Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Kuai posted:

Blade & Soul : The Rising Thunder of MMOs

I haven't really played too many fighting games in recent years. I guess there's just something about internet connectivity and a genre where people are counting the number of invulnerability frames each move has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
Has NCsoft released a good mmo, ever? Guild Wars was Arenanet, I'm talking about their own developers. This is going to be a bad game. I understand that their games are well-recieved in Korea but they never work over here. No korean MMO ever has and this one is going to join the rest. The korean version is still plagued by hacks.

I"m no veteran though, the ping from NA made playing this very frustrating. Combat was different from other mmos so it was a good time for a while. I'll be playing this at launch because I'm an idiot and I'm sure having some goons around will be good. Lyn Blademasters have a block 5 attacks ability which was useful for bad ms if anyone is worried about having comcast. They also get a couple stuns and a 4 second grab.

Khako fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 21, 2015

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Don't focus on whether the game will be popular in NA.

Focus instead on the fact that the kung fu master can headbutt people.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Khako posted:

Has NCsoft released a good mmo, ever? Guild Wars was Arenanet, I'm talking about their own developers. This is going to be a bad game. I understand that their games are well-recieved in Korea but they never work over here. No korean MMO ever has and this one is going to join the rest. The korean version is still plagued by hacks.

I"m no veteran though, the ping from NA made playing this very frustrating. Combat was different from other mmos so it was a good time for a while. I'll be playing this at launch because I'm an idiot and I'm sure having some goons around will be good. Lyn Blademasters have a block 5 attacks ability which was useful for bad ms if anyone is worried about having comcast. They also get a couple stuns and a 4 second grab.

The game doesn't need AAA popularity for it to be stable and playable though. As long as they don't fragment the playerbase too much (and I think there's some cross-server tech with dungeons and pvp anyway?) it should be fine. I mean look at Tera, it's done fairly well for itself for the time it's been around, especially after it went F2P. The fact that this one is starting out F2P should make it easier for people to come and go as well, and it's got pretty solid pvp that might keep some people around even if they don't care for the pve.

I guess my point is that, while I certainly don't think this game is going to be anything revolutionary, I'd really hesitate to call it straight out "bad" at this point at least, especially on the merits of how many people might play it. We haven't even had a chance to see what all they've done with this version yet. As long as there's a moderate amount of people playing such that you don't have ridiculous queues for dungeons or pvp battles, I think it will work out OK.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The combat of this game looks fun but uhm...I don't know how I feel about the female models. Is it possible to look like a real person and not just legs and thighs?

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Eimi posted:

The combat of this game looks fun but uhm...I don't know how I feel about the female models. Is it possible to look like a real person and not just legs and thighs?

You can play as a small rat girl if sexualized women trigger you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

Character creator lets you customize just about everything from the characters with sliders including legs thighs and asses so be the girl you want to be. If the clothing triggers you too much you can probably mod the chinese textures into the game so suits have less skin and more latex.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Character creator lets you customize just about everything from the characters with sliders including legs thighs and asses so be the girl you want to be. If the clothing triggers you too much you can probably mod the chinese textures into the game so suits have less skin and more latex.

Eh the clothing isn't as bad as the bodies, it looks kinda standard Chinese dresses and stuff you'd expect from a Korean Wuxia mmo. I'd prefer an outfit that looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFH6lXJ6c4k but I'll make do and just hope that char creator is robust. Speaking of Crouching Tiger, is that video basically blademaster?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 22, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I only played normal swordmaster to 15 and found them kinda boring, I played the Lyn variant till like 40 and can tell you that you never stop spinning.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm more interested in how Force Masters play. Because the idea of being a buff muscle wizard is the best thing ever and it's going to be the first thing I do. I've been debating on whether I'll wait out the NA release or give the Russian version a try that people have mentioned.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd be most interested in Blade master or Kung Fu master just because drat it most Wuxia thing. Kung Fu master better go ATATATATATATATA. :colbert:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

where's the beggar drunken master class

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Eimi posted:

Eh the clothing isn't as bad as the bodies, it looks kinda standard Chinese dresses and stuff you'd expect from a Korean Wuxia mmo. I'd prefer an outfit that looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFH6lXJ6c4k but I'll make do and just hope that char creator is robust. Speaking of Crouching Tiger, is that video basically blademaster?

Looks like they're giving a different class the spotlight each week starting with the blade master on the main site. Here's the overview video posted yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPNV1eNXbE

Unfortunately all of my experience with the game has been on the Russian server which is woefully out of date.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Everyman posted:

Looks like they're giving a different class the spotlight each week starting with the blade master on the main site. Here's the overview video posted yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPNV1eNXbE

Unfortunately all of my experience with the game has been on the Russian server which is woefully out of date.

Looks pretty cool to me. Controlling swords with your mind is a plus. Also love how small the hot bar is.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 22, 2015

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Yeah, I really dug the hotbar size and the use of contextual skills bound to the same keys. Its an interesting approach to the skill bloat usually plaguing MMOs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Eimi posted:

I'd be most interested in Blade master or Kung Fu master just because drat it most Wuxia thing. Kung Fu master better go ATATATATATATATA. :colbert:

Kung Fu master is not ATATATATATATATA, it is grapples, counters, and combos leading to grapples.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

:stare:

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
I just watched the video they had on twitch about the founder's packs. That names are unique to a region, across all servers in either the US or EU is odd. That and the costumes aren't per character, you have to mail them around. If only the cowboy outfit had more poncho.

I really want to play a Destroyer and a Summoner now. Blade & Soul looks unusual in how you can pick up people and toss them around, especially into other people. I'm used to games where anything worth knocking down or freezing is immune to status effects.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Kung Fu master is not ATATATATATATATA, it is grapples, counters, and combos leading to grapples.

That sounds disappointing. I want to do like pressure points and one inch death punches and to be able to be like "You are already dead."

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
You do get a skill called Pressure Point, at least. :v:

There's plenty of flashy, flurry of attacks style gameplay with KFM, but that can be said about every class though.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
NCSoft hosted a stream of the NA version showing off the intro area and gameplay to about level 7. Contains spoilers for the first few areas and the opening segments of the plot for those who care about that:

http://www.twitch.tv/bajheera/v/17428028

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Does this game have shifus?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jackard posted:

spoilers

your shifu dies during the tutorial area

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
N-no :negative:

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Jackard posted:

Does the game have sempai, and will he notice me?

Do the foreign versions of the game have the premium point systems? I'm curious as to what exactly having that active will do.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Orabilis posted:

Does the game have sempai, and will he notice me?

spoilers
Your senpai dies on the second, class specific tutorial chain. Its optional but you learn a lot about how your class works. Then your senpai notices you and gives you a key you use to open a chest that contains a set of his uniform and other goodies

Ours is the foreign version.

I think they explained it as tier system, once you cross a certain threshold you get more benefits for your account. Things like bonus quest gold and extra sprinting.

e-B&S is a story about boobs, butts and revenge

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 26, 2015

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
They haven't spelled out what the premium points will do exactly for the NA version, but in other regions higher tiers grant increasing amounts of bonus exp and gold from quests, reduced costs for equipment upgrades, and reduced cast/cooldown on teleports/fast travel. Probably a couple other things in there I'm missing.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

This game is going to be the best (because of goons) and the worst (because it's bad, and goons). I cannot wait to see how many perfect princesses and really 10000 year old fox girls get angry at my Nigel Thornberry.

Also there are 3 boob sliders, 2 butt sliders, and 2 body oil sliders.

Lant fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 27, 2015

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Lant posted:

This game is going to be the best (because of goons) and the worst (because it's bad, and goons). I cannot wait to see how many perfect princesses and really 10000 year old fox girls get angry at my Nigel Thornberry.

Also there are 3 boob sliders, 2 butt sliders, and 2 body oil sliders.

Is their oil sliders for men?

if so, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3oMkNvQrI

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Yes.

Yes there is.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Everybody can get oiled up, Blade and Soul does not discriminate against men who want to get oiled up and wrestle with each other.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
any p2w aspects? definitely keeping an eye on this and moonlight blade

movement in mmos done right, no boring mount or walking around

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

Does Moonlight Blade even have an English localization or plans for one?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

As far as I know they've mentioned that they wont be introducing any stat items in the shop. It'll be costumes, exp pots, more character slots, more inventory, stuff like that

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
I think China is the only region where the game is p2w, and there's been mention of sticking to the Korean/Taiwanese models which are pretty reasonable like Cao Ni Ma said.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Are the betas for this game like one long continuous thing with a wipe towards the end, or like a bunch of seperate weekends with wipes in between?

Also is it poo poo?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Orabilis posted:

Does Moonlight Blade even have an English localization or plans for one?

They have plans for it but that is at the most optimistic like 2 years out.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

SweetBro posted:

Are the betas for this game like one long continuous thing with a wipe towards the end, or like a bunch of seperate weekends with wipes in between?

Also is it poo poo?

Here's the schedule, dunno if there will be wipes in between, will at the end:

Weekend 1: Oct 30–Nov 2 [English only]
Weekend 2: Nov 13–16 [English only]
Weekend 3: Nov 24–30 [English, French, German]
Weekend 4: Dec 11–14 [English, French, German]
Weekend 5: Dec 18–21 [English, French, German]

Also, game is pretty fun from what I've played of it (like 25 levels of china version). Dunno what the endgame is like though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been trying out the Taiwanese version of the game with a friend (with a partially complete English patch) and in the shop there are a lot of upgrade materials for evolving your weapons/items, cosmetic stuff and boosters. The combat in the game, despite being laggy as heck because of my ping, is real fun. The MMO shell around it is typical WoW junk, though. The main attraction for the game will probably be the arena and PvP. The weapon design is very elaborate for the most part and the outfit designs, if you ask me, are kind of dumb with an occasional descent looking one every now and then. I don't think the game will set the world on fire or anything but the combat is pretty rad and very different from typical MMOs, even ones that are more action oriented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I've actually been trying this game out on the Taiwanese server too, playing with a friend. I've tried out all the classes and decided assassin was the most fun for me. We've got to 20 and even ran the first dungeon which was nothing too special. Bosses do a few telegraph leap attacks, some telegraph stuns, and slow non telegraph attacks that let you use your counter/block easily. There isn't really a tank class at this level as I kept pulling aggro on the assassin. One major issue about grouping is that you can't queue for a dungeon and do other stuff, you're automatically dropped into a secondary screen where you have to sit there and wait for a group. Also loot that dropped are bid by the group and the highest bid wins, and the other 5 members of the group will get a share of the winning bid. Combat is great, its like a mix of Tera's free form targeting with FF14's orange telegraph/tab system. You still need to mouse over the target to lock on but once you've locked on all your attacks will connect. Questing is the standard kill monsters/bad people or collect stuff and return to NPC. All the NPCs seem to be bumbling idiots or stupidly incompetent and you really don't feel like helping anyone. If you liked Tera, the game will feel really familiar to you.

That is my review of the game so far after playing for a few days. I'll try some PvP later if I can queue into it at this level. After that I'll just wait for the English version to come out to play it with better ping and not spoil too much of the story.

• Locked thread