Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when your body dies, it falls apart into tiny little pieces, it doesn't disappear like in a video game. your cells usually get munched on by other microorganisms and your consciousness dissipates as the organs required for its continued sustenance no longer function, much like what happens if you smack a pc's processor and motherboard to bits with a sledgehammer. non-existence is technically false, but what little is left after death doesn't really qualify as a person

homework: catch the energy leaving a dead person's body before it fully dissipates and present it in front of the class by next friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

quakster posted:

when your body dies, it falls apart into tiny little pieces, it doesn't disappear like in a video game. your cells usually get munched on by other microorganisms and your consciousness dissipates as the organs required for its continued sustenance no longer function, much like what happens if you smack a pc's processor and motherboard to bits with a sledgehammer.

this is one of the gooniest things I've ever read

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hosed up, but true

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
you used to exist as a cloud of dust floating through the abyss, even more so we apparently once existed together as an infinitely compacted point in space, but an over-arching universal organization is apparently too absurd to consider

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
i'm made entirely of dinosaur fart particles

so are my posts

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whether god exists or not comes right down to the definition. what is "god"? "god" is a word. in order for the word "god" to have a use, it needs to correspond to a concept. if you claim that god cannot be defined, your use of the word is synonymous with "everything" and/or "nothing"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
they believe climate activism is a rational and productive activity

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

whether god exists or not comes right down to the definition. what is "god"? "god" is a word. in order for the word "god" to have a use, it needs to correspond to a concept. if you claim that god cannot be defined, your use of the word is synonymous with "everything" and/or "nothing"

maybe the answer is somewhere in between :kingsley:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

There is also the whole argument of omnipotent and how the human brain can't conceptualize it correctly, we can only define it as having unlimited power.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Agag posted:

Atheists have no basis for morality, merely conditional whims. As such their ethics are provisional at best, and we furthermore know that atheist regimes are the most murderous in history.

So at best you could argue that Islam is the second most harmful religious ideology in history, behind atheism.

atheism isn't a religious ideology, though, and atheists do have a basis for morality. merely asserting that this isn't the case will not make it so.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
gtb op tia

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jukeboxblues posted:

There is also the whole argument of omnipotent and how the human brain can't conceptualize it correctly, we can only define it as having unlimited power.
god's like, this really small and big ball, man. it used to hang out in space, but it blew up because blowing yourself feels real good *takes another bong hit*

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
"SKY WIZARD SANTA CLAUSE."

:smugbert:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
prove to me that all of existence isn't just god diddling itself

you can't, you just can't

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it explains literally everything

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Wicker Man posted:

"SKY WIZARD SANTA CLAUSE."

:smugbert:

remember in the dark days of Serious GBS how there used to be heated debates on the merits of telling kids santa claus stories vs. ~~lying to your children~~ :supaburn:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
telling stories is good as long as you don't threaten kids into "believing" in them. it's the best way to teach and to entertain

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
"the bible is a poor source of information on authentic human experience due to it's many contradictions"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im gay

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

id say about 15% of the bible is really good and the rest is garbage trash

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quakster posted:

cool now tell us about the four simultaneous 24-hour days

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

solaranus posted:

"the bible is a poor source of information on authentic human experience due to it's many contradictions"

lmao you're right, most atheists can't spell the word "its" correctly

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gazpacho posted:

cool now tell us the four simultaneous 24-hour days
what does that even mean

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

quakster posted:

what does that even mean

http://www.timecube.com/

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Gazpacho posted:

cool now tell us about the four simultaneous 24-hour days

North, south, east, west.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
timecube now near-instantly redirects me to some dumb ad-site

this is it, this is what finally makes me install adblock

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

quakster posted:

timecube now near-instantly redirects me to some dumb ad-site

this is it, this is what finally makes me install adblock

it took you this long

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
I don't know how to post ironically in this thread.

Atheists are right and........I give up.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
consequentialist morality is inadequate and mortal sin demonstrably exists, therefore atheism is inadequate

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
"i'm going to really shake things up in gbs tonight, baby"

-the op on the bus ride home from his community college philosophy class

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Was hoping for more discussion of lesswrong.com and singularitarianism in general

"We're completely different from Christians, with their blind faith in Heaven and Hell and the sky fairy. They don't realize that Science will one day give the true believers a peaceful paradise in superior bodies, watched over by a benevolent intelligence that will eternally torture those who didn't help it. :smuggo:"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Maldoror posted:

you know how like there's all kinds of charities that are run by some religious organization

how come there's no charities run by atheist organizations
Because they don't have the fundamental tenet behind spreading the belief to others. Since there's no "saving" to be done there's no reason to push everyone to save their friends and neighbors, no reason to be pushy about labeling everything as atheist. And in a world where society is by and large anti-atheist, even if your charity is entirely staffed by atheists and agnostics it would be stupid to advertise that and alienate all those potential donors.

Jukeboxblues posted:

True, by definition the extent of omnipotence would have to be able to influence in ways beyond our definite, limited observation and concepts. It's also completely possible to be omnipotent and appear to us to be powerless, so agnosticism is far more sensible than atheism.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Agag posted:

Pointing out the atheist propensity for mass murder and cultural genocide isn't technically a criticism, since atheists lack any moral framework by which these actions could be considered right or wrong.
I know this is an Agag troll but I'd like to consider it for a second. What would you consider a moral framework, and how does it require a religion? Animals tend to care for each other and set up certain societies based on their usefulness to their place in the food chain. They don't pray to some god as far as we can tell, but they don't all rip each other to pieces. The natural order over time seems to have favored those species that have an instinctive tendency toward a certain set of moral behaviors, because cooperation is advantageous in many cases.

Growing up I have often heard people say that "knowing right from wrong" is what separates us from the beasts, but is that entirely true? Is it impossible that the moral systems we set up for ourselves had their roots in a natural progression?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

solaranus posted:

lol

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

CrashCat posted:

And in a world where society is by and large anti-atheist,

Britain is not like this and neither are pretty much any of the historically protestant parts of europe. People (except religious people obv) generally get awkward and suspicious of you if you sound interested in religion, and there are lots of people in places like Ireland and poland that really loving hate the catholic church and won't shut up about it

I ussd to listen to a lot of arvo pärt and stuff at university and my housemate tried to fix me by making me watch bill maher's religulous. lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Commie NedFlanders posted:

atheists often think that faith is a sort of declaration of beliefs, they confuse faith for dogma and don't recognize that faith is an action

faith isn't an action! Martin Luthor is so pissed at you right now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

quakster posted:

non-existence is technically false, but what little is left after death doesn't really qualify as a person

Voldemort confirmed

Extraordinary Perdition
Nov 7, 2007
Listen very closely Smoky One-bedder, for you have free-will and therefore a choice.
Either God exists, or God does not exist. Now choose.

silence

more silence

further silence

Smoky One-bedder sighs deeply. He reaches into his pocket and produces his totem. He spins it on the counter and turns away to his own personal version of happiness, content in the knowledge that he is right..

The totem spins and then

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrashCat posted:

Growing up I have often heard people say that "knowing right from wrong" is what separates us from the beasts, but is that entirely true?

yes, it is entirely true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnH_TOqi3I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

I know this is an Agag troll but I'd like to consider it for a second. What would you consider a moral framework, and how does it require a religion? Animals tend to care for each other and set up certain societies based on their usefulness to their place in the food chain. They don't pray to some god as far as we can tell, but they don't all rip each other to pieces. The natural order over time seems to have favored those species that have an instinctive tendency toward a certain set of moral behaviors, because cooperation is advantageous in many cases.

Growing up I have often heard people say that "knowing right from wrong" is what separates us from the beasts, but is that entirely true? Is it impossible that the moral systems we set up for ourselves had their roots in a natural progression?

I've always heard the tag ling "That's what separates us from the beasts" attached to a lot of things, not sure its specifically a morality thing. I like to think it's our ability to think in the abstract that has allowed us to separate ourselves from the beasts. There is also the possibility to consider that working together for survival doesn't necessarily constitute a morality system in effect. I think perhaps people think wise decisions to mean moral ones, at least for people, as the person doing the 'immoral' thing can feel regret after discovering it was a bad thing to do; suggesting that they may not have understood the implications their actions would have. Oppositely, however, there is the notion that they only feel guilt because they have been ostracized for their actions which could have left them excommunicated from the tribe and left to die alone.

• Locked thread