Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

circ dick soleil posted:

My parents knew a guy who wouldn't let his kid have anything plastic and the kid started collecting plastic bags off the street and hording them in his closet.

Then he stuck them over his head and almost sufficated.

He may have endured brain damage and will never be "right", but he is now our beloved poster, dgsw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
NO PLASTIC, LOSE YOUR SPASTIC!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
What I'm saying NedFlanders is that if you really want to sabotage your child's social life, there are easier ways of doing it.

I would say you could get him a budget circumcision, but I hear they're mostly ripoffs.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 26, 2015

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

circ dick soleil posted:

What I'm saying NedFlanders is that if you really want to sabotage your child's life, there are easier ways of doing it.

hes already religious

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
If capitalism is all about rewarding the most competent people why is inheritance a thing?

Once someone dies all his money should be erased. Not taken by the government or inherited by his family, just completely erased. Only when that happens I will take capitalism seriously.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I despise people who don't have to live in poverty.

Now let me tell you about my plan to make sure nobody has to live in poverty.

Kanthulhu posted:

If capitalism is all about rewarding the most competent people why is inheritance a thing?

It's not, that's meritocracy

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

circ dick soleil posted:

My parents knew a guy who wouldn't let his kid have anything plastic and the kid started collecting plastic bags off the street and hording them in his closet.

Richard Nixon

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
If I support everyone supporting everyone else then I don't have to do nothing

(Things GBS posters actually believe)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kanthulhu posted:

Once someone dies all his money should be erased. Not taken by the government or inherited by his family, just completely erased. Only when that happens I will take capitalism seriously.

Capitalism is a way to keep those that are ahead as far ahead as possible using the legal system, which is nice because the legal system requires liquid capital and leisure to access, so icapitalism synergizes pretty well with rule of law societies to crush the gently caress out of those born without enough money to have a home and a rental/franchise.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Laziness synergizes pretty well with a lack of personal responsibility to cause the same effect

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Mods please rename op to puppetmaster

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I dated a girl who was a trust fund baby, spent money on training horses/hiring riders to win with them/re-selling them literally flips horses and makes $$$ like a few hundred thousand a year with this hobby, couldn't stand it that I couldn't stand her and she will still occasionally call my cell pretending it was an accident in hopes that I pick up.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ColoradoCleric posted:

On one hand I'm going to get a substantial trust fund when I get older

On the other hand I got schizophrenia when I was 23

The tense in this post elevates it to art

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Runaktla posted:

I dated a girl who was a trust fund baby, spent money on training horses/hiring riders to win with them/re-selling them literally flips horses and makes $$$ like a few hundred thousand a year with this hobby, couldn't stand it that I couldn't stand her and she will still occasionally call my cell pretending it was an accident in hopes that I pick up.

Why didnt you impregnate her?

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

a bay posted:

Laziness synergizes pretty well with a lack of personal responsibility to cause the same effect

Give an example of one of your responisbilities please. Making sure your sister doesnt OD again doesnt count here.

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

I would say you could get him a budget circumcision, but I hear they're mostly ripoffs.

:chanpop:

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Sassafrasquatch posted:

Give an example of one of your responisbilities please. Making sure your sister doesnt OD again doesnt count here.

If and when I decide to have children, I will be responsible for making enough money to support their needs, instead of pretending that hardship builds character and is actually better than being an adequate provider because I would rather whine about capitalism on the internet all day than work

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Mods please rename op to puppetmaster

Mods please rename op to BANNED

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

So none then. K.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Sassafrasquatch posted:

So none then. K.

School doesnt start for another 2 weeks so basically no, not right now lol. How about you, whats one of your responsibilities?

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

While serving in the Army, I was in a regiment that had very well off aristocratic officers and enlisted men equally. There were many who enlisted as it was part of the requirements to be eligible for their inheritances.

It is normally a ceremonial regiment, however when Iraq 1.0 kicked off and a handful went off to storm the desert, watching these pansy rich boys cower in fear was the highlight of my time being enlisted.

That said, some of those aristocratic morons lived for that poo poo and would run around with swords and try to be Robert Duval.

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

a bay posted:

School doesnt start for another 2 weeks so basically no, not right now lol. How about you, whats one of your responsibilities?

Owning you forever.

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

Seriously though, im starting a new job in a week and a half, so besides moving i have no responsibilities either and its kind of nice, but im ready to get back to work.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Sassafrasquatch posted:

Seriously though, im starting a new job in a week and a half,

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
OP, I'm trying to pin down why you think it's perfectly cool and good to get free money from your family, but terrible and wrong to get it from the government. Either way you're getting money you didn't earn by working, so why does the source matter so much? Welfare money is the minimum you need to stay alive (or it's supposed to be - in fact, welfare often supplements the income of low-wage workers), so how can you begrudge someone that bare minimum when you have more than enough to live in comfort?

And if you say "the government money was stolen from my taxes," then I'm gonna tell you right now I think that's bullshit. If you refuse to give up a fraction of your income to ensure that people don't die in the gutter, then you should have it taken from you. That's not to say that you shouldn't have the right to amass staggering amounts of money - if you can, then good for you - but when the right to live and the right to property conflict, then gently caress you if you choose property.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Mad Monk posted:

I have a friend in a wheel chair, born with a weird muscular dystrophy type disease, blamed for all the problems in the family, dad was a vietnam vet that would get drunk and fling by his legs into a wall screaming at him about being worthless. Grandparents are billionaires who hate the parents and pretend my friend doesn't exist because it's embarrassing to them. 20 years later they have another son who is athletic and in perfect health he gets $25k a month as long as he gives none of it to any other family member from his grandparents and will inherent around a billion dollars. Luckily my friend is an attorney and practicing CPA so he's able to ignore his ugly family.

Families that setup their kids with trust funds are usually abhorrently terrible people. I was born and raised in Naples FL, I've never met a person from/with real money (worth tens of millions) that I've liked.

"i was born in some no-name hick town, here's what i know about multi-millionaires"

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
hellban op and three olives into their own forum that nobody else can see and that they can never leave

deprived of their precious audience, they will wilt and god willing die

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Pththya-lyi posted:

OP, I'm trying to pin down why you think it's perfectly cool and good to get free money from your family, but terrible and wrong to get it from the government. Either way you're getting money you didn't earn by working, so why does the source matter so much? Welfare money is the minimum you need to stay alive (or it's supposed to be - in fact, welfare often supplements the income of low-wage workers), so how can you begrudge someone that bare minimum when you have more than enough to live in comfort?

And if you say "the government money was stolen from my taxes," then I'm gonna tell you right now I think that's bullshit. If you refuse to give up a fraction of your income to ensure that people don't die in the gutter, then you should have it taken from you. That's not to say that you shouldn't have the right to amass staggering amounts of money - if you can, then good for you - but when the right to live and the right to property conflict, then gently caress you if you choose property.

If you cant see the difference between parents giving money they earned to their own kid for food and clothes, and the government giving working peoples' money to people who wont get a job, then I doubt I could explain it to you

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

:yeah:

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Sorry I dont have any snarky webcomics to use in place of an actual opinion, but heres a kind of script I came up with for one:

(scene: a CAPITALIST and a COMMUNIST are having brunch together)

CAPITALIST: I'm a rapist and I have an IQ of 80 (takes upside down fedora off and puts it on again but backwards)

COMMUNIST: Thats fine - thanks to the inherently unjust nature of the capitalist system we live in, that actually means you will enjoy a life of privilege far better than the hard-working, moral, and intelligent people who live on welfare!

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

a bay posted:

Sorry I dont have any snarky webcomics to use in place of an actual opinion, but heres a kind of script I came up with for one:

Shouldn't you be dead by now?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a bay posted:

I dont see how tyrust funds are different from any other kind of allowance. Like are there any arguments against trust funds that dont boil down to basic jealousy lol

the secret is to have a trust fund and also get a phd in a field that isn't history/english/women's studies and make a bunch of money on top of your allowance so you're not stuck living in a condo

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This is making me rethink my life

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

the secret is to have a trust fund and also get a phd in a field that isn't history/english/women's studies and make a bunch of money on top of your allowance so you're not stuck living in a condo

I agree. Jealous trust fund haters of course dont get that a lot of people actually want a career, even if they already have enough money for rent and cable and hrift store clothes

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

a bay posted:

(scene: a CAPITALIST and a COMMUNIST are having brunch together)

CAPITALIST: I'm a rapist and I have an IQ of 80 (takes upside down fedora off and puts it on again but backwards)

COMMUNIST: Thats fine - thanks to the inherently unjust nature of the capitalist system we live in, that actually means you will enjoy a life of privilege far better than the hard-working, moral, and intelligent people who live on welfare!

You have nothing but your money.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cram me sideways posted:

You have nothing but your money.

money buys happiness, sorry dude

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
lotta poor people itt

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Robbie Fowler posted:

lotta poor people itt

Did you see the guy that was gonna play off spending his kids clothes money on weed as a fatherly life lesson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Hobohemian posted:

Again, how do I get the free money for fake mental illness? I'll buy a Cure album, I don't give a gently caress, I want that paper.

Just pretend your back hurts and go on disability. you get like $19k/year for life and never have to work again

• Locked thread