Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why did Cribbins (the con-man from Moist Von Lipwig's sordid past) keep wearing the same set of false teeth if they caused him so much consternation and also made him easily identifiable?

Also, it seemed like Cribbins was a totally superfluous character in an otherwise tightly written story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

spud posted:

Haven't liked any of them since he stopped doing Death and Rincewind.

Death and Rincewind are the best characters.

Really? Night Watch series are my fav followed by the Moist Von Lipwig stories.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Leroy Diplowski posted:

He did Death just this past year

Has anyone done a Terry Pratchett tribute yet where Terry Pratchett meets death and they have a maudlin exchange before Terry is lead off into the afterlife?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Enfield posted:

has your dick ever gotten caught in your zipper

Every. Single. Day.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Wasn't "Posta"l the last one he wrote before the dementia started?

Yeah that checks out.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

The last few Discworld books just plummet in quality and it's really sad. I guess none of his editors wanted to upset a dying man.

I think Unseen Academicals was the nadir, but I haven't read all of them yet.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nekodoshi posted:

He started getting extremely SJW with his last couple books, like maybe he was trying to get out how he felt about racism just before he died, maybe? It was interesting that he tried to tie all the characters together into one timeline before he passed.
His last book was for his kids series, The Shephards Crown, which I'm tempted to buy just so I can see how things ended with his writing.
Time for me to pull out my book collection, I own all but Feet of Clay and Carpe Jugulum.

Terry Pratchett's always been an outspoken critic of racism and he's also made a point of featuring nontraditionally beautiful protagonists.
Except when he does it it's not cloying or hypocritical at all because he has a levelheaded attitude.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also, Moist von Lipwig supremacy.

It's really too bad such a great character got introduced so late in Terry's career.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SquadronROE posted:

To answer your question Op it is basically because Cribbins didn't really have the money or desire to get better fitting teeth. Dental science in the Discworld mythology hasn't really proceeded that far, and to be honest false teeth have to be hand made specially, and then only as an absolute last resort.

See "Unseen Academicals" pp. 100-105

Additionally, Cribbins' own need to be unique has driven him to identify with his teeth. They are misplaced in his mouth in the same way he is misplaced in this world - struggling to find a place or purpose. Indeed, at points Cribbins himself thinks the world may be better without him in it. Like his mouth would be better without the teeth in it.

Wow. That's very insightful. Thx!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SquadronROE posted:

It's quite simple actually. The author simultaneously wanted to showcase the childlike glee we all feel when going into a bank and really being involved with money, while at the same time instantiating the dread of the financial sector that looms over all of us. What represents childlike glee and dread at the same time? A clown.

You're v. good at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SquadronROE posted:

Dr. Squadron, ROE pHd.

Was there any special symbolism in Stanley's obsession with pins in Going Postal or was it just a random thing to establish he had an obsessive personality that was fertile ground for him becoming the first stamp collector?

• Locked thread