Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So, did I miss the part in game where they actually explained what a "Nephalim" is, or have they not touched on it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Derek Barona posted:

So, did I miss the part in game where they actually explained what a "Nephalim" is, or have they not touched on it yet?

Nephilim were the ancestors of mankind, the offspring of demons and angels and more powerful than either. The Worldstone was put in place by angels to limit the nephilim's power, weakening them and eventually turning them into ordinary humans. With the Worldstone's destruction at the end of Diablo 2, the sleeping power in humanity is beginning to reawaken. The PCs in Diablo 3 are among the first of the reawakened nephilim.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Cythereal posted:

Nephilim were the ancestors of mankind, the offspring of demons and angels and more powerful than either. The Worldstone was put in place by angels to limit the nephilim's power, weakening them and eventually turning them into ordinary humans. With the Worldstone's destruction at the end of Diablo 2, the sleeping power in humanity is beginning to reawaken. The PCs in Diablo 3 are among the first of the reawakened nephilim.

The first time that you encounter Nephalem are the 3 Barbarian Ancients who guard the entrance to Mt. Arreat(D3 also refers to these 3 as the Immortal Kings). At some point Ancients and Nephalem became synonymous with one another, but I'm not sure if its expressly told that the PC is a Nephalem yet. Interestingly, Nephalim refers to Offspring of the Sons of God, which is probably where they derived inspiration for what the Player Character should be like.

I probably should go out and buy The Book of Cain and Book of Tyreal to read through rather than scanning various wiki articles :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
To answer the question, I'm not sure that the game actually touches on exactly what Nephalem are, just that they are. I'm willing to be proven wrong by this.

Cythereal has the right of it (sorry Koobes); all "humans" on Sanctuary are technically Nephalem, but only some of them are getting the power they inherited from their progenitors back.

I think all my knowledge of this comes from the novels THAT I TOTALLY DID NOT READ BECAUSE I AM A COOL SEXHAVER, especially the Sin War trilogy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zarin posted:

To answer the question, I'm not sure that the game actually touches on exactly what Nephalem are, just that they are. I'm willing to be proven wrong by this.

Lore books do, in Act 5 if nothing else where you read the journals of the angel and demon who first fled to Sanctuary and whose children were the first nephilim.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
In D3 it's either "Nephalem" or "Nefullum", depending on how many times you played story mode back in the day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I know, I'm just being contrary since nephilim are a well established bit of real world mythology that have featured in many fantasy settings and Blizzard isn't being clever by changing the spelling a bit.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I like that the reason they're more powerful isn't because they're outright stronger. It's that they can use both angelic and demonic powers, so of course they're stronger than Angels or Demons. So Kulle's plan to take over all of creation with an army of Nephalem might not even work because they're not outright more powerful they're just more flexible in most cases, the Player Characters are of course special because they've all gone through some pretty serious training. Although this is my interpretation of the Nephalem being more powerful and I may in fact be wrong.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Cythereal posted:

I know, I'm just being contrary since nephilim are a well established bit of real world mythology that have featured in many fantasy settings and Blizzard isn't being clever by changing the spelling a bit.

If they wanted to be clever, they could start by not using a plural word as singular. For those who don't know, '-im' is the masculine plural in Hebrew. It's like calling the D3 hero "a giants".

George
Nov 27, 2004

They thought they were so clever... but in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Tyreal knows what you are, he's just choosing to save it for a later date, because Angels are kinda dicks like that, Kulle was the first person ingame to directly hint that you are a Nephalem so I believe.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
All it really comes down to is Blizzard needed a Gender/Class Neutral thing to call the PC with all that voiced dialogue. [Like Shepherd in Mass Effect] Which is pretty funny when you consider many of the minor NPC's use Class and Gender in their lines it is just the big guys that spam Nephalem all over.

^ Ancient Dead Ghost Neph Guy in Act 1 hints at it.

George
Nov 27, 2004

MadHat posted:

All it really comes down to is Blizzard needed a Gender/Class Neutral thing to call the PC with all that voiced dialogue. [Like Shepherd in Mass Effect] Which is pretty funny when you consider many of the minor NPC's use Class and Gender in their lines it is just the big guys that spam Nephalem all over.

"My friend..."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Judge Tesla posted:

Kulle was the first person ingame to directly hint that you are a Nephalem so I believe.

Aside from Maghda and the nephilim ghosts in Act 1. It's hinted that you're nephil right from the start.

Demon Hunters get a nice bit of visual foreshadowing that no one comments on: one of their class powers gives them shadowy angel-style wings while it's active.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I just wanted to give Kulle some credit since he got shafted by the game so much. :smith:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What impressed me most about Kulle is that he actually had a plan. Not a good plan, but one if you squint at it could kind of work for him, which is almost unprecedented in fantasy RPG antagonists. Their plans usually are "raise big army, invade people, ???" in classic underpants gnome fashion.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so wait, was Kulle in the base game or was he added? I seriously cannot remember him from when I played, but then again that was 3.5 years ago and I only played the game once, so my memory is probably really hazy

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Aces High posted:

so wait, was Kulle in the base game or was he added? I seriously cannot remember him from when I played, but then again that was 3.5 years ago and I only played the game once, so my memory is probably really hazy

He was there, I don't own reaper of souls but do own D3 and do recall him being there.

He was a lot harder when the game launched.

That or I sucked at it.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren: New Update :siren:

Videos:

Episode #9-1
Episode #9-2 Chatting with Caldeum

Lore Books:
Beastiary:
We're Back! Sorry for the Hiatus, should have stuff coming back out somewhat regularly again. I forgot how close to the end of Act II we were.

Koobes fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 20, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Oh boy, here comes Azmodan and the chapter a lot of people really hate, I enjoy it myself, but that's for reasons that will soon become very, very clear.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

hurray you guys are back :) I was a little worried that Act II had defeated you

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Was there any point in Belial trying to trick the heroes with his disguise? I could not see any advantage he could gain from doing so unless he really thought that the Nephalem would not only show him the soulstone, but also hand it over, which seems unreasonable optimistic.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Judge Tesla posted:

Everyone likes Zoltun Cool, for that is his true name, and also the Steve Blum quota for the game.

There is a potion called Zoltons Kulle-aid.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Holy poo poo, is that James Hong doing the weirdest accent ever? Man, the accents in this game are just all over the place. It's like Star Wars or Dota.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Watching the Belial boss fight, it only now occurs to me that the Zurvan boss fight in Starcraft 2's first expansion is almost entirely a copy/paste of the Belial fight.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Oh boy, here comes Azmodan and the chapter a lot of people really hate, I enjoy it myself, but that's for reasons that will soon become very, very clear.

I think Act III has the best aesthetic of all the acts, and probably my favorite act overall. It does have some problems however.

Crystalgate posted:

Was there any point in Belial trying to trick the heroes with his disguise? I could not see any advantage he could gain from doing so unless he really thought that the Nephalem would not only show him the soulstone, but also hand it over, which seems unreasonable optimistic.

I never actually knew that there was no prince the whole time, and it being Belial until this playthrough :downs:. Based off how Tyreal talks about him, he prefers misdirection to direct combat, which is probably why he attempted to do that.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Koobes posted:

I never actually knew that there was no prince the whole time, and it being Belial until this playthrough :downs:. Based off how Tyreal talks about him, he prefers misdirection to direct combat, which is probably why he attempted to do that.
Obviously, but isn't he supposed to at least attempt to benefit from his misdirection? I can buy a blue sweater, tell my friends and family I bought a green one and absolutely everyone will fall for it. Him pretending to be the prince to the Nephalem is easy as long as the Nephalem has no stakes in it and also pointless unless Belial benefits from it. The only possible benefit I can see would be if the Nephalem had handed over the soulstone, which again, I find unreasonable optimistic of Belial.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

Belial is the sneaky puppet master type villain, he only fights you because you've backed him into a corner he can't manipulate his way out of.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Judge Tesla posted:

Belial is the sneaky puppet master type villain, he only fights you because you've backed him into a corner he can't manipulate his way out of.

I think his overall plan was that you'd leave Caldeum to go after Azmodan, who he'd probably point you at, which would leave him alone as the supreme ruler of Hell.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That sort of falls through when you remember we came to Caldeum chasing HIS cult leader, though. After she killed Cain, there's no way we'd leave without settling the score.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Derek Barona posted:

That sort of falls through when you remember we came to Caldeum chasing HIS cult leader, though. After she killed Cain, there's no way we'd leave without settling the score.

Yeah, but if the PC hadn't figured out the gig I could have bought him saying "Belial ran off to Azmodan's forces while you were busy saving the civilian population. Azmodan's going to attack from Arreat Crater, so you'll need to deal with him to get to Belial."

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

This is what always bothered me about Act 2, how in the hell does your guy know about Belial's disguise? Other than "well lol of course it's super obvious" there is nothing ever said about your character not trusting the emperor or anything like that would hint at it up until right before the boss fight.

At least we're going to Act 3 next, i'm excited!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

This is what always bothered me about Act 2, how in the hell does your guy know about Belial's disguise? Other than "well lol of course it's super obvious" there is nothing ever said about your character not trusting the emperor or anything like that would hint at it up until right before the boss fight.

If you exhaust every dialogue with him, at some point your companion or your character will comment that his story seems inconsistent.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Either Tyreal decided to tell you (offscreen) or you always knew but were just playing along with Belial's nonsense.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Playing along, which in turn lead to hundreds of people dying to those green meteors

Good going Nephalim :downsbravo:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Tarezax posted:

If you exhaust every dialogue with him, at some point your companion or your character will comment that his story seems inconsistent.
Apparently, being a lord of lies doesn't mean you're good at lying, just that you do so a lot. Well, the lord of sin is up next. Even though he's the lord of sin, the game claims that he's a strategical master of something. Let's see how well he does at either being the lord of sin or the lord of strategy.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Crystalgate posted:

Apparently, being a lord of lies doesn't mean you're good at lying, just that you do so a lot. Well, the lord of sin is up next. Even though he's the lord of sin, the game claims that he's a strategical master of something. Let's see how well he does at either being the lord of sin or the lord of strategy.

Note that the master strategist decided to tell the only people who could stop him exactly where he would be.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Note that the master strategist decided to tell the only people who could stop him exactly where he would be.

He is the Lord of Sin and Pride is a major sin after all. :v:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The Azmodan scene actually makes more sense if you watch it again after finishing act 3. I'll get back to that then. However, there is one problem with the scene I can discuss already now. The game tries to portray Azmodan as threatening. However, all prime evils have already been defeated by humans who weren't even Nephalem and Azmodan is a lesser evil. He will not be perceives as a threat no matter how ominous Blizzard make that cutscene. Especially not after Belial's pathetic performance. Had Blizzard managed to make Belial far more competent and the Nephalem's victory more costly, then the end of act 2 cutscene would have worked much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I want to say if Azmodan shut the gently caress up a bit more his menace could have been perceived as greater, or existent at all. The damage was kinda done long before though because the atmosphere of Diablo and the first half of Diablo 2 plus their respective manuals tone setting was completely upturned by the end of 2 and the inception of 3. I really like what the game turned into mechanics wise but being a badass divine anime warrior kinda makes it impossible to get the claustrophobic methodical sense of Ye Olde Days back. Its like if the Dark Souls series gradually turned into God of War, which obviously would upset a lot of people (myself included).

In the case of Diablo I think its pretty funny and ingenious how it all turned out.

• Locked thread