you're playing, because you know you're heading towards a party of at least 6, but you're still stuck with 4 at chapter 3.

Meanwhile 3 perfectly good party members are wandering around the town not joining you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Not to spoil TOO much, but the Shallies will meet each other next update. It is kind of weird it takes them that long, but part of the fun of the second playthrough is seeing early on what your protagonist is doing while the other is off-screen. I've tried to integrate the two stories as much as possible without them crossing over when they shouldn't, but it gets a little awkward they're never in the same place other than a couple times and often have to miss each other by moments for one protagonist to not be completely lazy.

I've also struggled a bit with balance between Lotte and Stera. Stera's my favorite of the two, so a little prejudice comes through on my end, but hopefully the balance was a little better this last update. Also, someone from a previous game may or may not show up early next update, as well.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lotte isn't accomplishing much atm, I mean she herself says she doesn't really know what she wants, unlike Stera. That's why it's harder to write for her.

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Sylphid posted:

I was just looking around for them, and it seems like Solaris Japan carries all three games' soundtracks, vocal tracks and all.

Perfect! Thanks for that!

Ever since I saw the homunculi (homunculuses?) in Ayesha I was always hoping them to be an party member. Only took two games for them to get there.
And, actually, does Ayesha or Escha/Logy come back in this one? Just as an NPC, since they were fairly major plot points in the world.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Also, just wanted to comment on Lotte's latest evaluation. It mentioned my most synthesized item for the chapter was Miruca's starting weapon, the Flame Bunker. That's a load of crap. I only synthesized one of those, and synthesized like 8 or 9 pieces of leather. I dunno, these evaluations just seem very strangely judged if you ask me. I've never been able to ascertain why it says what it says sometimes.

Also, just wanted to bring up something that doesn't really fit in naturally with the story but is a part of the gameplay. There's something called the Motivation Meter in this game. As you proceed through the storyline and accomplish objectives in a timely manner, it'll go up. If you're playing normally, by chapter 3 it should be maxed out (starts halfway filled). If you take a while to accomplish main story objectives, it'll go down.

What does this affect? Not a whole lot. Lotte and Stera move faster the higher the gauge is, and apparently you get more materials per gathering spot the higher it is. I haven't heard what else it affects, if anything. It's not a big deal at all to maintain max Motivation throughout the entire game, but Chapter 5 may slow you down a bit to gather materials for a boss battle. However, once you hit chapter 10 it maxes out and can't go down.

Late Edit: While I'm working on the next update, here's a little question for everyone. Bonus points to whoever gets it right first: What is special / interesting about Solle's coat?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 15, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I don't suppose it's the emblems on the arms, in which case I would assume they are either rank chevrons of some sort or perhaps a small coat-of-arms? I am not exactly adept in military ranking symbology, either modern or archaic.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Just gonna tell anyone who's dumb enough to google image search Solle, don't. Just potentially spoiled something for myself. Whoops!
But I'm going to copy Raitzeno and say it's something to do with a military ranking?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Nah, nothing to do with that.

Also, today on a lark I decided to look up some Atelier Sophie stuff. The aesthetic of the game looks really interesting. Kind of a mix between Hidari and Mel Kishida's artwork, with realistic looking characters with very cartoony clothes, and oh yeah, Punis are back! They've been completely absent for three games. I kind of wish the game wasn't being developed for the PS3 and PS4 / Vita. Six games in a single series is quite enough for one console (probably too many if you ask me), and I just feel a PS4 / Vita only game would probably look nicer without having to compensate for a weaker system. Also seems like there's a day / night mechanic, which is also new.

I'm sure it will also be fun to dress Sophie in new costumes, which is admittedly a nice feature, and one I'll likely make use of, even though of Sophie's outfits I've seen so far, her default one is my favorite.

Ah well, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, even if the game is probably 6-8 months out from NA and Europe.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 16, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It'd be nice, but with the situation the Japanese console market is in, it's no surprise that smaller console developers are still leaning on the existing PS3 install base. Better hope the initiative Japanese publishers are making towards spurring PS4 sales works, otherwise you'll soon be left LP-ing games where you're paying to extend your calendar, or worse, a pachinko machine. :v:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Aye. Well, at the very least, the PS4 has been a lot more successful than the PS3 at the same point in its lifetime. Hopefully within a year or two we'll be seeing the end of PS3 / PS4 development, even from small developers, and focusing solely on the shiny new graphics only available on your PS4. The transition from PS3 -> PS4 (or any of the equivalent transitions from MS and Nintendo) is not as big a leap as PS2 -> PS3, but I have a feeling developers are only still scratching the surface at this point. I'm honestly kind of hoping Sophie doesn't have any sequels, just so Gust can take a year to develop a fresh Atelier just for the current-gen consoles. Here's hoping.

Though, I have to say my currently most-anticipated game is Land of No Night. Not only does it tick all the boxes for a game I would be interested in, but it's always good to support new IPs, and there's a dearth of those in my current PS4 library. I'm still playing my PS3, but it's only to wrap up games I'm interested in, and within a year I probably won't be playing it anymore. The old girl's done some good work, though, some drat fine work.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
On the motivation meter, it tends to only get in the way if you don't want to move on to the next Chapter. I know sometimes I bottomed out on motivation because I wanted to finish synthesising the stuff avaliable to me and get myself some better equipment. It's really weird too since you can still make progress on life tasks but it won't give you the reward or show you your progress until the next Free Time.

I'm pretty sure Solle's coat is now red to match his dad's rank or just to match his dad. I would say it's literally his coat, but I'm not sure that would fit at all.

Also, most important Sophie news is the return of Pamela, Music is still pretty great, and (edit) Logy is back. I guess he might be the new Hagel, since it might not actually be the Dusk series Logy.
http://gematsu.com/2015/10/atelier-sophie-adds-logy-atelier-escha-logy

pichupal fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 22, 2015

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

pichupal posted:

I'm pretty sure Solle's coat is now red to match his dad's rank or just to match his dad. I would say it's literally his coat, but I'm not sure that would fit at all.

Also, most important Sophie news is the return of Pamela, Music is still pretty great, and (edit) Logy is back. I guess he might be the new Hagel, since it might not actually be the Dusk series Logy.
http://gematsu.com/2015/10/atelier-sophie-adds-logy-atelier-escha-logy

You got it. Solle has the same coat as Colland did, but I would assume it's more related to one's position within whatever organization Central has as a sign of rank. I would guess he's moving up in the world. Good for him.

Also, that's really interesting about Logy. It might not be the same person, but it would be really confusing to have characters from unrelated stories within the same series having the same name. If it is the same Logy, that would make me much more interested in Sophie's story. As it stands, all I really know about it is "Sophie is a pretty typical Atelier protagonist, she has a magic book friend she wants to turn into human".

Also, just for posterity, Gust took a popularity poll for the Dusk series. The results may surprise you.

http://social.gust.co.jp/pc/event/a16/finalvote

1. Ayesha
2. Escha
3. Logy
4. Shallistera
5. Shallie Wilbell
6. Miruca
7. Shallotte
8. Odelia
9. Linca (thought she would poll higher)
10. Flameu
11. Ayesha Wilbell
12. Escha Wilbell

Guess it doesn't surprise too much for Wilbell to far and away be the most popular with all the votes added together (6,422 vs. Ayesha's 4,864), but Logy surprised me how high he ended up ranking. Also good for him. I wonder which two characters would take 11 and 12 if all the Wilbell votes were added together.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 22, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Sylphid posted:

I wonder which two characters would take 11 and 12 if all the Wilbell votes were added together.

My guess would be probably Keithgrump and Harry.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really? People liked Ayesha Wilbell that much? I find that to be her worst version IMO.

Ditto with Flameu, she was a great final boss but she has like what, 4 scenes total? In the entire series?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I love how chill and relaxed this game is. It reminds me of how much fun crafting and building could be in online games - to just sit back and make stuff.

Also at this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to read the cooking e/n thread now too, because cooking is rad and I don't do nearly enough of it.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 23, 2015

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
I'll never ever get tired of the name Keithgrump.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Carnafex posted:

I'll never ever get tired of the name Keithgrump.

"I like the name Keith, but how can we show that he is also quite grumpy?"

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VIII: The Energetic Side of the Talented Girl

The tailed girl

This is such an amazing sight... So this is Stellard. It smells different from Colseit.

The final step

It's ready, miss!

Teo? What is?

We've finally come up with a plan for repairing the ship.

Really!?

But it seems we need more material than previously expected.

You mean... Stuff we didn't ask the Union for?

Unfortunately, we only requested the minimum amount.

Hmm... What else do you need? The ship looks okay...

Well, I've been able to fix the exterior of the ship and repaired a lot of the damage to the ship. The only problem is that we still can't use the ship to go anywhere. It's stuck until we get some new materials.

I see. Well, tell me what I need and I'll go get it.

That isn't necessary. I can ask Kortes to take care of it.

No. It's okay. I want to work hard and earn recognition. If I don't, we won't be able to save the village.

Alright miss... In that case, you may proceed... But please, be careful.

I will. I just need to get you the materials, right?

Yes. Kortes has already submitted a job request to the Union for many of the materials we'll need. You might want to start by going to them.

Okay. Thank you Teo.

Not at all. It's my honor to help you. You carry the hope of our village.

I know. It's such a great responsibility, though...

Miss, you've proven to me already you can do it. We're all here to help you, and the people of this city are already beginning to accept you.

You think so?

I know, Miss.

Another bright day

Good morning, Shallie. My, you seem excited today!

Really? Hehe, maybe it's because I'm enjoying work.

I'm sure you could build a palace all on your own! I should start finding work for you, too.

That's alright, mom, I can find my own work.

Oh. I see.

You heard Miruca. It's your own responsibility to find and do your own work.

I wouldn't expect any less from Miruca.

I know! I'm proud of my friend. Alright, I'm off!

The great alchemist?

Wait, do you have a new employee?

She's an alchemist we had come by. Didn't I tell you?

Oh, the very capable someone-or-other...

You don't need to exaggerate...

I'm Escha Malier. I've been dispatched here from the Colseit branch. Nice to meet you!

I'm Shallote Elminus! You can call me Shallie. I'm doing my best to become an expert alchemist!

Oh, then we're on the same page!

Huh? Really?!

I started working 5 years ago, but there's just so much to learn... Even my coworkers say its difficult to become an expert.

I think it might just be thoughtlessness in your case...

Whaat! That's not true...

Have you known Escha for a long time?

She started as a rookie when I was working at the Colseit branch.

Solle scared me at first, but he has amazing skills... He still kinda scares me...

Haha, that's enough...

He might come off as a tough guy, but he's amazing at making sweets!

Solle makes. Best shiny. For everyone. We all like.

Wow, Homhom seems like he really likes him...

People who like. Shiny. Never bad. Truth.

How is my ability to make sweets related to my performance as your senior, you two?

Doesn't. Matter.

Exactly! Making sweets is much more important than that other stuff!

*sigh* You're just like you were back then, Escha.

Looks like you're already getting along with Homura! I'm sure we'll get along too, since we both study alchemy!

Ohh, I can't wait! (She seems really cool. A lot of drive to get things done...)

(Obviously she didn't learn well enough) Sorry for interrupting, but here's your next job request.

Thank you! ...Wait, is this... Synthesis?

The requester's name is Shallistera. Oh yeah ,the owner of the ship that came to town recently... Have you met her?

(Is she the girl with the same nickname?...)

You want the job?

Oh! Yeah, I'll take it!

Very good. Make sure you confirm the details with Raoul before you get started. There's no time limit on the request, but the materials are fairly difficult to make. Make sure to be careful with this one.

Oh...sure! Thanks Solle!

Now then, Escha...

Oh...yeah! I have to get started, don't I?

As soon as possible.

Right, time to get to work!

I can't go back and ask Solle, he'd never give me any more work! What do I do?! Okay well... I guess I'll just wander around asking people who look like they might know!

Oh, Escha! What are you doing here?

Well, when I was talking to Solle about coming here to Stellard, I asked him if there was anything I could do here. He told me there were a lot of alchemists here, and it would be great for them if an experienced alchemist could come here and start selling valuable ingredients.

Oh! That's a great idea! Have you started selling materials yet?

No, not yet. I still have to travel a little and find out what ingredients grow around here, and what could be valuable to the other alchemists here. I'm sure I'll find something, but I only just arrived here, so it'll take some time.

I see... Oh! I wanted to ask you something! Do you remember that request from Solle that I accepted?

Oh, that...? That's the one from Shallistera, right? Are you related to her?

Um... I don't think so, but it seems like she's an alchemist here in town. She put in a request for some valuable materials for her ship, but I have no idea where to start with this. I was thinking you might be know something about it. Here's the request...

Hm... These are some unusual materials. I've never worked with them, but I think they might be useful for helping large objects move up and fly off the ground. Items of these quality really could only be used for big objects like ships.

Ships...flying... Master!

Master?

Sorry Escha, I have to go! I'll stop by later!

Haha, okay, see you.

Sweets and other things

Oh, Shallie, perfect timing. The alchemist we recruited is here. I'll introduce you.

Ah, I'm Shallistera Argo, from Lugion Village. I still have a lot of alchemy to learn, but I hope I learn a lot with you...!

Hehe, I didn't know anything when I first started, either. So, let's both do our best, yes?

Working hard is one of Escha's more redeeming qualities...

Heh, really?

Uh, do you two know each other?

Solle was my senior when I became an official. He's always been super strict...

That's because...

Solle. Good person. Gives best shinies.

The best... Shiny?

Oh, Homura, you're here too!

Escha. I'm capable hunter.

You haven't changed at all!

You know Homura, too?

I met him a few times when Solle was working in Colseit.

How's Colseit doing, by the way?

Everyone's doing pretty well. The apples harvest this year was huge!

...I'm not talking about apples. I'm talking about the Dusk.

Oh! S-Sorry... There's a lot of people who support the investigation of the Stellard region. After learning that the water source here was having issues, people started worrying... They're thinking the water in Colseit could dry up at any time...

I thought so. Escha, Shallie is here because the Dusk crisis is putting her village in danger too. I hope you support her when she goes to survey the areas around Stellard.

I look forward to working with you!

Likewise.

(The Dusk crisis...)

Oh, also Shallie, there's someone who's responded to your request.

You mean the materials to repair our ship?

Yes. However... They haven't delivered anything yet. Do you mind waiting just a little while longer?

Of course not. I'm just glad someone accepted it! Thank you!

There's no need to thank me, but the person who accepted it was another alchemist. They should be able to finish your request soon.

Another alchemist...? That's great! Okay, I'm leaving now!

An alchemic chat

Escha, hello.

I was talking with Solle and he told me that Lugion Village has a long alchemic history...

Yes. In the chief's household, the child with the greatest talent for alchemy is chosen to be the successor.

Does that mean... You're the next chief?

Yeah... For now.

For now?

It's true I'm not that great with alchemy... Another child with greater talent could be born. Solle mentioned how talented you are as an alchemist... And you're still so young! You have my respect.

Oh Solle. Always exaggerating.

So... Is there any way for me to get better at alchemy, or is it all just a matter of natural talent?

Well it's not just talent. You have to work hard too. Alchemy seems like one of those things that almost anyone can learn, but when you really look at it...

Most people can't seem to understand how it works, and they get confused trying to explain it to themselves rather than feeling it for themselves.

Wow... Exactly what I was thinking! In my case, I thought using alchemy for work was fun. I wasn't that great at first, and I know I still have a lot to learn. There was this co-workrer back when I first became an official... His name was Logy, and he was always so encouraging.

Alchemy to do work... So where is your friend now?

Oh, he's still in Colseit helping Central there. They still need a qualified alchemist there to help the branch develop even after I left.

I see... Hmm...

Shallie, do you not like alchemy?

No no, that's not it... The only thing I have is alchemy!

Just don't think too much about it. You'll get used to it before you know it!

Escha, what kind of place is Colseit? What kind of work do you do? If you don't mind, please, tell me!

Of course. Colseit is famous for apples. There're a ton of orchards there. Oh, and my family also owns one too...

Hm... But wasn't Solle talking about the Dusk in Colseit?

Yes, the Dusk has come Colseit as well. We're been getting decreased harvests for years, so apples are really saving the city now. Central has been a lot more interested in the region since me and Logy solved the mystery of the Unexplored Ruins, so it's a much busier town now than a few years ago.

The...Unexplored Ruins? That sounds really interesting!

You never heard about it? It was a really big story in Colseit and Central, but maybe places far away like Stellard might have never heard of it. Do you want me to tell you?

Oh yes!

Hm, let's see... Well, I grew up in Colseit. I always knew about the Unexplored Ruins, a large ruin floating high in the sky above the city. Nobody had ever been there before, but it was always my dream as an alchemist to go there and find out what it was. Well, after me and Logy looked all over the materials to construct an airship, we went there together.

We found out that the Unexplored Ruins were actually an ancient alchemy laboratory. The girl who was in charge of the facility had sent the ruins high into the sky so she continue working on her research to help the world's plants and hopefully grow all of them back. But...things didn't work out very well for her, and after so long she had forgotten who she was and what she was doing, and...

Well, a lot of things happened, but eventually the Ruins fell back to the ground and me and Logy worked together to make sure the girl and the ruins wouldn't be dangerous.

That's...That's an amazing story! Do you know where the girl is now?

No... She was happy me and Logy set her free from the Ruins, but I haven't seen her since she stopped by my family's orchard shortly after everything had happened. I'm sure she's still somewhere, though...

Um... I'd be happy to help you look for her!

Hahah, don't worry about it. It's not really important right now, but thank you. Oh, I'm sorry... That story took a long time to tell. You must be getting bored, huh?

Not at all! That was really interesting to hear. Wow Escha, I had no idea you had done so many amazing things already... I don't feel like I've done much at all.

Well, it was only because of my friends I was able to do all of that, and you're still young! I'm sure you'll have plenty of amazing experiences here in the Dusk Sea.

Fated crossing

I don't see any difference between this grass and the other grass... Besides, I just wanted to ask you something about alchemy!

How do you expect to learn alchemy from me if you can't pick magical grass correctly? And anyway, It's about the spirit!

Huh??

Ah...? Your name was "Shallie", right?

Yes... I'm Shallistera.

Oh!! I'm Shallotte.

Shallie, short for Shallotte...

...And Shallistera! Yeah!

What...? Do you have the same nickname or something? Not that it really matters.

Heh... So what are you doing, anyway?

Alchemy training!

Alchemy? Are you...

I'm Wilbell. I'm kind of like this girl's master.

Master Wilbell is an extraordinary alchemist.

Really?

Yup!

Oh, I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to interrupt your training...

Oh, it's okay. I was thinking about taking a break, anyway.

Oh good! Would you like to come by my place? It's really close!

Is that okay?

Of course! Shallie, wanna come?

Wait... Me? But...

Don't worry about it! C'mon!

Okay then! I'm interested in seeing where another alchemist lives and works...

Wow... It's actually pretty decent.

Excuse me... What a cute atelier!

It's not quite finished yet...

No way, it's so cozy and warm!

True... This atelier is a little like its owner.

Stop... You're embarrassing me...

You should visit my atelier sometime, too!

What!? You're an alchemist, too?

Um...yes, I'm currently working as an alchemist here in Stellard. I do a lot of adventuring, too. Have you ever been to the ruins to the north?

The one with all the slags?

Yes. What about the mysterious blue ruins to the east of there?

Of course! Me and master Wilbell here went there a few weeks ago. Wait... Have we gone to all the same places?!

Wow...we might have!

(These two sure became friends fast...)

Oh, Shallie, hello.

Hello.

Oh, right! Mom, her name is Shallie, too.

I'm Shallistera... Nice to meet you!

Wow, two Shallies! I almost feel like I have another daughter. So happy! And who is this young lady?

Oh, she's my master, Wilbell!

Hi...

Shallie and Wilbell. You two seem pretty reliable.

I wouldn't really...

I know my girl can be quite the free spirit, so try not to let her attitude overwhelm you.

Oh, it won't, don't worry.

Heheh...

Mom! Stop it, oh my gosh! Just go!

Oh dear. Well. Please, make yourselves at home.

Sorry about her...

No, she's a lovely mother.

I see why you're a little normal, at least.

What do you mean, "at least a little"?!

What?! It's a compliment! Anyway, Shallie...we need to get back to work. C'mon.

Oh, you're going to keep training?

Yeah, I was right in the middle of teaching Shallie about magic grasses when you arrived.

I see... Well, it should be great practice for you in the future! I'm going to go ahead to the Union for some jobs. I'm sure I'll see you later, Shallie!

Yeah! Take care, Shallie!

Emergency help

Please! You're the only one I can count on, master... This is a job I got from Shallie! I'm sure it's really important to her that I finish as soon as possible.

Well...this really is something you should do yourself, but if it's for Shallie, then I'll try. Give me the request form.

Wait a sec... This recipe looks familiar!

Really?

Get the cauldron ready and wait!

Wait, what is---?! Oh, she's already gone.

Hahh, hahh... Oh... Escha... Long time no see...!

Oh wow, Wilbell? It really HAS been a long time! I didn't know you were visiting Stellard!

All a part... Of the training... Of a magician!

I see... Well, what have you been doing here? I just got here recently...

Okay well, wait, we'll talk about this later. There's something I need to ask you.

Ask me?

Take a look at this request.

Oh...! This is the same one Shallie showed me. You know her, too?

Yeah, for some reason she started calling me master and asking I teach her alchemy. I don't know much alchemy other than when I was traveling with you and Logy, and with my last alchemist friend.

You never told me much about her... Well, this recipe... Do you remember that airship me and Logy worked on?

Hahh... Of course. You had to travel all over the place to get the materials.

Well, this recipe seems to be based on a similar design. Give me a second... There! It's not perfect, but if you use the same principles in this synthesis, Shallie might get something close to the same idea me and Logy worked on, but with much fewer materials.

That's great! Thanks Escha, see you later!

Hahh... Hahh... No worries! Not a problem.

Why are you so tired...?

Hahh... Don't worry about it. The notes are on the back. Master Wilbell can help you anytime! Now, I think I'm going to go take a nap... See ya, Shallie.

Goodbye master! Let's see... Aha! Adding Gravistones, adding the counterbalance with metallic ingredients... Alright, I know what I'm doing... Let's give it a shot!

Wow... I met three new people today, and they're all alchemists. It's pretty incredible how many people are practicing alchemy here in Stellard. Oh wait... Teo left something.

So we need these materials... I don't think I have any of these two materials. I should check for recipes in town

Hm, Algemein Plywood is a very fine material that can only be made with alchemy, but Mixed Oil and Ancient Stones are materials, but I've never worked with Ancient Stones before... I wonder where you could find them. Well, first I should find the recipe first... Katla or Rose should have it.

Yes, I think I'll take this book.

Excellent choice, and a special price for my favorite customer!

Um... Katla, I have a question. Where can you find Mixed Oil and Ancient Stones around here?

Hmm... Well, I don't travel very much, but I think I saw some in the factory ruins to the north, with all the slags. They're kind of rare there, so you might have to look pretty hard.

The ruins to the north... Thanks Katla! I'll be sure to come back as soon as I need something.

No no, come back even if you don't need something!

Wow, I really can do things if I set my mind to them...! I need to get this to Raoul! I wonder if the other Shallie will be proud of me... I've been on a roll lately... I guess learning the basics and having a goal really pays off!

The advancing goal

I can do really great things like this when I put my mind to it...

That's the spirit! Maybe I can find you an even bigger job...

Really??

Yes... There aren't enough collectors to take care of all the people who die in the Dusk Sea. They need burials...

Oh uh... Wow, I don't know about that...

You'll never get anywhere if you're picky about your work, you know.

Oh well uh... Anyway... Please give the item I made to the client!

Oh, so, about that... Do you mind delivering it yourself?

Wha? Me?

I suppose...

The client is in the big ship on the edge of town.

Hahh... Alright, I'll go.

Sorry... And thank you.

That should do it for the Plywood, what's next...

Friends from this day forward

Oh, Shallotte!

You can just call me Shallie. Oh wait, that might be confusing...

Nah... You can just call me Shallie, too. Hehe! Why did you come here today?

What!? (Are these... Materials for the ship?! Shallie was the one who took our order?!) Wow... The quality on this is incredible!

Is this enough? The request only specified a floatation device that could be attached to a large machine, but I'm not skilled enough to know what a large ship like this would need to move...

Yeah, it's amazing! I don't even think I could make this!

It's not really that great, but I"m glad you're happy. Honestly, this is the first time I've done this kind of synthesis... I wanted to do my best, hearing it was for you.

Shallie... Thank you so much!

This is for helping with the ship's repairs, right?

Yep!

Shallie, you must be from somewhere far away... Is that why you work so hard?

No, I'm not... I don't know much, and I'm struggling to fulfill my responsibilities... It looks like you've found what you want to do with yourself... I look up to that.

Ahah... Actually, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do.

What? But you can make amazing things like this with alchemy...!

I'm just training in alchemy because I have no other options at the moment. I'm totally broke. It's tough.

...I see...

What is it, by the way? That responsibility.

The water in my village, Lugion, is starting to dry up. I was hoping to find a way to stop it by coming to the city... But...

Oh... Yeah, see, you've really got it down, Shallie.

Haha, no way.

Uh, yes way! You came all the way here as a representative for your village. I could never do something like that! I know a bit about Stellard, so don't hestitate to ask if you need help, and I'll do what I can!

Shallie... Thank you! I wonder if it's because we have the same name... I don't think I've talked to anyone like this since I got here.

Hehe, that makes me feel special. How about this...

What?

Together?!

Yeah! Let's help each other accomplish the things we need to do, and the things we want to do, too! It'll help a lot to work with a partner than alone. Way more encouraging. Just a thought.

I haven't been out and about much before now, so I'm a bit rusty on the social front. I was so fast to take up an important task like this one, and yet there's still so much I don't know... But I'd be honored if you're willing to work together with me.

Hehe, don't worry about it, Shallie. We're friends! You can relax a bit.

(Friends... I've never had a friend before... I didn't know how lovely it could be...)

So what are you going to go do next? Can you fix the ship now?

No... We still need a few more materials to reinforce the ship and repair some of the damage. I was just about to go and gather some of them. Do you want to come with me?

Hm, actually... I kinda had some other things I needed to do for my own alchemy, and Miruca... Oh! Do you know my friend Miruca?

She's the girl who runs the Imbuing shop, right?

That's her! Great, you know her. She needed me to help her with business today at the shop, so... Sorry.

No no, that's okay. I'm sure we'll meet again soon.

Yeah! See you, Shallie.

See you later, Shallie. Heheh...

Helping others

You're still awake, Shallie? Don't work yourself too hard...

Yeah, I know. I'll go to sleep soon... You should too, mom.

I'm fine.

Mmm... I dunno... You've been looking a little thin lately. I'm finally starting to get more work, so you should get some rest and relax.

Aww, thank you, Shallie. Well, goodnight then.

Night!

(Hmm, I'm in a really good mood today for some reason. Maybe because my work is so fulfilling? I've never felt like this before. Is it because Shallie was so happy? Or because I made a new friend. No doubt that's part of it! But... Knowing that I'm actually helping someone is what's making me the most happy.)

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 26, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
It happened! They met!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Notice how the game immediately picked up too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It really feels like this time they've been waiting for something to do. I mean, the Dusk is out there, of course, but it's a giant mystery with no obvious way forward. Fixing a ship is an actual objective.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Oh, and if you watch the video where Stera, Lotte, and Wilbell cross paths, you'll notice (since it's her version) in Lotte's version the camera kinda awkwardly shifts up for a few moments and comes back down. That's because if you're playing Stera, that's the first time you see Wilbell and that's when the game would do her "Pose + name tag" it does for everyone else.

KarmaKummitus
Aug 4, 2012
Hi. Long time lurker here and really appreciate the work you have put into presenting the Atelier series.

Maybe a little too late to mention, but I felt that it might have been better if you kept each character in their own updates in the beginning before they formally met each other. Did you consider doing it that way?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

KarmaKummitus posted:

Maybe a little too late to mention, but I felt that it might have been better if you kept each character in their own updates in the beginning before they formally met each other. Did you consider doing it that way?

But then we would have had to wait longer for the updates!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I decided to do it pretty early on, since I thought it would 1) be more coherent, and 2) there would a lot fewer, smaller updates.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Just as a note: next update is done, but not going to be posted for a couple days. Why? Halloween, goon sirs. I've done an update on Halloween for Ayesha and Escha, so it would be wrong to break that trend now. There's not really an Halloween-y things in this game (unlike Wilbell's pumpkin bombs in the previous two games). So Happy Halloween to everyone in the update's stead when I post it.

In the meantime, work will continue on Part X.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a witchy costume for either of our leads like Escha? That would've been a great callback if there was, especially if they gave it to Lotte.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Happy Halloween to you too, Sylphid.

(FWIW, I rather enjoyed the combined style.)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you wanted to talk about a specific Shallie, what do you call each one?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

If you wanted to talk about a specific Shallie, what do you call each one?

Stera and Lotte seem to be the thread concensus, for Shallistera and Shallote.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Roro posted:

Is there a witchy costume for either of our leads like Escha? That would've been a great callback if there was, especially if they gave it to Lotte.

Sadly not. The only alternate costumes are swimsuits that are from an event much later in the game.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IX: The Final Side of the Separate Paths

Shallistera. What do you want to order today?

Something a little strange. I hope it'll be okay...

This is... A weapon for Kortes...

You know Kortes?

Yes. He trained with my sister briefly before I left for Central. I haven't seen him a while, though.

Huh... His weapons are always a little strange...

I made it the way you wanted, but I have no idea how to use it.

It looks like he draws powers of various talismans through the rod he uses to unleash attacks...

...Okay, that was even more confusing.

I don't know much about it either, only that I asked him to tell me about it, and I didn't understand at all.

Well, I made it according to the plans, so it should be fine. Actually, I have another question for you: you practice alchemy, and Kortes uses weapons like this. Is everyone from your village special?

Hm, it's hard for me to answer that, because I was living in my village almost all my life, but I guess we would be a little strange to people from the city.

I look forward to learning more about your village.

Oh, you're accepting it? I'll explain it for you. This request is for a provision of sweets.

Sweets...?

To be specific, a traditional recipe in this town called Stellapearl. It's pretty tasty.

It looks like Solle made the request. Maybe he can't make it himself...?

Well, we've been short on a lot of ingredients lately, and a lot of younger people don't know how to make it.

I see... Now I understand.

Even if you haven't made it before, it shouldn't be that hard to learn. Anyway, I know you can do it. Bring it here once you're done.

Okay, I'll do the best I can!

One more thing: I shouldn't have to tell you after you've seen him, but...

I know... That's why it's important I take my time with this... I'll be sure to deliver something that will impress even him!

No, it doesn't sound like him. I heard something about them having a tail.

The alchemist with the tail is Escha, but that old man? I wonder if he's the same one as the man I met...

Shallie, keep up!

Sorry! Coming!

So what are we looking for?

Ancient Stones and Mixed Oil. Mixed Oil can only be found in small quantities, and Ancient Stones are kinda fragile, so be careful with them...

I guess there aren't any of those around here, but I did find these mushrooms. Do you think you could use these, Shallie?

They're definitely not good for eating, but these are the famous Reaper's Kiss mushrooms... I could use the poisonous taste to them for bombs and stuff like that...

Alright, we'll keep them. (How can she do stuff like that with alchemy...?)

Well, if there aren't any of the things you're looking for around here, we should keep going, Shallie. Hunters like Katla are rarely wrong about these kinds of things.

She's not really a hunter...

I had no idea there was a place lilke this in these ruins. It's really amazing to see the past like this.

What are all these machines?

They don't look like alchemy machines, and it's obviously been abandoned for some time... This place looks like it might be great for finding ancient materials and machine oil like we need. Let's make sure we look carefully.

Looks like Katla was right. Let's gather a lot here.

That should do it. Me and dad could easily repair the ship and get it moving with all this stuff. Nice job, Shallie.

Haha... Really? That's great.

We should come back here later to finish our investigation.

The first big step

Yep, there's no doubt about it, I can definitely repair the ship now. I'm sorry for all the trouble.

And I'm sorry for leaving the ship all up to you.

It's alright. Anyway, I should really start on those repairs. We will finally be able to travel back across the Dusk Sea again.

Yes... Thank you again, Teo. (The ship will finally be fixed... Gosh that took a long time. I hope the village is okay... It's been a long time since we got to Stellard, and we haven't solved anything. But the problems here are related to the problems back home, so I guess we are progressing a bit...)

The chairman is currently busy, please come this way...

These fights are becoming more frequent...

Uh oh, are Raoul and Perriend not getting along?

It's more like... They're disagreeing on the future direction of Stellard, now that--

That's why I said you're a hard-headed old man! We really will be completely taken over by Central at this rate!

Do you have any sort of proof that YOUR methods will ensure the independence of Stellard!?

There's no need for proof or things like that now! We're in a crisis here!

I don't think so! Besides, what exactly is Central "investigating" around here!?

I told you, the progression of the Dusk! You stubborn old man!

They aren't a chairty, do you really believe they would dispatch agents here for such an abstract goal!?

I'm done here, you stubborn old coot! Don't come crying to me when something terrible really does happen! Linca... I'm sorry you had to see that.

It's quite alright. I'm used to you disagreeing with the Chairman, but it has been getting a little...

Yeah, I know. The Union has its interests, the Corporation theirs'... I don't know why we get so heated when we agree on the most important things. Anyway, I'll see you later, when we've both calmed down a little.

...Oh, and Shallie. You've been doing excellent work outside of Stellard. Your skill has really improved. You'll be getting bigger and bigger jobs from now on, so...

Yeah! Leave everything to me!

He's always so hot headed... Some day it'll be trouble.

Um, Mr. Perriend... Why don't you want to cooperate with Central?

Because this city is my life! My family has kept this city running for generations!

Uh... Th-That's true, but...

I apologize... I didn't intend to shout at you. Shallie, Stellard is very important to me. It's my duty to protect it. I understand the danger of the Dusk, but I cannot cooperate with Central without knowing their true plans. ...They could threaten the sovereignty of Stellard... And the lives of the people.

Hm, do you think that could happen here in Stellard?

It's always possible. Central's resources would be considerable, and the population of Stellard would definitely prosper if they were put to use here in Stellard. But the opposite side of that is, how much opportunity for growth would be lost by allowing that? Until I'm sure about that, I can't trust the Union or Central.

...I didn't know... But if you explained it like that to Raoul, wouldn't he understand?

Every time I try to explain it to him, it ends just as you saw! That foolish youngster!

Chairman, just take a deep breath.

Oh, I apologize... That was rather unpleasant of me.

Now then, Shallie, did you have some business with me?

Uh, no... Just was visiting Miruca and asked her to make something for me, and I wanted to stop by while I was waiting for it. See ya!

Yep, for your master.

It looks pretty well made.

Master Wilbell!

I'm a bit worried... I've never made anything like this before.

It's perfect! I'll be able to draw plenty of magic power with this.

Is it really okay not to use your broom? I know you gave it to me, but...

If you really feel that way, give it back!

Whaah! I shouldn't have said that! I'm sorry!

I'm kidding. The broom is just a tool. Different catalysts are used to draw out magic.

Oh... I see. I'm a little disappointed...

I didn't know...

Hmm, I expected Shallie not to know it... But I guess you didn't know it either, MIruca.

Well, magic isn't really my specialty...

Master! What's that supposed to mean?

...That should be obvious.

Hm, that's a pretty good job, but I think I could touch it up a little. Miruca, could you help me?

Hm? Of course. What are you going to do?

Just a little grand magic...

If you don't mind me asking, what is the difference between the ring I made and this one?

Well, the rings I use channel magic in slightly different ways. It's complicated to explain to people who don't study magic, but rings that use more powerful catalysts let me channel stronger magic.

Oh, that's slightly easier to understand than I thought.

Do you see the folds in the metal here? Well--

(Why do I feel like I'm being left out here...?)

Oh, Shallie... Is it okay if I watch you do some alchemy? I have some free time now.

Huh?

If you don't want me to come, you can just say so.

Uwawa! No! Come on over!

Haha... I'll see you two later then.

Hm, hm, hmmmm...

Materials going in, and items taking shape... How does alchemy work, Shallie?

How does it work...? I'm not really sure. It's a process you have to feel, experimenting with how long you stir, how to combine ingredients and applying chemicals and supplements, that kind of stuff.

Hm, interesting. How much have you learned from other people?

I guess recipes and stuff, but alchemy is the kind of thing you can't really learn from a book or by watching others. How about Imbuing?

Hm, it's a lot different, the processes are more structured. The difference really comes down to the quality of the education and the machinery each Imbuer uses. I don't have any of the stuff Central uses, so it's a little harder here than back in Central. Even so...

Even so what?

Um, never mind. Do you want to do some requests for the Union?

I've got some good news. Your hard work is earning you quite the reputation. I'm really proud of you.

Really? That's good...

In response to that, I'll start giving you some of the more important jobs we've got. This is work given only to people most trusted by the Union. The rewards are also huge. I'm counting on you!

Is it really okay to give something so important to me...? I'm getting nervous, but I'll do my best...!

Of course, continuing to fulfill requests from the townspeople will help grow your reputation, and you'll have more support going forward. I heard about the ship. You must be pretty excited, huh?

Hm...I'm not sure I'm excited, just really happy... It seems like I've been moving so slowly since I got here, and the village can't wait for me.

I know how you feel, but you've made excellent progress here. Once you get your ship up and running, I'm sure you'll be able to travel even further from Stellard.

I just hope I can help my village after all this time.

I always hunt at a certain spot. I found something nice the other day and made some good money.

Um, may I ask what you're talking about?

Oh, well, we're talking about mining for relics out in the field.

Mining?

Yeah, if you dig out there, you can find a lot of relics.

There're times you don't find anything, either, but it's great when you do.

(Mining... Could I find things for alchemy? I should look into it.) Um...what kind of tools should I use?

Any kind of digging tool would be fine, but you should probably avoid anything too heavy. You want to be able to carry everything you find back here, right?

Y-Yes, thank you. (I should ask Teo about it.)

Yes, I want to try it.

Wait a minute, miss. I think I have something...

Yes, I found it!

I used to dig around a lot when I was younger. I didn't know it would be useful again.

Thank you, Teo!

I wouldn't try digging very deep with this. It's not really designed for digging, but searching for things just under the soil should be fine.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

We've got materials to find and monsters to defeat! Let's get to work!

Let's keep going. The materials have to be around here somewhere!

Um, Shallie...

Ugh, not here either!

Shallie, the monsters aren't here. We need to look in the regions around Stellard.

Oh, heh... Sorry.

Well, we came all this way, so we might as well finish our investigation here.

There are some pretty good machines here, well, they used to be nice. Still...

It's kinda sad-looking...

An ice cold bomb... I wonder if that's better than fire bombs. Guess I'll find out when I use it on adventures. That about does it... I wonder if I'm growing a bit... (I know I learned alchemy when I was young because I'm the chief's daughter... But I feel like Im getting better now compared to when I was just being forced to learn. Personal feelings must play a big part in this... I still don't know how to save the village, but... It's strange, I don't feel too worried about it. More importantly, I feel much stronger about training more and becoming more useful.)

So you only accepted a trash-cleaning job before coming out?

I said I was sorry... Well, let's finish this up. It is pretty dirty around here.

Hey Shallie, do you...want to get some lunch with me when we get back?

I'd love to! You never ask me for things like that. Are you okay, Miruca?

I'm fine.

...I start to feel sick if I'm in the sun too long...

What... Are you a ghost or something, MIruca...?

...Can I go home?

C'mon now! The weather is so nice! Here, these rabbit sandwiches are really good.

By the way... When you were going to school in Central, did you pack lunches? Was it hard doing that every morning?

... Why are you interested in my time in Central?

Well, it's just... I've only lived in Stellard, and I've heard people from Central talk about how amazing it was. I was just curious...

Hm, well... The school had a dining hall, I ate there.

That sounds pricey... What was on the menu?

All kinds of things... But I prefer the food in Stellard.

Whaaat? I'd want to try it at least once. I'm sure it's good...

Not really. It was just too expensive, and the place was loud... Nothing tasted good eating in a place like that. ...The sandwiches you made are a lot better.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
My Halloween horror story? Losing my hard drive and the connecting USB cord. The only good side of it is the fact I moved the most recent video I recorded (Sunday morning), and put it on my computer, hoping to work on IX and X while watching football. Evidently, I completely forgot about it, and the maid was here on Monday, and she probably threw it out. I can't find it anywhere it would normally be.

Even so, it's remarkably cheap to replace those two items. 40 odd bucks for a 2.5" 500 GB hard drive and a connecting cable. I thought it would be like 70 at the least. Thank goodness for the proliferation of technology, eh? X is already coming along nicely, but I still have yet to finish the script or take the screenshots.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Yeah, hard drives are pretty cheap these days. If you have a membership at a place like Sam's Club or Costco (or know someone who does) they have some really good prices on several terabytes at a time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Huh so we're 4 chapters in and only now do we get some better options for weapon synth?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part X: The Resolute Side of the Desperate Battle

Uproar on the docks

Heyyy, it's Shallie! You came to see, too?

Master! What's this about?

A Sand Dragon appeared near the city again.

Crisis point

Miss...! This is bad!

Teo! Kortes? What happened?

Another Sand Dragon has appeared!

And this time, it was seen near the city.

What?? So Sand Dragons really ARE violent?

No, that's what's strange. Sand Dragons are normally calm and quiet. Could the ship that crashed into the harbor have something to do with it?

Ship...? Oh, hey!

A Sand Dragon...

It would be awful if our freshly repaired ship was damaged again...

It's still strange... Sand Dragons are supposed to be pretty docile unless they are provoked...

What could-

Shallie! Heeey!

What? Another one?!

Do you know her, miss?

Yes, her name is Shallotte. We share a nickname!

Hmm...

I'll go down to meet her. Excuse me...

Yeah, a Sand Dragon is nearby...

Sounds like it... Is your ship alright?

Yes it is, and thanks to the materials you brought, the repairs are going well!

Oh good!

In fact, we should be just about ready to sail, if Teo is right... But I've been hearing whispers that our ship is the reason why the Sand Dragon is acting this way...

What! There's no way!

(What happened on the way here to Stellard... That was a Sand Dragon, too.) Mmmm... Do you... Trust us?

Of course.

...Thank you so much.

A dangerous idea

We don't have a choice, we don't even know the cause behind the dragon appearing. It doesn't matter if it was spotted nearby, it hasn't DONE anything yet.

Well, I have reports of several ships out at sea that have already been sunk by it.

None of the reports confirm the Sand Dragon is the cause, though. Without evidence, it's just a rumor.

drat...

Research shows up that the dragon usually sleeps in the sand...

And?

Even if we cant' prove that it's caused damage, seeing its activity is more than enough. Coming up with some countermeasures wouldn't be out of place...

I'm glad you understand, Solle.

Absolutely not. Countermeasures would only cause people to panic. The last thing we want is a population of insecure people. Why don't you understand?

Because if we waited for something to happen, then it would be too late to do anything. Besides, have you seen the state of the town the past few days? People are already starting to panic. You can't stop the spread of rumors at this point.

Really? Because at this point, they're just rumors. If we were to act, we would confirm everyone's suspicions and cause a real panic. I'm not willing to risk so much for something we're not even sure of.

This is going nowhere. Look, this is the Union's view. The Sand Dragon has already done damage to the town... We should get a team together to take it down.

That sounds more forceful than necessary... But if it means a clear sea near Stellard, it might be for the best.

That's why we plan on killing it before that happens.

... Look, listen to me.

Yes?

None of the city's ships can confirm the Sand Dragon's caused any harm... But, there IS a ship that has already been harmed.

What ship?

The outsider's ship, actually. They were attacked by the dragon before they fled into our harbor.

What are you saying?

The rumors of a rogue Sand Dragon started right about the time they arrived in the harbor... By which I mean, the ship may definitely have something to do with the dragon's activity.

This sounds like it could use an investigation, but I can't deny the possibility.

What're you gonna do if there's a connection?

But if they failed, a significant amount of its already low fighting capacity will be depleted. If fighting the Sand Dragon is our only option, we should send that ship to the front line to ensure our success.

...You want to use them as bait?!

Think of it however you like, but that is the condition of my cooperation. Of course, I'm aware that ship can't defeat the Sand Dragon on its own. If you agree with my offer here, I can guarantee the support of what ships the Corporation has. Otherwise, I'm well aware the Union does not have the manpower to confront the Sand Dragon on its own. The people going out there all have families here... I only have the greatest respect for those leaving their families behind to brave the Dusk Sea. That's why they need some reassurance to go out to face the unknown. Sacrificing the people of the city to protect it wouldn't solve anything.

... Well, Solle, Escha, what do you think?

It's not a bad idea, but the biggest question is if Shallistera will agree. We should consider how we might act without her assistance, but I will admit, the odds are not great without her.

I'm sure when Shallie hears about what's at stake here, she'll agree. Of course, I'll do whatever I can to help, too!

What's your decision?

Everything depends on what Shallistera has to say about this, but speaking for the Union, that's acceptable to me.

Well then...

What's your plan?

What do you think is the right thing to do?

There's no correct. answer. "Right" depends on what your personal views are, and where you stand...

Haha, you're a cold one. Though, you're not completely wrong about that... I want Stellard to be a town where everyone can live in peace. That was the decision that was made.

An important decision

It was easy with all the correct materials.

Oh! Good work, Teo! This means...

The repairs are complete! We can sail again, just like new.

Thank you, you did an excellent job.

The only problem is that Sand Dragon. I don't want to take the ship out and have it get damaged again...

Hm, yeah, you're right...

Well you seem pretty chipper today.

Oh, Raoul! Look, the ship is reparied thanks to your materials!

That's great. The other Shallie will definitely be happy.

Hehe! I hope so.

So, Shallistera, I was wondering if you had some time to discuss something important...

Me...?

Well...do you make decisions for this ship?

Raoul, this definitely doesn't sound good. What do you think, Shallie?

Um...

This is your journey, Miss Shallistera. I see myself just as your support while you're here. See what he has to say.

Okay, thank you Teo.

... I still don't like this, dad. Why don't we listen in a little?

...Very well.

Where do I start...? Well, you've heard the rumors about the Sand Dragon, right?

Yes, earlier today, but...

The Union was discussing how to address the problem fo the Sand Dragon, and we decided to use your ship as an important part of the operation to stop the it. Your ship is the strongest ship in Stellard, and well... There's no easy way to say this, but the combination of your adventuring and alchemic talent, along with your ship, is our best possibility. That's why we need you to lend us your strength, to kill the Sand Dragon. I feel bad asking someone who's come such a far way to help, but our offensive forces just aren't enough.

I understand. It's thanks to the people of Stellard that our ship is fixed. So...

I'm so sorry, but we can't reply right away.

Kortes?! And Teo!

It's rude to eavesdrop, by the way.

Still not as bad as you.

Uh, Kortes...

You're going to stay and help with the Sand Dragon that's causing trouble. That's not that weird. I know about the problem Stellard has... But it IS Stellard's problem... It's not ours to help.

If our ship was destroyed, or we got hurt fighting the dragon... Would Stellard save the village in our stead? Our village gets worse and worse every day... We can't put it off any longer.

This and that are two different issues. Besides, what do you think Stellard can do for Lugion?

I don't know yet, but you promised Shallie that you would devote Stellard's resources to helping our village if we helped Stellard with your problems.

I can only promise the Union's resources. But you came to Stellard with the hope of solving the crisis in your village. At this point, the problems of your village and Stellard are one in the same. Stopping the Sand Dragon is in your best interest as well.

Everyone! Please...Raoul, is the dragon posing a threat to Stellard now?

No, not right now, as far as we can tell.

Okay, then, I'll ask everyone I can think of to get an opinion. I don't want to do something I'll regret, for myself and the village's sake.

I think I know what you mean. I understand... Give me your answer after you've had some time to think about it.

Raoul... I'm sorry I can't give you an answer earlier.

It's quite alright. You should be happy you have such good friends... Pardon the intrusion.

That was easier than I thought it would be...

Huh?

He... He was intending on using our ship as a shield. That way, even if they failed to kill it, the city itself wouldn't have taken much damage.

No way.... Raoul isn't like that!

I agree...

Kortes?

Yeah, Raoul is young, but decisive. He seems like a good leader. He didn't seem like he'd decided on this issue, though...

He's hesitating. He might not have thought of this idea in the first place. The only other group that would consider a plan like this would probably be the Corporation. No wonder Raoul didn't seem very enthusiastic about it.

You seem like you've gained a lot of insight, Kortes. The way he hesitated and went around in circles... He knew he was making a crummy proposition.

He doesn't seem like one to lie so easily with a straight face...

Well... I still think he can do it. At least he can make a decision based on the things that are important to him.

...The important things... Teo, Kortes, our job is to save Lugion from its crisis. But to do that, we need to be accepted by Stellard...

A delicate situation, indeed...

Shallie...?

I want to hear what people have to say, and make a choice based on that.

But...

Should we consider this an order from the daughter of the chief? Er, the representative?

Yes. I want to do this, as the representative.

Very well, then. May a thousand voices and ten thousand thoughts guide you, miss. Regardless of your answer, we will be your strength.

Yes, we're here for you.

Thank you, Teo, Kortes... (Hm, where should I start...?)

No regrets

Yes, for the dragon... It's quite scary...

No kidding... How do you even kill a dragon?

I don't know... Hitting it definitely won't do enough...

Yeah... It seems impossible...

...What?

Just thinking... I don't know if it's okay to keep relying on others to protect the town... But as it is, I'd probably just end up in the way.

Do you wanna go, Shallie?

I don't know... But I don't want to do nothing, either...

I see... I don't want you to do anything dangerous, Shallie. Your feelings are the most important thing. If you make a decision, I won't stop you.

Mom...

You should talk to as many people as you can, and think about it thoroughly before you decide... ...About what you want to do, and who you want to be... Don't have any regrets.

...Okay. Thanks, mom.

Shallotte's choice

You could make strong weapons and armor with alchemy... But I doubt it would be enough. Raoul, my sister... Everyone's being reckless. It isn't a decision to be taken lightly.

You're level-headed, as usual.

I know my limits, and the stuff I learned in Central isn't of much use. This might be none of my business... But Stellard is finally trying to unite... I want to help with that, at least. Even Gerard came here to buy weapons and armor.

Wait, Perriend did?! I wouldn't've expected that... I never thought I'd hear something like that from you, Miruca...! Not bad.

Yeah... So have you made a decision about the dragon?

Not yet. I was thinking of asking more people about what I should do.

I see. It's not a decision to make lightly, after all.

Miruca... If I do decide to help fight the dragon, would you want to come with me?

...Of course. I'm sure Wilbell wouldn't want anything to happen to you either.

Thanks Miruca... What do you think I should do?

While it's probably true my skills with Imbuing couldn't defeat the dragon by itself, with the combination of your alchemy, I think we might have a chance. And it's true the people of Stellard will never feel safe as long as the Sand Dragon is outside the city... I think you should.

Shallistera's choice

I'll definitely be on that hunting team, of course... That dragon has been acting up lately.

Is it really because our ship provoked it?

I don't know. But I want to protect this town, for Miruca, somewhere where she feels happy.

Where she feels happy... That's what this is about. Thanks Jurie.

In my opinion, it should be left alone. Investigations tell us that the dragon is quite docile when left alone. Provoking it by attempting to fight it will only make things worse. But, the people over at the Union seem blindly intent on killing it. In that case, the ship that initially provoked the dragon should be sent out as well.

Are you trying to blame this on Shallie's ship? There's no proof!

The initial cause doesn't matter now. But if it came down to a battle, nobody would escape unhurt. And if people from Stellard were injured in the fighting, who do you think they would get angry at?

Shallie? Because they're outsiders...?

I believe that's correct, yes. That ship has plenty of fighting capabilities, but I wonder how people would view it if it were to hang back? But if it was used to fight for Stellard, what would people think? Therefore, it's my decision to include that ship in the battle. I don't care if you think I'm cold-hearted. It's for the good of the city. Do you know what Shallie's feelings are toward this?

Um...last time I talked to her, she seemed unsure what she should do. It sounded like she was going to make the decision based on what she heard from people in town.

If that's the case, then I wouldn't worry about what her decision will be. Even so, you might want to talk to her about this. Just a suggestion. Now then, if you'll excuse me...

The chairman has no higher priority than the town. He wants to minimize threats that appear, just like the Union. Though, to tell the truth, the whole Sand Dragon incident is beyond expectations. There is an unknown cause somewhere, at least, that's what the chairman thinks. The decision to include that ship in the subjugation team was a difficult one for him. I ask for you consideration, as well.

(That's a good point... What has Shallie decided?)

That Sand Dragon is definitely not happy. At this rate, no one will be able to fall asleep again. Observations have showed us the Sand Dragon being sighted numerous times, necessitating countermeasures.

Yeah, but who's going to join the hunting team? It's so dangerous...

The decision to use the outsider's ship is a good choice. It's mobile and sturdy. I reparied it myself with materials I gathered, so, I should know.

So you're suggesting our ship be used as a shield?!

I wasn't that excited about it, if that makes any difference. I feel bad having to borrow their ship... They need to help their own village, after all. The people are just too worried about that dragon... It needs to be dealt with. They believe the flow of goods will stop, and some have started buying up food and other supplies. If this keeps up, the lower class is going to have food issues...

I had no idea that was happening...

That's understandable. It's not something anyone in the Union or Corporation wants to talk about, but I'll be honest, it's not looking good.

It would be nice if there were a better solution...

We've already been trying, Escha. Don't worry about it.

Okay. I guess I should've expected that from you, Solle.

Anyway, that's what's going on. Everyone just needs to think positive and keep their spirits up. Anyway, I'm not trying to push anything onto you, but it would be a big help to the city if you could make a decision soon. Sorry, there's just no easy way to say that...

I know, it's important for everyone... There's just one more person I want to ask, though...

This area. Should be. Protector god. Sand Dragon.

Homura! Then why is it...

Dusk. Probably. Dusk Sea spreads. Keeps spreading. Water dries up. All. Must be. Retaliation. Still exciting. For me.

See? Even Homura is excited to fight the dragon!

Escha!

Shallie...are you scared over having to fight the dragon if you agree?

I guess you can see that... Yes, I am, but I'm more concerned for my village and the safety of Teo and Kortes.

If it's any help, Shallie, I know exactly how you feel. When I went to the Unexplored Ruins...

Alchemy can incredibly rewarding, but incredibly dangerous, too. There's so much we can change in this world, for good or bad. I've seen both sides of that, and well... I'm not sure if I'm saying this right, but I think you can make a difference here, Shallie. Of course, I'll be here to support you no matter what you decide, but...I think this your chance to prove to yourself alchemy is something that can help people.

Escha...

Their choice

Shallie...! What a coincidence, meeting in a place like this.

It is, but, things are getting quite serious around here...

Yeah, you're right.

Also, thanks to you, the ship is all fixed up! Thank you so much!

No problem...

Raoul was saying how our ship is able to fight. He was asking us to fight for the sake of Stellard.

Shallie, if you don't want to do it, you should say something.

What are you going to do?

I want to protect the town, even though I might not be of much use... There must be something I can do.

This city seems really important to you.

Yeah, well. My mom, Miruca, Al, Jurie. So many people I really care about are here. That includes you and me. I've lived here for so long! I Mean, sure, I don't like how there's always trash around no matter how much I pick up... But I still love it here. And I don't want a Sand Dragon to destroy that.

I see... I talked to a lot of people... Everyone is working hard in their own way. They work for the sake of the city, their families... They're serious about protecting the things important to them.

Shallie...

That's how I can understand how important Stellard is to you, and the people of this city. Even as an outsider, the poeple here have shown me so much kindness. I won't forget that.

And that's why I've decided...

Decided...?

Please, let me fight by your side!

Shallie... ...Raoul and the others mean to use you as a shield... So...

I know.

What!?

Still... I will fight for this city as a representative of Lugion Village. I love this city, too.

...No regrets?

Well...I guess that settles it. What do you say we have a big meeting together? I'll go get Miruca and Master.

That's a great idea! From now on, we'll work together!

Yeah, for Stellard!

I'm sorry Kortes, but this is where my decision stands.

I'm so sorry! Please, let us borrow the ship... And Shallie!

You... Didn't get talked into it by Shal, did you?

No. I just want to do whatever I can.

That's good! I'll help.

I won't let anything happen to you, Miruca.

Jurie, stop...!

We make campfire. Exciting adventure. Start now!

Oh Homhom, you never change... This is gonna be a serious fight.

Though we do have Solle and Escha. There should be a fairly good chance at winning.

You might be right...

Yeah. We have a lot of capable, strong people, now we just need the spirit to win it!

If that's your decision, then I will do everything I can to protect you, no questions asked.

Kortes...

And this ship won't go down easily. Even a Sand Dragon is a breeze.

Haha! Not bad, grandpa!

Shal... You really shouldn't be laughing.

Yup, we got this!

...I'm worried...

Uh, Shallie...? If we win this, do you think Stellard will accept us?

Of course. You're already our friend, Shallie!

Awww... Thank you...!

Alright then Shallie, let's go!

Uh...

Oh right, two Shallies... I think we're going to need to come up with nicknames...

Well, I can just call Shallotte "Shal", but...

Yeah, I guess that would be Miruca's nickname.

Shallistera, do you have any ideas for a nickname?

But I already have one...

So Shallistera is going to be "Shallie" and Shallotte is "Shal"?

I guess...

When we. Sail. We need. To. Decide.

I agree, Homhom!

It's good they're already getting along, but...

Yeah. We need to stay focused.

Miss, Shallie, I think you should let the Union know of your decision.

Yeah, we have to let Raoul know!

For Stellard, and for my village!

Hunting the dragon

Music: Those Who Challenge the Twilight

Yes. We'll fight for the sake of this city with our ship!

I see... And your companions support you?

The decision was mine, as the representative of Lugion Village. There's nothing to worry about.

...It might be frustrating to hear me say this after my request, but, I can't guarantee your safety. Are you still okay with that?

The same goes for people in the hunting team.

We'll be fine. I'll be with her!

What are you talking about? Why are YOU going?!

I don't want to be left out... I want to protect the city with everyone else!

Granted, but, we don't need anyone getting in the way...

It's okay with me.

But she's just a kid! There's no reason to send her with the subjugation team...

Everyone was a kid, once. We are no different.

It's too reckless!

The other Shallie is young, too, and yet she is lending us her strength as a representative of her village. I'm sure she thought through her decision very carefully.

I didn't just decide this on my own, I thought about it a lot, and talked to a ton of people!

Ability and victory... Those are all that matter.

You sound pretty sure of yourself.

It's not like I haven't been doing anything. I'm supporting her because she has a drat good chance.

But still...

Ah, Raoul?

What?

If Solle thinks it's alright, isn't that enough?

...Hahh... Fine. Just... Don't get hurt, okay?

Yes!

I shouldn't have to remind you two, but make sure you're extra prepared for this hunt. We're only going to get one real shot at this.

Is it really going to be that hard to hunt it?

We've already discussed how to proceed with the Perriend. The Corporation will contribute what ships they have to drawing the Sand Dragon out. If one ship can draw so much attention from the dragon, a fleet of them will surely draw him out. Then, after the dragon has been lured out, your ship will be right there to meet it. From there, we'll support you as best we can, but the main part of the fight is up to you.

Of course, that's the hard part. Your safety, for many reasons, is more important. If you think your ship is any danger of sinking, pull back. We can always come up with another plan.

Our regular ships don't have the firepower to take on the dragon directly. That's where your alchemy comes in. You'll need a lot of bombs to defeat the dragon. That's also of course, not taking the dragon's ferocity into account. Don't ever underestimate what it can do.

So prepare well, and ensure our safety if things go badly?

Sounds like a plan! Let's get ready!

Of course, if we lose a lot of ships on the Dusk Sea, we may not get a second chance.

... I know. That's why we have to have faith they'll do it right the first time.

They understand the stakes. We have to do everything we can to support them now.

So Shallie, what should do first?

Well, maybe we should see if there are some new recipe books for sale in town. We'll definitely need some powerful bombs to defeat a Sand Dragon.

That's a great idea...

I think Rose might have some new stuff. I don't think Katla will have many new books.

Yes! I knew it! Let's read this together Shallie! Is it...okay if we do alchemy together now?

Sure! I was hoping to ask you... Do you want to do it in the ship or your house?

My mom would probably talk to us too much, and your ship looks really interesting... Let's do it there!

What do you think about the Lava Cube? Do you that could help against the dragon?

Well I can't say I've ever fought a Sand Dragon before, but every little bit should help. All of these other materials look really combustible, so they should be valuable ingredients in the synthesis. Let's try making those first.

Alright, let's get to work!

What kind of bomb is that? Looks...dangerous.

Have you ever used Crafts before?

Sure, they're a big help against weaker monsters...Oh, I see! It's just a bigger, more dangerous, Craft.

That's what the recipe seems to call for. Let's start working on healing supplies.

Hm, we should probably work on getting some new equipment, too. I'll be back soon!

The essence of Slags... Maybe something like this could help me understand them better. Giving life to inanimate objects... I wonder where they came from?

Shallie, Miruca needed some high-quality ingots... Oh! You made some!

Holinicait is a pretty malleable ingot. I guess Miruca wants to make some great new equipment with that.

Yeah! I'll get it made right away!

I'm baaaaack! What are you doing, Shallie?

I'm making a Lava Cube. I was thinking of trying something new for this synthesis. Do you know about chains in alchemy?

I've heard of them in my recipe books, but it looked a little challenging, so I haven't tried them yet.

Well, by combining the same element multiple times in a row, we can increase the property values and make stronger materials. It may be easier to show you...

And the more elements that are added, the greater effect the materials will have, beyond what they normally add to a synthesis.

Hm, but we'll probably need better materials to really use that more often. I don't have much different ingredients in my Container.

Well, it's probably no use worrying about it now. We have to get moving soon.

Well Shallie, are you ready to go?

I'm so nervous, but...yes, I am.

Okay, I'll go get Master and Miruca! Let's do this!

Setting sail

Wow, there're so many ships! And people!

Everyone wants to protect the city!

You're right... So many people love Stellard... We need to protect it too!

Once we get out to open ocean, they'll give chase to the Sand Dragon. While they have it distracted, you have to get as close as you can to the dragon.

Okay!

Shallie, I felt so helpless up until this moment... Now, I feel like I can do anything. I'm sure it's because of you. And everyone.

I feel like I've grown so much! I've never felt so in tune with other people before. Let's give it our best shot!

Yes!

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 2, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"I have decided to go ahead with their plan"
"Okay Shallie"
"Boy I sure am glad you were here. There was no way I could make up my mind otherwise"
"It's cool Shallie!"

Come on gust

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, I love the graphic of both Shallies in Miruca's place. It's just a combination of the solo graphics, right? But it looks really nice.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

You have two images that are the exact same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't really see anybody objecting to the idea that they're just riding out to poke the bear, but I suppose if you're going to poke a bear you make sure you can poke the hell out of it.

• Locked thread