Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Wired did an autopsy of the Hugo awards and the sad puppies/rabid puppies ballot stuffing thing that has been going on in months past:

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/won-science-fictions-hugo-awards-matters/

It's a good read if you're a nerd, and let's face it, you probably are.

However, while the author touches on a lot of good points, she doesn't go far enough I think. In my opinion women, lesbians, gays, trans and PoC deserve unquestioning support by any left-thinking, empathetic person with even a pretense at social consciousness. For too long, straight, white men have dominated the fields of literature in general and science-fiction in particular, and as a matter of consequence, not merit, aesthetics nor quality; they should not be granted these nor any other awards or accolades. It is time to strike a decisive blow against the patriarchy by taking over science-fiction and fantasy writing.

Because of their primitive thinking about sexuality, skin-color and one failed X chromosome, it is justified to treat straight white men in this fashion. Their works of writing or art are intrinsically valueless, poisoned by their toxic hegemonic masculinity.

In fact, the works of white straight men can seldom be valued as anything other than evidence of their ideological failings. Orson Scott Card ANYONE!!!???

And as a rule of thumb (and I detest that phrase because of it's origins, as you may well know, but that's how serious I am) if the work in question was written by a woman or a member of an oppressed race or sexual preference, the work is subversive and counterhegemonic and to be trusted implicitly as a work of art of the highest order.

And just before anyone gets any ideas about credintials, my left passport is that I am a lesbian Latina trans woman living in Idaho. My areas of expertise include comic books, witches, trans issues and pop culture. I have an English Degree, a cat named Sawyer, a tumblr that I use a lot and a twitter that I only use occasionally.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rnFlQAvk8U

Fluo fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 25, 2015

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
welcome

Fluo
May 25, 2007

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is using WoC/PoC racist yet?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiyLtMPuWRA

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

excellent post i read the whole thing, every word of it

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
What are the origins of that phrase (re: thumb). This is very important.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
America deserved 9/11

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Harald posted:

America deserved 9/11

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kuato posted:

What are the origins of that phrase (re: thumb). This is very important.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
i agree that liberalism has no value

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
my dog died on 9/11, that phrase is really triggering to me as he was a good dog aside from the fact he was getting rabid and i couldn't even pet him anymore near the end because he hated all humans (although tbqh i can't blame him for hating humans, what a bunch of pieces of poo poo!)

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kuato posted:

my dog died on 9/11, that phrase is really triggering to me as he was a good dog aside from the fact he was getting rabid and i couldn't even pet him anymore near the end because he hated all humans (although tbqh i can't blame him for hating humans, what a bunch of pieces of poo poo!)

what was his name

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

counterfeitsaint posted:

You can pronounce them "wock" and "pock"

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kuato posted:

sorry,

unless he worked in the twin towers or the pentagon I feel bad for him

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Kumo posted:

Wired did an autopsy of the Hugo awards and the sad puppies/rabid puppies ballot stuffing thing that has been going on in months past:

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/won-science-fictions-hugo-awards-matters/

It's a good read if you're a nerd, and let's face it, you probably are.

However, while the author touches on a lot of good points, she doesn't go far enough I think. In my opinion women, lesbians, gays, trans and PoC deserve unquestioning support by any left-thinking, empathetic person with even a pretense at social consciousness. For too long, straight, white men have dominated the fields of literature in general and science-fiction in particular, and as a matter of consequence, not merit, aesthetics nor quality; they should not be granted these nor any other awards or accolades. It is time to strike a decisive blow against the patriarchy by taking over science-fiction and fantasy writing.

Because of their primitive thinking about sexuality, skin-color and one failed X chromosome, it is justified to treat straight white men in this fashion. Their works of writing or art are intrinsically valueless, poisoned by their toxic hegemonic masculinity.

In fact, the works of white straight men can seldom be valued as anything other than evidence of their ideological failings. Orson Scott Card ANYONE!!!???

And as a rule of thumb (and I detest that phrase because of it's origins, as you may well know, but that's how serious I am) if the work in question was written by a woman or a member of an oppressed race or sexual preference, the work is subversive and counterhegemonic and to be trusted implicitly as a work of art of the highest order.

And just before anyone gets any ideas about credintials, my left passport is that I am a lesbian Latina trans woman living in Idaho. My areas of expertise include comic books, witches, trans issues and pop culture. I have an English Degree, a cat named Sawyer, a tumblr that I use a lot and a twitter that I only use occasionally.

:smug:

im gonna kick Sawyer in the dick

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
thats why watching the stock market today is so funny

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Harald posted:

sorry,

unless he worked in the twin towers or the pentagon I feel bad for him

his name was Fat Boy, was a Saint Bernard mix, he didn't work there, he didn't really have any marketable job skills or know any known languages and had no real identity so to speak (still better job prospects than a liberal arts major though, that's for sure)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Had these people been born earlier, they would be heading a letter-writing campaignto stop Star Trek from having "coloured people" on it.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I only read posts written by People of Colo(u)r, sorry.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

RaceBannon posted:

I only read posts written by People of Colo(u)r, sorry.

but how do you know? do you go by avatars?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

solid finish, good message

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

That Robot posted:

You can pronounce them "wock" and "pock"

In my head I read it as Pirates of the Caribbean.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
counterpoint: Bitcoin

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
i just see whaaaa i didn't win it's obviously not because I couldn't write well enough it must be that I'm oppressed because they won't hand me the award my mom told me I deserve

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

counterfeitsaint posted:

Always has been, imo

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

BuckarooBanzai posted:

counterpoint: Bitcoin

it may be funny, but its still 'oh you crazy whites' funny

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
hellthread mk IVIVIVVIVIVXXXVIVMIMXLMOPN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA29p2e5fvk

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
generally, if you believe science is magic that is kept a secret by MEN you probably shouldnt try to write science fiction. maybe doctor who scripts would be more her speed? but then, that is only one of a truly enormous list of reasons why people shouldnt try to write science fiction.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

you've got to be dumb and gay to be noticed

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Zeike posted:

you've got to be dumb and gay to be noticed

oh that's why i noticed this post

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
i'd have sex with all of you, and youd never even give me a reach around.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

why would wired cover it, its books and wired is technology which hates books

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i fired up the old calculator and worked out that when the last harry potter book came out it sold more copies in one minute than all the people who vote in the hugos in a whole year

ie sci fi and fantasy have left the hugos behind, they are solely for sad old dickheads with spock ears now

so who cares who wins one

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
leggo my hugo

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

link in the op posted:

The Sad Puppies are certainly right that the graying of fandom is something to be concerned about. (To get a sense of the average age at Sasquan, consider this attempt at a Baen Books event to give away a few free volumes: “Any teenagers in the audience?” Baen editor and 2015 Hugo nominee Toni Weisskopf asked. No one stirred. “Anyone with teenagers at home?” She was swarmed).

lmao

hmm yes the hugos are highly relevant *fart*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Clipperton posted:

lmao

hmm yes the hugos are highly relevant *fart*

its all about the Prometheus awards

http://lfs.org/awards.shtml

fun fact: the first winner in 1979 was also the guy who created the award