Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Welcome to the Entrance of hell: Diablo III.

Diablo III is an action role-playing game that takes place throughout the dark fantasy world of Sanctuary.

You play a hero who engages in fast-paced combat that tests your reflexes and rewards tactical decisions! As you slay hordes of monsters and challenging bosses, you grow in experience and ability, learning new skills and acquiring items of incredible power!

All of that was according to Blizzard, anyway. When it came out, Diablo III was really just a game with a story that threw old fans for a loop, and had many balancing problems as well. Even if you didn't play the game, you may have heard about the Real Money Auction House. On paper, it was an attempt to remove item sellers from Diablo III; in practice, to the dismay of most players, the item drop rates were lowered so players were "forced" to use some variant of the Auction House to even play on the highest difficulty. A bonus "feature" of this auction house meant that all players are required to play online, so all your inputs must go into the server before they show up on your screen, which is really bad in this style of game.

This all sounds awful, what gives?

Like a lot of players, I was disappointed by the release. In fact, I stopped playing before even completing the story. One thing did finally bring me back to the game though, and it was the expansion: Reaper of Souls! (Along with the incessant nagging of some friends . . . ) This was largely because with the release of the expansion, Blizzard closed the Real Money and gold-based Auction Houses, while also increasing the rate of drops so that you could actually gear up by playing! Additionally, Reaper of Souls re-balanced some of the difficulty modes, added an additional mode called Adventure Mode, and returned Seasons/ladder play back to the franchise. Oh yeah, there was also something about Blizzard shuffling the Lead Developer (that the playerbase hated with the searing passion of a thousand suns) off to some other project or something.

How is the LP going to work?

This will be a co-op LP; I will be joined by my trusty friends, Junos(Jael) and Zarin. We will be playing through the story mode first, then moving on to show Adventure mode off, where we may bring in some guests!

Expect an update at least once per week, probably on Fridays.

One feature of Diablo III is that all of the class/sex combinations have unique cutscenes and dialogue associated with them. I will be showing those off separately without commentary for the LP. See the Second post for more Information. In addition, all the Beastiary information and lore books will also be shown off in video/screenshot formats. Click me to see that.

Because of this feature, I'm open to playing any class in the game, and you can vote for which you'd like to see here? Voting is complete!
Zarin will play the second-most voted-for class/sex combo (that is a different class than what Koobes plays, for the sake of variety).

Also because many people probably have not seen the story, please :siren: NO SPOILERS Don't Tag story spoilers! We'll get to it in the LP, talk about it then. :siren:
If you're looking to Catch up to the series, I would Recommend the following:
For Diablo I covers everything you want to know about the Original!
For Diablo II A bit of a gimmick run, a nice look at the exact opposite way you'd normally play ARPG's

YT Playlists: Cut Commentary & Uncut Commentary
Act I
Introduction Cinematic
Episode #0-1 (Cut) and Uncut Note: Skippable, Ep 1 covers the same material.
Episode #0-2 (Cut) and Uncut Note: Skippable, Ep 1 covers the same material
Episode #1-1 (Cut) and Uncut
Episode #1-2 (Cut) and Uncut
Episode #1-3 Chatting with New Tristram(No Commentary)
Episode #2-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #2-2 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #2-3 Talking with New Tristram #2
Episode #3-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #3-2 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #4-1
Episode #4-2
Act I Journal Compilation
Act I Beastiary
Act II
Episode #5 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #6 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #7 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #8 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #9-1
Episode #9-2 Chatting with Caldeum
Act II Journals Compilation
Act II Beastiary
Act III
Episode #10 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #11 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #12 andUncut Commentary
Episode #13-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #13-2 Talking with Bastion's Keep
Act III Journals Compilation
Act III Beastiary
Act IV
Episode #14 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #15-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #15-2: Chatting with our Friends
Act IV Journals Compilation
Act IV Beastiary
Act V
Episode #16-1 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #16-2 Talking with Westmarch
Episode #17
Episode #18 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #19 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #20 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #21 and Uncut Commentary
Episode #21-2: Talking with female Crusaders former Master
Episode #22 (Commentary) and No Commentary
Act V Lore Books
Post-Game(Adventure Mode)
Episode #23
Episode #24
Episode #25

Koobes fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Diablo III Player Classes

This stoic warrior uses tremendous physical strength to crush foes.

Primary attribute: Strength
Resource: Fury

Barbarians primarily use melee-based abilities, and have one of the most offence-based skill sets. Their resource, Fury, is generated through primary abilities but drains while out of combat. They have extremely good mobility and can equip Barbarian-specific Mighty Weapons/2-handed Mighty Weapons, and Mighty Belts. This is the only recurring class from Diablo II, and the only playable class to appear in multiple games.

Voiced by: Dorian Harewood(Male), and Athena Karkanis(Female)

Act I Introduction Male and Female

Religious warriors committed to expunging evil from the world through discipline, honor, and unswerving vigilance.

Primary Attribute: Strength
Resource: Wrath

Crusaders are another melee-based class like the Barbarian, but they are much more defensive and have greater comparative group utility. While one of the least mobile classes, Crusaders can always wear shields, even when wielding :siren:2handed weapons!:siren: Crusaders are also the only class that can use Flails/2-handed Flails, and Crusader-specific Shields. This class is most similar to Paladin from Diablo 2.

Voiced by: Gideon Emery(Male) and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn(Female)

Ranged weaponry and shadow manipulation make this vengeful hero an elusive stalker of demons.

Primary Attribute: Dexterity
Resource: Hatred/Discipline

Demon Hunters are a Ranged damage class, and have a unique resource dichotomy: Hatred is a fast-replenishing resource that powers damage skills, and Discipline is a slow-replenishing resource that powers utility skills. Demon hunters use bows/crossbows(and sometimes :siren:explosives:siren:) and can use Demon Hunter-unique Quivers to buff their attacks.

Voiced by: Robert Atkin Downes(Male), and Laura Bailey(Female)

Act I IntroductionMale and Female

A Holy warrior who attacks faster than the eye can follow, disabling enemies with precision blows.

Primary Attribute: Dexterity
Resource: Spirit

Monks are a hybrid ranged/melee class, with very high speed. Spirit is similar to Fury, but does not drain while out of combat. They provide incredible utility, and have a good range of damaging and mobility skills. They can use Monk specific Spirit stones(head gear), Fist weapons, and Daibos.

Voiced by: Jamieson Price(Male), and Rajia Baroudi(Female)

A manipulator of the forces of life and death, this shrewd caster wields the power of the spirits in astounding ways.

Primary Attribute: Intelligence
Resource: Mana

Witch Doctors are a ranged damage class in tune with the spirits of the dead, allowing them to summon creatures from :ghost:beyond the grave:ghost:. In addition to commanding an army of summoned friends to slay the minions of hell, Witch Doctors also cast poisons, fire, and acids offensively. They can use Witch Doctor Specific Voodoo Masks, Ceremonial Knives and Fetishes. (No, not . . . y'know what, just nevermind).

Voiced by: Carl Lumbly(Male), and Erica Luttrell(Female)

A master of the temporal and elemental energies powering creation itself.

Primary Attribute: Intelligence
Resource: Arcane power

Wizards are a ranged damage class, utilizing the elements of Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Arcane. They are one of the hardest hitting classes in the game, utilizing their Arcane power for their spells. They can use the Wizard-specific Wands and Sources.

Voiced by: Crispin Freeman(Male), and Grey Griffin(Female)

Main Characters
Not all characters will get an entry here. All the portraits here are avatar sized, so feel free to use them!

The old friend who loves to identify things for you is back! He predicts the end times from the Horadric tomes, with the events coming soon.

As Decard Cain's niece, Leah has been studying to be a Historian like her Uncle.

Once known as the Stranger, restoring his sword restored his mind.

Adria is Leah's mother. She abandoned Leah, and left her in the hands of Decard early in her life in order to help fight the evils of the world.

Zolton Kulle is one of the original Horodrum. Betrayed by his brethren because of his thirst for power, he was killed. Tyreal bargains with him with assistance against the Prime Evils, in exchange for being resurrected.

Combat Followers

Kormac The Templar. We found him in the Cathedral, bound by cultists after being betrayed by Jondar. Helping defeat Jondar and our fight against the Skeleton King has gained him our trust.

Lyndon the Scoundrel. We find Lyndon mingling with a woman for her families jewelry, and take him with us in order to "sell" it in another land.

Eirena the Enchantress. A powerful enchantress that was awoken from a magical slumber in order to fight the Prime Evils. Not much is known about her past.

Crafting Followers

Haedrig is our resident blacksmith. He can craft us great deal of equipment, and break down any equipment we don't want. He wants to live up to his fathers blacksmithing name.

Covetous Shen is a curious fellow who has a knack for gems and jewelry. He can craft us rings and amulets, as well as combine gems into larger/better gems. He likes to hide in barrels and bargain with demons for his safety.

Koobes fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 27, 2015

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

As we collect Beastiary entries from killing enemies, and Lore books from around the world, I will post them here for your listening pleasure. Expect any new finds as images with each updates, and videos every ~2-3 updates.

Act I Beastiary
Act I Beastiary Compilation
Act II Beastiary
Act II Beastiary Compilation
Act III Beastiary
Act III Beastiary Compilation
Act IV Beastiary
Act V Beastiary

Koobes fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 15, 2016

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Act I Lore books
Act I Journal Compilation

Leah's Tristram Journal Cain's Old Journals Decard Cain's Journal Adria's Journal Gillian's Diary Lachdanan's Scrolls Leoric's Journal Priest's Contemplations The Crusaders Notes of Urik the Seer Misc
Act II:
Act II Lore Compilation

An Abridged History of Caldeum The Seven Lords of Hell Deceivers' Orders Leah's Caldeum Journal The Desert Aqueducts Missive to Maghda Hunter's Journals Kulle's Journals On the Desolate Sands Misc
Act III
Act III Journals Compilation

Orders from Azmodan
Fall of the Barbarians
Leah's Keep Journals
Morgan's Journals
Misc
Act IV
Act IV Journals Compilation

The Angiris Council
The Creation of Sanctuary
The Destiny of the Nephalem
Misc
Act V
Act V Lore Books

The History of Westmarch
Adria's Journals
Urzael's Journals
Deserter's Journal
The History of Pandemonium
The Testament of Inarius
The Writings of Lilith
Misc

Koobes fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 15, 2016

General Junos
Jul 2, 2013

Final Fire packet count: 73
Where are my googly eyes?! WHERE?!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
According to Koobes, the poll ends 11:59pm PST on August 30th. Everyone vote! (I mean, if you want. I don't wanna force anyone to do anything here :ohdear:)

Fake Edit: Stop editing my beautiful posts, Koobes! :argh:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 26, 2015

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Female Crusader. Talk about Robert Atkin Downes all you guys want, but never forget that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is also in this game and she's just as awesome.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Gotta be the Female Wizard. She is just amazing in personality, voice, and power set.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I voted male witch doctor, because his dialog is my favorite. Also witch doctor has the raddest spells.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

This is the worst Majora's Mask romhack I've ever seen, Koobes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Derek Barona posted:

Female Crusader. Talk about Robert Atkin Downes all you guys want, but never forget that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is also in this game and she's just as awesome.

Hey, Robin Atkin Downes is great. And his initials spell RAD. Can't get much better than that, my friend.

Also, voting for Female Crusader.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Female Monk
Because why would you ever not choose punching mooks in the face

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

bladeworksmaster posted:

Gotta be the Female Wizard. She is just amazing in personality, voice, and power set.

Well but of course. Grey DeIsle/Griffin's voice gives power to EVERY female character she voices. That's why she's voiced like, 30% of our childhood :cheeky:.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

FemWiz because why would you not play as Azula?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Astro Ambulance posted:

Because IIRC the Wizard gets more Ice spells than Fire/Lightning. Kinda ironic in a way.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Because IIRC the Wizard gets more Ice spells than Fire/Lightning. Kinda ironic in a way.

You can change elements of a lot of spells thanks to runes so that's not an issue

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Male Monk, because of his lovely, luscious beard.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
FemWiz

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

dasmause posted:

Female Monk
Because why would you ever not choose punching mooks in the face

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I never played a Witch Doctor above level 20 so I'd like to see what they're all about.

Oh uhh... Male Witch Doctor then.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Koobes posted:

Click here to choose our class going forwards!

Because of this feature, I'm open to playing any class in the game, and you can vote for which you'd like to see here? http://goo.gl/forms/ckOOhiJ4fB
Zarin will play the second-most voted-for class/sex combo (that is a different class than what Koobes plays, for the sake of variety).
Classes are certainly worth talking about, but Koobes put up a poll to do votes.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Let me know if you guys need a 4th player for the party; haven't played since Season 2 but I've been looking for an excuse to go back and play. :D

I'm going to vote for Male Wizard because I love the death ray and the male wiz just sounds so snarky.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Female Crusader because she's the best and I want her to win, but before Reaper of Souls I had a Witch Doctor and I got really close to a clickless build which was pretty amazing and lots of fun (She relied on pets and AoEs mostly). So if Crusader doesn't win I hope at least Witch Doctor does. :3:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Male Crusader going by voice actor alone.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lady Crusader

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

SgtSteel91 posted:

Lady Crusader
Not that I want to be too annoying, but seriously.

Koobes posted:

Click here to choose our class going forwards!

Because of this feature, I'm open to playing any class in the game, and you can vote for which you'd like to see here? http://goo.gl/forms/ckOOhiJ4fB

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Crumps Brother posted:

Not that I want to be too annoying, but seriously.

Honestly, its fine if people want to post! I find it a interesting contrast between what is being said in the thread and being voted on in the poll.

Also, should've probably put somewhere in there that Crusader is the class I have the least time played on. The other 5 I've played a good degree of and am pretty familiar with their stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Lady Crusader. She has a wonderfully dry sense of humor at times.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Koobes posted:

Honestly, its fine if people want to post! I find it a interesting contrast between what is being said in the thread and being voted on in the poll.

Also, should've probably put somewhere in there that Crusader is the class I have the least time played on. The other 5 I've played a good degree of and am pretty familiar with their stuff.

It's also an interesting litmus test to see which people actually read prior posts and which people just click that reply button as soon as possible.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Male Demon Hunter

Name it robert

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Yes. Lady Crusader is the way to go.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Hell yes, judging by the thread responses, I may get to play through as the sassy anime waifu princess.

:getin:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I haven't actually played this game at all yet because it's expensive and I'm poor. But I do play a lot of Heroes of the Storm, and I like Valla a lot, so I voted for female demon hunter just because of that >_>

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Zarin posted:

Hell yes, judging by the thread responses, I may get to play through as the sassy anime waifu princess.

You would think i would get bored or annoyed at her after a couple hundred/Thousand Hours, nooooope!

"You DARE challenge me?"

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Zarin posted:

I can't tell who you're talking about though. They're all sassy princesses. Also slightly anime.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Spudd posted:

I can't tell who you're talking about though. They're all sassy princesses. Also slightly anime.

The Crusaders are more straight faced than most, bringing Justice is serious business after all.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Astro Ambulance posted:

I've never played the game and originally wanted to see a monk, but this sold me.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Voted in Google doc due to this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Male Crusader!

Also, I'm too lazy to create a google account just to vote there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
The male witch doctor has a legit accent AND he was the Jamaican alien in Buckaroo Banzai?! If we don't get him in the party I'm gonna be disappointed.

• Locked thread