Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kurtofan posted:

I don't think the "tumblr class" has any influence whatsoever on what's going on in Latin America.

Maduro is my headmate.

edit: godamn that's a terrible first post for a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

It's impossible to tell, but judging by actions I think that's a possibility.

Then again Chavez also tried a military Coup before that and wanted to seize power by force, so my personal views on it is that he was after power and idolization since the beginning.

While I understand how you could read my post as "power corrupts" or "you see yourself as the hero long enough you live to see yourself become the villain", but that isn't what I implied. I feel that it was the PSUV's end goal to always be elected unopposed (whether that is by dictatorship or just having decades of a strong voting base *see Liberal Democratic Party of Japan*). The PSUV likely saw democracy as a means to wiggle their fingers into the government and secure their agenda rather than advertising their agenda to voters and letting them chose in a free and (most of all) fair manner.

There are two faces politcal parties have. The first face is when they are dealt with significant competition. It is easy to see why any party will avoid authoritarian tendencies when faced with a competitive opposition. The second face is when a party has a firm majority without any competition. This is often when a party shows its true face. I assume when PSUV garnered a firm majority of the population's support is when they transferred from occasionally setting off red flags, to truly going off the wall.

M. Discordia posted:

Every American campus slacktivist thinks he would be a commissar or official anime appraiser after the revolution. They don't realize that they would be shot for being bourgeois decadent intellectuals after refusing to report to the coal mines. Anything that throws some reality at the people cheering on Venezuela's suffering from afar in between their 12-hour Xbox Live sessions is good.

This is the new Latin American colonalism -- instead of being dehumanized into a continent of banana exporters by the American military, they are now dehumanized into a continent of leftist rhetoric exporters by the American Tumblr class. It's still the same "you must all suffer in perpetuity for my enjoyment" attitude.
What the hell are you talking about?

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Maduro is my headmate.

edit: godamn that's a terrible first post for a new page.

It's actually a perfect avatar and post match when you think about it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 11, 2015

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I've been reading some of the reaction to yesterday's sentencing and one point that stands out and I think is worth thinking about is what we saw yesterday in that courtroom was not a verdict but rather the completion of an order from on high. Given the complete lack of evidence against him, it's obvious that Lopez was found guilty even before the start of the trial. This trial was just a cargo cult display to give the verdict the appearance of justice when it is in fact the opposite of that.

Erika Guevara-Rosas, the director for the Americas at Amnesty International, has spoken on Lopez's sentence, saying:

quote:

The charges against Leopoldo Lopez were never adequately substantiated, and the sentence against him has a clear political motivation. His only crime is being the leader of an opposition party in Venezuela.

There was a lot of discussion back at the time Lopez handed himself over to the authorities on February 18 of last year about whether or not that had been the right decision to make. When I went to listen to Maria Corina Machado speak here in Toronto last year after Lopez's arrest, I remember someone in the audience told her during the Q&A period, "Maria Corina, do not do what Leopoldo did: do not hand yourself over when they come looking for you. We need free leaders". I can't remember what Machado answered, but the question reflected the very popular sentiment that Leopoldo should not have surrendered to authorities, that he should have fled the country, etc.

The question is, "Why do that?". Lilian Tintori told CNN En Español earlier this year that Leopoldo handed himself over to show people what kind of government Venezuela really has; to demonstrate that Venezuela is a democratic country in any meaningful way. Whether or not this was really Leopoldo's goal is almost besides the point, because the world can see now how deep into authoritarianism Venezuela has sunk.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

:v: I think you placed the link around the wrong part, poor guy isn't a guebón just because he died of a heart attack! Or maybe he is, I mean, I wouldn't go to a protest with a weak heart.

My goodness. Thank you for pointing that out. I had meant to link to the El Nacional article reporting his death. I've now fixed the link.

The reason I'd looked up the meaning of the word huevon (or guevon) is because the woman at the end of that La Patilla video I posted called the man recording a huevon. I know that this is a go-to insult, but I realized that I didn't really know what it meant. I was surprised to find that it means "idiot/lazy person". Is that correct? I always thought that it meant something much "worse" than that.

I also want to say that I tend to ignore Borneo Jimmy's comments because I find that he interacts with the thread in a very superficial way. I became active in the old thread back in February of last year, and (I think) he was around then and it was the same thing. I've even offered one more than one occasion to speak to him privately if he's really interested in having a meaningful discussion about Venezuela, but he's never taken me up on that. Instead, he pops in every few pages, posts "a really thorough" article from Venezuelanalysis or Telesur about something that we may or may not be discussing in the thread, and then takes off. If he does engage the thread, it tends to be what we saw from him in the last page: "Wow, I'm sad to see the opposition supporters are calling for right wing death squads", etc.

I don't have anything against him and I think it's important to have a plurality of views in any discussion, but please consider the fact that you're likely not going to get an engaged response out of him when you think about replying to something he posts. The thread tends to work better when people keep that in mind.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chuck Boone posted:

The reason I'd looked up the meaning of the word huevon (or guevon) is because the woman at the end of that La Patilla video I posted called the man recording a huevon. I know that this is a go-to insult, but I realized that I didn't really know what it meant. I was surprised to find that it means "idiot/lazy person". Is that correct? I always thought that it meant something much "worse" than that.

Well, yes and no? If I were to translate it it would be like calling someone a Retard rather than an idiot. It's much more insulting (idiot would be "idiota" or "pendejo") and yet still used in "friendly" banter.

Then again Venezuelans are incredibly foul mouthed. Seriously, even here in Spain people sometimes tell me I have the dirtiest mouth, and I reign myself in wuite abit due to cultural differences. "Guebón" (huevon is the correct way of spelling it, but "Guebón" is the proper one for emphasys!) is not an uncommon thing to hear at all. "Marico" which is literally "fag" is practically a replacement for "bro" or "dude".

Hell one of the hardest things for me when I'm writing in english is to reign said foul mouthedness in. It's odd, and obviously Venezuelans don't notice it until they leave their country and suddenly we're worse than rude drunken sailors.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Well, yes and no? If I were to translate it it would be like calling someone a Retard rather than an idiot. It's much more insulting (idiot would be "idiota" or "pendejo") and yet still used in "friendly" banter.

Then again Venezuelans are incredibly foul mouthed. Seriously, even here in Spain people sometimes tell me I have the dirtiest mouth, and I reign myself in wuite abit due to cultural differences. "Guebón" (huevon is the correct way of spelling it, but "Guebón" is the proper one for emphasys!) is not an uncommon thing to hear at all. "Marico" which is literally "fag" is practically a replacement for "bro" or "dude".

Hell one of the hardest things for me when I'm writing in english is to reign said foul mouthedness in. It's odd, and obviously Venezuelans don't notice it until they leave their country and suddenly we're worse than rude drunken sailors.

I left Venezuela when I had just turned 12, so for all intents and purposes I have the speech pattern of a 12 year old. I like to think that my vocabulary is more developed because I've read extensively in Spanish, but I almost never swear in casual conversation in Spanish. Certainly not like my cousins who've lived there their entire lives and speak, like you say, drunken sailors. Every second word! "Marico que mierda esa guebonada! Que vaina tan arrecha guebon!!"

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
I'm a Peruvian national and the funniest thing about talking and reading Venezuelans is the profanity, you guys really take things to a professional level when cursing (when doing something wrong: "que haces mmgv?", me: que significa mmgv?, significa mama guevo! -literally ballsucker, because cocksucker wasn't good enough, you have to be more thorough and say it as casually as someone might say brah).

To actually contribute something useful to the thread, here in Lima, there has been an steady influx of Venezuelans in the last decade that has had interesting results; when you go to smaller stores or markets (that usually sell counterfeit or contraband clothes) you notice that almost overnight all of them started to take credit cards and Venezuelan traveler checks, I later learned that Venezuelans go there " shop" and get cash (either dollars or nuevos soles) minus a commission and their cards get charged in bolivares; another is the proliferation of arepa restaurants, there used to be one or two and now there are dozens (and I love them, drat you for making me an addict).

It's really sad when people have to leave their country (la tierra que los vio nacer) because their economy is in shambles (been there done that) or their rights (both political and human) are being restricted or ignored, but is interesting to see one's country change by their influx and to see them prosper, I hope nothing but the best for the people of Venezuela in this thread and everywhere.

PS: gently caress Borneo Jimmy if he's serious about his support for the current Venezuelan government, and applauses if he's being ironically showing us how hosed up the supporters of the PSUV are in their views, drat that's a loooong con Jimmy.

Edit for paragraphing.

zocio fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 11, 2015

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
At the risk of sounding too pessimist, I think yesterday's ruling was just the warming up. If they're confident enough to outright sentence Leopoldo despite the obvious farce of his trial and charges, I don't think they'll blush when the time comes to steal the elections in December. A more logical approach would've been to continue postponing his sentencing indefinitely , but I assume international pressures got too pesky, which left them with two avenues: complying by releasing Leopoldo and allowing international observation in the elections or closing ranks and doubling down on repression.

Chavismo is definitely not "going quietly into the night".

As for the students that were sentenced with him, I hope those kids will get the chance to escape like Coello did. Leopoldo at least had an idea of what he was getting into, but these guys are going to whither away just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and chavismo needed some props.

I would love to know every detail of what went on in that courtroom, the kind of poo poo that will only see the light years from now when one of the attendees writes a book about the experience, specially about the judge. While I don't have any sympathy for the woman, I can't help but wonder if she went along with the farce willingly simply in exchange of being set for life or if maybe she thought about judge Afiuni being tortured for years, and decided she would rather protect herself and her family from political persecution. Either way she made her choice and all she can do now is hide within chavismo.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 11, 2015

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I've translated a video of statements made by Lilian Tintori and some political figures after the sentence was read last night. There video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tqEabYhqec

quote:

Man in Blue Shirt: … the unjust 18-month trial that our leader, Leopoldo Lopez, had to face. It ends today with a thirteen year sentence.

Woman in Orange Hat: … all the strength. Free! Free! Free! Leopoldo is always free. He’s with you.

Lilian Tintori: When we heard the verdict — an unjust sentence for Leopoldo Lopez — Leopoldo came up to my around the guards and he grabbed my hand and said, “Lilian, give Venezuela this message: ‘To the Venezuelan people: remain calm. Dignity! Do not lose hope for even one minute. Strength and faith.” After, a soldier came with a bulletproof vest and the handcuffs, and Leopoldo went like this [presents wrists for handcuffs] with pride. “Handcuff me! The judge will not remove these handcuffs, nor will the unjust justice. These handcuffs will be removed by the people of Venezuela.”

[crowd chants, “Si se puede! Liberen a Leopoldo!” (“Yes we can! Free Leopoldo!”)]

Tintori: Remain calm and dignified, with strength and lots of faith. Today, with his words, Leopoldo did not defend himself. With his words today, Leopoldo defended us all. Every single one of us, every Venezuelan. I ask you to please be with the family of Horacio Blanco, a member of Voluntad Popular who unfortunately died today at the Palace of Justice thanks to the violence there due to the arrival of a pro-government group sent there by the government to create violence. Strength and faith! [crowd joins in chant].
As Leopoldo has always said, let us not give in to provocations. Let’s stick with strength, faith, the truth, our points [and continue to] work with the people of Venezuela through difficult times. Let us remain calm and await the call that Leopoldo will make of us along with his [Mesa de la] Unidad colleagues. Let’s wait for this call with calm, dignity and strength — but with lots of calm.

Freddy Guevara: Tomorrow, Leopoldo will speak to the country. We stress one really clear part of Leopoldo’s message: [unintelligible], that we don’t fall into the government’s game which is to promote violence just as it did today, and that we await his call — the call he will make along with the Unidad, the people, the students — that without a doubt will drive action. We are a people who do not surrender and we will not allow injustice to stand or corrupt officials to remain hidden from history. In fact, we will expose them. This is the moral strength that our people have.
Difficult days are coming, but we will achieve this.

Jesus Torrealba: Dear Government people: if you think that through this farce that you’ve put up today before the country and the world you feel like you’re an all-powerful government, I’m sorry to tell you that you’re wrong. What you’re doing today is demonstrating your cowardice. Today, it is all the more clear that they have the government, but not the power. The people, the citizens have the power! The people will free Leopoldo Lopez. […} at the next National Assembly, an amnesty and reconciliation law. The people will free Lopez from the claws of his captors, and the 78 other political prisoners; all of our exiles, and the parents of the one thousand students who are subject to these judicial proceedings. The brave people will achieve this, because the brave people have the power, not them. They barely have the government, but not the power.

[crowd chants, “La voluntad es popular!” (“There is popular will!”)]

Pablo Iglesias from Podemos said on the case:

quote:

We don’t like that someone is being sentenced for doing politics, whoever he may be. We think that in politics, differences have to be settled through the electoral process, and I wish that this man [Lopez] could be a part of the elections so that Venezuelans could be the ones to decide through their vote who should run the country.

Finally, a fitting piece from political cartoonist Jorge Cruz. The piece is from March but is relevant today. It makes reference to the Ojos de Chavez:

zocio posted:

... another is the proliferation of arepa restaurants, there used to be one or two and now there are dozens (and I love them, drat you for making me an addict).

Arepas are amazing. I was an ESL teacher over this past year and had lots of students from around the world, specially Japan and Korea. I often recommended an arepa restaurant here in Toronto to them, and I never had a student tell me they didn't enjoy the arepas there. You can't not love arepas!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zocio posted:

I'm a Peruvian national and the funniest thing about talking and reading Venezuelans is the profanity, you guys really take things to a professional level when cursing (when doing something wrong: "que haces mmgv?", me: que significa mmgv?, significa mama guevo! -literally ballsucker, because cocksucker wasn't good enough, you have to be more thorough and say it as casually as someone might say brah).

I'm going to nitpick because swearing is a serious matter to me. "Guevo" is penis in Venezuela unlike the rest of the hispanic world where it's indeed balls. So mamaguebo is literally cocksucker, and yeah that's like calling someone "bro", until it's not. We live by context.

zocio posted:

To actually contribute something useful to the thread, here in Lima, there has been an steady influx of Venezuelans in the last decade that has had interesting results; when you go to smaller stores or markets (that usually sell counterfeit or contraband clothes) you notice that almost overnight all of them started to take credit cards and Venezuelan traveler checks, I later learned that Venezuelans go there " shop" and get cash (either dollars or nuevos soles) minus a commission and their cards get charged in bolivares; another is the proliferation of arepa restaurants, there used to be one or two and now there are dozens (and I love them, drat you for making me an addict).

That's called "Raspar cupo" and yeah, it's everywhere. Funny how something illegal is so out in the open. For reference check the differences between the minimum wage in official and black market exchange, it's only natural people are going to take advantage of that. A year or two ago a friend of my wife traveled to dublin for a few months, spending all of her savings. Doing that fraud allowed her to recover what she spend travelling to Dublin, living there for three months, travelling to Spain for two weeks, going back to Dublin, and back to Venezuela and she even had money to spare, meaning the trip actually made her some money.

edit: and yes Arepas are the loving best and our contribution to humanity. Way better than the new age socialism.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm going to nitpick because swearing is a serious matter to me. "Guevo" is penis in Venezuela unlike the rest of the hispanic world where it's indeed balls. So mamaguebo is literally cocksucker, and yeah that's like calling someone "bro", until it's not. We live by context.

That's called "Raspar cupo" and yeah, it's everywhere. Funny how something illegal is so out in the open.

How did "guevo" became a synonym for penis?, this is a serious matter to me aswell.

As for "raspar cupo", you must understand that it's not illegal here, it's a grey area and by grey I mean it's profitable for everyone (including the government via sale taxes), so noone rocks the boat.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

Arepas are amazing. I was an ESL teacher over this past year and had lots of students from around the world, specially Japan and Korea. I often recommended an arepa restaurant here in Toronto to them, and I never had a student tell me they didn't enjoy the arepas there. You can't not love arepas!

Is it Arepa Café on Queen Street? That place is amazing.

drat good desserts also.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is it Arepa Café on Queen Street? That place is amazing.

drat good desserts also.

Yes, that's one place, but I actually prefer GordoEx Ex Cafe just north of Bathurst station. If you like Arepa Cafe I think you'll go nuts at Gordo Ex.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Messing around with various IPTV lists, I've found TV Venezuela and am watching my first Con El Mazo Dando. This would be hilarious if it wasn't such a horrifying example of how regimes use the media to intimidate and control people. Cabello is directly telling Diego Arria that if he ever steps foot in Venezuela he will be arrested. And now he appears to be saying the same about maria corina who I guess he's calling "maria violencia". Now he's talking about zombie movies and how she sounds like a zombie. Amazing.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Gozinbulx posted:

Messing around with various IPTV lists, I've found TV Venezuela and am watching my first Con El Mazo Dando. This would be hilarious if it wasn't such a horrifying example of how regimes use the media to intimidate and control people. Cabello is directly telling Diego Arria that if he ever steps foot in Venezuela he will be arrested. And now he appears to be saying the same about maria corina who I guess he's calling "maria violencia". Now he's talking about zombie movies and how she sounds like a zombie. Amazing.

Oh man, all you need now is to watch a cadena. Diosdado may ramble, but watching Maduro try to maintain a coherent narrative and making bumbling threats is surrealistic.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Leopoldo Lopez is responsible for the deaths of 43 people and he got 13 years? I dunno what the outrage is about that seems pretty fair. Pluse the victims of the guarimbas and right wing violence have applauded the ruling.

http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/11502

quote:

The ruling was applauded by Venezuelan social movements, including the Committee of Victims of the Guarimba and the Ongoing Coup, which has fought tirelessly against impunity in the cases of rightwing violence in 2014 and 2013.

“Justice is finally hearing us, part of the justice, but we will continue the struggle, becuase there are still material and intellectual actors yet to be brought to justice for these acts,” Committee spokesperson Desiree Cabrera told Venezuelanalysis.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

zocio posted:

PS: gently caress Borneo Jimmy if he's serious about his support for the current Venezuelan government, and applauses if he's being ironically showing us how hosed up the supporters of the PSUV are in their views, drat that's a loooong con Jimmy.
I want to think he's ironically playing a character as well. There's a lot of dedication to post insight in bullshit news that are painful to read, it's basically doing a service for the thread.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hard to think he's serious, but I've met plenty of people that ARE exactly like that, so I agree that he's doing the thread some kind of service by showing it just hire moronic pro chavist arguments can get.

His last post is proof

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
He's a limp GBS shitposter slumming it in the most easily trolled subforum on SA.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Constant Hamprince posted:

He's a limp GBS shitposter slumming it in the most easily trolled subforum on SA.

It's mostly just strange he only does it here. There're a lot of bad threads to choose from to troll, but this is a good one with a small number of regulars. He's also been at it for years, so who knows what's going on.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

We also have calls for assassination and armed revolution ITT, it's just how anglophone venezuelachat goes.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Leopoldo Lopez is responsible for the deaths of 43 people and he got 13 years? I dunno what the outrage is about that seems pretty fair. Pluse the victims of the guarimbas and right wing violence have applauded the ruling.

http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/11502

How many deaths are black loves matter leaders in Ferguson responsible?

Or how about that friend of the family agitator Martin Luther King Jr?

We should of put him and Malcolm X in prisom for life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Peel posted:

We also have calls for assassination and armed revolution ITT, it's just how anglophone venezuelachat goes.

And sadly those calls for, of all things, armed death squads and civil war, are probably entirely serious.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Laphroaig posted:

And sadly those calls for, of all things, armed death squads and civil war, are probably entirely serious.

You mean freedom fighters?

Yes. The call for freedom fighters against tyranny is entirely serious.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

This is from a while back, but remember that Foreign Policy hit piece on Leopoldo López Borneo Jimmy liked so much?

It has now been corrected 7 times:

quote:

* Clarification, Aug. 12, 2015: Pedro Burelli was not involved in hiring Leopoldo López at PDVSA.

** Clarification, Sept. 3, 2015: Leopoldo López’s mother was originally hired by a subsidiary of PDVSA in 1980, and transferred to the head office in 1994.

*** Clarification, Aug. 12, 2015: Burelli did not specifically advise López on the 2014 clashes with the Venezuelan government.

**** Clarification: Aug. 26, 2015: An editing error in a previous version of this article made unclear the years in which López was banned from running for public office.

***** Update, Aug. 12, 2015: This article has been updated to note the ruling by the Inter-American Commission and Inter-American Court of Human Rights on behalf of López.

****** Correction/clarification, Aug. 12, 2015: A previous version of this article incorrectly noted that Burelli was “considered a fugitive from justice by Venezuelan authorities.” In June 2014, the BBC reported that the Venezuelan government would be seeking a Red Notice from Interpol for his arrest. A Red Notice has not been issued.

******* Update, Aug. 17, 2015: This article has been updated to reflect Burelli’s explanation for the meaning of the word “colectivo” and to include the name of the retired officer to whom he was speaking.

:drat:

What's more, the author, Roberto Lovato, used to work for Telesur:

quote:

In his rebuttal to the rebuttal, Lovato confirms the Telesur connection: “It is true that, as a working freelance journalist, I contracted briefly with a TeleSur subsidiary, TeleSur English, headquartered in and operated out of Ecuador, one of six countries that jointly run the parent network.” Venezuela, it should be noted, is the majority stakeholder; it’s accurate to call it Venezuela’s state-run media outlet.

Shouldn’t this Telesur detail be written across the top of the story in red? Rothkopf says that the disclosure in the rebuttal is sufficient. “We have a very high regard for our readers and feel that they can draw their own conclusions if we present them with the facts,” he says. The editors didn’t know of the Telesur connection prior to running the story, says Rothkopf, “and that’s unfortunate.” Executive Editor Pauker says, “It’s difficult to make the claim that he is the agent of the Maduro government…based on that association.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...uelan-politico/

beer_war fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 13, 2015

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

beer_war posted:

This is from a while back, but remember that Foreign Policy hit piece on Leopoldo López Borneo Jimmy liked so much?

Doesn't change the substance of the piece or Lopez's role in the 2014 violence. Given that the U.S. Government tried to pressure Foreign Policy into suppressing the piece to protect their asset it looks like they did some arm twisting on FP to discredit the piece, sort of like the CIA did to Gary Webb in response to the Dark Alliance story. And Lovato is right, there's only one correction to the piece, the rest are "clarifications" that Burelli's lawyers pushed for FP to include.

Borneo Jimmy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 13, 2015

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Doesn't change the substance of the piece or Lopez's role in the 2014 violence. Given that the U.S. Government tried to pressure Foreign Policy into suppressing the piece to protect their asset it looks like they did some arm twisting on FP to discredit the piece, sort of like the CIA did to Gary Webb in response to the Dark Alliance story. And Lovato is right, there's only one correction to the piece, the rest are "clarifications" that Burelli's lawyers pushed for FP to include.

Why is revolutionary violence? The proletariat working class in Venezuela needs to rise up and take out the anti-revolutionary ruling class.

Revolution must be constant. Death to the PSUV and the anti revolutionary reactionaries. Death to you Borneo Jimmy! You are nothing but a capitalist pawn.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The people over at www.freeleopoldo.com have put up an English translation of a letter written by Lopez and signed September 11: the day after his sentencing. This is their translation:

quote:

He who tires, loses and I will never tire of fighting for a free Venezuela!

More than a year ago, the corrupt elite that governs Venezuela ordered my arrest in the vain hope that I would flee the country. I chose to step forward, and present myself to the dictatorship in full view of the world. I made this decision without hesitation. I was prepared to confront the full weight of the dictatorship’s abuses. I was fully aware of what I was facing and the likely consequences. I was, and am, at peace with that.

Today, those consequences are a reality. I have been convicted by an elite that has demonstrated openly and brazenly that there is no level of dishonesty it won’t stoop to in order to preserve its power and privileges. But even now I do not regret in the least the decision I took. I am at peace, for a simple and powerful reason: great causes deserve great sacrifices.

I am more convinced than ever of the righteousness of our cause, which is none other than the liberation of an entire people who suffer the painful consequences of a model that has failed economically, politically and socially; a fair and democratic cause seeking Venezuela's peace, well-being and progress; a human cause that wants all rights for all people, without exclusions or privileges; above all a moral cause, one that compels us to always be on the side of the victims and never on the side of the predators.

In issuing this judgment, Venezuela’s governing elite hopes to utterly demoralize all those who strive for a better country. They want to kill our hopes and make us believe this noble cause is not worth the suffering. They want us to surrender to their abuses without further resistance.

But sisters and brothers, this judgment can only make us stronger in our convictions. We cannot allow ourselves to be overcome, we cannot tire, on the contrary, we must rise again and again to achieve peacefully and democratically the change that our country so badly needs. This is what I'm going to do and it is also what I, from the bottom of my heart, urge you to do.

For Venezuela to move forward we must change the system, which can only happen by standing up to the corrupt elite that holds our country prisoner. On December 6, we have an excellent opportunity to move in that direction, and secure change that will allow us to open the door to a better future for ourselves and our children.

In these difficult times, I recall the words of the pacifist leader Mahatma Gandhi who said: "You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.”

Today they have Venezuela in chains but we have the strength, the endurance and the faith to make our country free again.

Lastly, to my beloved Lilian, give to our children a very special message: they will hear from some people that their father is guilty and that he will be imprisoned for many years. That is not true. Today your father is freer than ever. My soul, my ideas and my love for you flies high, very high, in the sky above our beautiful Venezuela. I am here and I am not going anywhere. They will not be able to tear us apart and I promise that we will soon all live together in the Best Venezuela, where we will laugh, play and sing without feeling fear.

¡Strength and Faith!
Leopoldo López
September 11, 2015
Ramo Verde Military Prison
Sentenced to 13 years and 9 months in prison

The original letter in Lopez's handwriting can be seen here.

The Colombian Ministry of Defense issued a release today saying that the Colombian Air Force tracked two Venezuelan Air Force airplanes violating its airspace along the northern tip of Zulia state yesterday afternoon. The release says that the planes flew 2.9 km into Colombia's airspace, flew over the town of Majayura, then flew over a Colombian military unit in the area, and then flew away towards the town of Castilletes.

Peel posted:

Look on the bright side: at least we're getting the full spectrum of opinion! While the thread (counting the last one as well) does appear to go through phases, I'd say that overall it's been informative.

beer_war posted:

Ha! Thank you for posting this. And thank goodness for the eagle-eyed hawks at Burelli's PR firm! The Telesur connection is interesting and certainly helps to locate the piece.

Labradoodle posted:

Oh man, all you need now is to watch a cadena. Diosdado may ramble, but watching Maduro try to maintain a coherent narrative and making bumbling threats is surrealistic.

I pride myself in being able to translate videos quickly, but when it comes to Maduro's speeches...

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chuck Boone posted:

I pride myself in being able to translate videos quickly, but when it comes to Maduro's speeches...

First you'd need to translate it to logical Spanish, then English.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone ever call Maduro out on his poo poo when he makes these 'the US are planning to invade/my assassination/contaminate our precious bodily fluids' statements, and if not, why not?

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

BeigeJacket posted:

Does anyone ever call Maduro out on his poo poo when he makes these 'the US are planning to invade/my assassination/contaminate our precious bodily fluids' statements, and if not, why not?

Well, the problem is these allegations are thrown around so often that nobody takes them seriously. I mean, just off the top of my head last week Maduro accused Santos and Radio Caracol of planning to murder him, earlier this year the Minister of Defense said that they'd caught wind of some hitmen that had been paid 10 grand to kill Maduro and so on. As of the start of this year, he'd made mention of 17 different plots to kill him (http://www.elnorte.com.ve/nicolas-maduro-ha-hecho-17-denuncias-de-magnicidio-en-dos-anos/) during his presidency.

The average venezuelan doesn't really give two shits about what he has to say aside from important announcements such as the border closing, etc. As for why opposition figures don't call him on his bullshit more often, they don't have the platforms to do so. Most of the media has either been bought by pro-government interests or are too scared to be seen taking an anti-government stance because then they could be sued and fined into oblivion, denied the right to broadcast, denied paper to print and so on.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

BeigeJacket posted:

Great question! I think there are a couple of things to consider here.

The complete lack of anything resembling the separation of powers in Venezuela means that no public PSUV figure in any of the branches of government will publicly disagree with what Maduro says, no matter how ridiculous. The PSUV officials who appear in the public eye the most (Diosdado Cabello, Jorge Arreaza, Delcy Rodriguez, Jorge Rodriguez, Tareck El Aissami, Tarek William Saab, etc.) will not contradict Maduro on anything that is central to the PSUV line, such as the assertion that there's an economic war happening, etc. The same goes for the government's media branches, including outlets like Telesur and Venezolana de Television, both of which are for all intents and purposes propaganda mouthpieces for the PSUV. The reason why PSUV die-hards and the party's media outlets don't speak out are relatively clear: the Venezuelan government has extremely authoritarian tendencies.

Opposition politicians, public figures and media outlets do speak out against Maduro's "conspiracy-of-the-week" speeches. Miranda state governor Henrique Capriles will often call Maduro out for his nonsense, as will Maria Corina Machado, Jesus Torrealba, and Freddy Guevara. Leopoldo Lopez did as well, and now he's paying the price for that. Similarly, opposition-leaning media such as El Nacional will often report on news stories that other newspapers will not pick up. These stories tend to be highly critical of the government. Unfortunately, such is the state of politics in the country that these people and others like them are often branded imperialist, right-wing, terrorist traitors simply for voicing a different opinion. We see a lot of that in this very thread.

I'd also like to say that there is probably a fairly significant number of people who do not believe in Maduro's assertions, but are perhaps not in any kind of position of power for us to see their reactions in the media. Just to give you an idea, a poll conducted by the Instituto Venezolano de Analisis de Datos last week found that 69.4% of respondents do not believe that the country's economic situation is the result of an "economic war", as Maduro likes to claim. We don't necessarily hear a lot about these people, the ordinary citizen, because they're not often in the public eye. Note, however, that when discontent with the government does make the international media (as it did during the 2014 protests), the government called them terrorists, murderers, U.S.-backed instigators, etc.

Finally, if you're wondering, "Alright, but still, why don't more people speak out against the government?", I think this week's events point to the answer. Maduro has just placed Leopoldo Lopez in prison for almost 14 years simply for speaking out against his government (check my post on page four to see what a travesty his trial was). The refusal to renew RCTV's broadcasting license in 2007, forcing a station with over 50 years of history off the air, serves as a constant reminder to the country's media that if you dare to overstep your boundaries, you will be shut down.

In short, people do speak out; some have become so deluded that they'll believe anything Maduro and Telesur says, while others - specially those in the spotlight - have well-founded fears of the repercussions that come to those who speak out against Maduro and the PSUV.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 14, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Chuck Boone posted:

Pablo Iglesias from Podemos said on the case:
We don’t like that someone is being sentenced for doing politics, whoever he may be. We think that in politics, differences have to be settled through the electoral process, and I wish that this man [Lopez] could be a part of the elections so that Venezuelans could be the ones to decide through their vote who should run the country.

Maybe he isn't that pro-PSUV afterall?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

punk rebel ecks posted:

Maybe he isn't that pro-PSUV afterall?

I don't know enough about Podemos to talk about it too much, but I do know that it's been linked - for better or for worse - with chavismo, as Hugoon Chavez has pointed out. Also, an organization that Pablo Iglesias and other Podemos leaders belonged to received at least 3.7 million Euros from the Venezuelan government between 2002 and 2012. There's an interview with Iglesias on VTV in that link, too. I watched only a minute of it, but I can tell you that Iglesias wasn't there criticizing the PSUV.

However many ideological similarities Iglesias might share with the PSUV, they apparently don't extend to throwing people in jail for speaking their minds, which is great.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Chuck Boone posted:

However many ideological similarities Iglesias might share with the PSUV, they apparently don't extend to throwing people in jail for speaking their minds, which is great.

Tanta culpa tiene el que mata la vaca como el que le aguanta la pata.

gently caress him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Gozinbulx posted:

Tanta culpa tiene el que mata la vaca como el que le aguanta la pata.

gently caress him.

I don't understand what this means?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Those who are help and encourage a bad act (or are complacent) are just as guilty ie this Igelsias publicly condemning the arrest of Lopez but being a friend and supporter (and patron) of the Venezuelan regime does not absolve him of guilt.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gozinbulx posted:

Those who are help and encourage a bad act (or are complacent) are just as guilty ie this Igelsias publicly condemning the arrest of Lopez but being a friend and supporter (and patron) of the Venezuelan regime does not absolve him of guilt.

While I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, I think it's very telling that even someone that has based his own political campaign on Chavismo and Chavez as a hero of the people is like "man this is wrong" about Lopez' "trial".

BeigeJacket posted:

Well, the thing about those stupid allegations is that they're just another tactic Chavez used that Maduro is completely fumbling. He's been trying to emulate him as much as possible but it's a lot more stupid and a lot less charismatic. Chavez also used the same lines a few times (USA planning to assassinate him, conspiracies from the opposition, etc) but he knew how, when and how often to use them. Maduro is basically a little kid that points and yells everytime someone messes with his toys.

And honestly, if you called Maduro on every single stupid thing he says you'd need a dedicated TV channel running you ranting at least 18 hours a day. The guy likes his foot up his mouth so much he shits toes.

That said, everything he says is mercilessly mocked and meme'd on social media. It's a thing about us Venezuelans, we can make fun of everything, in any situation. We're basically a country of Goons but with better hygiene.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I will never get tired of listening to people who insist Chavez's cancer was the US' fault. "They might have messed with radiowaves" said the same teacher that told me Pearl Harbor was an inside job to make Japan look bad.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

That said, everything he says is mercilessly mocked and meme'd on social media. It's a thing about us Venezuelans, we can make fun of everything, in any situation. We're basically a country of Goons but with better hygiene.
Well, I unfortunately have a little urge to dispute the having better hygiene part of the analogy with the worsening issues we've been facing around the last four years in most of the nation's Water supplies, Urban maintenance and Medical treatments...

But pretty much I thank the average Venezuelan population's sense of humor doing its job as a defense mechanism and their skill adapting to Black Comedy quickly for why we haven't succumbed to madness and created the bloodiest civil war in the Country's history by now.

People's patiences are reaching their limits with 6D being the strongest glue holding any composure, though, and a little topic that's becoming really scary here is that, with all the difficulties getting the ingredients for the most basic recipe, there are appearing people actually considering the possibility of not having Hallacas (if not a Christmas Dinner) for this December...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Azran posted:

I will never get tired of listening to people who insist Chavez's cancer was the US' fault. "They might have messed with radiowaves" said the same teacher that told me Pearl Harbor was an inside job to make Japan look bad.

And I thought the guy I knew who claimed the US knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time was nuts.