Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Watch Escaflowne! It's weirdly paced and Hitomi starts off as a horrible cliché shoujo romance protagonist, but the mecha design and fight scenes and setting/premise are cool, it has a great soundtrack (Yoko Kanno!!!) and it was hugely popular in Europe.

My list:

1. Dennou Coil
2. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Real Dive
4. Terror in Resonance
5. Hyouka

I'm torn a bit on this, but I have to make you watch Hyouka. Enjoy!

My list of things that I still need to watch. I can never decide, so this thread is perfect.

1. Gatchaman CROWDS
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Mushishi
4. Shokugeki no Souma
5. Baccano!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'd be interested in your reasoning!

Also, I've started watching the first episode and holy poo poo, this is pretty. I'd seen some gifs and been told it's very well animated, but you kind of have to see the actual show to realise just how well. :stare:

I hope it doesn't take Bored Kid and Purple Eyes 21 episodes to realise they love each other, though.

First of all it's gorgeous, as you've realized. The soundtrack is wonderful as well. Besides that, I'm a sucker for mystery genre stuff and that's really what the series is all about!

Please don't expect it to become a romance, because while that theme subtly underlies the whole thing, it's not what makes the series good IMO. I just really enjoyed the detective-ing, the character development, and the way that the composition of every scene sets the mood better than most movies.

The reason I was torn on it is that Lain and Dennou Coil are also series that I love, so watch those when you get a chance!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

In Training posted:

This is a good list but I'd say Baccano! is the way to go.

Cool, thanks! I should be able to watch a bunch today, and I'll post my impressions after.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I watched Baccano! episode 1 first subbed and then dubbed. I'll be watching the rest dubbed because they did a kickass job, right down to the NYC accents.

My general impression so far is that this show is loving awesome, and I'm gonna binge as much of it as I can today in between real-life obligations.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hyouka episode 3 update: where did KyoAni even find the budget to make this? Also, I love the character dynamics and the show is genuinely funny

I think K-ON! made more stacks of cash than KyoAni knew what to do with, and as a result Hyouka and Nichijou both had amazingly high production value. Glad you're enjoying it!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I've finished my court-mandated five episodes of Baccano!, and it's fantastic! I'll certainly be watching the rest over the next few days. I went into the series pretty much blind. I didn't even know it was set in the states, much less that it was going to be in a fairly period-accurate Prohibition Era America. After the first episode, I couldn't get over the strangeness of listening to American characters speaking Japanese in 1930's America, so I did something crazy and tried out the dub. I was pleasantly surprised with the great English VA work and translation, so dubbed is how I'm watching this craziness.

The structure of not only jumping between characters but jumping between times really suits this kind of story. Very reminiscent of Pulp Fiction, or Snatch to a certain extent, though Baccano! does more of the timeline tomfoolery than either of those movies. I love that even by the end of the first episode, the viewer can understand, "I'm having a bunch of puzzle pieces thrown at me that will fit together and make sense eventually, so I just have to pay attention and enjoy." The opening scene with Carol and scary newpaper-magnate-dude lays it out pretty clearly for you now that I think about it. Having the OP contain the characters' names and a few blurbs of what happened in the last episode was a good decision and helped me to not get too confused.

Every episode has been a nice mix of drama, character introduction, comedy, and creepy supernatural poo poo, all of which help nudge the plot towards wherever it's going at a good pace. There's pretty much zero downtime, and I like that a lot. This series would have driven me nuts to watch as it aired, because every episode has a great cliffhanger at the end, especially episode 5 which I just watched. I thought that I had a handle on all of the supernatural stuff going on, but then the oldest dude in the world sucked the poor other old dude into his hand and HOLY poo poo the Rail Tracer is real and it's loving TERRIFYING :kingsley: :wtf:! Highly enjoying it, so thanks to In Training for the pick.

While I'm going to finish this series before I start another, I have now fulfilled the OP rules requirements and will strategically wait to use my next Watch Order until I see a list that I like.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hyouka, episode 5: the show continues to be insanely pretty and the characters continue to be compelling, but I'm disappointed that Chitanda's mystery was solved so fast. I was hoping the show would secretly turn out to be about the Japanese left in the 1960s. :v:

I felt the same way when that case was closed, but there are more awesome mysteries coming up including some good surprises. Episodes 6 and 7 are relatively boring, though they are still pretty and contain some interesting peeks into the characters' heads. The next solid mystery arc starts with episode 8, and it might be my favorite. KyoAni is so drat good at animating stuff to look like amateur video camera footage.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

In Training posted:

The culture festival arc in Hyouka is a thing of beauty. Also I don't know how or where you are watching Baccano, just know that there were some DVD-only extra episodes that exist that may or may not have been dubbed. Only ever watched the sub so I don't know if those were JP only specials.

I can confirm that the extra 3 episodes were dubbed and I will be watching those as well.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Honestly, I'm watching this for the character interaction/development rather than the mysteries themselves, although I didn't expect that mystery to end up being actually interesting. I'd be happy just watching their daily lives with that kind of an animation budget.

Awesome, then the more stand-alone episodes won't be at all disappointing for you. Not that they were for me, but when I think back on the series it's the larger-scale mysteries that I remember the most.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anyway, thanks to Mentat Radnor for making me watch Hyouka. It's really good and everyone else should watch it too.

I'm super glad that you enjoyed it! I had the same frustrations as you when it ended, but it was drat well worth watching. If you end up posting another list, I hope someone tells you to watch Serial Experiments Lain next.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

AnoHito posted:

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Fate/Zero
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka

Please watch Serial Experiments Lain.

My updated list:

1. Gatchaman CROWDS
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Mushishi
4. Shokugeki no Soma
5. Spice and Wolf
6. Love Live! School Idol Project

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Van Dine posted:

Please watch Haibane Renmei.

I watched the first two episodes and this seems really promising so far. I love the art style and the setting. It's giving me the same feeling as Kino's Journey, in the sense that while nothing is inherently wrong, it's still unsettling. I kind of hope that it doesn't do what Kino's Journey did and leave me both numb and horrified after the last two episodes, but then again that's what made it so powerful.

Thanks for the pick, I'll certainly be watching the rest of it over the next couple days.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I finally finished Haibane Renmei today. What a strange, emotionally moving, bittersweet ride this show was. I would highly recommend it. It's a really impressive piece of worldbuilding, even though most of the big questions that the viewer has about this place are left as a mystery.

The last two episodes made me cry. Really cared about the characters by the end, and I hope Rakka has a long and happy life as a Haibane. The animation got fairly budget at some points, but the visual style as a whole is very pretty and unique. The subdued color pallette, along with the deceptively laid-back atmosphere in the earlier episodes, really reminded me of Kino's Journey, and I liked this show just as much or maybe more. With that said . . .

Quest For Glory II posted:

Since I didn't give a recommendation last time, i didn't get one for my list, but that's okay because I've been watching them all anyway. Well the first episode of them.

My Love Story

Death Parade

Parasyte

Rideback

Shirobako

Snow White with the Red Hair

Yona of the Dawn

Terror in Resonance

Barakamon - CUTE AS gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please watch five more episodes of Barakamon because it is indeed cute as gently caress, and very heartwarming and funny as well. It was hard to pick this over Shirobako, but I did anyway.

My list:

Mushishi
Spice and Wolf
Punchline
Patlabor (your choice of TV, OVA, movie)
Tamako Market
Yuru Yuri

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Baccano, with the stipulation that you skip episode 1. It's not that good and it spoils a lot, so it's best watched after 13.

I watched it in order, and I don't remember the first episode spoiling anything. When I saw the last episode, then I was able to appreciate some scenes in the first episode and see some character interactions in an entirely new light, but the scenes in ep 1 are meaningless without the context of having seen the next twelve episodes. Great show in any case.

Edit - fixed.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 15, 2015

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I finally got around to watching my assigned Mushishi and it's amazing. I ended up watching the first seven episodes in one sitting and would have continued if I had the time. It's relaxing, trippy, philosophical, and slightly creepy all at the same time, which strikes me as a very impressive feat. The sound directing and musical score are especially good. I'm not going to post another list until I watch every episode of Mushishi because drat I love it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

My last required watching from this thread was Mushishi, which is now one of my favorite things. I'm almost done with the second season so I need something new to watch!

Julias posted:

Watched the first couple of episodes of Zegapain, and while I liked the non-mech parts, the mech parts were boring as all hell. Nearly fell asleep in the first episode. Will stick with it, but I want something else to wash it down with.

Basquash!
Sound! Euphonium
Madoka Magica
Kyousou Giga
Osomatsu

I haven't seen Basquash, but the other four on your list are all great. That being said, please watch my favorite of that selection, Kyousougiga.

My list:

Haikyuu!!
Spice and Wolf
Love Live: School Idol Project
The Tatami Galaxy
Amagi Brilliant Park
Giant Robo

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

AnoHito posted:

Will do! I'll be walking into this about as blindly as humanly possible too which is always good in my experience.

It's a good one to walk into blind, although I would recommend making sure you have the time to watch the first three episodes in a row. They are a bundle, and kinda set apart from the rest of the show. I don't want to spoil it, but you'll see what I mean. drat I love that show.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Cool, I've been meaning to find time to watch it so I can read the manga. :3:

That show convinced me to start reading the manga, both are good.

I'm about to start episode three of Spice and Wolf, liking the atmosphere and characters so far. I always enjoy traveling/adventure stuff (Slayers, Kino's Journey, Mushishi, etc.) so this was a good pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm finding your Chihayafuru posts very entertaining Pavlov, please keep us updated with more now that the three-episode intro flashback is over and the show actually starts.

Spice and Wolf continues to be pleasant, so I'm going to finish it before I post my thoughts and another list.

• Locked thread