Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The best and worst part of Act 2 is nearly upon us, you'll soon see why many people rush through this act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A sewer level? Yay...

Why are the sewers so croweded anyway, and there is not even any running "water" or rats or poo poo anywhere. It's more like a basement of corridors.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

The best and worst part of Act 2 is nearly upon us, you'll soon see why many people rush through this act.

Poil posted:

A sewer level? Yay...

Why are the sewers so croweded anyway, and there is not even any running "water" or rats or poo poo anywhere. It's more like a basement of corridors.

The sewer levels are the absolute worst things. The one exception Is the great character we meet down there(not Adria)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Poil posted:

A sewer level? Yay...

I suspect that the solution is to imagine these are aqueducts re-purposed as sewers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I suspect that the solution is to imagine these are aqueducts re-purposed as sewers.

I think the game explicitly states that they are, yeah. Or maybe that's a later part of the chapter. I don't remember act 2 very well.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I think the game explicitly states that they are, yeah. Or maybe that's a later part of the chapter. I don't remember act 2 very well.

I think It comes up later where we meet the best character.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, so act 1 is Tristram and the surrounding areas, act 2 is a desert off in the far east. Let me guess, act 3 is some kind of dense forest/jungle and act 4 is an otherworldly supernatural plane of some sort?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
no, act 3--to its credit--is a rehash of act 5 in diablo 2. that's about the best that can be said about it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I thought Act 3 was pretty fun up until the last area. the writing of the villians not withstanding of course.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The thing about Act 3 that stuck out to me was that most of the bosses have scripted taunts that tend to smash into each other if you beat them too quickly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, so act 1 is Tristram and the surrounding areas, act 2 is a desert off in the far east. Let me guess, act 3 is some kind of dense forest/jungle and act 4 is an otherworldly supernatural plane of some sort?
You forgot the ice world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I thought Act 3 was pretty fun up until the last area. the writing of the villians not withstanding of course.

There's one area fairly early in Act 3 that I have come to loathe. In story mode, enemies spawn around you on a timer, dropping in from nowhere to be pests. And it's home to the single most frustrating component to find of the Staff of Herding.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren: New Update :siren:

Videos:

Episode #7 and Uncut Commentary

Lore books:

Diablo, The Lord of Terror
Hunter's Journal, Part 1
Hunter's Journal, Part 2
The Chamber of Faces
The Dahlgur Oasis
The Last Will of Khan Dakab
Zoltun Kulle

Beastiary:

Blood Hawk
Dune Dervish
Dust Imp

We meet a very nice fellow this time around. This is probably one of my favorite characters in the game :swoon:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Everyone likes Zoltun Cool, for that is his true name, and also the Steve Blum quota for the game.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm a little sad they had to drop the male barbarian being the barbarian from the previous game aged up 20 years because it would require a lot more work than they original expected to give him unique dialogue everywhere that such a fact would come up.

Hmmph. As far as I'm concerned, this is still the case. :colbert: He is clearly the "old man" of the playable characters, so it still fits if you're willing to ignore some stuff. (I'm willing).

Judge Tesla posted:

Everyone likes Zoltun Cool, for that is his true name, and also the Steve Blum quota for the game.

I won't lie, I didn't realize this was Steve Blum until Junos told me. I guess since he didn't sound like Spike Spiegel, I had no idea :downs:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zarin posted:

Hmmph. As far as I'm concerned, this is still the case. :colbert: He is clearly the "old man" of the playable characters, so it still fits if you're willing to ignore some stuff. (I'm willing).

I won't lie, I didn't realize this was Steve Blum until Junos told me. I guess since he didn't sound like Spike Spiegel, I had no idea :downs:

This seems surprising because to me, that voice was Blum as hell. Spike's a bit higher pitched than the usual voice he gets asked to do in video games, 'growly guy'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewilderment posted:

This seems surprising because to me, that voice was Blum as hell. Spike's a bit higher pitched than the usual voice he gets asked to do in video games, 'growly guy'.

I think it's kind of odd Blizzard has Blum doing the normal Blum voice for Zolton Kulle. They made use of Blum's actual range in Heart of the Swarm.

The next area coming up is indeed one of the worst areas in the game, but for my money it's not the Battlefield in Act 3, which is more compact but also has respawning enemies on a timer that drop out of the sky on you.

Actual largest area in the game, I think, is the Commons in Act 5. Long and twisty hallways rather than an open area, but very sprawling.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Cythereal posted:

I think it's kind of odd Blizzard has Blum doing the normal Blum voice for Zolton Kulle. They made use of Blum's actual range in Heart of the Swarm.

The next area coming up is indeed one of the worst areas in the game, but for my money it's not the Battlefield in Act 3, which is more compact but also has respawning enemies on a timer that drop out of the sky on you.

Actual largest area in the game, I think, is the Commons in Act 5. Long and twisty hallways rather than an open area, but very sprawling.

Clear the Plague Tunnels, anyone?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

quote:

Zulton Kulle is Steve Blum

What confuses me the most about him doing the VA for Kulle is (Adventure mode patch 2.3 stuff) They brought him back to do voice overs for the Horadric cube replacement, maybe he was just in the studio at the time? I assumed it was an internal VA because of that until someone brought it up

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Koobes posted:

What confuses me the most about him doing the VA for Kulle is (Adventure mode patch 2.3 stuff) They brought him back to do voice overs for the Horadric cube replacement, maybe he was just in the studio at the time? I assumed it was an internal VA because of that until someone brought it up

He voiced a notable character in Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, so it's possible he was in the studio anyhow reprising that role or voicing a different one for Legacy of the Void.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I mean, Blizzard seems to be hiring a lot of actual good voice talent (lately?), so I'm sure he was in the studio for some reason and they were like "here do this thing real quick".

On the other hand, if my profession was literally doing things with my voice, I'd totally set up a professional studio in my residence. I mean, if I'm being asked to, say, reprise a character I know already, I could probably just do that at home, dump the audio into Dropbox, and collect a check.

(I have no idea how the industry works, this is probably unlikely/impossible)

On the other hand, stuff like Heroes of the Storm needs a lot of short voice clips for banter and stuff, so I dunno. Maybe there is a model for that sort of thing already.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Koobes posted:

I must admit Kulle is my favourite non player character because he's so smug about everything from memory. In regards to spoiler stuff: Kulle made Kanai's Cube and tells the characters about it and then helps them use it once they have it. So they probably did just have him in the studio but they might have specifically called him back in for lore reasons, they also might have already had the idea of Kanai's Cube and had the voice stuff done but just didn't implement it originally for 'reasons'.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Koobes posted:

Blum's also done a couple voices for World of Warcraft, he voiced all the Sha in Mists of Pandaria.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren: New Update :siren:

Videos:
Episode #8 and Uncut Commentary

Lore:

Andariel, The Maiden of Anguish
Hunter's Journal, Part 3
Hunter's Journal, Part 4
Hunter's Journal, Part 5
Hunter's Journal, Part 6
Kulle's Journal, Part 1
Kulle's Journal, Part 2
Kulle's Journal, Part 3
Kulle's Journal, Part 4

Beastiary:

:shrug:

A touch on the long side this week, tried to cut out some of the fluff since is such an awful area, and I forgot to write down which beastiary entries I need, oops. I'll get it in with the next update. Also next few updates will probably be delayed due to midterms/projects that I need to focus on.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
RIP Super Raspy Voice Steve Blum. Again, technically.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe we'd have been more inclined to trust Kulle if he didn't end every single speech with booming evil laughter, his human form was even more obviously evil as he sounded exactly like Starscream from Transformers Prime.

(Another Steve Blum voiced character :v:)

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I don't get it. Why was he upset that there were Souls in his stone? Wasn't that what it was made for? And why would he immediately switch to "join me in conquering the world"- mode once he noticed it?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Maybe we'd have been more inclined to trust Kulle if he didn't end every single speech with booming evil laughter, his human form was even more obviously evil as he sounded exactly like Starscream from Transformers Prime.

(Another Steve Blum voiced character :v:)
Seriously, my first thought when it came to Kulle when I played Daiblo III for the first time was "so when will his obvious and inevitable betrayal come?". I would have been far more surprised if he had turned out to be on the level and continued to follow you but this is Blizzard we are talking about here.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Nuramor posted:

I don't get it. Why was he upset that there were Souls in his stone? Wasn't that what it was made for? And why would he immediately switch to "join me in conquering the world"- mode once he noticed it?

Somebody had been fiddling with the Soulstone outside of Kulle's knowledge and altered it, this will get addressed later I assure you.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sylphosaurus posted:

Seriously, my first thought when it came to Kulle when I played Daiblo III for the first time was "so when will his obvious and inevitable betrayal come?". I would have been far more surprised if he had turned out to be on the level and continued to follow you but this is Blizzard we are talking about here.

Pay close attention to his dialogue. It's really quite ironic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This episode neatly demonstrates why the first thing I did with the new cube was to permanently give myself the arcane damage immunity/healing from countess julia's cameo.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Kulle does have a point. Ever since the Prime Evils entered the mortal realm, they have been wrecking extreme havoc upon humans. DIII's hero is supposedly a Nephalem and apparently Kulla has a plan to unlock that power in others. If every human was a Nephalem or even if there was just a lot of them, they could have resisted the Prime Evils much easier. Of course, this conflicts with him talking about ruling all of creation, the more super powerful people there are, the less conquerable they become. However, this all becomes irrelevant since his evil laughter brands him as evil, end of discussion.

So level 60 causes a "quick get better equipment" situation? Couldn't Blizzard have spread the effect out over the 11 levels that are 60-70?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
One of the, for lack of a better word, subtler aspects of Kulle's character is that he seems to genuinely believe that his position is the logical one. In that paradigm, uplifting all of humanity makes sense, because once they're all Nephalem, they'd agree with him and his views on how creation should be governed. A major theme of the heroes' interactions with Kulle is him making overtures to them under the assumption that as a Nephalem they'd be of like mind, and then the heroes rebuffing him because their outlooks are fundamentally different.

The whole game suffers from the "get better gear immediately" problem due to the enemies autoleveling. It just becomes more pronounced from 60-70, because the power curve between those levels is much steeper.

To put it in perspective, at level 1, your dps is about 10, and at level 60, it's around 80-90k, maybe 110k with fully optimized gear. But at level 70, you'll want a DPS of 200k+ at bare minimum to be survivable. So each level comes with a fairly significant jump in enemy power. Honestly, it's easier to just bite the bullet and grind your way up to 70 as quickly as possible rather than trying to keep updating your gear every time you level.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 24, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keeshhound posted:

One of the, for lack of a better word, subtler aspects of Kulle's character is that he seems to genuinely believe that his position is the logical one. In that paradigm, uplifting all of humanity makes sense, because once they're all Nephalem, they'd agree with him and his views on how creation should be governed. A major theme of the heroes' interactions with Kulle is him making overtures to them under the assumption that as a Nephalem they'd be of like mind, and then the heroes rebuffing him because their outlooks are fundamentally different.

And an interesting distinction is that a couple of characters like the demon hunter actually agree that Kulle has the right idea and his plans are sound. But they completely distrust and dislike the man himself while agreeing with and supporting his goals.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kulle does make sense with the things he's been saying but he's trapped in a Blizzard game so is forced to end every speech with maniacal laughter and attacks you for no real reason other than BOSS FIGHT TIME, it's pretty tragic really, but as ever, this is the game which a Butterfly woman killed off Deckard Cain.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I always took part of Kulle's plan was that once he'd uplifted everyone of course they'd agree to let him rule. Kulle is actually villainous not for wanting to uplift everyone but for his plan to do so requires them to agree to his ruler-ship. Also him attacking is probably because he decides it'd be easier to rule everyone without pre-existing Nephalim and these guys clearly don't agree with his plan.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

So level 60 causes a "quick get better equipment" situation? Couldn't Blizzard have spread the effect out over the 11 levels that are 60-70?

Keeshhound posted:

The whole game suffers from the "get better gear immediately" problem due to the enemies autoleveling. It just becomes more pronounced from 60-70, because the power curve between those levels is much steeper.

To put it in perspective, at level 1, your dps is about 10, and at level 60, it's around 80-90k, maybe 110k with fully optimized gear. But at level 70, you'll want a DPS of 200k+ at bare minimum to be survivable. So each level comes with a fairly significant jump in enemy power. Honestly, it's easier to just bite the bullet and grind your way up to 70 as quickly as possible rather than trying to keep updating your gear every time you level.

This is pretty much the issue. Diablo III suffers from the same kind of gear curves that a lot of MMO's suffer from. Meaning that enemies become more difficult for your level as you level up, but once you hit maximum level, the enemies don't get harder, but you can get stronger and stronger(This is technically addressed by adventure mode Greater Rifts, but we'll get to that at some other point). For comparison, my character had ~27k damage, and 513k toughness according to the tooltips after hitting 61, and after crafting gear its roughly 61k and 1.1mil respectively. The game has so many drat numbers going on in it that gear is a huge impact on how you can play. I have 3 full sets of crusader gear once we hit max level to play around with, so we could jump into Torment X immediately if we wanted to :hist101:.

Cythereal posted:

And an interesting distinction is that a couple of characters like the demon hunter actually agree that Kulle has the right idea and his plans are sound. But they completely distrust and dislike the man himself while agreeing with and supporting his goals.

This is kind of neat. I haven't played through the story mode with anything but a Monk before and assumed that everyone just kind of despised what he was saying.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The hardest thing about going from 61-70 is that enemies level up as you do but gear only levels up every 3 levels or so. I think you have to be level 63 before the first new tier of gear shows up, and then it's still not like you're gearing out completely every level (as has been mentioned).

Basically all of the fun in this game is reserved for the level cap.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lord_Magmar posted:

I always took part of Kulle's plan was that once he'd uplifted everyone of course they'd agree to let him rule. Kulle is actually villainous not for wanting to uplift everyone but for his plan to do so requires them to agree to his ruler-ship. Also him attacking is probably because he decides it'd be easier to rule everyone without pre-existing Nephalim and these guys clearly don't agree with his plan.

Again, pay close attention to what is said; Kulle's not the aggressor, surprisingly.

As for the uplifting, the impression I always got was that Kulle was approaching it from a "surrounded by idiots" perspective. Sure, right now everyone thinks he's an evil madman, but once everyone's Nephalhem he won't need to rule, because everyone will be superintelligent like him, and will come to the same conclusions because those are (in his view) the most logical ones. In a weird way, Kulle is something of an optimist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kulle still tortured people for research. Yes his plan is arguably the best thing for humanity but he deserves no part of it because in his search for power for himself and others he's done some pretty terrible things. Also looking it up neither side of this fight are in the wrong. Kulle is confused that the Black Soul-stone is already partially filled and says that the Nephalim should abandon their quest and instead join him in ruling Creation because Tyrael and Adria would betray them as he believed Angels could not be trusted and sensed something strange with Adria. They disagree and come to blows over it because the Nephalim wish to finish their quest and Kulle can't believe someone wouldn't agree with him on what to him makes perfect sense. Also I doubt he'd have let them walk away with the Black Soul-stone anyway because he knew something was up and is actually the kind of guy who'd say no you can't use my nice thing until I know why it's not the way it should be, again he's not wrong but he also could've decided to go with the Nephalim when they refused his offer of ruler-ship, and if he had a few of the later things probably would've gone very differently.

Kulle believes absolutely in the importance of humanity to creation, and he's right. Where he goes wrong is that in his quest for the improvement of Humanity he ironically lost most of the things that made him human, and he isn't actually a Nephalim he's something else by the time we meet him in game. Heck he's not dead after this either because when people say Kulle is immortal they aren't kidding, he really is impossible to kill. Basically Kulle is right but going about it the wrong way and the Nephalim would rather get back to their quest to save Sanctuary than do something that might take longer and by the time it's done might not work. Kulle is a bad guy for his actions and deeds not his desires and that's a very common Blizzard thing because when done right it works well, Illidan is largely the same thing to be honest in that his desires are in theory noble but every action he takes just make things worse.

There's probably a message in there about lofty goals causing people to lose sight of the little things that matter.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 25, 2015

• Locked thread