Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hogge Wild posted:

they get worse. i quit reading raising steam, but the they started to get bad before. you really shouldn't read any more

It was downhill after Making Money, honestly. I loved Going Postal, and Making Money was a solid sequel (even if it retreads a fair amount of ground), but after that it just kind of hurt to read new books.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Snuff was awful.

Raising Steam wasn't bad, all things considered. There are some retreads but also some neat call-backs to old stuff from a billion books ago. Goblins in Snuff were pointless bullshit. Nothing about them mattered unless you're some weirdo who just HAS to know Goblins work in Discworld. Goblins in Steam were okay.

Steam didn't have a main antagonist at all, beyond just Terrorists in general, which was a good call. The lame antagonists might've been the worst part of Snuff. Vimes rampaging around a small town like some overpowered, overleveled Legendary Hero was bad. But that weird local serial killer kid had no credibility at all, Rust's nephew was pointless, and Lord Rust himself was more sad than threatening. Raising Steam didn't try to make a central antagonist at all - and that was better than trying to pull off another Carcer or Teatime and falling short.

You can say Raising Steam isn't as good as Pratchett in his prime, and that's true, but it's far from his worst book (his worst books are Rincewind books, especially the ones without Cohen in 'em, Rincewind can go eat a dick).

Snuff was just loving terrible to slog though, especially after Unseen Academicals. I just couldn't deal with another heavy-handed "racism is bad" novel, and Snuff didn't really have anything interesting outside of that message.

Raising Steam was ok, but sadly when I read it my first reaction was "this is Pratchett trying to throw in as many call backs as he can before he dies", which sadly ended up being true. I need to read it again sometime, but I'm not terribly optimistic that a second read is going to raise my opinion of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

Did I like Making Money a whole lot because I didn't read Going Postal?

Nah; Making Money is still a very good book in it's own right. However, it is also perfectly valid to say that it retreads some old ground in regards to Moist, which makes it feel a little more derivative than Going Postal did.

• Locked thread