Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I'm glad to know that I was born in a universe where Andy Dick is dead. Anyone know how to get back there?

Germstore fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was pretty sure that movies have been around for a while, but apparently they weren't invented until like 2005? Weird

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Here's a schizophrenic guy talking about the BerenstEin Bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufeoYZdhlEw

Seroxat
Jan 10, 2011
Idk the first thing about the Mandela Effect but thanks to this thread I know all about the Gay OP Effect

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

This stupid Mandela Effect and its retarded Berenstain Bears bullshit have been all over social media lately and like I wish I could figure out who "broke" this non-story and punch them in the loving nuts wow a lot of people remember stuff badly because the human mind isn't perfect whoa let's blame it on parallel universes and divergent timelines instead of you know, reality?

A misanthrope posted:

no op we are all obviously stuck in the matrix

This is never not funny though.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

logical phalluses posted:

i don't know why humans don't incorporate the idea that memory is fallible into culture or common wisdom. like we've had history for thousands of years, why does it seems like we've very recently discovered that the things we thing we remember are often wrong.
I've heard that each time you recall a memory you're basically recreating it so it's fairly subject to the telephone effect or whatever they call that kids game where you see how distorted a story gets when you pass it through enough people.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i remember it always being berenstain because i noticed that it's weird how it's not pronounced beren-stayne

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LifeSizePotato posted:

i remember it always being berenstain because i noticed that it's weird how it's not pronounced beren-stayne

My family always pronounced it Beren-stayne because it's spelled "Berenstain" and we're not complete morons like apparently half the people on the Internet

also we're Jews so I promise we would have noticed if it were Berenstein

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Berenstain mystery solved. Can we focus on why Andy Dick is alive?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
someone is loving with our matrix timeline and its causing timeline ripples in the form of some childens books being misspelled

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

the other good one is the old-timey sepia photo of a bunch of guys holding out a giant 30'-wingspan bird/pterodactyl they just shot down

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
So how many creepypastas have been milked from the concept already?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Margaret thatcher has died at least twice

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

les fleurs du mall posted:

Margaret thatcher has died at least twice

that's not enough times

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
u realise all this means there has never been a fake "RIP" thread on SA

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Pick posted:

that's not enough times

The first time she just kind of died of being old margaret thatcher and that was that, typical public figure / celeb death but the second time she got a state funeral wonder how shes gunna die next, its exciting when u think about it

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

combine maggie with ronnie and let them unite the god-fearing english speaking world

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Putin steps down over and over and over but we all seem to stick 2 the dimension where he didnt

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

les fleurs du mall posted:

The first time she just kind of died of being old margaret thatcher and that was that, typical public figure / celeb death but the second time she got a state funeral wonder how shes gunna die next, its exciting when u think about it

I hope the IRA gets her next time she whack-a-moles her wrinkled rear end back out of the grave

I mean, they got really close that one time, they deserve closure

Argh
Feb 15, 2005

Base Camp Blanket posted:

Here's a schizophrenic guy talking about the BerenstEin Bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufeoYZdhlEw

haha "whew, could really use your help with this one"

what happened?

"i stumbled into a mind prison on the internet"

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's a lot simpler to realize that anyone who remembers it as "Berenstein Bears" only do because it sounded better to them/their parents that way, and they repeated it over and over again while reading the books in the technically wrong but otherwise 'better' way, and that human brains are a lot better at remembering wrong but often repeated information than correct information relayed only once leading to a superficially weird but natural result. But of course that explanation leaves no room to be a special snowflake or avoid being prone to being just as intermittently dumb as anyone else, so clearly an alternate universe is to blame.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Germstore posted:

Berenstain mystery solved. Can we focus on why Andy Dick is alive?

proof of no god?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

i think the Mandala effect is cool, in a "whole bunch of people misremembered a thing the same way" sort of way

like how if most people were asked on a poll "which female astronaut died on the Challenger Shuttle" 80% of them would probably say Sally Ride, and not Christa McAuliffe (whose name most people never learned, just the fact that she was a woman and formerly a schoolteacher)

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

This stupid Mandela Effect and its retarded Berenstain Bears bullshit have been all over social media lately and like I wish I could figure out who "broke" this non-story and punch them in the loving nuts wow a lot of people remember stuff badly because the human mind isn't perfect whoa let's blame it on parallel universes and divergent timelines instead of you know, reality?

This is never not funny though.

At some point in the future the population of elderly people actively contributing to social media is going to be large enough that we'll get to see denial of memory failures and other age related cognitive shortcomings play out as a social rather than individual phenomenon. Let's thank the internet for connecting enough people that even clearly aberrant and broken thought patterns can find a way to be socially reinforced rather than isolated.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Back to the Future 2 was p. bad after the Hoverboard stuff. And before the Hoverboard stuff, it was all just an excuse to get them into the old west.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

A misanthrope posted:

like the original mexican one?

was that the joke? does this get a "that's the joke" smiley?

I have no idea I just swear I saw a revolver with a heart shaped cylinder before in another movie

I mean I had to look up the name cause I thought it was desperado so I'm just really bad at this

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ArbitraryC posted:

I've heard that each time you recall a memory you're basically recreating it so it's fairly subject to the telephone effect or whatever they call that kids game where you see how distorted a story gets when you pass it through enough people.

Yeah if I remember right your memories are essentially frozen states of neuron connections, which pass through different regions. They generally don't get touched unless you resurface the memory and make it active again, which is when the damage can happen from consolidations and other poo poo. By the time it gets locked down into long term again it can be completely different

Or something

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

About a week after 9/11, I could have sworn a day had been skipped after I saw the date printed at the top of a newspaper. I actually wrote down the dates since then and made myself remember the days.

Btw, Berenstein/Berenstain rhymes with "line" either way.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

LifeSizePotato posted:

What's the difference between Stayne and Stain?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Benny Harvey posted:

About a week after 9/11, I could have sworn a day had been skipped after I saw the date printed at the top of a newspaper. I actually wrote down the dates since then and made myself remember the days.

Btw, Berenstein/Berenstain rhymes with "line" either way.

No, it doesn't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXiIZYsGJY

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Q-Face posted:

a bris

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i dont trust my own memory for poo poo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This whole thing strikes me as the retarded bastard child of the whole repressed memory and past lives bullshit from the 1980s. Pseudo-scientific quantum spirituality horseshit that just makes me want to slap people.

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
Now the Holocaust deniers have an excuse. Oh, we were wrong? Mendala!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

hold the gently caress up does the fey bearenstain bear identify himself as metrosexual at :38?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The best false memory is when i "borrowed $50 from you" that never happened, and you are crazy to think it did

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Humboldt Squid posted:

The best false memory is when i "borrowed $50 from you" that never happened, and you are crazy to think it did

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
for the record thought they're on to something with them bears #TheTruthIsOutThere

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

-stain is pronounced -steen by most people for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anyone who grew up with Berenstain Bears goes on my block list. I can't associate myself with dirty "Universe B" posters.

• Locked thread