Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I played the original HL2 mod version of this game and thought it was great, but I've had exclusively lovely laptops since then so I haven't seen the updated version at all. Already there's a lot of extra detail, although we presumably won't see things getting really different until we start going against the narrator properly.

Donnerberg posted:

Sounds like you came at it from the wrong angle. Think of it as a puzzle game where the puzzle is finding new ways to make the British voice in your head say funny things.

It's valid to look at it as something deeper, like you did, but that's not nearly as entertaining.
It can also be thought of as Monty Python's Debugging: The Game in that the player is being challenged to outthink the limits of the game's mechanics. The 'broken window' scene is a good example of this.

The game's 'ironic' approach is slightly negated however by the fact that many people navigate game worlds in a counter-intuitive manner, in order to locate secrets hidden by the developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

It's very difficult to LP a game like this, for the reasons offered above - a lot of the fun comes from the experience of trying things yourselves for the first time. But! I still think this style is worth sticking with. I appreciate you keeping track of the different routes, and I really don't think having multiple players would work at all, as that would inevitably drown out the narration that is the main hook of the game. One thing I would suggest is editing out content we've already seen from successive runs, so in this run we could have jumped straight to the office, then to the TV room, then to the switch. I suppose the next step is to try following the 'Escape!' sign.

There is something meta about just watching Stanley rather than actually playing, but we can discuss that later on maybe.

How much is there in the demo that's different? It makes more sense to me to focus on the game itself and maybe cover the demo later on, especially if the differences are fairly minor.

• Locked thread