Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
BA, but get Eel to help with the calming since I dunno how good Billy is at crowd control what don't involve headbutts.

Also ask Intercept if there's any notable Locos members worth knowing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Squib has a Desert Eagle in his top drawer (which is like, completely ridiculous given his power),

Wouldn't Squib plus an Uzi or something qualify as a weapon of mass destruction?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

So, I've been doing some thinking. What is our goal? I don't mean this situation with the shelter, I mean our ultimate, final goal, the thing we're driving towards, the wish we'd spend if we happened to run across a benevolent genie. What are we working towards?

Well, from the OP, the organization we're part of characterizes itself like so:

quote:

A Brotherhood has formed, a series of underground cells of mutant freedom fighters who will stop at nothing to right the wrongs against their fellow mutants. To the Brotherhood mutants are the next step of human evolution, a step toward perfection or perhaps even perfection itself, while mundanes are the Neanderthals, doomed for extinction. Many call the Brotherhood a terror organization, but they insist that mutants have nothing to fear from them.

But the thing is, I dunno about you guys, but that seems a little...master racey to me. The humans and the subhumans. Don't worry too much about collateral, because the collateral doesn't matter - they're the discarded remnants of the past still clinging to life. We COULD do that, I suppose, and play it straight, but I don't think I've really got the stomach for it.

A more charitable interpretation might be "We don't care about mundanes one way or another, but since mutants are the next step of human evolution, we wish to protect them and shepherd them until they've gained enough critical mass to become the dominant species while the mundanes peacefully go extinct." I could get behind this, personally, though it'd take a little work to get into that headspace. The main thing to take away from such an interpretation, I think, is "We have a duty to protect mutants" - and that would be our primary goal if we go this route.

The final interpretation is probably the nicest one and the one we're most familiar with, but it also requires the most mental gymnastics to square with the stated mission statement of the Brotherhood (that being "Mutants are just plain better."). This interpretation would be "Mutants are human too, and deserve to be treated with human dignity." Solid stuff to get behind, but as long as we're explicitly a terror organization and not a political party or Super PAC, it's gonna be kinda hard to square our mission statement with the violence we'll be undertaking.

So! Speaking personally, I'll take the second route. How to achieve that, then?

Well, we COULD go around finding individual wrongs to right and then punching them in the face, but that's somewhat inefficient in a stable democracy like the United States. There's all sorts of people doing bad, and we're just one small group, and it's not likely that we'll ever gain the power to individually defend every mutant in California, let alone the United States or the world. So long as we go around with individual violence without anything else guiding us, we'll be just what Fernandez thinks we are - another gang that cares about nothing but its turf and people.

I would argue, instead, that if we want to make mutants safe, we need to make PEOPLE think they're safe - to convince them to peacefully accept and live alongside mutants, to say that "mutants are ultimately helpful instead of harmful to humanity." If we truly believe that mutants are superior and the next stage of human evolution, then that's all we need to do anyways, as said superior would manifest over time as humans become more and more common.

Now, how do we accomplish that? Well, as a terror organization our raison d'etre is violence, but violence alone tends not to change minds the way we want them to be changed. So what DOES change minds? Good publicity. And as mutants, we're basically superheroes, aren't we? Wouldn't take THAT much work to spin our actions into crowd-pleasing, Robin Hood, "does what the government doesn't or can't do" good guy stuff as long as we're careful, wouldn't it?

So I propose we get started on that. We need journalistic contacts, folks friendly to the mutant cause willing to tell a good story about us, and to spin a disaster if such occurs. And we've got an amazing resource for that in the person of Intercept - he can pick up on all kinds of stories as they're happening, secrets nobody wants him to know, the kind of thing that could make a journalist's career. We can trade that for favorable stories about our deeds and our cause, and even kill two birds with one stone by pre-arranging a journalist on site of our actions once we're sure they'll be willing to help hush things up if everything goes wrong. We might get started now, if we want to take a risk and jump in cold - get him to sell info to a mutant-friendly journalist in exchange for said journalist wandering down to the mutant shelter when things are about to go down, to play up how terrible the Locos are and how noble we are in stopping them.

We'll also need to start thinking politics too, to an extent. Mutant rights is our primary goal, but if we don't protect normal humans as well we'll have a hard time gaining sympathy. Start targeting corrupt politicians and corporate secrets dangerous to the public welfare, and drag them to light in the flashiest and most dramatic way we can. Try to identify allied issues we can tackle which people tend to associate with mutant rights, to get more voters on our side. Maybe have Intercept cooperate more often with the police as well, to make sure they're as friendly as can be while we go around nabbing the guys they'd love to arrest but can't ever get evidence on - after all, if we get too high-profile we'd be in trouble if the cops don't like us.

It'll be difficult to pull off correctly - the risk of a PR disaster would become greater and greater the higher profile we get - and we'd have to be pretty pushy about getting our name in the papers. There might also come a time when we'll be forced to pick between genuine morality and what looks good on the headlines. Still, I think it's a solid plan, and it'll be better to act with some idea of what we want to do than to simply react to events, yeah?

Edit: Congratulations, hollylolly, you've been Tomn'd!

Tomn fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 29, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Registration Act: More properly called the Genetic Diversity Protection Act, this has quite a bit of press at the moment. Most headlines are favorable, or seem to be playing on the fears of the mundane populace. Some of the coverage includes the 'anti-discrimination' angle of the bill - mutants will be registered, yes, but it will become explicitly illegal to discriminate against them because of their genetic makeup.

More on the GDPA:
Each mutant will be classified with a threat rating, according to how dangerous they are. Every mutant is assessed a baseline threat rating based on their powers alone. If they have a criminal record, their rating is raised by one. If they have a record of violent crime, the rating is raised by two. Officially, no mutant can be rated higher than three on powers alone. However, individuals deemed to be unusually threatening may be rated higher. Note that five and six are not based merely on powers but on criminal behavior as well.

Hmm. What do we think about this, guys? I mean, obviously it's not great for us and our merry band personally, but would it help mutants at large out? If we intend to fight it, what angle do we take?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

ElrondHubbard posted:

However, I'm against changing our Brotherhood chapter into a complete goody-goody operation and making a bunch of enemies + alienating several of our already limited members, but I think we can come to a happy compromise if we start some front groups advocating for mutant rights, doing charity work, etc...

Hmm...I wonder if we know anyone who might be interested in good works and manning such a public front - say, like a shelter for at-risk teens...? We'd need to do something to convince that person we're good guys worth working with, though. I wonder what?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

B.

Could be important - maybe there's some side effects to that stuff she was on that even she's not aware of.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Too tired to think up a proper way to put it, but I kinda want to go ahead with our business, yet contact Vigilante in private and let her know that she can always talk with us about anything that comes up - letting her know we know about her meeting is optional, but I'm leaning towards yes.

Ultimately the Brotherhood is a small-scale, secretive organization. If we don't trust each other, what do we have before we collapse into mutual paranoia? It's best if she's willing to talk about it, but we ought to let her know we're still willing to trust her even if she's not willing to talk about what happened.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Given goons, I am tempted to suggest Benny Hill.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Ghostwoods posted:

Can we keep ourselves wound up by anticipating sudden attack from every quarter? We would be checking for reinforcements/traps. Or we need to be more Crank-proactive about it, like repeatedly stabbing ourselves in the side with a screwdriver or something?

Well, this thread didn't take long to go Enkidel/Ohone.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

C 1.

Keep on with the spick and span heroic rescuer image. The police might not buy it, but the shelter and press might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

ElrondHubbard posted:

We are in pretty rough shape considering we're starting to go through our drug stash to stay conscious and we weren't even able to inject ourselves just a short while ago.

Zombie's special power seems pretty limited, yeah. She isn't really a tank, she can't take a million hits and keep on trucking, she's just a normal person who can afford to take a few more risks without keeling over. More suitable for action hero, James Bond/Jason Bourne stuff than full-on superhero activities. We should probably keep that in mind for the future.

• Locked thread