Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

this is a concession on the point I was actually making, so thank you, I'm glad you came around and am sorry for being so cynical about your motives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

mdm posted:

drag shows and public sex aren't exactly defense mechanisms

actually they are because they created a sense of belonging among a class of people who were oppressed. the gay culture also reveres certain dance-able music much in the same way as the black person under slavery revered the negro spiritual as a way to cope with a climate of fear and hopelessness

this is also why gay clubs and black clubs are full of genuine fun, community, and enthusiasm whereas straight clubs are boring as gently caress and lame

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

poz my neg hole

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Morkies posted:

this is a concession on the point I was actually making, so thank you, I'm glad you came around and am sorry for being so cynical about your motives

there is no god gay culture

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
it's the existance of the culture, not the specific practices, that is a Defense Mechanism

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
can we start calling men who have sex with men cultureless gays I feel like this group is a minority that should be ridiculed

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

mdm posted:

there is no god gay culture

I'm sorry your autism fixated on this minor semantic point

Maybe when I'm not on my phone I'll spell this out to you in detail

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Morkies posted:

:ironicat:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

cuck

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
sometimes a man just likes to see his wife plowed by a dude, but he doesn't identify with cuck culture, which has a rich and detailed history based on years of societal and sometimes legal pressure

can we in good faith call him a cuckold?

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Yeah, I was being really stupid when I tried to engage with your deeply confused worldview instead of just calling you a dagger from the start.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Morkies posted:

Yeah, I was being really stupid when I tried to engage with your deeply confused worldview instead of just calling you a dagger from the start.

dude you called me autistic for making a joke about the thread title lol

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

mdm posted:

dude you called me autistic for making a joke about the thread title lol

it was an unfunny joke, so the autism hypothesis still fits imo

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Morkies posted:

it was an unfunny joke

welcome to the thread

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

mdm posted:

welcome to the thread

better, lol

re:ssaab "my worldview stands outside history and can be deduced from reason alone, it is not in any way shape or form a mutated off brand of protestantism"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

TEAYCHES posted:

poz my neg hole

Jerkcity taught me everything I know about gay people.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

the shared experience of being a homosexual in the united states created a culture as a defense mechanism against repression, also as a way of identifying eachother during a time when it wasnt ok to be "out"

is it cultural appropriation for a straight man to have random homosexual encounters

asking for a friend

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Morkies posted:

i think that type of "autism" is generally known as pedantry

ashgromnies posted:

is it cultural appropriation for a straight man to have random homosexual encounters

asking for a friend
nah. fuckin' is straight up bodily functions. tell your friend he can go hog wild

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ashgromnies posted:

asking for a friend

its more like fulfilling dreams

full filling dreams

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I've learned something from this thread. God is gay, and that's ok. :unsmith:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

a real slam dunk posted:

More likely than a biblically literal interpretation of Jesus? Yeah. Because the canonical scripture is rife with inconsistency, and his existence is barely mentioned in other historical documents, which strikes me as strange when he supposedly sent the previously dead up and walking through the streets. I would have written that poo poo down. And there were historians writing poo poo down at the time.

More likely than it being a myth built up around a mystic who started himself a cult? Naw, I'm 50/50 on that.

What's this goony obsession with consistency? Reality is paradoxical whenever you look closely at it. It's contradictions all the way down.

Also myths are often more true than history and Mystics are correct.

This seems like the Muslim version of Jesus, a great and influential and godly man, a prophet even, but not divine.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

XMNN posted:

is that thing about there being more historical evidence for Jesus than Julius Caesar still going

because that always seemed a bit implausible to me

Its based on number of surviving manuscripts in which each is mentioned. Its a stupid metric to use and proves nothing, but Evangelicals being it up a lot.

TEAYCHES posted:

actually they are because they created a sense of belonging among a class of people who were oppressed. the gay culture also reveres certain dance-able music much in the same way as the black person under slavery revered the negro spiritual as a way to cope with a climate of fear and hopelessness

this is also why gay clubs and black clubs are full of genuine fun, community, and enthusiasm whereas straight clubs are boring as gently caress and lame

Also gay churches.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The truth is... we've been had. The whole thing was a setup from the beginning! We were always meant to be damned and cast out of Eden, why else would god have bothered to create quasars and underground caves and poo poo no one would ever see or know about? So the real questions is what kind of sick motherfucker would create this elaborate scenario and then sentence us to hell and on top of that make us feel guilty about it.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

XMNN posted:

if you want to stare into the face of god id recommend nitrous oxide it feels so profound and meaningful and everything is so beautiful you cant really put it into words for about a minute and a half and then youre back in the room

works well with all other drugs too

8/10 comes in steel canisters and is a greenhouse gas so i cant give it a perfect score but its good

Doesn't work for me like that anymore, I mean I still encounter God but it's no longer the ineffable Union typical of shamanistic mysticism. Now if you give me drugs like that it will start giving me the feeling of closeness with the God of Abaraham and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, distinctly and clearly. I find myself drawn to the Law.

Last time I tried that, I was reading the bible and transcribing lots of it and giving my life a sort of surgery with the scalple of the Word.

It's p cool if you wanna try I recommend praying for thanks, praying for forgiveness, and praying for God to open your heart even if you are unsure about it. Then do whatever you do to your brain and try reading The Sermon on the Mount in the book of Matthew.

Fair warning, this may not be God's plan for you and if it's not He may let you know and it may not be pleasant. God can be VERY scary :ohdear:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

The truth is... we've been had. The whole thing was a setup from the beginning! We were always meant to be damned and cast out of Eden, why else would god have bothered to create quasars and underground caves and poo poo no one would ever see or know about? So the real questions is what kind of sick motherfucker would create this elaborate scenario and then sentence us to hell and on top of that make us feel guilty about it.

Ever try to explain a really adult thing (such as the joy of self sacrifice and hard work being superior to the pleasure of selfish hedonism) to a child of about 6 years old?

I often think these types of criticisms are like the child arguing with the adult that it's stupid to follow rules eating ice cream all day is the highest bliss

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

InterFaced posted:

Dick Dorkins :smug:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Doesn't work for me like that anymore, I mean I still encounter God but it's no longer the ineffable Union typical of shamanistic mysticism. Now if you give me drugs like that it will start giving me the feeling of closeness with the God of Abaraham and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, distinctly and clearly. I find myself drawn to the Law.

Last time I tried that, I was reading the bible and transcribing lots of it and giving my life a sort of surgery with the scalple of the Word.

It's p cool if you wanna try I recommend praying for thanks, praying for forgiveness, and praying for God to open your heart even if you are unsure about it. Then do whatever you do to your brain and try reading The Sermon on the Mount in the book of Matthew.

Fair warning, this may not be God's plan for you and if it's not He may let you know and it may not be pleasant. God can be VERY scary :ohdear:

Looks like I found my plans for the weekend. Datura grows all around my house. I should eat some of that and read the bible and see which police station god sends me to.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

What's this goony obsession with consistency?

Because the most basic way of discerning whether a statement merits further investigation is if it (A) is consistent with itself, and (B) is consistent with the outside evidence surrounding the assertion(s) it makes?

A guy walks up to you and says he is an eight-foot-tall wallaby named "Kevin". He then says that he is King Olaf of Sweden. Your sense of sight lets you evaluate whether he is eight feet tall and/or a wallaby. The driver's license in his wallet lets you evaluate the likelihood of his name being "Kevin" or "Olaf" or neither. If those two avenues of inquiry don't lead you to a conclusion about whether or not the man is telling the truth, you can always call the Swedish embassy (or look on the internet) to learn that there has never been a King Olaf of Sweden, and that the last monarch with a similar name, "Olof Skötkonung" has been dead for almost a thousand years. So, either he is a dead Swede who doesn't know how to spell his own name, or he's an eight-foot-tall wallaby and your sense of sight is failing you, or he is lying and/or mentally-ill. You get to pick which one seems most likely.

quote:

Reality is paradoxical whenever you look closely at it. It's contradictions all the way down.

Could you provide some examples, please?

quote:

Also myths are often more true than history and Mystics are correct.

Rad. Got examples of this?

quote:

This seems like the Muslim version of Jesus, a great and influential and godly man, a prophet even, but not divine.

I don't think arsd was making claims about Jesus' greatness, godliness, or prophetic abilities.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ever try to explain a really adult thing (such as the joy of self sacrifice and hard work being superior to the pleasure of selfish hedonism) to a child of about 6 years old?

I often think these types of criticisms are like the child arguing with the adult that it's stupid to follow rules eating ice cream all day is the highest bliss

I'm old enough to recognize Stockholm Syndrome. You suck up to an evil deity, I think I wanna hear what that Lucifer fellow has to say because this story we've been fed is pure bullshit. I'm taking the red pill.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
God is a retarded little human being and I want to gently caress His rear end.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

budgieinspector posted:

Because the most basic way of discerning whether a statement merits further investigation is if it (A) is consistent with itself, and (B) is consistent with the outside evidence surrounding the assertion(s) it makes?

I always hear about supposed inconsistencies in the Scripture, but I have yet to see one that wasn't explained in some basic theologic text a thousand years ago fully in line with the overall Christian phiosophy.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
If not believing in something for which you have no proof is faith then are we all part of the religion of people who don't believe politicians are lizard people and santa doesn't exist?
I saw the thread go in circles a bunch of times but I just can fundamentally not understand how saying "I don't believe in god because there's no evidence in favor of their existence but should you provide proof of somesort I'd be willing to admit I was wrong" constitutes any faith on my part. Everyone's like "atheism isn't falsifiable!" well yeah it is, you just have to offer evidence of the existence of god and bam it's been disproven like that. The belief in god isn't falsifiable because there's no real way to prove conclusively that god doesn't exist, you could always handwave away a lack of evidence as our poor ability to measure it, but the belief that there is no god could be readily shown to be wrong should a god actually exist.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

PenguinBob posted:

God is a retarded little human being and I want to gently caress His rear end.

Gay for God.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ArbitraryC posted:

. Everyone's like "atheism isn't falsifiable!" well yeah it is, you just have to offer evidence of the existence of god and bam it's been disproven like that.

This is pointless, any proof of god is metaphysical, while atheism requires physical evidence. There's no space for argument.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

steinrokkan posted:

This is pointless, any proof of god is metaphysical, while atheism requires physical evidence. There's no space for argument.

the perfect crime

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

God is all powerful though, there is nothing stopping god (should they exist) from simply appearing before us and doing godly poo poo. That would disprove atheism immediately. And it's not like people haven't tried to use science to prove god exists too, there was those whole "weight of a soul" experiments, it's theoretically possible at somepoint we will find evidence of something that goes beyond our understanding of the material world. While that by itself wouldn't necessarily prove there was a god, it could at least be considered evidence that there might be.

It's straight up impossible to prove god doesn't exist, but it is hypothetically possible to provide evidence in favor of god it's just that we don't have any.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ArbitraryC posted:

God is all powerful though, there is nothing stopping god (should they exist) from simply appearing before us and doing godly poo poo.

That's not consistent with at the very least Roman Catholic theology. Acording to it the only direct manifestation of God in observable phenomena is the fact of their existence, which is inherited from God (a thing an't be the source of its own existence - God is the only exception, in a way, except his existence has no source). In fact, according to the Catholic Church, God = Existence is the most authoritative statement that can be said about him and his powers wrt. to the creation.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

That's not consistent with at the very least Roman Catholic theology. Acording to it the only direct manifestation of God in observable phenomena is the fact of their existence, which is inherited from God (a thing an't be the source of its own existence - God is the only exception, in a way, except his existence has no source). In fact, according to the Catholic Church, God = Existence is the most authoritative statement that can be said about him and his powers wrt. to the creation.
If you're going with a "well everything is god" definition then there's not really a god in the first place.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also God can't affect the creation post hoc, that's reasoned in one of the earliest chapters of Aquinas' Summa, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ArbitraryC posted:

If you're going with a "well everything is god" definition then there's not really a god in the first place.

No, that's not it. God is a distinct entity, which has its own essence. But it's essence equals its being, or it's existence. That sets it apart from all other beings, who participate their being from some preceding principle or preceding being, i.e. they inherit their existence from a previous or more general existing entity.

In short, God is separate from creation, but is explicitly described as the simplest being because as a being it can't be described with anything else than that it is, and is prior to other things.

From that should be pretty obvious that the idea of God as an active agent who could easily act in some way to prove himself to humanity is, in the Catholic concept, not just problematic, but also absurd.

• Locked thread