Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Good times beating up blue dudes. I'm a little confused about how to use the hongmoon store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Made a clan for all you reds playing the alpha. Send a message to Quiz for an invite.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Its been interesting. Tried the Lyn Bladedancer, part whirlwind, part Sith Lord.

I really want to try the Destroyer next.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Open PvP is pretty fun. And Assassin and bladedancer are both pretty good.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Ya I liked the open world PVP. I'm having trouble 'paying my respects' in 'the way of the hongmoon.' I can't seem to find where the purple marker is pointing me.

e: after 15 min of running around i realize its an incense thing.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

KyloWinter posted:

Ya I liked the open world PVP. I'm having trouble 'paying my respects' in 'the way of the hongmoon.' I can't seem to find where the purple marker is pointing me.

e: after 15 min of running around i realize its an incense thing.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
We happen to have any blue clans up in the beta? Curious to see what it takes to make that cool outfit.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Uziduke posted:

Nexon just sold off all their NCsoft stock today. See how this effects anything.

Seems just like it was in-fighting between the two companies. Their brilliant plan was to combine and then buy EA, but obviously that failed. Nexon actually sold the stock for less then they bought it for, but due to exchange rates they still made money.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
Picking Blade Dancer really was the right choice. If only the sword throw was a bit stronger and the duration on Phantom Grip was longer, I could pretend to be a warrior from a galaxy far, far away and kill everything only using my notForce Powers. They really are easy to play, as indicated by the difficulty rating thing.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Ya I'm really having fun playing blade dancer. Is there anyway to change the look of my character? I have a change character voucher in my in-game mail but it says I must use it in the character lobby? I somehow chose a white hair with a blue tint when I was just going for silver and it's bugging me ever so slightly. But I'm almost lvl 20 and I cba to restart.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Karistar posted:

Picking Blade Dancer really was the right choice. If only the sword throw was a bit stronger and the duration on Phantom Grip was longer, I could pretend to be a warrior from a galaxy far, far away and kill everything only using my notForce Powers. They really are easy to play, as indicated by the difficulty rating thing.

You can increase the duration of Phantom Grip to 6 seconds once you unlock the talent points for the martial tome. I like the upgrade that also causes every attack during it to add more focus, though it increases the cooldown slightly.

Force Master also has Phantom Grip, it seems. But they don't get to stab people with telekinetics during it.

Orabilis fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 18, 2015

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Ended up making a blue clan for this beta and for the future CBTs, as there won't be a wipe between them. Name is Shanghai Goon. I forget if you can just apply to guilds directly or if you have to be invited. In the latter case, my character name is Elysae.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
Though people have their opinions on this sort of thing, I wonder how the KR/JP voices sound throughout, compared to the English voice. While some of the characters sound pretty okay, much of it makes me think I'm actually playing Naruto Online or something out of a cartoon based in fantastical Korea, or else otherwise not even trying at all. Unless Lyn females are just cynical in general, I was pretty convinced that my Lyn using the default Lyn Female voices was actually laughing when the only other surviving member of the Hongmoon School that was there at the time died when whoever that was acting them out did that 'sniffle'.

I'm sure they're probably bad as well in their respective languages, but I'd rather listen to VAs that actually sound like they're trying to be in character, at least.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Some of the random NPCs have decent voice acting but some of the main characters are god awful. Once you hit act 2 you'll meet a character named Soha with the worst Dolly Parton-esque accent.

I'm sure there will be a fan compiled patch for KR/JP voices at some time, if not during the beta than definitely after release.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

KyloWinter posted:

Some of the random NPCs have decent voice acting but some of the main characters are god awful. Once you hit act 2 you'll meet a character named Soha with the worst Dolly Parton-esque accent.

I'm sure there will be a fan compiled patch for KR/JP voices at some time, if not during the beta than definitely after release.

One of the CMs was mentioning they may actually provide language packs in a more official way at some point.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Is there any easy way to tell ping in game? I really like the playstyle of KFM...mostly because it's less Kung Fu and more MMA. I've heard ping can be a big issue with the class though, and am noticing it now while leveling with trying to time dodges. Apparently the game's servers are based in Texas, and I don't wanna run into a situation I've had in other Chinagames where certain people just poo poo all over my because my ping is 100ms and theirs is 50.

Bored Grunt
Nov 8, 2009

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain

Haroshia posted:

Is there any easy way to tell ping in game?

Nothing built into the client as far as I know but the server address is 64.25.35.100 if you want to try pinging it via command prompt. Server is located in Dallas if I remember correctly.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Having to show up to work this morning after playing B&S all weekend is awful, but so very worth it. Played a Force Master all weekend. Good times.

Also, red.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

KyloWinter posted:

I haven't gotten that far on NA but in the TW version, everything is voice acted including side quests and random NPC banter in town, and even mobs like frogs and bandits. The side quest voices are nice in that you don't need to read the quest text you can just listen to the NPCs and move on. They all sound over the top, with extremely cheesy lines and act like bumbling idiots. In NA it just doesn't have the same charm and everything felt really quiet/business-like. However NPC banter is annoying as heck because they will never stop talking. Every 5 seconds they'll just repeat what they said. Mobs will repeat the same sentence every time you engage in a new enemy and if you are killing them quickly you'll hear them so much you'll be sick of it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I also like how every NPC is an idiot.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
WHY CANT YOU JUST HOLD STILL!?

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
If I buy a founders pack right now will I be able to get in and play right now? If I am asking a question that's been asked 100 times please goons have mercy

edit: also if I buy a founders pack and end up loving the game and want to upgrade which tier I bought, will it let me?

edit edit: found that answer, "No, there is currently no option to upgrade to a higher tier Founder’s Pack after purchase. We are investigating the possibility of adding this feature, but for now it is not possible to upgrade your purchase."

teknologik fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 20, 2015

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

teknologik posted:

If I buy a founders pack right now will I be able to get in and play right now? If I am asking a question that's been asked 100 times please goons have mercy

Nope because the alpha servers just went down. There's been no word of another alpha test this coming weekend, but a founders pack will get you access to the closed beta that starts on Oct 30th. You can also sign up for a chance at a key without buying in.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Bored Grunt posted:

Nothing built into the client as far as I know but the server address is 64.25.35.100 if you want to try pinging it via command prompt. Server is located in Dallas if I remember correctly.

It's more accurate if you open Resource Manager and have a look at the latency for the instances of "client.exe". 250-350ms for me :(

I played a Destroyer over the weekend, it's great fun picking up fools and giving them a headbutt or smashing them into the ground.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Fun weekend. Ended up playing a lot more than I thought I would, got my Blade Dancer to lvl 28. I really enjoyed the faction quests where you have to wear a pvp outfit then fight nerds for the same farming grounds. Lots of fun.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
By request, did a quick write up on Soul Shields which I also added to my newbie guide here.

Soul Shields

-You need to be wearing an outfit to gain stats from your soul shields. Swapping outfits won't change you soul shield configuration, but running around naked won't give you their benefits.
-Soul Shields come in 8-piece sets, and you get set bonuses for equipping 3, 5, and 8 pieces from the same set. Its usually worth it to go for the full set.
-Most soul shields you find are pretty mediocre at best. I found that for leveling it was just easier and more efficient to focus sets with HP and Crit. This seemed like the most useful stats to focus on, but feel free to prove me otherwise.
-Using the salvage button on the bottom of your inventory UI, you can break down unwanted pieces and gain fusion powder. Using the upgrade button on the same UI, you can use other unwanted soul shields to increase the stats of the ones you plan to equip.
-By joining the Soul Shield crafting guild, you can just directly make pieces with the stat you're looking to add. Want to stack more crit? Just make crit shields! If you're not a crafter, you can always find them on the marketplace as well. As a bonus, you'll be able to craft the transformation stones needed for your various hongmoon equipment upgrades.

Going to outline the soul shield sets I went for and where to get them. Don't remember the exact names but they should be close enough.

lv6 Stalker Set - Stalker Jiangshi Wheel of Fate

lv20 Viridian Set - Viridian Valor Stone Vendor in Jadestone Village. Next to the daily quest board and a little north of the clan/faction NPCs.

Optional: lv20 Blight Set - Blackram Narrows. Better than the Viridian Set, but not by much. In the time you spend farming up a complete set you could easily gain 2-3 levels by questing so I'd recommend skipping.

lv28 Cinderlands Set - Cinderlands Valor Stone Vendor in Yehara's Mirage/Scorching Sands. Next to the wheel of fate in town.

Optional: Lv33 Scorpion Set - Pinchy Wheel of Fate. Like the stalker set, this is another wheel reward and I was able to put together a set fairly quickly. Its up to you if you want to use it as you lose about 800 HP but gain 10% crit compared to the lv28 Cinderlands Set. It makes very useful fodder for fusing crit onto the next set, though.

lv36 Cinderlands Set - Cinderlands Valor Stone Vendor in Yehara's Mirage/Scorching Sands. Next to the wheel of fate in town. Higher level version of the Cinderlands set from the same NPC. You'll lose about 5% crit compared to the Scorpion Set, but gain more than 2k HP. You can make up some of the lost crit by just fusing your Scorpion pieces to this one.

This set should take you to level cap, but I'll update if I find something better and reasonable to put together along the way.

Everyman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 20, 2015

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
That's a really good soul shield guide. Particularly because it also outlines suggested sets to get when leveling. I'd also just add that you can join the shield crafting guild to make your own shield sets that can be used as really good fodder for other shields. In addition, it also makes the transformation stones you need for many of the breakthroughs for hongmoon items.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Everyman posted:

By request, did a quick write up on Soul Shields which I also added to my newbie guide here.

Soul Shields

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Closed beta tests start on October 30th! Release is early 2016!

Guides:
Tips for Beginners

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Dawnfire posted:

That's a really good soul shield guide. Particularly because it also outlines suggested sets to get when leveling. I'd also just add that you can join the shield crafting guild to make your own shield sets that can be used as really good fodder for other shields. In addition, it also makes the transformation stones you need for many of the breakthroughs for hongmoon items.

That's pretty clever, definitely going to add that in. I actually did take the soul shield guild (and pottery to support it) but didn't think about fusion until last night. And I was even crafting crit soul shields because they were the first item on the list. :downs: Let me tell you about crafting cinderlands transformation stones though. 6 hours for a rare gather, 6 hours to craft a component, then another 6 hours to make the drat stones themselves. At least they come five at a time.

I should probably do a write up on professions as well since a buddy and I spent a couple hours picking up/dropping crafts and gathers to figure out all the interdependencies.

Woop, thanks!

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Glad I could help! And yeah, crafting time ramps up a ton as you get to later tiers, but it's a very nice way to make some cash in the game as everyone needs the middle and later transformation stones. Pottery will also let you pick and choose which stat bonus you might want for fusion. Although, I'm under the impression crit is the best stat for most classes and roles. It will probably also help a ton to have a clan member or few pick it up to help supply people with them when they need it. Clan crafting does seem to be a thing, and requires at least one person of level 3 in each crafting guild.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Everyman posted:

Thanks for adding that. I tried to solo Blackram Downs. Turned out to be a lot easier to do once I was told about the Viridian vendor, whose soulshield set gave me a 60% boost to hp...

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
And here's my profession write up, already added to my newbie guide. As usual, feel free to point out any erroneous information or advice of your own.

Professions - Gathering and Crafting

The Basics

-Rather than finding or making items yourself, crafting and gathering is done by placing orders. You pick up professions by forming contracts with their respective guilds, and then place orders for either raw materials (gathering) or finished products (crafting). Gathering requires a small fee, while crafting requires the recipes materials along with a fee.
-Orders can be placed directly and picked up through a guild NPC or long-distance through your crafting UI. Distance orders and pick up will incur an additional fee that may be a little pricey for the level you are able to first start crafting, but becomes negligible over time.
-Professions can first be acquired in Jadestone Village. You can have up to 2 gathering and 2 crafting professions, for a total of four. You can drop a profession at anytime at the cost of losing your accumulated experience with that profession.
-To gather, you must first locate a sample of the item you wish to gather in the world. The UI helpfully lets you know what region and subzone of the map they can be found on, as well as giving you directions towards the sample. There are multiple places to find an individual sample, but you only need (and can only ever interact) with one.

Ranks and Guild Points

-Crafting and gathering items earns you guild points towards their respective professions, which you need to rank up. The UI helpfully informs you of your current guild points, the total needed to reach the next rank, and how many points each order provides.
-Higher ranks allow you to craft and gather new items. There are a total of 4 ranks, each with materials corresponding to a different region in the world: Rank 1 - Viridian Coast, Rank 2 - The Cinderlands, Rank 3 - Moonwater Glade, Rank 4 - Snowy Peaks. (Forgot the actual name.)
-As the ranks of your orders go up, so does the time needed to fulfill them. For example, crafting and gathering for common materials and items takes 30 minutes at rank 1 and 40 minutes at rank two. Rare crafts and gathers are 1 hour at rank 1 and 6 hours at rank 2. Taking all the steps into account, Rank 3 crafts can take almost 48 hours from beginning to end.
-You can perform special crafts as a clan! Deposit the required materials into the clan vault, and the leader can place an order for items that cannot be obtained in any other way, including customizable clan outfits. They also require certain professions to be learned among your clan members. At the extreme end, some crafts will need at least one of every crafting profession maxed out within the clan.

Miscellaneous

-Quartz and water are special resources that can only be gathered out in the world directly by players. Mining picks allow you to gather quartz from rock formations, and jars allow you to collect water from wells.
-The icons for wells and rock formations are always visible on the map, but it does take time for the actual node to respawn. Its intended to be a limited resource, so don't be surprised if it takes some time to find a node.
-You can find more recipes out in the world to unlock new items to craft in your UI. The majority of these are drops from dungeons.

I'll add the actual names for the professions and guilds when the game is back up.

Gathering Gulds

Herbalism - Provides materials for Medicines and Talismans.
Fishing - Provides materials for Medicines and Talismans.
Mining - Provides materials for Jewelry and Blacksmithing.
Stonecutting - Provides materials for Jewelry and Blacksmithing.
Woodcutting - Provides materials for Soul Shields and Pottery.
Harvesting - Provides materials for Pottery and Cooking.
Trapping - Provides materials for Soul Shields and Cooking.

Crafting Guilds

Medicine

Craft health potions and antidotes to purge poisons. Since the standard healing potion is percentage based, more advanced crafts will allow you to produce larger quantities at once. More advanced recipes will allow you to craft other kinds of healing potions as well. Makes an excellent pair with Talismans due to their shared gathering professions.

Talismans

Craft talismans that do everything from unsealing equipment, dungeon and town teleportation and party member resurrection. Makes an excellent pair with Medicines due to their shared gathering professions.

Jewelry

Craft various accessories and as well as boxes that contain random gems. While your hongmoon accessories will be superior to anything you craft, the accessories provide good fodder to feed into your gear. The gems themselves will be useful both while leveling and at level cap. Makes an excellent pair with Blacksmithing due to their shared gathering professions.

Blacksmithing

Craft weapons and the various repair tools used to restore durability. Your crafted weapons are never going to outshine your hongmoon, but they can at least provide weapon skins to copy over for an alternate appearance. Makes an excellent pair with Jewelry due to their shared gathering professions.

Cooking

Craft food to restore HP out of combat and provide buffs. Since the standard dumpling is percentage based, more advanced crafts will allow you to produce larger quantities at once. More advanced recipes allow you to make food with provides buffs to max HP and experienced earned from defeating enemies. Pairs decently with Pottery or Soul Shields due to having a single gathering profession in-common with either.

Soul Shields

Craft soul shields of a desired stat as well as weapon transformation stones. The soul shield sets you gain from other sources will be flat out better, but this profession allows you to produce shields of any desired stat for use in fusion. Instead of equipping the shields you make, you'll be using them to improve the sets you do equip. The weapon transformation stones are very useful, but also very time consuming to produce. Rank 2 stones can take up to 18 hours to produce a set of 5, while Rank 3 stones take close to 48. Pairs decently with Cooking or Pottery due to having a single gathering profession in-common with either.

Pottery

Crafts materials used in every other crafting profession as well as pickaxes and jars. The focus of pottery is making materials necessary for the more advanced recipes in other crafts. While its quite easy to level up a craft to max using only the materials from its associated gatherers, every profession has crafts that will require ingredients from Pottery. Pairs decently with Cooking or Soul Shields due to having a single gathering profession in-common with either.

Crafting and Endgame

-Most professions remain useful even at level cap, both for selling your crafted items on the marketplace and for your own personal use.
-Talismans and Medicines will remain relevant for providing consumables. There will always be a need for potions and unsealing talismans.
-Jewelry finds its niche in producing gem boxes. When opened, these give a random gem that could be potentially very valuable or...not so much. As one of the main sources of gems at endgame, you can either try for the worthwhile gems or just sell your unopened boxes on the marketplace and leave the risk to the buyers.
-Soul shields provide the fusion fodder needed to add stats of your choice to the soul shield sets you collect from dungeons and other sources. Transformation stones remain relevant as you better believe equipment upgrading doesn't stop just because you've hit level cap!
-Pottery will continue to provide materials for the above professions, especially as the focus moves on to the more material intensive recipes.
-Cooking and Blacksmithing, uh, you need them for clan crafts! :v: Hey, they can't all be winners.

Everyman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 22, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
installing now... looks like fun!

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Everyman posted:

Another good guide.

Pretty in-depth and helpful write up. The only thing I'd add is that the quartz is very important for transformation stones. They also will give you around 5 pickaxes and jars per zone from the story quest at some point, and once you get those it's a good idea to keep a look-out for them if you have any interest in crafting. You can also try changing channels if you're checking ore spots as well, as often you'll eventually find some spots free in one of the emptier channels.

Edit: Changed a bit around because I misread the guide!

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Dawnfire posted:

Pretty in-depth and helpful write up. The only thing I'd add is that the quartz is very important for transformation stones. They also will give you around 5 pickaxes and jars per zone from the story quest at some point, and once you get those it's a good idea to keep a look-out for them if you have any interest in crafting. You can also try changing channels if you're checking ore spots as well, as often you'll eventually find some spots free in one of the emptier channels.

Edit: Changed a bit around because I misread the guide!

For the life of me I could rarely ever come across the actual nodes. I think I managed to gather quartz maybe 2-3 times over the entire weekend. Luckily it was really drat cheap to just buy it off the marketplace.

This did remind me to add another piece of advice to the beginner guide, though. Questing should actually take care of most, if not all, of your transformation stone needs. If you want to "sequence break" a bit by skipping ahead to later areas just to get your breakthrough weapons and accessories, yeah you're going to run short. My buddy who ran across the Cinderlands the moment he entered the zone to try and upgrade his weapon yet again was pulling his hair out when I told him it would take me about 18 hours to craft the transformation stones he needed. You'll get a couple though just from questing across the desert area, and the lv30 survey gives you a whopping three at once.

Granted, that didn't stop pubbies from buying my stones for almost 20 silver a pop. :v:

Edit: Thanks for the second link in the OP. Was going to have the profession post consolidated into the original guide, but this makes both more readable.

Everyman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 21, 2015

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What are the worthwhile crafting profs?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played this weekend, they should call this game blade and giant glossy tits

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

KyloWinter posted:

What are the worthwhile crafting profs?

Everything but Blacksmithing and maybe Cooking should make you money at cap.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Seems like talismans and medicine are the best then since you can get all required materials for both and they scale into late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

KyloWinter posted:

Seems like talismans and medicine are the best then since you can get all required materials for both and they scale into late game.

Those two are definitely the easiest to pair together. Everything has a niche, though.

Talismans and Potions remain relevant as consumables into and throughout endgame. Jewelry is your main source of gems. Soul shields gives you the fodder you'll be fusing onto your dungeon sets of soul shields and you better believe the weapon upgrading doesn't stop at max level. Potters makes ingredients that feed into all of the above.

Cooking and Blacksmithing, they uh, well you need them for clan crafts. :v: I should probably add all this into the profession post.

• Locked thread