Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat, Ayesha got Keith hooked on the good bud :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

SSNeoman posted:

drat, Ayesha got Keith hooked on the good bud :420:

I kinda feel like some of the others would have come up with wildly different solutions on how to keep Keithgrump from his slow suicide. Most amusingly, for some reason I feel like Logy would have instead invented the e-cig had he been around for such a conversation. Can't quite put my finger on why though. Maybe cause I've never smoked? It just seems more like his kind of invention.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Probably because Logy was really into tech-based alchemy. Keith's little hand guard seems similar to Logy's so you may be pretty on-mark.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Speaking of Keith, that scene where he declares the weird alchemy thing they found in the cave is wildly different depending who you choose. On my Lotte playthrough, I chose to speak to Jurie, and she declares it's actually really valuable. The truth is for you to decide.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
When you say you need the Apple Tart for a specific recipe, do you mean for the Millionaire's Meal, or whatever it's called? because I'm sure I used it and was still able to make the item.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Roro posted:

When you say you need the Apple Tart for a specific recipe, do you mean for the Millionaire's Meal, or whatever it's called? because I'm sure I used it and was still able to make the item.

I know one of Escha's recipes demands the Tart. It's either that or the other one she gives you.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

In that case, you can definitely either make or buy a Tart, but you can't recreate the properties I think. I know I made a top tier Tart for it then had to grind a few levels because all my ingredients were too high a level for me to use.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Endgame Post

So, in lieu of awkwardly trying to explain the high-level alchemy you're almost expected to do at the end of the game (Chapter 10) in an actual update, I decided it would be best to explain this stuff in an OOC post, covering all the odds and ends of doing alchemy with powerful traits and ingredients. Keep in mind, aside from the alchemy I do, the choices of what traits to use are your choice. I'll merely explain how you maximize whatever path you take.

Let's start, appropriately, at the beginning. To even get the traits you need, you'll need powerful prey to drop them. In Chapter 9's free roam, Solle will give whichever alchemist you're playing the game as with the heads up that a bunch of powerful monsters have shown up around the Dusk Sea. This is your cue that you can begin grinding powerful ingredients. There are a bunch of them, but the three you should be most concerned about are the Silver Dragon at Geofront, the Phoenix of the Sea at the Altar of Spirits, and the Servant of the Beast King in the Herb Garden -Depths- I've already shown, in the previous update, where the three are. Anyway, the Phoenix and the Dragon are going to be your primary source of powerful traits at this point of the game. The Silver Dragon's gimmick is that it is resistant to a lot of attacks (most blunt-type attacks and magic attacks. Everyone's normal attack except for Lotte and Solle, I believe, will be able to inflict normal damage on it. It's also a pretty powerful monster, so don't assume he's a total cakewalk. it's also good to know he takes normal damage from every element, so you don't need to worry about those resistances.

His real gag is that after a set number of turns passes, he'll transform into a much more powerful monster, and your fight will drag on for quite a bit longer. There's two different enemies he can transform into, but both are strong monsters. But since we're grinding, you're going to want to avoid that stage. Throw everything at the first form, and if you beat it, you'll get a drop that looks something like this.

The Pendelook has the traits Count Super Enhance (increases the power of an item significantly by the amount of uses it has left) and Traditional Soul (adds 50 PP to any synthesis that trait is in, with a maximum PP of 99). The Diamond Gemstone has the trait Valorous Soul, which provides various increases to a weapon's attack. This is just an average drop (with a possible drop count of four. Use Jurie's Unseen Attack to increase item drop rate), but it contains our golden boy Traditional Soul, which you'll need for funding almost all of your powerful end-game traits.

Now, the Silver Dragon, and all of his ilk, do respawn, I'm just not sure of the rules of when or how they do. It has something to do with other locations you visit, which is why I mentioned the two other bosses. Phoenix is an interesting fight, in that it will pass on two of its turns, with the gimmick that the third time it gets a turn, it'll launch a devastating line-up of six powerful attacks in a row. You shouldn't let it get to this point, obviously. The Servant is simply a powerful physical attacker without any particular weaknesses (he is strong against Fire and Water), but without gimmicks. Once your rotation or thereabouts is complete, return to Stellard, and the Silver Dragon should respawn.

You may be asking, why the Silver Dragon? That's because it'll provide the best traits on average, but the Phoenix will give the most experience, and a good trait or two of its own (in fact, this end-game trait grinding is a good way to get a lot of EXP. The Phoenix will give about 4 times the experience the Dragon will, with the EXP number dropping dramatically once your characters are past level 80.

Anyway, keep that rotation going, and get the traits you want. Now, it's on to the alchemy aspect of it.

This was taken in the latter parts of my synthesizing, but the point always remains. So, how do you move the traits you want to the equipment you want? This is the point of this post, and what I'll do my best explaining.

All things begin with the Traditional Soul. I had an incredible bout of misfortune regarding that trait, as it only showed up once in like 6 hours of grinding. And just for the record, like a lot of powerful end-game traits, you can't create it by combining two more common traits, so don't ask. It happened to be on a material called the Dragon Bone from the Silver Dragon, which was an unfortunate occurance, as the Dragon Bone is a (Dragon Material) item. There's only one synthesis that could have resulted in the outcome I wanted: the Sun Flower. The Sun Flower is an alchemy level 70 item that needs 9 Scrap Metals (from the factory area where we got the first automaton as Lotte way back when), 1 Dunkelheit, one Aroma Materia (another high-level synthesis. Alchemy level 50 something, and a very valuable synthesis item in its own right), and a Dragon material.

The reason I wanted a Sun Flower was because it's an ingredient in several categories. It counts as a (Jewel), (Ancient Power), (Metal), and (Elixir). Once I got the Sun Flower made, I obviously put Traditional on it and began spreading it around. That's the way it goes. Unless you are supernaturally lucky at getting that trait, you need that trait on items all over the place. Create Supplements (you should only be interested in Rainbow, Black, and White Supplements, though the other four have their uses), anything that falls into one of those four categories. Just keep spreading it around, and if you think you have enough items that have it, you're wrong.

So once you're done spreading it around, time to start preparing your synthesis items.

This is an average synthesis. Why do I have so many Earth-type alchemy skills on this synthesis? Surely I don't need all of them, you say. You only have half the story looking at that screenshot. First, check out how good this Mysterious Cloth is (the Mysterious Cloth is a good item to add armor-enhancing traits to, by the way). 378 quality, with a quality cap of 999. How in God's name did I get that? There's no sorcery here, just good ol' fashioned synthesis. Higher quality will just increases the effects (damage dealing, stats, etc.) of the item. Higher is better, of course.

Check what all the ingredients have in common. With the exception of the Slag Core, they all have an Earth value (the Super Pure Water has an Earth trait attached called Attribute Earth, which adds Earth to any item that doesn't already have it. When you add two alchemy skills that have the same attribute (so, for example, if I added Med. Ingenuity and Property Level+ for Wind), I would get Chain Bonus x2. If I added Equip. Frame- Level 2 next, and that material still had slots to put alchemy skills in (or the next material in the synthesis also had a Wind attribute), my Chain Bonus becomes x4. You keep going, and going, and you keep doubling that number.

You could get around Chain Bonus x16,000 if the cap on the Chain Bonus wasn't 5000, and every item in the synthesis had four alchemy skill slots, but that's plenty (and when you run out of alchemy skills of an element, the Chain resets with a new element.). What you want to do next is leave two slots open. One is the Earth skill Chain Effect, which increases the effect of an item in proportion to the Chain Count (which is how I got that Mysterious Cloth up to 378), and Number / Count level 3. For an item like this, that increases the number of that item that comes out of the synthesis (here, I'd get five Cloths) or for items with a use count, it increases the number of times you can use it.

Just as a side note, with Miruca, the Chain Count can go up to 7000.

Here we go with the actual alchemy we're interested in, making superweapons. Now, whether it's armor, weapons, accessories or healing items, it's always the same. You want powerful traits mixed with PP increasing traits (Traditional Soul is 50, PP Frame Expansion is 8, and PP Frame Maximization is 20. Added together with your alchemist's base PP, that's easily 99) on the items you want. If you don't find it from a drop, you can artificially create Expansion with PP Expansion +3 and +5 in the same synthesis, and Frame Maximization comes from PP +5, which is pretty common, and +7, which you can get by getting Property level 3 with a Red Supplement.

It would be simpler if you could just have all the traits you wanted on one synthesis ingredient, but this is rare. It's not critical, anyway. Now, let's check out how I made this Meteor (Stera is the only one who can use this. It's probably her best attack item, since it also has a timed effect, meaning when you use Meteor, it'll drop three more times before it goes away).

All those Fire skills in a row, I've already explained why I do that(with the Leichester Meteorite Iron needing Attribute Fire), but the last one is Equip Frame+ Level 2. Why I used this, I will shortly explain.

Jumbo Blessing is the reason. That trait increases the power of an attack or healing item x10 depending on how many equip slots it takes up (up to a maximum of 9). That means you can almost double the power of an attack item with a single trait, depending on how much room it takes up. Quality always trumps quantity when it comes to attack / healing items in this game. Huge Damage with Numbers "Massively enhances attack items by a fixed amount. Weaker power results in stronger enhancement." Which means I probably could have better spent this slot elsewhere, but eh. Things worked out. Property Super Enhance massively increases the effect of an item depending on the properties present. What this means, is that the higher PP the cost of the traits on your item, the more that trait increases the power of the item. Since these traits together cost me 96 PP, that's a *huge* increase.

This is another accessory I like a lot. The Treasure Grimoire might not objectively be one of the best, but it does provide one significant buff: significantly increasing the power of Ultimate Attacks (Ultimate Mastery). I usually like to put this on a few characters, as it'll make Ultimate Attacks hit like a runaway train powered by a jet engine packed with nitroglycerin. In my battle against the ultimate final boss, Keith broke the damage scales of the game. The game said he hit for 53,320, which is perfectly respectable, but the numbers just didn't add up. The boss had more than 80,000 HP left before his Ultimate. When I actually did the math, the final attack actually hit for 153,320. It's the most damage I've ever seen any of my characters do.

For this Grimoire, Lord of Day provides HP regeneration and a chance to avoid KO, Earth Spirit resists turn delay attacks and increases the assist recovery rate, and Sky Soul both increases assist effects and increases the amount of Burst Gauge filling each attack by that character does. Not a terribly exciting line-up, but certainly a solid, supportive one.

For Lotte and Stera, your accessories should be different. Since their primary role is to survive and use items to support everyone else, you should focus on defensive accessories / traits. This Gold Coin of Fortune increases MP and defense (Water Spirit), HP and attack (Fire Spirit), and increases all stats except for resistances and fire and water resistance (Sunlight). I only made this for the Avoid KO-S (gives a small chance to avoid a KO, as the name might suggest), and because it's a fairly easy accessory to get good traits on.

This accessory is unique to Stera's story and something Lotte players will just have to envy. From top to bottom, the highest level effects get you larger than expected damage (higher level increases this effect), automatically revive from KO (only when that character's turn comes up), increases damage of critical hits by 15%, and increases damage in Burst Mode by 5%. For traits, I went with Light God (bestows damage reversal and neutralizes all negative status effects), Lord of Night (increases critical hit chance and chance of dramatically reducing wait time after an action), and Dark God (increases speed and reduces skill wait time). Considering all you should be using is skills, an incredibly valuable trait.

This is what I have weapons for Keith. For all my characters, I went with some combination of Persisting Attack (power / skill power increase), Valorous Soul (which does much the same thing. These two traits stack), Twin Burst (significantly increases the amount of Burst Gauge percentage added per attack. Makes getting into Burst Mode much easier), and Chaos Attack, which is much the same as Persisting Attack. It's not very imaginative, but you can hardly argue with results, eh?

For armor, the choice is between Combat Shirts or Divine Shirts. Divine Shirts have better stats, and DMG Cut-L reduces incoming damage by 10%, hardly an inconsiderable amount, but Combat Shirts give you a pretty strong chance of avoiding a KO. The choice is yours. For traits, you could do much worse than Evolves the Body, Enhances the Body (base stats increase by 10%), and Tough Body (base stats increase of 15%, and +30 to defense).

For the last part of this post, let's talk the Elixir, since it's by far the most valuable healing item and pretty much makes all others obsolete. Now, this Angel Powder is an indirect, but important step. The reason I made this with these traits is that the Angel Powder can move ingredients from a Supplement to a (Medicinal Ingredient), which in turn can be applied to a Medical Solution (the Solution is an excellent transfer item to weapons, armor, accessories, or healing / attack items), and the Solution can be applied to the Elixir in the (Mystery) category.

The Elixir itself is an alchemy level 74 item, and requires a Dunkelheit, (Water), (Mystery), and (Elixir).

Now, under normal circumstances, I could jack all the Effects on this thing all the way, but that's not what you want to do, for the sake of the Wind effect (which, at its highest value, has no effect, but second highest removes all negative status effects). You can see all the usual PP enhancing suspects, but take note of Low Energy Mode on the Super Pure Water and Reuse Resources and Auto Material on the Ancient Tree Splinter (quite a lucky break to get those two in one, actually). By the way, Low Energy Mode, unless you find it as a property on a material, can also be acquired by combining Recycle and Recycle+ in the same synthesis. You can find these traits on the Junk / Scrap Metal and the Small Relic, respectively.

This is about ideal, as the Elixir takes up fairly little space, has all the best possible effects. I wish I could have gotten the effect value a little higher, but I'll just have to accept this as a result.

Perpetual Motion means the use count of the item will never go down, but it consumes the alchemist's MP instead. Not a big deal, since it will immediately be replaced by the MP Recovery XL. Auto Material turns the Elixir into a timed effect and is automatically used when an alchemist's HP falls below 25%, and Blessing of Strength grants a massive (about 40 points) attack increase to all characters affected by it. Perpetual Motion and Auto Material (or any "Alchemist falls below x health in battle, automatically used" traits) are your primary targets here. You can put anything you want in the third slot. Totally up to you.

Honestly, I may have to revisit the Elixir, since 25% is not great, and you can get an auto-use up to 60% with the trait Auto Use. We'll see how things work out, and it wouldn't be that hard to get those traits back.

Edit: turns out things worked out marvelously with this Elixir.

As a postscript, I am not saying this is the only combination of traits, accessories, attack items, armor, weapons, etc. that will guarantee success. With the high level alchemy in this game, and the wide variety of traits available to you, there are any number of choices that will all have the same chance of success I had when going up against the two most powerful bosses in the game. Hopefully this was informative, and any questions will be addressed appropriately as edits to this post.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 3, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:stare: holy poo poo.
That's incredible. Man when Atelier kicks it into the endgame, it loving kicks it.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus wept. That has more than highlighted how woefully underprepared I am, and how I clearly do not understand as much about the alchemy system as I thought I did.
Always a pleasure seeing you bend the game like this.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
They don't tell you who won?! (Or did I miss it?)

I need to know who is the sweets master.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIII: The Valiant Side of the Great Heroes

Sorry, Escha...

No, it's okay! I guess not very many people have actually seen it.

What kind of dish is it...?

It's extravagant and luxurious, but pretty much only seen in books these days. It seems hard to gather all the ingredients, but I want to try it sometime... I actually have the book here, but I'm not sure if I have enough ingredients. Do you want it?

Sure! I want to see if I can make it!

I wonder if the ultimate dishes are made with meat...

Oh, hey, you have perfect timing...

What is it?

New work!?

Mm, I suppose you could call it work... We've received reports of a dangerous dragon that appeared in the Dusk Sea.

Dangerous... Is it something like the Sand Dragon?

It appears much more dangerous than the Sand Dragon. It's SO dangerous, we hardly have any information on it.

I've never heard of anyone seeing anything like this before...

Why so suddenly?

That's what I want to know.

...Could it be...

Kortes...?

Could it be... Because we hunted down so many dragons?

!!

We can't be certain of such a relation.

But you said there could be an effect on the ecosystem, right?

...I did say that.

The world's never easy, is it...

...We'll take care of this.

Kortes...!!

Why do you say that?

If there's a chance what we did caused this dragon to appear, we need to take responsibility.

But we're the ones who asked you to do it in the first place.

I can't deny that. Are you really okay with this?

Yeah. ...Right, Shallie?

...Yes.

So Solle, nobody knows where the dragon is?

Not right now, no. We've received the reports about the dragon from Faav Village. The dragon is probably in that region.

The area around Faav Village... There's not many places a large dragon could hide, right?

The eastern continent doesn't have many places, no. We should probably focus on large places, though we can probably exclude the herb garden area. Aside from that, and the Castle of Mirages, there's not many large areas where a dragon could live. Wasn't there anywhere else?

Um...the Heaven's Vine is a large area near Faav Village. We should start looking there.

Good idea. Raoul, has there been any reports of trouble caused by the dragon?

None that I've heard.

Hmm...

Hello Shallies!

Yo. You two. You noticed?

Oh! Those are Escha's tarts!

Jealous? Not made. With alchemy. Baked properly!

Hmm. Do you think baked ones are better than ones made with alchemy, Homuran?

Well... Matter. Of Feelings!

A matter of feelings... That reminds me, my coworker in Colseit said something like that too. I guess with synthesis, you kind of worry about what ingredients were used.

Really? I don't really mind, as long as it tastes good...

Oh, well, I understand that! I guess that puts me with the worriers...

Grr... I see... I think I'm the type who doesn't care as long as it tastes good...

Even alchemists. Think different! By the way. In Colseit. Only met alchemists. Who were officials. Shallies. Somewhat refreshing.

I'm a little curious, just what makes us so refreshing?

When you're an official, you're always following orders.

Could that really make a difference? ...Oh, what about Keith?

...Him. Can't handle!!

Huh, why not?

Him... Wants to know. All my secrets!

He's just interested. You should try and be a little more friendly with him.

Escha. Don't care. If one day. Find me dissected!?

You seem really specific in what you're afraid of...

I'm more afraid that I could totally see that happening...

Right!? Don't want. To be fillet!!

It wasn't just me. Everyone worked together.

But that's still amazing! I really want to fly through the sky!

You too? I felt the same way... I was so elated when I finally got to...!

I'm getting excited just hearing about it!

I'd ridden in a balloon before, but it was completely different...

That's awesome! I wonder if I could see how far the Dusk Sea goes if I could fly?... Although, that might be a little disappointing...

I don't think so... It's wonderful to see how small your world really is, and see the whole world going on and on...

I'll find a way to fly myself some day...!

What did you make there, Stera?

It's a talisman that's been passed down in my clan. Teo gave me the recipe to make it, but... I feel kind of strange when I look at it.

It does look really mysterious, huh?

My clan calls it the "Talisman of Ancient Beasts". There's a story in my clan that long ago, Lugion was protected by "Beast Men", but it's really nothing more than a legend. Something like this, though...

Well, it's powerful, right?

Yes, but I don't know if that's all it does.

No doubt about it. There it is.

So this is...!

Whoa, this thing looks more dangerous than the Sand Dragon...!!

Humans...

...What's this voice!?

Do you intend to do battle with me, humans...?

...Yeah! As long as you keep harming people, we'll have to keep fighting you!

And if you were to defeat me, you would continue to kill my kind?

...If it were possible to coexist, we'd try that... But...

...I knew it. That's a shame, seeing how we're actually able to talk like this...

That cannot be helped. The worlds we live in are too different. Since we cannot coexist, our only choice is a conflict of pride.

...Yeah. Very well. Here we come!

Tropical storm

Music: FJ: Arm of Divinity

Kortes...?

That idiot...

...?

We were able to talk, but in the end, we couldn't communicate a drat thing to each other. ...I guess that means we need to come up with our own answers.

...Hey, Shallie. I thought I had seen more and knew more of this world than anyone in the village, but... I still hardly know anything at all.

...Nothing worth mentioning.

But you were pacing in circles! Is something troubling you?

We'll help if we can!

...I was just thinking that I needed to resupply my herbs.

Oh, that's all...? That's a relief.

I told you it wasn't worth mentioning.

If you need to resupply, it's better to just get it over with.

Exactly.

Very well. Shall we go?

No, wait. I need to think.

Is it really something to think about?

The amount he's been consuming has grown considerably compared to when he's alone... He most likely doesn't wish to admit it.

He's smoking more... It IS stressful to be on a ship for so long... Is there anything we can do?

Stera... I don't really think that's the issue... But it's kind of strange. I don't smell any tobacco.

Master does not smoke tobacco. He did a few years ago, but stopped out of concern for his health.

Ugh. Odelia, we're going.

Yes master.

Hey Kortes, what're you thinking about?

Oh... Just about how this world makes you think about a lot of things.

...Like what?

When I was in Stellard, and after I came back to the village, I didn't know anything. Now I've talked to dragons, seen spirits and ruins of a past civilization... There's so much I don't know.

There's a lot we didn't know back in the village...

Yeah. And despite that, I was complaining about how the village never changed, like I knew everything.

I want to see change, not be bound by the stale old traditions of the village. My opinion hasn't changed on that. But that doesn't mean everything about the village is wrong. For example, the alchemy in the village isn't a stale tradition. New alchemy can't do everything, either. ...Everything doesn't need to be changed for the sake of change, only things that need it.

Kortes...

I'm sure there's still a lot in Lugion Village, too.

...Yeah, you're right. I'm sure of it!

When we return to the village, I should examine our past...

That's why we have to protect our village's future.

Exactly. Though...I'm not sure if I'll stay in Lugion forever. I'll stay as long as you need my support, but one day, I want to see the world, or at least as much of it as I can.

So Stera, what do you want to do now? Are we gonna head back to the underground city?

No... I thought we might finish Keith's request. It has been a while.

Oh yeah... What did he want us to make?

A Travel Gate.

Well that was pretty simple. I guess he was just testing if we could do it.

Phew, I'm glad you approve.

Don't be absurd, this is just the beginning. You may wish you failed here by the end.

Okay...! I'll try to prepare myself!

Prepare? Hah. You've only just started the path of alchemy. There's nothing that can prepare you for what you'll learn if you continue this path.

Whaaat? This was already hard enough, and it's just going to get worse? Wait, I mean... I'll do my best!

... Anyway, I want you to make the Medicine of the Four Beasts next. Learning the proper mixture of ingredients is not something you can read in any book. You will just have to feel out the correct recipe. When you think you're ready, come back to me.

This is gonna be easy!

That wasn't as hard as Mr. Keith made it seem. Does that mean...?

it was difficult... But thanks to this, I feel like I understand alchemy more. What should we do next? I think we can do even better!

Yeah, I feel like I could synthesize something amazing!

There's nothing more I can teach you. You should think about what to do next on your own.

Huh, what does that mean?

No way, we're finally getting into it. Why now?

All I did was give you a chance to draw out that talent. You need to think for yourselves about what to do now.

I'll keep working at it!

If you need advice, I can tell you anytime. I'll take my leave.

Keith seems really strict, but he's actually really nice.

If my dad was still alive, maybe he'd be like that... Anyway, let's get back tand keep synthesizing more stuff!

Yes, we need to keep thinking on our own so we can keep improving!

Sheesh. You never change, Reyfer.

And you haven't changed a bit either, Escha.

Grr. I've grown, you know.

Although past a certain age, women don't enjoy being told that they've "changed"...

Solle, you aren't helping!

I think men and women are the same in that regard...

It may be a good idea to open a discussion about the correlation between age and development!

And how many customers would that attract?

You seem awfully close-minded for someone so young, Solle! How unfortunate.

But Solle is still a lot more relaxed than he used to be, right?

I wonder if that's because Mr. Grumman ain't here?

... Not both, Escha. Government officials are often seen as very conservative by others.

Yeah! The government official Solle Grumman needs to be serious!

I don't really know how I feel about that.

C'mon, don't worry about the details!

This seems like a reunion of friends who haven't seen each other in a while.

By the way Reyfer, are you still saving your money? Have you bought a house yet?

Well you see, Escha... I was invited by Harry to go on an adventure. It cost quite a bit of money to come this far... And m wallet's been getting thinner, if you know what I mean...

I see... Now that I think about it, this is pretty far from Colseit...

But you couldn't possibly think that this journey was a pointless experience!

I guess so... Yeah, I still can't really argue with Harry...

Escha, have you heard from Logy recently?

He sent me a letter a few months ago. Logy said that Ms. Marion and Linca were still busy running the branch. With me gone, Logy's had to handle all of the alchemy needs of the branch. He was saying it's pretty tough keeping up with all the demand.

That makes sense. You and Logy proved just how valuable alchemy can be to the branch's needs. We were even able to keep Central away from directly managing the branch.

That's a surprise to hear you say that, Solle. I thought a government official would want Central involved.

My concern was for the branch primarily.

I understand completely!

Even Solle is smiling... It must be nice to have old friends like that...

I hope we'll be able to do that someday too!

Um, could it be around here...?

Escha, please try not to make a mess.

Hello... Escha, are you looking for something?

Hmm, I was just wondering if there's a plant encyclopedia around here.

Plants?

I wanted to look up plants native to this region...

Did you find a strange plant? Could this be a new culinary discovery...!?

Ahaha... No, it's this...

Hmm...

I've never seen seeds like this before...

I knew it... If possible, I wanted to find the best place for them to grow...

I'm sure your friend would be really happy if she knew you were taking it so seriously!

Yeah... I want her to be happy...

Leave to me. Solle. Solle. Have minute?

...Oh, yes. Uh, Homura...

They understand each other without saying anything! Is this what men's friendship is like? How nice!

We know. Each other. Long time.

That's right, we've known each other for quite a while.

Solle. By the way...

Oh right, I forgot. Here you go.

Om nom... Mm. Friendship. Sweet.

You can have some too.

Yay, Solle's handmade cookies!

To me. Best sweets. In the world!

Anyway, Shallie, looks we have a problem at the Ruins of Frozen Time. Surveyors in the area have noticed some particularly powerful flying slags in the area. If I recall, we have to go there anyway soon.

Yes, the path to the water control device is in that area.

Then, Homura, we should get going.

Excited. To see. What happens!

...What do you mean?

The Dusk.

We're searching to solve that... Right?

...Let's say the water supply in Stellard can't be fixed and everyone has to move. What would you do?

...I won't let that happen.

...Yeah, that sounds like you.

Kortes. You liked your village, and Stellard, a lot more in the past.

What do you think I should do to start trusting the strength of people again?

Well, I guess we found the slags. Still, just one...

Is there something wrong?

...We'll see.

We're surrounded!

Then we'll just have to fight.

Cyclone

That sure was tough...

But we have to keep going!

Does anyone else...feel that?

Hairs. Standing up. Something powerful. Close!

A... A person? No! A wolf...? Umm...

(Why have you entered our world and disturbed our lives? I am the "King of Ancient Beasts." We were born here in this city, in ancient times... After the humans who lived here died, we took over. You appear to be the descendants of humans... Who drown in their own knowledge. Only we can use these ruins. Our time has passed long ago, but we haven't disappeared, either. Do you... Choose to live along side us?)

This voice... Is that the beast talking...?

It's not a voice... I can hear it inside my head!?

It's telepathy. It's to the point where it can't speak anymore... What do we do? Is this a challenge?!

Looks like we have no choice...!

Vortex

We won?

The "King of Ancient Beasts"... What WAS it?

Our people call them "Beastmen". There're ruins of underground cities all around the world, and it's confirmed that Beastmen lived in them. But thanks to having a certain alchemic item, my theory has developed in an unexpected direction... It's common knowledge that here are several gaps in the history of current human civilizations. Something should bridge the gap between civilizations, but it was a mystery until now... Apparently Beastmen fill the gap.

This talisman made it so we could understand them...?

Unfortunately, there aren't many Beastmen left...

Escha, is there something wrong?

Yes. That Beastman...looked just like one me and Logy fought back in Colseit. I never thought I'd see another one, but what Mr. Keith said...

There are two Travel Gates here... Which one should we use first?

Another ancient city?

This place looks very similar to the Geofront. We should proceed with caution. If the humans of the past built their city on top of this one, maybe they were trying to keep something out.

Uh-oh...

Typhoon

K-K-Keith! What the heck is this!?

This...is a Controller. This is what you fight against!

If the evil remains of past alchemy are still in this world, what will you do?

Um...

You stand and face it, head on!

Music: FJ: Hand of Dusk

Is that it...!? Did we do it!?

No. That definitely wasn't the control device, but it was a Controller. It was valuable in an of itself to destroy this one. That is the responsibility of alchemists today.

Responsibility...

If you want to walk the path you've chosen, you need to accept responsibility for the good and evil it has done, and can do, in your hands. If you believe alchemy is a positive force in this world, you need to prove it.

Land seemed barren. Long ago too...

Back then, advanced technology from the past civilization was much more active than now. Automatons like me were tasked with various specialized occupations.

It seems like it...

Huh, how did you...?

It just seemed like that...

Could it be the same person who sends you those letters...?

What!? Why would you bring that up...!?

Ahaha... You're so cute when you get flustered, I couldn't help it...!

I don't know what to say...

That long ago, huh...? What kind of person is she?

Could she be an automaton?

She's not an automaton, she's called a Controller... But her soul was the same as us... I can't really explain it... She'd given up on us humans... But came to an understand... And she gave me these seeds... That's why I want to make this land green again... I made a promise with her...

I heard ancient alchemy created the Dusk... But that's not all there is to alchemy.

It sounds like people were thinking of ways to solve the Dusk too.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 7, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Usual notes for a complex update.

First: I fought the dragon on NO HOPE, the Slag dragons on Hardcore, I think (thought I could have easily defeated them on Despair), and the Beastman and Controller on Despair as well. I was playing with fire on those two. The Controller does a poo poo load of different things, and unless you are really playing on the edge, you probably won't see them all on a single fight. On a cruel note, he can spam that Red Faction move, and just call out his buddies and call them back instantly to instantly heal himself with absolutely no chance of interruption by you. The Controller simply does not play by the same rules everyone else does. He gets a free attack every time a character on your team gets broken, or just when he feels like it. It's not a powerful attack, to be fair, but there are no rhymes or reasons why he, or his buddies, will get turns.

Oh, and speaking of his buddies, don't bother attacking them when he summons them. While it's true the boss will get more health back depending on how many are left on the field when he recalls them, they just have too much health to easily swat aside. They do have an insta-death attack, which sucks for them, as my accessory line-up completely prevented them from causing insta-death on any of my characters. Oh, and I wanted to save Hand of Dusk for the final boss (who will definitely be fought on NO HOPE), just for thematic impact, but the way things worked out is acceptable.

Second: the beastman is just as bullshit as he was in E&L, but on the plus side, there's not nearly as long a wind-up to fight him again if you lose (remember in E&L, you had to go through the entire DLC dungeon if you wanted to face him again, as well as his meat shield tank Slag pal). The one attack I didn't let him pull off on my victory run was a super attack he'll do occasionally after he throws out his bladed boomerang (which, by the way, significantly reduces your Burst Gauge. Assholishness is just how he rolls). Like the Beastman in E&L, you simply can't afford to drag this fight out, because he will just add an ungodly number of turns and timed attacks that never go away. This, and the Controller, are why the Treasure Grimoire significantly increasing Ultimate Attack power is so valuable.

Third: the DLC dungeon has a recipe book of its own, featuring super power accessories with occasionally bizarre descriptions. I looked high and low for the stupid thing, but couldn't find it while I was recording. When I pick up recording again (probably tomorrow, to record the rest of the story and possibly all of the endings), I'll look for it again. Some of the special effects on these items, their descriptions are very strange and I'm not entirely sure they do anything (as a side-ntoe, the trait Awakened Soul, which says it increases level in proportion seems to be a bugged trait, as everyone I've heard trying to it use says it doesn't seem to do anything. I can't make heads or tails of the trait description, either). In the DLC dungeon, you can find every material and every trait, but the catch on grinding here instead of the Silver Dragon / Phoenix is that you'll have to wade through a lot of crappy traits before you might get a good one. Wastes more time than it saves. The enemies are all high-level versions of normal monsters found throughout the world, all in one spot.

Fourth: the end is upon is. Next update ends the story, then we go to the endings. All I have to record in terms of extras is all the attack items (including Lotte's dumb item combining skill. Not particularly looking forward to this one), and the encyclopedia. I personally can't wait to finish this off.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I noticed that Red Faction thing was used as a heal. He just called his buddies out and then instantly sacrificed them. Goddamn bosses get like 8 turns in a row now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Yeah. There's no reason just to use humans as Controllers, is there?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So I was recording the endings for Stera and Lotte today when what did I notice but I didn't meet the requirements for the True Ending as Lotte. This is very strange, as my Lotte game is a New Game+ and it should be there. For a while I was worrying that the game would be dickish enough to require you to literally not play the same alchemist two times in a row or you won't get the True Ending (so if you ended as Lotte, you have to play Stera to get the ending). Since my Lotte game is coming from a Lotte game, that *would* explain it, but it would doom me to play an almost entirely meaningless playthrough as Lotte (from my Stera game), or Stera (from my Lotte game. Likely the former, since I don't give two shits about making ultimate equipment on my Lotte run), just to record the True Ending.

Then I looked on GameFAQs, pretty much my only source for reliable in-depth English information about this game.

TheDefenestratr posted:

I had to look this up on a Japanese site, so I'm relatively confident these are the conditions (without having done testing myself). Also, I make no guarantees about my or Google's translations... >.>

I guess the only thing you can do is see if you are missing one of these conditions and try to meet it.

- True End can be gotten with either heroine. Must be on a clear data file (your second playthrough).
- The two endings of the heroine you did select must be met (Shallistera's other end is where she becomes a government official and Shallote's is the apprentice end).
- The friend level of the heroine you did not select must be 100.
- The motivation gauge must be 70% or more (edit: gauge cannot drop below 70% during the course of the whole game? Not sure.)
- View Escha's events about the seeds (these events occur after the sweets fair, so those events need to be cleared as well). Supposedly there are three events here related to the seeds.

The one thing I didn't do as Lotte was see the three events about the seeds, but those events only trigger after the sweets festival, which, again, I didn't really care about doing on Lotte as I already did it as Stera and there's no point in recording something like that twice. As you might guess, I really stopped caring about doing extensive Lotte stuff once I reached Chapter 10. I hope this guy is right about those seeds, because goddamn do I not want to play this game a fifth time just for a 3-4 minute ending.

If this guy is right about those events, then what a dick move by the game. Those events, while they are nice, in no way would anyone guess those were necessary to get the True Ending.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 9, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh poo poo :(

Hope it works out because that would really suck.
Escha's seeds came up late inbthe game so I thinkbyou should be ok.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIV: The Far Side of the Twilight Ocean

Wish me luck, Stera! I'm going to make my flying machine!

You're going to do it!? Good luck!

Alriiight! It's finally complete! I should go tell master right away!

What? That's the item you made to fly!? So you really did make it! That's great!

I talked to lots of people and got some help. But I should be able to fly with this! I'll try riding it now!

B-be careful, okay...!?

Wait, the controls aren't working!? I-I'm going to crash!

Are you alright?

...It was just a moment.

Huh?

It was just a moment, but I flew! I really flew!!

Shallie... Y-yeah, you did. Good work. Although it looks like you still have plenty of room for improvement.

Yeah! Alright, time to start improving it!

(I did it, I'm one stop closer to reaching my dream!)

The abyss

Yep. If we stop the purification device, the water will go back to normal eventually... Right?

It would probably take a long time. This was caused by humans in the first place... We need to take responsibility.

Hah... You don't need to think that way... Of course a human should stop a device a human created. This is a result they brought upon themselves.

Hmm... If we stop it, will the Dusk stop too?

The Dusk isn't an individual phenomenon, it's a condition. A collapsed system isn't easily restored.

I guess that would be too easy...

Stopping the device wouldn't be for nothing. It's the course you decided to take, remember? In the short term, of course, the dwindling water supplies in this region would be in real danger of running out. In the long term, the condition should be more favorable for people, even if the world itself doesn't want it.

The world doesn't want it?

This is the path you chose. As long as we humans are here, we have to do everything we can to survive. If that means fighting against what the world has fated for us, so be it.

We just need to do what we can, Stera!

You're right. Let's go, Lotte!

Music: Narcolepsist

That looks like the center of the device. We should go there if we want to stop it...

So there are dangerous slags down here, too. Hmph. Let's take care of all of them.

Even more powerful slags. I guess it makes sense, since this ruin has been here for so long...

One last obstacle...

This is the core.

But where's the device? I don't see anything...

We don't know how ruins like this work... We should we extra careful...

Ocean-colored

Wow, I didn't think there'd be a place like this underground...

Lotte! Look!

What's that?

Stay on your guard.

Huh?

Did you forget? There were documents about artificial life forms with the ones for the device. Some ancient alchemy devices work by using life forms as intermediaries. There's no question this is one of them. If the device is out of control, the life form isn't going to be in a normal state either.

A device created from an artificial life form... So the purification device was something like that...

But why would they build something like that?

Think about it. A completely automated device, if it broke, would mean disaster for the entire region. However, an artificial life form would last a lot longer, and would be able to repair any damage itself, without constant human intervention. And it isn't the only one... Didn't I tell you? Humans love repeating the same mistakes.

Still... Turning a living thing into a device is too much.

As I thought... It won't just sit by and let us shut it down.

Music: Tsunami

Music: Luto -Tochisurumono-

It's done playing around. Now's the time to throw everyone we have at this!

Time to finish this.

Did we shut the device down?

In a manner of speaking, yes. Anyway, come with me.

The device has restarted under normal operation conditions.

Restarted?

The problem wasn't the device, it was what was controlling it. This should buy a little time.

Is it okay not to stop it?

Without the Controller, the device will stop on its own eventually. Not for a while, but it will. At that point, Stellard and the surrounding regions will have a water crisis. Of course, I can't say when that will happen. I've fixed the levels for the intake and output. It won't intake more than necessary. Better than nothing. The rest is up to nature.

But the Dusk really won't stop?

No way! We won't lose to the Dusk. That includes our towns, too!

Yeah, you're right!

Graduation

I'll put the material in here. Easy!

...What a weird song.

Hey, Miruca! You're late. You said you'd teach me alchemy from Central today!

There's not much I can teach. You've gotten really good at alchemy, Shal.

What? No way! Not at all. I can't do anything about the Dusk like this!

Well to be honest, you HAVE gotten pretty skilled at alchemy.

Wait, really? Stop! You're embarrassing me!

Today's your initiation!

Huh?

There's nothing else I can teach you. Not for a while, actually. Hahh. Now I can finally get back to my magic training!

Wait, does that mean I won't be your apprentice anymore?

I guess you could say that... Though I was never an alchemist in the first place. That okay?

No, it's not okay! You're my master!

You say that, but, the apprentice is more skilled than the master, here...

Please, Master! I want you to stay as my master! I want to learn more!

I just told you...

Please! Please...

Shal?

There're things I need to do, just like you. Or more like, I found out what I need to do. That's why I can't just be thinking about alchemy all the time. You'll be fine, your alchemy is amazing! I taught you, so there's no doubt! I know you'll try your hardest!

Future plans

Looks like it's finally over, Shallie.

In the end, I wasn't able to help the village... But that's okay, we know why the water was drying up, and what to do about it.

You've changed since coming to Stellard.

Really?

Yeah. A lot.

You've changed too, haven't you?

Have I?

Yes.

Well it's nothing compared to you... All I learned is that there's a lot I don't know.

Are you... Going to go on another journey?

I want to, if I can. Though I know there're probably things to do around the village...

Do you want to travel the seas with me?

Jurie...

I'm trying to get rich.

Get rich?!

I started thinking about Miruca's alchemy and how that might not be able to sustain her forever. I need to start planning for when that day comes and we have enough money to get by. Besides... Traveling the Dusk Sea is still a dream of mine, and there's treasure out there, somewhere. I'm sure of it.

I need to look out for Shallie. She's going to be the next chief. I can't just mess around.

...No, it's okay if you go.

What?

The Village will be fine. I'll definitely find something to do about it. That's why I want you to do what your heart tells you, Kortes.

I guess I don't have a say in this one...

I'm gonna get going... What about you?

Where're you going?

The Dusk Sea.

To each their own

Solle. Skills grow. Again.

Homuran, try this one too!

Escha. That name. Not. For skilled hunter... Nom nom.

What! Why is it okay when Shallie calls you Homhom, but I can't call you Homuran?

Reasons... Om nom nom.

Hello.

Mm... Something smells good!

Shallies! You two should try this! It's my special recipe.

These apples tarts... They smell so good!!

This is a specialty of your homeland, right? They look delicious!

I made these using apples from my family's orchard.

Don't you miss Colseit, Escha?

Yeah... I want to go home and eat apple tarts!

...That's not quite what I meant.

Escha. Tarts. More please.

Yep, coming!

We still have plenty of apples! Shallies, please, eat as much as you like!

Whoa! Do you have more at your shop?

Yes, but... I have to help Solle with some documents. I'll meet you soon!

Oh, Harry, hello. Why are you here?

I guess you could call it a celebrity gathering.

Celebrity... What?

Olson runs a global company that publishes books, and is still quite an agreeable fellow.

Ohh, Mr. Perriend, your deep knowledge of ancient history and noble character are quite the accomplishment!

Sounds like... You're getting along?

We're planning a cooperation between the Harry Company and Perriend Corporation, to spread information and goods!

I didn't think I'd make a business venture like this at my age, but this is a breath of fresh air.

I agree, that sense of adventure is just what's needed to overcome the Dusk!

Heh heh... You're both capable with business... Yet daring.

I've never seen Mr. Perriend smile before!

Stellard looks like it'll become even more prosperous.

Shallie, what happened with the water control device? Did you shut it down?

Um... Well, when we investigated it closer, it turned out the being that was controlling the device was the problem with it. We defeated the Controller, and Keith stabilized the device's function.

He said that eventually the device would stop, but there's still time to find a solution.

So the city's water supply will be safe?

For now, it seems.

I see... I guess that was the best possible outcome, given the circumstances.

A marvelous one, indeed!

Let's see... I'd like plenty of space for firm rooting. I want them to grow big enough for her to see...

I'm sure you'll find the perfect place.

I think so too...! You're thinking so much about those seeds, after all!

Thanks. You might laugh, but... I have the feeling these seeds have the power to hold back the Dusk...

I'll help look for a place to plant them!

I'll help too, of course!

...I'm sure if we all work together, we can find a good place...!

We didn't know if we should tell you... Uh...

No... Thanks to you, I can finally feel some closure. Without you two, I might've never learned the truth. I'd like to meet the other me's that Escha and Keithgriff know some day.

I'm sure you will! You just have to go to Colseit.

Yeah, you can just ask Mr. Perriend for a little break...

No, it would be strange to go visit them myself.

...Stylish?

Haha... Oh, wait, is that Keith and Odelia?

It is! Oh, Keith, Odelia... Are you going somewhere?

Yes, I'm done here.

No way... It's too soon!

I have an appointment to meet with someone. I'm behind schedule far enough as it is.

Master.

What?

That's not a big loss. I'll buy you something sweet later.

Okay...

Uh, you can have this if you want...

!... This is!

Solle made it.

Thank you... A delicate texture and flavor... With a feeling of love and care for the person eating it... The vanilla is nostalgic, and the cinnamon and orange are a perfect blend... This was a lovely experience. Thank you.

Hehe! You're pretty cute sometimes, Odelia.

Odelia, we're leaving.

Understood.

Thank you for helping me with alchemy... And seeing the truth.

Hahh... It's about time, Lotte.

Are you going to the harbor?

Yes. I don't really have any more business here in Stellard...

I...I see. Lemme go get everyone to say goodbye.

Raise the sails

Yeah, I feel the same way... But, after coming here and meeting you, and experiencing so much, I feel like a brand new person!

A new person, eh? I wonder if I've been able to move forward at all.

You have, for sure.

I hope so... You're going back to your village, right?

...Yeah. I know what I need to do, and what's the most important to me. So...

I see... Okay, I guess I have another dream...

Mmm...

Journeys beginning

No matter what, I'll make your dream come true, Flameu...

Heh, sounds like Escha has been pretty busy over there. If Marion wasn't keeping me so busy here, I'd go out and visit her sometime. Hm... The seeds Flameu gave her? Yeah, we need to finish her last request.

You're finally here.

Welcome back.

What was keeping you so busy? Me and Nio just finished investigating the sunken ruins.

Hm... Just cleaning up some past mistakes.

What does THAT mean?

Don't worry about it. Anyway, are you two ready to keep moving on? There's still a lot of work to be done.

Yeah!

Let's go!

Master, I believe we should tell them. It may be of interest, and we are at least two days from the nearest ruin.

Fine. But we'll keep walking.

A weave of memories

Music: Last Wanderlust

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 10, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Ah, the ending to each Atelier thread is heartwarming in some way, but this game in particular I thought had a much more satisfying conclusion than Meruru did. Much more of an impact. The endings should be posted within a day or so, depends on how hard I work.

Of course, I still have a lot more work behind the scenes, but that's just how things like this go.

Also, just one note for this update. The position of the final cutscene (the one with Logy, Ayesha, and Nio, etc.) is switched depending on which alchemist you pick. Lotte goes first if Stera is chosen, and the reverse.

Oh, and the ending video with all the cast from the Dusk Trilogy actually plays after you choose an ending, but I felt it was better served by being at the end of the regular updates.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 10, 2016

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that I'm going to miss these Atelier LP's from you, Sylphid but I guess that with the series moving over to PS4 I'm finally able to try them out for myself instead of watching someone else play them for me.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Just to be perfectly clear, I didn't say absolutely that I wouldn't do any more Atelier LPs. All I said was that unless future games in some way were really compelling or there's something about it that I believe would be a definite hook that would make for a good LP, I wouldn't do it. I don't see Sophie fulfilling those (admittedly arbitrary) requirements, but that's no reason future games couldn't.

Granted, we don't know anything about future Ateliers other than what Okamura has said about the next one, and going by this article, he could mean just about anything. In particular I'm looking forward to Nights of Azure, and that will probably be my next thread, just because it's so different from these games, it could be a breath of fresh air for me.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm sorry if you've already mentioned this but what is it with Sophie that doesn't tickle your fancy?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I can't really comment much on the game since I've seen so little of it. I just have a feeling about it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Sylphid posted:

I can't really comment much on the game since I've seen so little of it. I just have a feeling about it.
Ah, ok. That's fair enough.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So things have stopped getting worse for Stellard.

That's... really, it feels more like End Of Act 2 stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sylphid posted:

Just to be perfectly clear, I didn't say absolutely that I wouldn't do any more Atelier LPs. All I said was that unless future games in some way were really compelling or there's something about it that I believe would be a definite hook that would make for a good LP, I wouldn't do it. I don't see Sophie fulfilling those (admittedly arbitrary) requirements, but that's no reason future games couldn't.

Granted, we don't know anything about future Ateliers other than what Okamura has said about the next one, and going by this article, he could mean just about anything. In particular I'm looking forward to Nights of Azure, and that will probably be my next thread, just because it's so different from these games, it could be a breath of fresh air for me.

quote:

He added, “if Gust doesn’t release a new Atelier each year then we’d die, so we’ll surely have something this year!”

That's one way to drum up excitement, I guess.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The perils of small studio video game development.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Oh thank god, the seeds thing is correct. All the stuff that GameFAQs poster said were True Ending requirements are. Looks like I will only have to play this game 2 times to finish this LP!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXV: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - Homeward Bound

Music: Alchemist on a Ship -Epilogue-

Shallie.

Oh, Kortes.

I'm pretty tired of looking at the Dusk Sea.

Really? I feel like I'm seeing something completely different from when I first left the village... It feels a little sad and nostalgic...

It's probably because you've changed a lot, miss.

Teo...

The world itself doesn't change so easily, but the people witnessing it can change. If the world seems different, it's proof that you've changed.

...Is it a good change?

You'll only know for sure once we've gotten back to the village.

Yeah, you're right.

I agree with Kortes, Stellard is a great city.

Thank you, Teo, Kortes... But it's okay. I need to do the things that only I can do. That was my decision. I'm the chief's daughter... And I learned how important that is on this journey. I need to use this strength to keep the water of this village safe. I need to do everything I can.

Miss...

I wonder how the village is doing now...?

Yeah... I'm sure the village will changed for the better with you in charge.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVI: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - Taskmasters

Music: Humming in the Atelier -Epilogue-

Shal, are you done with the Synthesis?

Wha? Wait, Miruca! Just a little more!

You don't need to rush, you'll just end up messing it up.

Lotte... Watch you hand!

Ahhh!

Eeeek!

...See.

Shal's mom... Is it okay for you to be up?

Thanks to Shallie, Mr. Perriend, and you. The doctor said I'll be okay, as long as I don't strain myself.

I see...

Mom, we're really busy at the moment.

Oh my...

I told you, you don't need to rush.

Lotte, make sure you take your time.

Uhh, but there've been a lot more orders for our complicated alchemy...

Especially after Shallie came back.

I haven't really... Done anything...

Is your village okay?

Yes, lately they've been working with other settlements, and the distribution is stabilized, too. I came here because I thought I could learn more about the Dusk...

Oooh... But I didn't see your ship. That means...

Yes, Teo and Kortes went back to the village to help. I'm sure the village will be fine with them there. I'm happy living here with Shallie and her mother...

Uuuugh, this Synthesis is really hard...

It seems you have a bit of variation in your technique, Lotte. There's so much you can do!

Aahaha, really? It still doesn't seem like it does very well... But I'm really happy people in town are noticing our hard work.

...I'm surprised you're so serious about this.

I want to say that with pride, someday, too... EEEK! Lotte! Your hand!

Wwwaaah!!

Looks like you're starting again...

Hehehe... It must be hard to be popular in town...

I wish you'd tell Shal to calm down a bit...

Alright, time to try again!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVII: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - The Great Work

Ahem! Today marks the opening of the Stellard branch...

Hey, chief, you don't have to sound so tense!

Grumman, part of the city is on Central's... No, YOUR jurisdiction with this. I'd like to see your best efforts for the sake of the city.

I hope I can be of use to the people of this city... Also... The alchemists who will be assisting this branch would like to make their own announcements.

Solle. I am. Not. Alchemist!

Homura, please!

Ehehe... I'm Escha Malier, member of the Stellard branch. I hope i can help everyone out with anything they need. This is my new assignment, starting today...

Um... I'm Shallistera Argo. I'm happy to be here.

I'm Shallotte Elminus! I'll do whatever I can for this town!

Homura. Full-time employee. Be here awhile.

...I'm Miruca Crotze.

Hehehe! What a solid lineup!

Please hold your comments for later. As a member of this branch, I'll have you work as my second in command, Escha.

Whaaat! Then I won't be able to go back to Colseit, even when my dispatch period ends.

Are you trying to get out of it?

No way! I want to be able to eat apples in Colseit!

Solle. Paperwork. Done.

You didn't just duplicate it, did you?

Doubtful. Solle. Duplication. Too much work.

Homhom's work is always perfect!

You could learn from him, Shal.

Whaaat!

Miruca, you're such a fast learner! Your'e so helpful!

It's easy when you get used to it.

Shallie, I'm sorry, I know you just got back.

No problem, it's my job!

But it's kind of crazy how you came back to be an official all of a sudden.

The water distribution in Lugion Village seems like it's stabilized, so...

Hm... But aren't you supposed to become the next chief?

My father said it was okay if I did something like this. I'm still helping the village, but not directly...

So who's gonna be the next chief?

I'm not sure. I'm sure father will choose well. I came here because I thought I could find out more about the Dusk...

You showed up way faster than I expected! I was so surprised!

I don't mind if you two are talking, but make sure you're working, too...

Whaa! I'm sorry!

Shallie, I'll take care of those documents.

Thank you...!

I wasn't expecting this at all.

You didn't expect that!?

This is normal government official work. Next is...

Shallie! Reports of a rampaging Slag at a nearby water source!

Ahhh! That's bad! Let's go Stera!

Okay!

Wait! Both of you don't need to go! One should stay behind to do paperwork...

Sounds exciting. For treasure hunter.

Wait, not you too, Homura...!

Too late... They left.

Yeah, they're gone. I'm sure the three of them will do just fine.

Yes, I do feel like I'm helping everyone in the city.

Let's make Stellard the best city, together!

Yeah!!

Hey, Shallies.

What is it, Homura?

Make special goods. Of Stellard. Sweets.

Oooh, that sounds like a great idea! Maybe, Stellard Water Buns!

Mmm, we should take care of the work in front of us, first, okay?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVIII: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - Eternal Dream

What a cluttered hovel...

Huh?? Keith!? When did you come back?!

I'm just passing through. I'll be leaving again shortly... However... I came to give you this as a parting gift.

What's this...?

A recipe for medicine. I'm sure you'll be able to make use of it.

This... Isn't for my mom, is it??

Before you jump to conclusions, this isn't a cure... But it should help slow the progress. An excellent medicine maker invented it. You can count on it being effective.

Wait... Stera made this!?

...No.

Keith...!!

Ugh... You don't need to cry...

Ready? Don't fall!

Sorry, master! I know I'm always making trouble for you...

I'm getting paid, too, so it's a real job! We'll both work hard, right?

Of course!

Alright! Cool. It'll be pretty hard to find the materials for that recipe, so you should be ready for it.

Yeah! We'll gather the best quality materials around!

Make sure you're back by dinner!

Okaaaaay!

Right, we're off!

Be back later!

Take care!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXIX: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - My Fated Person

Music: Rusty Sky -Epilogue-

Hey, no spacing out while working!

Oh! Right...

Aren't you getting tired? You do nothing but work!

No! I'm happy when I see customers so satisfied with what I make...

Another noisy day... That reminds me, Escha was saying there was finally a regular route opening to Lugion Village.

What?! Starting today?

Hahh... If you're curious, you should go! I'll watch the cauldron for you.

I thought a certain old man would complain about giving up autonomy to Central...

I don't need to hear it from you, kiddo.

Raoul! Mr. Perriend!

Hey, alchemist! You're so late showing up I thought you'd passed out or something.

I wouldn't do that!

I heard unique, rare crops can be grown in Lugion. This trade route will definitely help us grow. Olson's work continues to inspire me. Shallie, you should go there and expand your own perspective.

Heh, I guess my dream of buying a ship before the route opened didn't happen...

Stera!

Hehe! I wanted to surprise you. I really wanted to see you...

Me too... I wanted to see you since you left! I missed you!

I wanted to see you more! I couldn't even sleep knowing I'd get to see you again so soon!

And I've been losing sleep this entire time!

Oh, Lotte, I got a request from Mr. Perriend... That was...

To investigate water sources in various spots around the Dusk Sea?

This environment is fragile and fleeting, and it's humanity's responsibility to preserve it.

Lotte, do you want to hear my wish?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 7, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
3 1/2 bloody years. That's how long it's taken me to reach this point. Three and a half years ago, I registered on SA largely to peruse the LP forum, and soon enough decided to start the Arland thread, which went down in infamy for me. Three long games that took me roughly a year to finish, against innumerable hazards as I realized LPing an entire trilogy of games nearly back to back was far more effort than I could have possibly imagined. I survived, but barely.

And here we are again, at another fork in the road. This time, I will admit, I was disappointed by the reception of this thread. I am truly grateful for everyone who reads this stuff. God knows I'm guilty of reading / watching threads and not commentating, but simply because I had nothing of interest to say or to ask. Unless you actually do these kinds of threads, text-heavy games that require a lot of gameplay and working on scripts for hours on end, making mistakes and checking them, adding something of interest to keep people interested / coming back, you have no idea how much effort it requires. Pouring over this stuff for hours on end, working on updates and editing 1700 screenshots (and taking all six games into account, maybe 5-7k screenshots in total, very likely more), it just really can't be explained how much work it is.

Taking all that into account, I believe I've made the right decision regarding future Atelier threads. I love these games, I really do. There's really no RPG series like it, and for that reason it's more than worth the time to check out. This thread convinced me the central problem, that I've already explained. These games are just too heavily reliant on customization and people playing the game how they like to really present a strong, cohesive whole that makes a good LP thread. At the same time, my own flaws as an LPer are evident. I've gotten better, at least I would like to believe so, but not so good that an Atelier thread is particularly compelling in my hands.

There's the (probable) obituary for my Atelier LPing career. It's been an unbelievable ride, but I do believe this is where I get off. Now, of course, I've got additional stupid poo poo to do, but I might as well complete this thread as I did all the others. For the record, the posting of Bonus Update 5 will mark the true end of the thread. As I've also said, this thread does not necessarily mean the end of me, SA, and Atelier, but I no longer feel any obligation to do a new Atelier on these forums just because it's a new Atelier, as was my attitude from Totori on.

Also, one more thing for the record, I make absolutely no claim I've shown absolutely everything in this game. I've never done that for any of my threads, and my justification for it is I like to leave something for people playing the game in the future to experience for themselves.

Once again, to everyone who has followed these threads from Rorona to tonight, I thank you dearly.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 14, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Honestly, thank you so much for showing both trilogies off. I caught the Arland saga late, and I tried to catch up where I could. I'm also pretty guilty of not posting enough so I'll apologise for that.

Screenshot LPs seem like so much work and you supplement them with the video and audio content, and even the artbook scans and composers comments. These were a treat to experience and I'll be sure to watch out for anything else you'll LP in the future. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Thanks for all your hard work with these LP's, Sylphid. I have to say that I didn't really "feel" this game as much as I did with the earlier games in the Arland and Dusk series, the plot and the characters just didn't feel as interesting this time around, but that's hardly your fault.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Thanks so much, Sylphid. For what it's worth, I really enjoyed all of these LPs, especially of the earlier ones which I will likely never play myself. It's been a great ride.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I'm so glad I got to read through your threads, and to post in the latter ones. You've done an amazing job of showing off the details of the games, from character interactions to the indepth gameplay of the alchemy system (which you also explained really well). I loved the padding you gave to the scenes in Escha and Logy and in Shallie, it really added to what we saw and I was actually a little disappointed playing Shallie myself because it felt a little lackluster compared to your LP, haha!

Thanks so much for introducing us all to these games, Sylphid.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
I must admit the Atelier series is a very peculiar RPG, but your dedication into expanding the story made all your LP worthwhile. Thank you for the great work, Sylphid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Thank you for showing these games off -- made me pick quitte a few of them up, and I quite enjoyed them.

• Locked thread