Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/07/08/3-on-your-side-many-millennials-would-quit-if-not-allowed-to-do-personal-tasks-at-work/

Jim Donovan posted:

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Many millennials have never known a world without mobile devices. Now employers are forced to deal with younger workers who want to be able to text and use social media on the job. 3 On Your Side Consumer Reporter Jim Donovan looks at how this group is blurring the lines between work time and personal time.

Twenty-five-year-old Jonathan Perez always has his smartphone by his side at work. He says it makes juggling his job and his personal life easier. In fact, younger workers have spent most of their life with mobile technology at their fingertips and according to a new survey from MobilIron most don’t want to stop texting or using social media at work.

Sixty percent of workers 18-34 say if their boss prevented them from using a mobile device to take care of personal tasks, they would quit!

Ojas Rege, Vice President of Strategy of MobileIron says, “Any employer that is looking to recruit this next generation of work force is absolutely going to have to understand these trends and respond to them. Otherwise they are going to lose the best employees of the future.”

The company where Jonathan Perez works, analytics firm AD 60, is adapting to this new reality. Managing Partner Alex Matjanec lets employees use their devices but regulates how much. He says, “I think there is a cultural shift needed to allow this technology to be ingrained into your workforce, but how do you control that in a way that’s going to drive productivity is the learning experience we are going through right now.” Matjanec says his workers are mostly allowed to work on their own terms as long as they get all their work done.

There’s even a name for this. It’s called “shadow tasking”. It’s when you use your technology, your cell phone, iPad etc. to conduct personal business during work hours, or work business on your time off. About two-thirds of those surveyed say they’ve felt guilty for doing it at one time or another.

im gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
they should just have ur mom give u work on your phone and she sends u a text like omg i need you to pmake some spreadsheets and ur like heh stupid boss im gonna do this personal poo poo and boom you just did work

gotcha

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Like hell I'm going to stop dicking around on my phone while I'm stuck waiting 3 hours for the computer to run the simulation it took me 10 minutes to set up. If my employer wanted me to be efficient, they'd pay me per task.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

what the hell is this

every place I've worked every single jerkoff working there, age 17 to 65, was pissing around on their phone every second their bosses weren't eyeing them directly. it's not a millennial thing, it's an "owning a phone" thing

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

also: im gay

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Gilganixon posted:

what the hell is this

every place I've worked every single jerkoff working there, age 17 to 65, was pissing around on their phone every second their bosses weren't eyeing them directly. it's not a millennial thing, it's an "owning a phone" thing

lol wut this doesn't fit the narrative of "i was born after the baby boomers and now they're retired and im a manager and my wageslaves aren't on task every millisecond unlike apparently every human that was born prior to 1980, because im a simplistic retard"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Paging Dad Gay. So What to the thread. Paging Dad Gay. So What.

When DGSW was building bathyspheres for NASA, a millennial shat in his cereal bowl while texting.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
*boss does 1 day of actual work a week*
*gets to use the internet with no history scrutiny or site blocks in their office*
*gets paid 20x what the rest of the employees make*
*complains that millenials are on the phone all the time, even if their work is getting done*

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

they should just have ur mom give u work on your phone and she sends u a text like omg i need you to pmake some spreadsheets and ur like heh stupid boss im gonna do this personal poo poo and boom you just did work

gotcha

i need a new head of hr and i like ypur gumption. fax me your cv asap

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

The Whole Internet posted:

*complains that millenials are on the phone all the time, even if their work is getting done*

"what the gently caress, this millennial unpaid intern is loving on their phone their whole 18 minute lunch break, wtf do they even do here" *can't actually use software critical to business success and relies on subordinates to produce results*

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Whole Internet posted:

*boss does 1 day of actual work a week*
*gets to use the internet with no history scrutiny or site blocks in their office*
*gets paid 20x what the rest of the employees make*

repent quit you're job slack off praise "bob" in that order

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A millennial was rude to a shopkeep earlier today. I expect it was because they have no social skills from being on the internet all day.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I saw a millennial walk into a telephone pole today. I was like, "watch out!" But he didn't hear me because of his ear buds. He bounced off the pole, changing direction like a pinball and his eyes never wavered from his phone.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Is Jim Donovan the millenial verson of Ric Romero? I think yes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I saw a millennial wearing bad fashion. "Maybe next time don't get your fashion tips from Tumblr!" I mumbled under my breath as I rolled my eyes at him.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Applewhite posted:

A millennial was rude to a shopkeep earlier today. I expect it was because they have no social skills from being on the internet all day.

a rude teenager? only fuckin millennials! :rolleyes:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I read in the news about a millennial who got in a car accident because of texting while driving. We don't have self-driving cars yet, buddy! Maybe if you'd stop sucking Google's dick for five minutes you could keep your eyes on the road.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Before Millennials we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash, and Bob Hope. Now we have no jobs, no cash, and no hope

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
they dont know how to use outlook

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

Well duh, because they are always looking inwards.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Well duh, because they are always looking inwards.

or at their phones

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

*is a millennial*
*hits reply all for every email*
*won't stop looking at phone*

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I saw some millennial at the national park taking selfies with dangerous wildlife to post on the internet. Talk about oblivious. Good way to get gored buddy, I thought.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i need a new head of hr and i like ypur gumption. fax me your cv asap

ok but just to warn you its mostly doodles about gliding around

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Applewhite posted:

I read in the news about a millennial who got in a car accident because of texting while driving. We don't have self-driving cars yet, buddy! Maybe if you'd stop sucking Google's dick for five minutes you could keep your eyes on the road.

I'll have you know I got in a car accident fifteen years ago while messing with my cell phone, so tell those god damned millennials they didn't invent negligent driving.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

millenials have seen more boobs through text messages than your old rear end could ever dream

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im too busy buying stocks to worry about boobs right now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

their music is poo poo and full of miscegenation.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Saw a millennial transcend into a being of radiant light on the subway the other day. Very inconsiderate!
What ever happened to the ways of the flesh, amirite?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

get off ur phones millennials

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Questions Millennials ask:

"Why is a monitor above a certain size called a TV?"

"What is that symbol on the 'answer call' button on my phone supposed to represent?"

"What's this tray that pops out of my dad's old computer?"

"What's the 'save button' a picture of?"

"What is that bright, hot light in the sky?"

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I for one look forward to what new unreasonable, draconian measures companies will invent to destroy what sliver of outside human contact their younger employees have.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Applewhite posted:

"What's the 'cut button' a picture of?"

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

````whats for brunch'''

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lol, maybe they would recognize it if they got a haircut once in a while :rolleyes:

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
At least they post well thought out and humorous references to childrens cartoons of the early 2000's. Oh man, I DO remember that extremely popular cartoon from 8 years ago. Hahaha, what a funny post. Too bad I was not a child of the 90's, for whilst I recognize that cartoon for I too was alive during that period, I was not a child. drat shame, it looks like a lot of fun is being had!!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hello? You hoo!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
:qq: -- millennials everywhere

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

what's the 411 on kik? i hear all the millennials are on it but every time i try to look at the home page my eyes involuntarily go all cross eyed. is it drugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Kix was a good cereal.

• Locked thread