Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

YeahTubaMike posted:

i have an old person name too, i don't think it's part of a larger trend though

In 70 years children will being going to visit grandma Caytlinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Just quoting this because even though this broad is preggo, she's still hot.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't like this. White people giving their children dumb names is just appropriating black culture.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Blue Raider posted:

theres a whole chapter in freakonomics about those goofy black names thats kinda interesting but you need to take it with a bulldozer of salt like the rest of freakonomics

Their conclusion that stupid people give their kids dumb names isn't really groundbreaking or controversial. It just makes people uncomfortable to admit that sometimes, people are just idiots.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

The Sphinxster posted:

It's possible to be even handed on this issue for sure. It doesn't happen that often I think because anyone that self aware is usually also aware that all names are made up.

All words are technically "made up" but only an ignoramus would deny black people have been leading the charge on dumb loving names for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

The Sphinxster posted:

Or someone who isn't a racist

Yeah, there are a lot of "noble savage" spouting racists out there who get upset when you make fun of dumb names like R'mani (a real name, pronounced like Armani) and Waneefa (she told me she was changing it to the proper spelling of Juanita on her 18th birthday).

• Locked thread