Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Problem description: Today I had a Comcast rep over to fix an issue we were having with our connection, and while he was here he ran a speed test on my desktop and noticed the upload speed was significantly below what our service was supposed to provide us. He then ran a similar test on his phone, my phone, and my laptop, all of which had much faster speeds. Specifically, my desktop is uploading at roughly 2.51 mbps according to Speedtest.net, and each of those devices is somewhere between 11-13 mbps.

He suggested that it's an issue with my network card or my desktop's connection (my desktop is wired, unlike our other devices). Are those the only two possible culprits? I don't have an extra ethernet cord long enough to test right now and as far as I'm aware my network card is a part of my motherboard so I'd likely have to replace that entirely if that was the issue, and I'd like to rule out possible issues before I started spending money. If it is the network card, is that something I can replace, or buy a new/separate one or whatever, without replacing my entire motherboard? Thanks.

Attempted fixes: Nothing yet.

Recent changes: We got a new modem from Comcast today, but the issue existed on the old one too apparently.

--

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 8

System specs: Home built:
- Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz
- 8 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
- ASROCK|H97M PRO4 LGA 1150 R motherboard
- Corsair TX650 power supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I didn't find much but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
You could look for a PCI version of the Intel CT wired adapter, but your board already has an Intel I218-V LAN adapter built in. I'd swap in a new adapter if nothing else works but I'd expect it's a driver issue at worst.

Try updating the drivers from here (latest Win 8 version) :
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/71305/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I218-V

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have any non-Microsoft antivirus/firewall/Internet security software? If so, uninstall it completely (not just disable) and re-test. Your Intel onboard LAN is already the best in the business so replacing it wouldn't help anything.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Alereon was correct, it was one of my firewall programs. Thanks a lot everyone.

• Locked thread