Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Didn;t know Eazy died of AIDS, hosed up that the government would kill a man like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

straight outta good ideas for a movie

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

a retard posted:

menace ii society also invented the "hold your gun sideways" thing

and probably even more popularized when it was spoofed in Don't Be a Menace

fyodor posted:

"yea they got eazy e's eyeballs in the basement storage of the hospital where he died" -thing said constantly by dudes in the 90s

I guess Eazy-E's balls are the hip hop equivalent of Einstein's brain.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

afeelgoodpoop posted:

the funniest thing about it is the sjws that celebrate it while having hypersensitive moral systems that say poo poo like you cant have sex while drunk or its rape.

meanwhile i grew up in a mostly black area with coke gang problems which had such enriching experiences like both of my sisters being gang raped on the school bus in middleschool, my brother having life long problems from bone fractures he got from getting beaten so badly, and my mind being demented from all the violence, death threats, murders, and rape that happened to people i grew up with. yea lets celebrate that!

idk what you're talking about re the SJWs who are so insane they say 'all drunk sex = rape' (although obv if you are sober and gently caress a hosed up girl that's kind of sleazy and rapey for sure and if she is passed out then yeah it's rape) but at the same time celebrate gang culture

but I will say I think you're missing the point if you think this movie is just a celebration of gang culture. If anything the whole movie is about how hosed it is to live like that and how the only way out is to hope you hit the lottery whether it be the literal lottery or the lottery of being a music artist or sports pro.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 24, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

idk what you're talking about re the SJWs who are so insane they say 'all drunk sex = rape' (although obv if you are sober and gently caress a hosed up girl that's kind of sleazy and rapey for sure and if she is passed out then yeah it's rape)

but I will say I think you're missing the point if you think this movie is just a celebration of gang culture.

A whole lot of idiots who want to glorify gang culture (moronic pre-teens and teenagers) are seeing it exactly as that. But really that poo poo's on their parents for letting them run out and watch poo poo without proper supervision and context. Personally I thought it was a good movie that had a message and that beating the poo poo out of a 90s radio DJ is a pretty reasonable thing to do.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

A whole lot of idiots who want to glorify gang culture (moronic pre-teens and teenagers) are seeing it exactly as that. But really that poo poo's on their parents for letting them run out and watch poo poo without proper supervision and context. Personally I thought it was a good movie that had a message and that beating the poo poo out of a 90s radio DJ is a pretty reasonable thing to do.

fair enough but to judge something based on the idiots that misinterpret or idiot fans is unfair is all. movie is good and at no point did I think it glorified gang culture.

if anything it portrayed Suge Knight as a hosed up person and idk who'd want to emulate that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I wish we had reliable narrators for this bio pic. Perfectly fine movie 8/10. A lot of people are going to hate it just cause they can hate it but whatever.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

echronorian posted:

Dr gay more like

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

the funniest thing about it is the sjws that celebrate it while having hypersensitive moral systems that say poo poo like you cant have sex while drunk or its rape.

meanwhile i grew up in a mostly black area with coke gang problems which had such enriching experiences like both of my sisters being gang raped on the school bus in middleschool, my brother having life long problems from bone fractures he got from getting beaten so badly, and my mind being demented from all the violence, death threats, murders, and rape that happened to people i grew up with. yea lets celebrate that!

what you need is to relax with a feelgood poop.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Risky posted:

straight outta condoms

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
this movie is about a bunch of self-made millionaires, and also mc ren and dj yella were there too i guess

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

so how did eaze e get AIDS anyway?
There have been quite a few comedy replies here on the Somethingawful.com forums, but historians say it's cause big dicks in yo rear end is bad for yo health.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Straight outta street cred

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I kept thinking nobody in the movie could act and I really wanted to be watching Boyz N The Hood instead but I have to watch this because people say it's good but I'm still waiting for it to get good but it never does. Well that's my review.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
this movie didnt celebrate gang culture at all, they literally monologue that out to you during the scene with the gangbanger on the school bus. i'm guessing most of the people who say it celebrates gang culture didnt actually see it but whatevs

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

afeelgoodpoop posted:

For me, the most upsetting part of Straight outta Compton is that the scene where the Bloods get on the school bus, they didn't gang rape all the kids to show the audience how bad the ghetto is. Quite the oversight by the director.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I liked the part where a forced integration program did loving wonders for a young ice cube. Wasn't even hamfisted or preachy.

gently caress some parts of the movie really loving smart and good and others were just so loving meh.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 25, 2015

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

After the movie I took a poo poo that came straight outta my butthole. :tipshat:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

FIRST TIME posted:

I just re-watched Boyz n the Hood recently and it is kind of like an after school special but not necessarily in a bad way. It was a pretty good balance of "hey, check out this hardcore gangster movie" balanced with some heavy handed talk about gentrification, gender roles, AIDS, drugs, and violence. It helps that it had a lot of very talented actors in it as well.

Compare it to Menace II Society which was mostly just "hood movie" with a little bit of a message tacked on so sloppily that most people probably missed the point. The only thing the lead actor in that movie ever did after that was a lovely FMV CYOA game. Retsuprae did a pretty good longplay RP of it that's worth watching.

it isn't as good as Don't Be Menace to South Central While Drinkin Your Juice in da Hood

:c00lbert:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Don't be a Menace is the best out of all those movies as far as rewatchability goes. Like I've seen Juice once and Don't be a Menace maybe like 8 times.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Un chien andalou posted:

why they ain't show Dre slappin' Dee Barnes?

Dre only slapped around the girls he kinda liked

he loved the poo poo outta Dee Barnes

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

echronorian posted:

Dr gay more like

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I would have enjoyed the movie more if it was about white people.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I would have enjoyed the movie more if it was about white people.

perhaps Jamie Kennedy's classic "Malibu's Most Wanted" is more your speed

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
has anyone said "straight outta good ideas for movies" yet?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!
How can a mothafucka be proud bein' from Compton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e11jxuAycYw

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Hammurabi posted:

has anyone said "straight outta good ideas for movies" yet?

First or second page, word for word.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

How can a mothafucka be proud bein' from Compton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e11jxuAycYw

has to be the whitest video ever

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

raditts posted:

perhaps Jamie Kennedy's classic "Malibu's Most Wanted" is more your speed

Probably more factual, I bet :c00lbert:

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

it's a pretty good film. the first half hour drags a bit and doesn't have particularly good dialogue but it picks up, and the Eazy decline stuff is a bit insubstantial and doesn't hit as well as it should but it's pretty good. i was just kinda disappointed that it was so loving sanitised. for one of the most subversive and controversial groups of the last 30 years they sure released an almost completely inoffensive movie. i was hoping it'd at least be a bit candid but it was like the only reason they even admitted Eazy had some negative character traits was that he was too dead to protest

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
CB4 it ain't

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

mods change my name to STAB MASTER ARSON

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
straight outta compton? more like straight outta good ideas for movies am i right?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

tvayisnihyaami posted:

black people doing gangsta stuff cool so raw academy award best picture

Would be racist if it didnt win awards.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Faux Mulder posted:

it's a pretty good film. the first half hour drags a bit and doesn't have particularly good dialogue but it picks up, and the Eazy decline stuff is a bit insubstantial and doesn't hit as well as it should but it's pretty good. i was just kinda disappointed that it was so loving sanitised. for one of the most subversive and controversial groups of the last 30 years they sure released an almost completely inoffensive movie. i was hoping it'd at least be a bit candid but it was like the only reason they even admitted Eazy had some negative character traits was that he was too dead to protest

Wasn't Dr. Dre involved in its production? No big surprise that it had little to nothing negative to say about them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Faux Mulder posted:

Yeah where was dre beatin on michele

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
heard theres no raping, so much for historical accuracy

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Oh and beatin the poo poo out of dee barnes

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
It was "That Thing You Do" but with black people, and Liv Tyler's part was played by Suge Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
dre's song about just talkin to his diary made me think of a little pink diary with a tiny lock and a key he keeps on a charm bracelet and a note on the outside that says LAPD KEEP OUT! THIS MEANS YOU DARYL

• Locked thread