Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Unguided posted:

I remember one of the old PYF lovely name threads used to probate people who posted "-" names claiming it was just a racist joke.

Yes. That's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Making fun of black people names is so ingrained that I think a lot of people sincerely don't know how racist they are being.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

you were warned posted:

Especially when it hits the fever pitch of "my mom's friend's sister's neighbor's cousin is a nurse, and she delivered twin black babies named Orangejello and Lemonjello CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!"

Even crazier when someone claims they know the person who personally witnessed it. They want it to be true so badly.

The dash don't be silent.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Have you met mein little furher? Adolf, come over here.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

This is Barrington-Levy- and her little brother, Tazer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_dwpUrWkE4

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I will maintain that white people aren't being racist simply by making fun of dumb made-up black people names if they treat dumb made-up white names the same way

if I were aware of a similar trend among arabs I would make fun of those, too

It's possible to be even handed on this issue for sure. It doesn't happen that often I think because anyone that self aware is usually also aware that all names are made up.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BigBoss posted:

All words are technically "made up" but only an ignoramus would deny black people have been leading the charge on dumb loving names for decades.

Or someone who isn't a racist

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

R'mani and Waneefa are both good names.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

don't have to go to school or write resumes or anything

I think this is what the freakonomics discussion was about but I didn't read that piece.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

This is pretty much what happened to a co-worker of mine with four month old twins. Jonathan, ok, Jaxon, not ok. Just name him Jackson. That's fine. The whole workplace worked for weeks to convince her Jackson with the X was terrible and boom, baby Jackson.

What's it like being a staff writer on Mary Worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ghlbtsk posted:

Panthers QB Cam Newton may not be white and he may not be nouveau, but he named his son Chosen.

CHOSEN

I love it.

• Locked thread