Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hyouka update: i just doubled over laughing at the scene in episode 9 where they eat whiskey chocolates and everyone hates them except chitanda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Watched Lain by recommendation of my buddy Livingtrope and it's pretty good.

I'll give Lain another try, then. I've bounced off the first episode three or four times at this point.

maybeflan posted:

Overloaded by moe.

There are significantly worse ways to go.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Took me a few days but I finished the Lupin special Sweet Lost Night ~Magic Lamp's Nightmare Premonition~

It started out really great! But as it went on it dragged and the villains were lame as hell and they tried to make the main villain sympathetic but it didn't go anywhere interesting.

The highlight was easily the opening heist, with Lupin and Zenigata constantly one-upping each other over and over.

Unfortunately Zenigata is written out of the movie for the most part, until after the ending credits. And even more unfortunately, Fujiko is used incredibly poorly in this special, to the point where I'd prefer not seeing her at all.

It's definitely not the worst Lupin thing out there, but a great first half followed by a mediocre second half isn't something that leaves the best taste in your mouth.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

School took a huge chunk out of my free time these past few weeks, but finally got around to finishing Time of Eve. It owned pretty hard and I'm glad I watched it. Still gathering my thoughts, cause there's a lot to unpack in terms of the show's ideas. I intitilally thought the series would be a cold, boring indie thing, but it turned out to have a lot of heart, subtlety and a sense of humor, too, and the spartan, eclectic sound design is wonderful. The theme for the cafe itself would normally feel out of place considering how minimal the rest of the music is, but it's like a refreshing blast of sound washing over me everytime I see that welcome sign, like you're really stepping into a happy, familiar, safe space to meet all your friends after a hard day.

Poor HORRIBLE PLAYBACK NOISE bot. You were too beautiful for this world. :smith:

Parallax posted:

King! King! King Gainer!

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Bodacious Space Pirates
3. Mononoke
4. Bubblegum Crisis
5. RahXephon

RahXephon, my man!

NEW LIST

1. Aquarion Evol
2. Texnolhyze
3. X TV
4. Basilisk
5. Giant Gorg

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tatami galaxy episode 4 was cool...

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

My thoughts on the fourth episode of Katanagatari:

*nervous laughter*

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That bait and switch still amuses me, especially since people like to use that battle in AMVs, fooling me even more when I first watched episode 4.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Usually you see something like that where the bait and switch is something mundane, so missing out on the cool thing is a tease. This, though, was so tense that just cutting to the afterwards as a joke is such a relief

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I really, really like Katanagatari.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Pink trench coat guy is the best character in Giant Robo and I wish he had his own show

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

boom boom boom posted:

Pink trench coat guy is the best character in Giant Robo and I wish he had his own show
You ain't seen nothing yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pootybutt posted:

School took a huge chunk out of my free time these past few weeks, but finally got around to finishing Time of Eve. It owned pretty hard and I'm glad I watched it. Still gathering my thoughts, cause there's a lot to unpack in terms of the show's ideas. I intitilally thought the series would be a cold, boring indie thing, but it turned out to have a lot of heart, subtlety and a sense of humor, too, and the spartan, eclectic sound design is wonderful. The theme for the cafe itself would normally feel out of place considering how minimal the rest of the music is, but it's like a refreshing blast of sound washing over me everytime I see that welcome sign, like you're really stepping into a happy, familiar, safe space to meet all your friends after a hard day.

Poor HORRIBLE PLAYBACK NOISE bot. You were too beautiful for this world. :smith:

RahXephon, my man!

NEW LIST

1. Aquarion Evol
2. Texnolhyze
3. X TV
4. Basilisk
5. Giant Gorg

I've barely started Birdy but I really want to make someone watch X TV so here's another list

Princess Tutu
Combattler V
Devilman TV
Whichever Digimon series Chiaki J Konaka did
Rose of Versailles

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Man, looking through folks' lists has reminded me of several shows that I've long meant to watch. My list when I report back after Macross Plus is going to be bigger.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
Alright, so I've watched five episodes of Toradora. It's as feel-good as it gets with silly humorous scenes and then some.
I'll continue watching this to see how things end up aside from Ryuji and Taiga of course.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've barely started Birdy but I really want to make someone watch X TV so here's another list

Princess Tutu
Combattler V
Devilman TV
Whichever Digimon series Chiaki J Konaka did
Rose of Versailles

That'd be Digimon Tamers. :eng101:
Considering lots of these seem to be fairly lengthy shows, I'd say Princess Tutu

One last list for a while since it's starting to build up...

1) Bubblegum Crisis
2) The Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV
3) Paranoia Agent
4) Le Chevalier d'Eon
5) Planetes

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
I've finished my mandatory 5 episodes of And Yet the Town Moves and it's pretty great so far! Thanks for forcing me to watch it, AnoHito.
  • I knew that the opening was great, but it turns out the ending is too.
  • All of the notable characters so far are a lot of fun, except Toshiko is kind of uninteresting. I'm hopeful she'll get more of a chance to shine later.
  • I'm surprised (though not disappointed) by how the maid café stuff has faded into the background, considering its prominence in the first episode and the opening and ending.
  • Arashiyama's brother's date in the second half of episode 5 was adorable.
Definitely will watch the rest.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

Took me a few days but I finished the Lupin special Sweet Lost Night ~Magic Lamp's Nightmare Premonition~

It started out really great! But as it went on it dragged and the villains were lame as hell and they tried to make the main villain sympathetic but it didn't go anywhere interesting.

The highlight was easily the opening heist, with Lupin and Zenigata constantly one-upping each other over and over.

Unfortunately Zenigata is written out of the movie for the most part, until after the ending credits. And even more unfortunately, Fujiko is used incredibly poorly in this special, to the point where I'd prefer not seeing her at all.

It's definitely not the worst Lupin thing out there, but a great first half followed by a mediocre second half isn't something that leaves the best taste in your mouth.

im sorry i hosed up

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nobody could've predicted it...that the ~ would lead Srice astray...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

im sorry i hosed up

No worries I have no regrets!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the tilde faction claims full credit for a great start and blames others for the rest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched one episode of Mushishi and it's still good. To clarify I watched like 6 episodes of the new season and stopped while it was airing so I'm gonna finish it as I have time. Hard show to really marathon though, since each episode is so self contained

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I feel like episode 4 of Otome Youkai Zakuro was made specifically for me. The focus on the best pair, the super cute store owner team, etc

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

I feel like episode 4 of Otome Youkai Zakuro was made specifically for me. The focus on the best pair, the super cute store owner team, etc

Suggesting that you watch OYZ inspired me to finally re-watch it as well and one very annoying thing i learned is that 95% of the gifs or screenshots are from the OP or the first three episodes! I mean, what the hell; there's some great scenes and shots throughout the series. Just 'cause it came out during that '10-'11 stretch of insanely good shows doesn't mean it should be overlooked so drat hard. :mad:

E: so many nice colors in this show.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 30, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

gifcam is your friend. make some gifs and share them!!!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Oh you already did in the gif thread. It looks interesting, might have to watch it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, yeah. Those are all pretty nice, but they're actually what I'm whining about since they're almost entirely from the earliest episodes.

I will indeed have to gifcam some new ones; I'll just have to learn to reign myself in a bit and not make them too huge.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Shirobako episode 4: drunk Zuka is the best.:cheers:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

X TV ep 2:

hahahahahahaha hahaha

A couple eps in, the best thing I can say about X at this point is I'd probably be way into it if it was on toonami in the 90's.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

And now I've finished 5 6 7 episodes of Otome Youkai Zakuro. It's hard to say much about the show, which is just a solid rom-com with fun characters. The action aspects, so far, are probably the weakest point but also show up sparingly. I really like all the songs though, between the...3+? EDs, OP, and the insert song (which has a Hozuki/Bonbori-only version, even!). It's not the kind of show that gives me a desire to burn through as many episodes as possible, but I'll definitely keep watching one or two when the mood strikes.

maybeflan posted:

One last list for a while since it's starting to build up...

1) Bubblegum Crisis
2) The Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV
3) Paranoia Agent
4) Le Chevalier d'Eon
5) Planetes

Paranoia Agent. It's the only of the five I've finished to be able to fully judge. :sweatdrop:

1. The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
2. NieA Under 7
3. Godannar
4. Otome Youkai Zakuro
5. Hellsing Ultimate
6. Noein
7. Shiki

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I finished Hyouka. It was good, its ambitions were a little too small for my liking and it's very clearly a passion project, but it was really nice to watch. I like how they established the characters and then flipped the script on them in the movie and school festival arcs. Again the mysteries were good and enough narrative information was withheld to generally keep me interested and watching and the mundane nature of most of them allowed for good character interaction and development. Also it has a really keen sense of humor. But nothing really elevates it above being merely good. I definitely don't regret the time I spent watching it and I'd watch a second season if they ever did one, but I can't really see myself rewatching it.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 31, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

And now I've finished 5 6 7 episodes of Otome Youkai Zakuro. It's hard to say much about the show, which is just a solid rom-com with fun characters. The action aspects, so far, are probably the weakest point but also show up sparingly. I really like all the songs though, between the...3+? EDs, OP, and the insert song (which has a Hozuki/Bonbori-only version, even!). It's not the kind of show that gives me a desire to burn through as many episodes as possible, but I'll definitely keep watching one or two when the mood strikes.

Paranoia Agent. It's the only of the five I've finished to be able to fully judge. :sweatdrop:

1. The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
2. NieA Under 7
3. Godannar
4. Otome Youkai Zakuro
5. Hellsing Ultimate
6. Noein
7. Shiki

The only one of those I've seen is Godannar, which I wasn't crazy about, but I have seen Haibane Renmei and Lain, and those owned, so you gotta watch NieA Under 7

Yozakura Quartet
Cross Ange
Code Geass Agito of Exile
Flag
Ai Tenchi Muyo

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

The only one of those I've seen is Godannar, which I wasn't crazy about, but I have seen Haibane Renmei and Lain, and those owned, so you gotta watch NieA Under 7

Yozakura Quartet
Cross Ange
Code Geass Agito of Exile
Flag
Ai Tenchi Muyo

Let's go with Flag since that's one I've been meaning to check out as well.

Chihayafuru
Mawaru Penguindrum
Hyouka
Mononoke
Haibane Renmei

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Mad Science posted:

Let's go with Flag since that's one I've been meaning to check out as well.

Chihayafuru
Mawaru Penguindrum
Hyouka
Mononoke
Haibane Renmei

Guess who's gonna watch Hyouka? (it's you)

1. Lupin the Third Part 2
2. Paranoia Agent
3. My love story
4. Big O
5. Tatami Galaxy

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Guess who's gonna watch Hyouka? (it's you)

1. Lupin the Third Part 2
2. Paranoia Agent
3. My love story
4. Big O
5. Tatami Galaxy

Tatami Galaxy is a fantastic show; I believe you'll really enjoy it. I finished watching Steins;Gate and thought it is definitely the best out of the other shows I watched this week (Baccano! & Kaiba). It had great character development, a great loving storyline and an ending that didn't feel disappointing. Really recommend others to check it out.

1. Moribito
2. Gungrave
3. Kino's Journey
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Noein #5 down. It's a pretty drat good series. Everything little event thus far has just that little touch of gravitas.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

Tatami Galaxy is a fantastic show; I believe you'll really enjoy it. I finished watching Steins;Gate and thought it is definitely the best out of the other shows I watched this week (Baccano! & Kaiba). It had great character development, a great loving storyline and an ending that didn't feel disappointing. Really recommend others to check it out.

1. Moribito
2. Gungrave
3. Kino's Journey
4. Castle in the Sky
5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

you should watch castle in the sky

1. school rumble
2. non non biyori
3. your lie in april
4. bakemonogatari
5. toradora

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dailydares posted:

you should watch castle in the sky

1. school rumble
2. non non biyori
3. your lie in april
4. bakemonogatari
5. toradora

Gonna say School Rumble for a contrast to Hyouka.

Let's see...

1. Giant Robo
2. Symphogear
3. Tatami Galaxy
4. Serei no Moribito
5. Michiko & Hatchin

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

X TV is very very CLAMP. It's hard to know what to say cause 8 episodes in, it's still mostly setup and character introductions for when poo poo between the Seven Seals and the other guys goes down. It reminds me of Fate/Zero in a lot of ways. Tons of characters and interrelated drama/spiritualism/family problems, takes itself very seriously, really really likes slow pans and shots of endless flowers and/or feathers. There's a mythic pomposity to this show I find compelling, so I'll probably keep it up.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Fangz posted:

School Rumble 5 episode report:

I do think that this is in good contrast to Hyouka because it is completely relentless--lots of energy. I don't speak Japanese so there are jokes that I'm missing out on I'm sure but it really recalls to me an American show like 30 Rock or something where everything that can be turned into a joke is, and it's really densely packed. It's obviously not structured similarly to anything like that (I'm presuming the structure of the anime mirrors the structure of the manga) and the three disconnected segments make it easy to watch but again make it a hard show to marathon because there's no real narrative thrust to it. The romantic elements are nice and it seems so far like the characters aren't really going to develop much past how they've been established because they are more or less treated as ciphers for jokes, which is fine, and calls to mind the better Rumiko Takahashi series. And I appreciate the post-modern flourishes that they throw in. The animation is good but shows from the early 2000s are starting to show their age. The voice acting is also good, and I've heard the dub is just as good so I will watch some of that too.

Despite all this I can't help but find the subtext of the show remarkably sad because it's about people failing to communicate their feelings to one another

GreatPhoenix
Nov 9, 2004

Woah, you just wrinkled my brain!

Fangz posted:

Let's see...

1. Giant Robo
2. Symphogear
3. Tatami Galaxy
4. Serei no Moribito
5. Michiko & Hatchin

Go ahead and watch you some Symphogear, my man :thumbsup:

As for my list...
1. Knights of Sidonia (new on Netflix, most of their originals have been pretty awesome)
2. K
3. Psycho-Pass
4. Deadman Wonderland
5. Sword Art Online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GreatPhoenix posted:

Go ahead and watch you some Symphogear, my man :thumbsup:

As for my list...
1. Knights of Sidonia (new on Netflix, most of their originals have been pretty awesome)
2. K
3. Psycho-Pass
4. Deadman Wonderland
5. Sword Art Online

Deadman Wonderland because I liked the manga version.

1) Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
2) Excel Saga
3) Space Dandy
4) Cowboy Bebop
5) Mushishi

• Locked thread