Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
2:F is interesting. Giving their rivals a heads-up that the home turf of the gang they are feuding with will be less well protected may allow us to weaken an enemy without any effort besides giving them that heads-up.

Ghostwoods posted:

1E -- drive up to Eel and tell him to keep a lid on things here (B, but with Eel, who seems less likely to inflame tensions), then Billy gets on heading up to Los Santos. Eel can join him a bit later, once the danger is past.

And this 1E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absum
May 28, 2013

1.A
2.B

Some more people please vote I don't trust myself

e: oh someone voted while I was posting yay

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
BA, but get Eel to help with the calming since I dunno how good Billy is at crowd control what don't involve headbutts.

Also ask Intercept if there's any notable Locos members worth knowing about.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
1A
2FA

Try and develop a Rep as a gang that just wants harmony.

Talk to the rival gang and see if we can develop a 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' relationship. They can provide muscle and bodies, we can help with inventive trouble shooting.

Also check out the new crib, gotta have a backup.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Outrail posted:

1A
2FA

Try and develop a Rep as a gang that just wants harmony.

Talk to the rival gang and see if we can develop a 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' relationship. They can provide muscle and bodies, we can help with inventive trouble shooting.

Also check out the new crib, gotta have a backup.

For #2 do you mean FB ?

(I really should have just continued through the alphabet instead of starting at A again, and this is what I will do from now on)

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 25, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Uh, on my mobile, I mean get the highway patrol to tell the protesters to chill their tits, don't give us muties a bad name.

Then check out the warehouse and make kissyface with the rival gang /potential allies.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Tomn posted:

BA, but get Eel to help with the calming since I dunno how good Billy is at crowd control what don't involve headbutts.

Also ask Intercept if there's any notable Locos members worth knowing about.

Intercept scratches his chin and you wonder if he's ever heard of beard oil. "The head of the gang is a guy named Carlos Gutierrez. He's about twenty-five, been in and out of jail a few times. He's got two strikes, so if he gets arrested now he's going away for a long time. Because of that a lot of the heavy lifting seems to fall to his lieutenants, Eightball Morales and Johnny 'Stick' Arroyo."

He turns from his screens, which are constantly changing and give you a headache if you look too closely at them, and points his finger at the TV mounted on the wall. It flicks on. The news is covering the disaster that the morning commute has turned into: a helicopter shot of a mess of people wandering around on the 10 freeway, waving arms and banners, dominates the screen. You sigh. It feels like it's going to be a long day.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

1. D. with discretion to do B if they want.

There might be promising candidates for recruitment here, but it'd be a shame if all hell broke loose. Giving them discretion let's them grow as leaders within the organization and we need to start cultivating those for when we have more people than we can handle alone.

2. CFB
C: Contacting Barrio should be brief and possibly even anonymous, but with a signature of some sort in case we want to establish a long term relationship. Just tip him off that his rival gang is doing something major at the shelter and there's an opportunity for him to do something if he wants to take it, likely attacking places they've left with insufficient defenders to repel an attack or cracking heads directly at the shelter.

F: Between the protest and the shelter, we'll have a couple of potential battles today, so we should get our people ready to rock and roll. Get in touch with them by phone and have Intercept help out to cut down on work.

B: We need to establish a decent base of operations and we should consider grabbing Intercept so he can check the electrical / electronic aspects of it and determine how easy it would be to secure it. This is a major investment, but it will pay significant long term dividends to have an official base that isn't pathetic. Don't take Intercept if he has no way of monitoring the developing situations remotely and the trip is expected to last a while.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 26, 2015

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. C

Get the mundanes to do something to the peaceful mutant protest. Show the cameras how persecuted we are.

2. C

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
C B

Lets get something going and also a place to hide out.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

We're pretty divided on what to tell Billy.

Staying with the protest in some fashion is winning, but what to do while there is all tied up at 2 votes apiece.

:siren: NEW VOTE on remaining options from QUESTION 1! :siren:
:siren:QUESTION 2 is still open from the earlier update:siren:

3. Hey, Billy -
A. Try to keep the peace
B. Start something with a mundane, make them attack the mutants
C. OBSERVE ONLY

4. Who stays?
D. Billy
E. Eel
F. Both

edit: sorry if this is confusing :doh:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 26, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
AE.

Absum
May 28, 2013

3. C
4. E

Absum fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 26, 2015

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Haven't voted this cycle yet, thinking:

1. B, keep things calm.
2. Actually, what do we know about the Barrio Boneyard? They're a rival gang, yeah, but do they have any clear attitude about mutants? What's their policy on dealing with rivals? Does their turf border the Locos, at all?
3. A, per my vote on 1, which I wrote while pestering hollylolly on IRC.
4. E

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
eh CD .

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I just wanna go to disneyland.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Theglavwen posted:

I just wanna go to disneyland.

Honestly, that might be a wise idea. Take the day off, let the shelter deal with their own problems.

Sadly, I've committed myself to the idea of the Brotherhood as a mutant protection and promotion organization, even for mutants who aren't part of our number.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Vavrek posted:

Haven't voted this cycle yet, thinking:

1. B, keep things calm.
2. Actually, what do we know about the Barrio Boneyard? They're a rival gang, yeah, but do they have any clear attitude about mutants? What's their policy on dealing with rivals? Does their turf border the Locos, at all?
3. A, per my vote on 1, which I wrote while pestering hollylolly on IRC.
4. E

You think about the Barrio Boneyard for a minute before deciding whether or not you should contact them. You aren't overly familiar with them, but you do know that they are friendly, or at least ambivalent, toward mutants. Their turf butts right up against the Locos in Los Santos, but they control a smaller area. There have been some nasty altercations between the two gangs in the past, but since Carlos (leader of the Locos) got his second strike it's been pretty quiet. The Bones seem to react to others encroaching on their territory or insulting them, but you don't think they go out looking for trouble.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hrm. Geography question: How are Banyon Street, Locos Territory, and Boneyard Territory arranged?
What I'm thinking is: if the Locos are going to be 'sending a message', maybe we could bait them into overextending and being caught in some sort of pincer attack, with the Barrio Boneyard attacking on the other side, claiming some small amount of turf as a result. Depending on the economics of the situation, that might be appealing enough to the Boneyard folk.

My vote on 2: EF: Call the Barrio Boneyard from our encrypted cell phone, while driving to Disneyland.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Mutant fight on the Matterhorn.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Vavrek posted:

Hrm. Geography question: How are Banyon Street, Locos Territory, and Boneyard Territory arranged?
What I'm thinking is: if the Locos are going to be 'sending a message', maybe we could bait them into overextending and being caught in some sort of pincer attack, with the Barrio Boneyard attacking on the other side, claiming some small amount of turf as a result. Depending on the economics of the situation, that might be appealing enough to the Boneyard folk.

My vote on 2: EF: Call the Barrio Boneyard from our encrypted cell phone, while driving to Disneyland.

Okay, here is a visual representation of the territory of the two gangs. Imagine there are actual streets and stuff laid out in it and don't hold it's lovely nature against me! Virtually none of it is to scale, except that the Boneyard turf is small in comparison to the Locos.

Your pincer attack scenario could work, if you can convince the Bones that extending their territory is a good idea.

EDIT: Banyon Street should look closer to the border than it is. It's a few streets away from the Boneyard turf.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 26, 2015

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Huh. Okay! That could work. I was imagining Banyon Street being on the opposite side of Locos territory, so that if they had any significant forces deployed there, it'd mean there were fewer people guarding the side bordering the Barrio Boneyard. We'd start poo poo on one side, but not enough to scare them off, and then the Boneyard would advance on the rear of Locos territory while it was vulnerable. It wouldn't be the a huge dramatic shift, just ... a small chipping away of land, territory/resources, from an anti-mutant gang.

With that map, it's more like convincing the Barrio Boneyard to expand by going head-on against a 15th Street Locos group at Banyon Street, with the promise that we would be there to help them out, possibly leading the charge, clearing the way for them (since we aren't interested in administration/governance).

The trouble is encouraging territorial expansion. It was a big thing back in the 1970s, 1980s, when all the pop culture about cities ruled by gangs was made, but a lot of that was the sky-high price of cocaine ...

(I actually don't know a ton about modern-day gangland operations.)

Footnote: Fun fact! One of the 85 different theories for why crime fell in the 1990s in the USA? Meth. Meth's cheap, and cut the bottom out of the cocaine market, dramatically reducing the profitability of gang-level drug trade, and thus removing a major incentive for controlling territory (monopoly on drug sales).

edit: Hrm. We called the police, right? And the leader of the Barrio Boneyard already has two strikes? Maybe we could engineer a coup of some kind, if the second-in-command wants a promotion.

Or, hell. This is complicated poo poo.

Changing my vote to pure Disneyland. Let the shelter sort itself out.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 26, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So you're saying we should become mutant method dealers?

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

3. B
4. D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Vavrek posted:

edit: Hrm. We called the police, right? And the leader of the Barrio Boneyard already has two strikes? Maybe we could engineer a coup of some kind, if the second-in-command wants a promotion.

Or, hell. This is complicated poo poo.

Changing my vote to pure Disneyland. Let the shelter sort itself out.

The Locos leader has two strikes and leaves most of the heavy lifting to his lieutenants. You don't know much about the members of the Boneyard.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hollylolly posted:

The Locos leader has two strikes and leaves most of the heavy lifting to his lieutenants. You don't know much about the members of the Boneyard.

Actually... Let go pick a fight with the Locos leader, he shoots us, we die, he goes to jail, we wake up.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Outrail posted:

So you're saying we should become mutant method dealers?

I'm saying we should go to Disneyland and live a carefree life, because for all we know, ours will never end. We should learn how to not worry early, how to take life as it comes and not get bogged down with dreary, meaningless bullshit. Some people sit zazen. Jane goes to Disneyland.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
In that case you're thinking too small.

Buy backpack, go to Venezuela.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I hear Genosha is nice this time of year.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Neither of those places has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You watch the video of the protest on the TV screen while you tell Billy what you want him to do. “Find Eel and have him join up with the protestors. I don’t want him doing anything but keeping an eye on things for now – if it starts getting rough he should protect the mutants. Keep the peace if he can.”

”Okay boss. You want me to keep going to Locos turf?” Billy sounds bored.

“Yeah, we tipped off the cops but I don’t know what their response is going to be. I want you there to watch the shelter from a distance and keep Intercept informed.” You hang up and go get dressed to start your day in your usual Dickies work pants, steel toed shoes, and a plain t-shirt. You don’t have any curves to try to accentuate, your hair is cut short and needs little attention, and you don’t waste time with make-up.

Back in the living room/computer nest you look for your car keys. “Intercept, I want you to call up everyone else. Make sure they’re ready for anything today. Also, text me a number for the Barrio Boneyard.”

“Ah, good idea!” Squib has reappeared, a deck of cards in his hands. “Tell them something's going down tonight, maybe they take care of the Locos for us.” He flicks a card toward a bowl and it flies off in a different direction.

“Yeah,” you say, “something like that. I’m going to go check out that warehouse in Huntington Park by the rail yards.” Do you want to come? is almost out of your mouth before you can stop it, but you don’t really want to hang out with Squib right now, and Intercept isn’t exactly mobile friendly. He works best from his base of operations. “I’ll make sure I record the electrical panel and all that for you,” you say instead, holding up your smartphone at Intercept. He doesn’t really look up, but nods.

After you locate your keys you briefly consider just going to Disneyland instead. It would be nice to be able to just ignore all this poo poo, but duty calls. You climb into your old Honda Civic and get going, dialing the number Intercept has texted to you and holding the phone to your ear as you drive. Apparently you are about to talk to someone called Scratch who is in the leadership of the Barrio Boneyard.

”Who’s this?”

“Zombie.”

”Yeah, right. Brotherhood, callin’ me?”

“We heard rumors that the Locos are going to start something tonight on Banyon Street. Thought you and the Bones would want to know. That’s close to your turf, isn’t it?”

”An’ you just some concerned citizen lookin’ out for our best interest?” He sounds skeptical, and irritated.

You roll your eyes. “Something like that, yeah. They’re targeting Redención House, because they hate all those mutie kids. The Brotherhood doesn’t like that. From what I hear, the Barrio Boneyard won’t like it either.”

There’s a bit of silence, and then Scratch says, ”Those pricks better watch themselves, startin’ something so close to the Boneyard. But as long as they stay on their side, we gotta stay on ours. We ain’t strong enough to take on the Locos.”

Well, poo poo.

1. You say –
A. Nothing. You hang up.
B. Try to convince Scratch it’s in the Boneyard’s best interest to grab some territory away from the Locos, and tonight is their best chance.
C. B, and you sweeten the pot by promising the Brotherhood will back them up.
D. Something else. Write in!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
C "... and we got a kid who can turn a handful of rocks into a grenade barrage, we'll lend him to you for a night if you help us out"

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Outrail posted:

C "... and we got a kid who can turn a handful of rocks into a grenade barrage, we'll lend him to you for a night if you help us out"

Yeah, I like this.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

Oh man, be the fixer! This is a great idea.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Outrail posted:

:bandwagon:

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

Outrail posted:

This. What could possibly go wrong?

Absum
May 28, 2013

A

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“C’mon, Scratch, you’re not going to get a better opportunity to expand your territory than tonight.” You floor it while you merge onto the freeway. Six months in Southern California and you’re only just getting used to how differently traffic flows here. “The Brotherhood’s got your back.”

”Oh yeah?” He sounds suspicious. ”Seems sort of small potatoes for the big, bad, Brotherhood.”

“Yeah,” you say, “You’re right. I got other things on my plate right now. But I have to protect the shelter. They’re doing good things for mutants, and I’m going to make sure they’re not living in fear from some worthless pieces of poo poo like the Locos. You and the Bones can help, and take advantage of this situation, or you can sit on the sidelines. The Brotherhood will remember what you chose to do.”

”Don’t loving threaten me, bitch,” he says, almost absently, thinking it over. ”Fine. Say we do this – if we do this – we grab Banyon Street tonight. And your peeps leave. The Locos aren’t going to stand for that poo poo. They’ll be back, and in bigger loving numbers.”

“I’ve got a kid who can turn a handful of rocks into a grenade barrage,” you say, cutting across a few lanes of traffic and exiting the freeway. “We’ll lend him to you for the next couple days if you help us out.”

There’s a long silence, long enough you wonder if you were disconnected. ”Lemme talk to the others. I’ll be in touch.” Scratch hangs up.

Well, that’s just about as good as you could have hoped. You can’t really explain why you want to protect the shelter so badly. They’re relentless do-gooders, which is sort of irritating, but people like that…doing actual good in the world for mutant kids who desperately need it… Yeah. Protecting them from the evil of the world is something you can get behind.

You find Soto St and start scanning cross streets until you find Fruitland Ave. Pulling up in front of the building you double check Google maps.

Across the street is a power substation. You are about to snap a picture and send it to Intercept, but then you realize he almost certainly already knows it’s there.

Inside, the building could use some work. But it’s big enough, and there’s a couple offices/conference rooms built into the right side that you could partially convert into a living space. One wall is almost completely windows, but they’re tagged and some are broken. Everything is dirty. You stand in the middle of it and look around.

1. You –
A. Like it
B. Hate it
C. Are indifferent. You need the space, this is a space.

You take a video of the inside and text it to Intercept, who replies with two smiley faces and a poo emoji. Whatever the gently caress that means. You’re about to pocket your phone when you get a series of texts.

Billy
@ Banyon saw patrol car drive thru. no other cops. everything quiet now

Eel
The protest is being broken up by the CHP. I got the number of the organizer. They’re arresting should I run or

Wildfire
Heading to the apartment. See u soon

2. What’s next? (pick as many as you like)
A. Tell Eel to get out of there
B. Tell Eel to submit to the CHP. He’ll be cut loose soon enough.
C. Head to Intercept and Squib’s apartment and meet up with Wildfire
D. Text Vigilante and find out what she’s doing
E. Head to Los Santos
F. Go and do something else. Write in.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 27, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Warehouse with huge windows? That's a security risk. The substation could be good for stealing juice but we're not mad scientists.

BD. Eel, start making some contacts while your on the inside. He did nothing wrong so won't get charged with poo poo. Concentrate on recruiting muties with combat and/or recon skillset /powers. And someone who can cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Forgot my warehouse interior picture.

• Locked thread