Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why did Cribbins (the con-man from Moist Von Lipwig's sordid past) keep wearing the same set of false teeth if they caused him so much consternation and also made him easily identifiable?

Also, it seemed like Cribbins was a totally superfluous character in an otherwise tightly written story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
has your dick ever gotten caught in your zipper

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Enfield posted:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
isac asimov died of aids so

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haven't liked any of them since he stopped doing Death and Rincewind.

Death and Rincewind are the best characters.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

spud posted:

He did Death just this past year

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

spud posted:

Really? Night Watch series are my fav followed by the Moist Von Lipwig stories.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Has anyone done a Terry Pratchett tribute yet where Terry Pratchett meets death and they have a maudlin exchange before Terry is lead off into the afterlife?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Leroy Diplowski posted:

:drat:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Enfield posted:

Every. Single. Day.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Enfield posted:

yeah one time but not really bad and was able to slowly zip back down

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
be careful out there

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Leroy Diplowski posted:

:boom:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wasn't "Posta"l the last one he wrote before the dementia started?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Wasn't "Posta"l the last one he wrote before the dementia started?

Yeah that checks out.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The last few Discworld books just plummet in quality and it's really sad. I guess none of his editors wanted to upset a dying man.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The last ones aren't bad as in Harry Potter bad, they're just inoffensively mediocre and such a drop in quality that it made me kinda sad to read the last one out of some sense of obligation as an old fan. I put it down after finishing it and just went "well, it won't get any worse from hereon".

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

The last few Discworld books just plummet in quality and it's really sad. I guess none of his editors wanted to upset a dying man.

I think Unseen Academicals was the nadir, but I haven't read all of them yet.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I think I left off on "THUD". What am I in for?

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.
He started getting extremely SJW with his last couple books, like maybe he was trying to get out how he felt about racism just before he died, maybe? It was interesting that he tried to tie all the characters together into one timeline before he passed.
His last book was for his kids series, The Shephards Crown, which I'm tempted to buy just so I can see how things ended with his writing.
Time for me to pull out my book collection, I own all but Feet of Clay and Carpe Jugulum.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nekodoshi posted:

Time for me to pull out my book collection, I own all but Feet of Clay and Carpe Jugulum.

why would you ignore Vimes books

e: magpie book is p cool as well i guess

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VendaGoat posted:

A couple of books by a guy with three decades of practice in writing really snappy narrative, and a degenerative brain disease.

I've read worse books by people who weren't handicapped by a condition that destroys your memory, cognitive abilities, and language skills which is saying a lot for where Pratchett was starting from... but the last batch of books weren't great.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Has anyone done a Terry Pratchett tribute yet where Terry Pratchett meets death and they have a maudlin exchange before Terry is lead off into the afterlife?

his daughter tweeted that when he died

edit: no, it was his assistant

VendaGoat posted:

making money is readable

Applewhite posted:

I think Unseen Academicals was the nadir, but I haven't read all of them yet.

they get worse. i quit reading raising steam, but the they started to get bad before. you really shouldn't read any more

and he used to be so good

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 25, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

making money is readable

What a glaring endorsment

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Nekodoshi posted:

He started getting extremely SJW with his last couple books, like maybe he was trying to get out how he felt about racism just before he died, maybe? It was interesting that he tried to tie all the characters together into one timeline before he passed.
His last book was for his kids series, The Shephards Crown, which I'm tempted to buy just so I can see how things ended with his writing.

wish i could take a hammer and pulverize the joints of all your fingers so you can never type SJW again

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

just as a joke brah, as a joke

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nekodoshi posted:

Terry Pratchett's always been an outspoken critic of racism and he's also made a point of featuring nontraditionally beautiful protagonists.
Except when he does it it's not cloying or hypocritical at all because he has a levelheaded attitude.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Vorik posted:

just as a joke brah, as a joke

you find some wierd posts in the gay books for homos threads, like this one

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Why can't somebody put Terry's brainwaves and personality into an AI computer like Johnny Depp can do? It could carry on writing Discworld novels while Mr Pratchett retires with dignity

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
imo he got a bit heavyhanded in thud, but his brains were already damaged then, so maybe the reason was that he didn't polish his script as well as he had before. thud was also the first pratchett book that didn't make me laugh or smile even once

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I don't even remember cribbins from the book so i guess that proves your point sir

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Making Money is alright but it's basically just a retread of Going Postal, which is much better and didn't really need a sequel, never mind an identikit one.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
i'm pretty sure in going postal they literally said "HEY PEOPLE ARE USING THESE AS PROMISSORY NOTES IE PAPER MONEY" so the whole plot was already dealt with before making money came along

like it was basically just an entire book about how the gold standard is retarded and fiat money is better

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Why don't Death's teeth move?

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQXJmpwM4

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well yeah that was the plot

also snuff was real bad. raising steam was also real bad. who were the main antagonists from those books?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
all of the pictsies books were poo poo and boring

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

well yeah that was the plot

also snuff was real bad. raising steam was also real bad. who were the main antagonists from those books?

alzheimer

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zogo posted:

Why don't Death's teeth move?

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQXJmpwM4

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nekodoshi posted:

He started getting extremely SJW with his last couple books, like maybe he was trying to get out how he felt about racism just before he died, maybe?

I dunno if that's the right word, he's always been a historical fantasy kinda guy. Wasn't it just part of the underlying theme of modernization?

• Locked thread