Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm a picky eater. I always have been, and when I was a kid I went to bed hungry pretty often. My parents didn't know that picky eating can be a biological thing. I ordered one of those DNA test things from 23 & Me, and it turns out I"m a supertaster.

Almost anything that's green, I can't eat. Leafy vegetables, broccoli, asparagus are all out. They're nasty and taste like how awful morning vitamin piss smells. Even limes make me gag, and I can detect even the smallest amount of lime in any food (vodka cokes are my drink, but the bartender always wants to put a lime on the glass, ruining the drink for me. Most people would think that the lime doesn't get in the drink, but it's probably a subconscious thing and I just can't get that normally delicious coke down my throat. It's like the drink got tainted. For that same reason, I don't like to eat food off a plate that has had salad on it.

It's not fun at all to be a picky eater, I know I inconvenience my friends by insisting on just plain meat & cheese pizzas or by making sure there aren't gross veggies in the food at whatever restaurant they want me to try next. The absolute worst is when we go to a fancy place and the plate gets "garnished" by some gross poo poo that taints the rest of my meal. They do this even if I order off the kid's menu. I'll get it down, but it's like the whole meal just got ruined. I don't want to blow $20 on a plain chicken breast and fries just to have some idiot put kale on the plate to try and impress me.

Is anybody else a weird picky eater like me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Liverwurst. Will make me vomit if I even smell it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

eggs

i'm fine with them in desserts and french toast and poo poo, but when it comes to omelettes or breakfasts sandwiches or any other food where the egg is the main ingredient of it i always gag

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bradzilla posted:

Liverwurst. Will make me vomit if I even smell it

I ate some moldy liverwurst once and had to put it down because it tasted like blue cheese, which is the one food that makes me sick

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i also despise bbq sauce on anything. if i even smell it i get nauseous

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Keg posted:

I'm a picky eater. I always have been, and when I was a kid I went to bed hungry pretty often. My parents didn't know that picky eating can be a biological thing. I ordered one of those DNA test things from 23 & Me, and it turns out I"m a supertaster.

Almost anything that's green, I can't eat. Leafy vegetables, broccoli, asparagus are all out. They're nasty and taste like how awful morning vitamin piss smells. Even limes make me gag, and I can detect even the smallest amount of lime in any food (vodka cokes are my drink, but the bartender always wants to put a lime on the glass, ruining the drink for me. Most people would think that the lime doesn't get in the drink, but it's probably a subconscious thing and I just can't get that normally delicious coke down my throat. It's like the drink got tainted. For that same reason, I don't like to eat food off a plate that has had salad on it.

It's not fun at all to be a picky eater, I know I inconvenience my friends by insisting on just plain meat & cheese pizzas or by making sure there aren't gross veggies in the food at whatever restaurant they want me to try next. The absolute worst is when we go to a fancy place and the plate gets "garnished" by some gross poo poo that taints the rest of my meal. They do this even if I order off the kid's menu. I'll get it down, but it's like the whole meal just got ruined. I don't want to blow $20 on a plain chicken breast and fries just to have some idiot put kale on the plate to try and impress me.

Is anybody else a weird picky eater like me?

you a loving bitch OP

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Fruits and vegetables of all kinds

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

die, op.

die

keep eating from the kid's menu, you gently caress

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
brussel sprouts

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

op you are what doctors call 'a massive bellend'

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pastor Perineum posted:

die, op.

die

keep eating from the kid's menu, you gently caress
the kid's menu is good tho

they got dino nuggets

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
it must suck to be so broken you cant eat normal food

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Don't you think the way you'd act towards your hypothetical friend is significantly more childish than a person who doesn't want to eat food they hate? I mean, seriously, who the hell harasses their friends over what they eat? How is it any of your business?

I can't eat most vegetables OR fruits and I've never had anyone say anything to me about it, other than my parents when I was little, and they gave up after they realized that vegetables and fruits LITERALLY make me vomit. I can't even imagine having friends who were that dumb and controlling that they actually made fun of me for the way I ate.

Though if anyone did decide to harass me about not eating vegetables when we were out to dinner, I guess I could go ahead and put a vegetable in my mouth and start chewing and inevitably gag and vomit it up right on the table. Probably they'd stop bothering me after a while. Really though I'd just drop any friend who presumed to tell me what I can and can't eat.

I'm 33. I have normal blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight. I'm pretty sure there's no scientific proof saying that you need vegetables in order to be healthy. There are no vitamins or nutrients in vegetables that you can't get in other foods and/or pills.

Like I said, I'm a supertaster, which is an actual thing. One big thing with supertasters is that we can detect bitterness where normal people can't. Like, some people will say vodka tastes like nothing at all. Others will say it tastes only mildly bitter. To a supertaster, vodka is unbearably, extremely bitter. I'll throw up instantly if there is vodka in my mouth. This is the problem with most vegetables- they're VERY bitter to me. You can say that peas and carrots taste totally different, and they do, but they both have a VERY strong bitter taste to me that will make me instantly vomit. I'm not against trying different things- I've tried tons of different vegetables and they're pretty much all disgusting, with the exception of potatoes, onions, and tomatoes (well I guess tomatoes are technically a fruit but whatever.)

Like I said, I also can't eat most fruits because almost all fruits are sweet, and the taste- or even smell- of sweetness also makes me vomit. People can sit there and talk about how easy it is to develop an acquired taste, but they don't understand what's it's like when the large majority of food makes you literally, physically gag and throw up, sometimes just from the smell of it, let alone the taste. If I was trapped on a desert island and was starving, I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't be able to eat a vegetable, I would just gag and throw it up as soon as it was in my mouth.

Is this really a thing? People forcing themselves to eat food they hate just because they are adults and feel that "adults should eat foods they hate"? Because honestly that seems pretty ridiculous to me. If you hate carrots, why eat them? Why not just get the vitamins you could get from carrots in the form of a pill? Seriously I just find it exceptionally weird that there are people who think that eating certain foods has anything at all to do with being "an adult."

Seriously it just seems literally insane to me. Like someone could say, "Yep I hold a good job and provide for my family but hey I really don't like carrots" and you'd say they're a six-year-old because apparently adults have to eat stuff they hate. That makes no sense at all. It's like a really weird cultural thing. I don't know, I guess I just find it really sad if anyone feels they have to eat anything- or do to say anything, just in general- solely to fit into cultural expectations of what qualifies as being an "adult" whether the person actually wants to do that thing or not. Gods, I'd die if I was so insecure that I felt I had to base every one of my life habits, all the way down to my diet, on what other people thought was "mature" or "acceptable" or whatever.

As I said before, sweetness also makes me vomit, just like the bitterness of vegetables does, so no, I do not eat candy.

Well, OK, exception: I can eat dark chocolate. Sometimes I'll eat a small piece of dark chocolate after a meal. But milk chocolate is disgusting because it's too sweet. And I definitely cannot drink coffee- it's far too bitter.

And I can't drink any kind of cola at all because it's far too sweet.

I DO like Sprite. Also lemonade, because it seems more sour than sweet. Those two things are the only things I can drink besides water. Mostly I just drink tons of water. And I can't stand tap water, it has to be filtered, or bottled water that has been filtered.

This is a list of pretty much any meal I eat ever:

- Steak and a baked potato with cheese and sour cream
- cheeseburger with ONLY ketchup and mayo and potato chips
- broiled fish (either whitefish or tilapia, no other kind) and clam chowder
- fried chicken and jojos with ranch dressing
- kung pao chicken and steamed white rice
- beef and cheese burrito and tortilla chips and salsa
- spicy chicken sandwich with cheese and mayo on it and potato chips
- hamburger helper (classic) and potato chips
- tuna helper (classic) and potato chips
- buffalo wings and mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce
- cheese ravioli with marinara sauce and garlic bread

And yeah that is pretty much all I eat ever at any time. It's not even like it's fun or anything. I've been eating the same stuff for so many years that I'm really, really sick of it, but I literally cannot stomach eating anything else, and believe me I have tried.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i ate a knockoff Swiss roll that definitely was made in Mexico and infested with maggots. it was real good I felt good after eating it.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Guacamole

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

tetsuo posted:

Guacamole
gay

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
fermented stuff

DEAL WITH IT

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

you a loving bitch OP

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

tetsuo posted:

Guacamole

kill yourself no really

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Your mom's bung

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
None! You get to eat, what the gently caress?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Limburger. I love cheese and decided to give this infamous classic a try and nearly threw up. It smells like the feet of a man who hadn't bathed since January (or maybe ever), then died a couple of weeks ago, his bloated corpse ripening in the sun. It's disgusting.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Cubelodyte posted:

Limburger. I love cheese and decided to give this infamous classic a try and nearly threw up. It smells like the feet of a man who hadn't bathed since January (or maybe ever), then died a couple of weeks ago, his bloated corpse ripening in the sun. It's disgusting.
i loving love cheese (including Limburger and goat cheese), but the ones that get me are babybel cheese and those lovely processed Kraft slices. disgusting.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
nothing makes me gag with the exception of actual spoiled inedible food because im a normal human adult male that was raised correctly

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Chinatown posted:

nothing makes me gag with the exception of actual spoiled inedible food because im a normal human adult male that was raised correctly
gag on my dick

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

you a loving bitch OP

Agree the OP is a weak rear end bitch. Also only some foods (cilantro is the main one) have a genetic component to whether or not you like them, not just every green vegetable.

Video of the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
cum

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I eat everything I eat rear end I'm indiscriminate

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gag on my cock, op.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hard boiled eggs make me gag its loving disgusting how bad they taste and smell

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hell Yeah posted:

gag on my cock, op.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
Artificial cherry or real cherries that aren't literally right off the tree and still sour. Cherry cough syrup has made me vomit on contact since I was little

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Beetroot. It tastes like mud. I used to be indifferent to it until one time when I was a kid and had a stomach bug and had beetroot and apple stew, and I ended up vomiting up all this bright pink stuff that tasted of mud. It's nice if it's raw or pickled as part of a bigger salad, vinegar stops it tasting so muddy, but when it's cooked I just associate it too much with bright pink muddy vomit.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Scandinavians have some straight up rank rear end food that I'm pretty sure is a very well played practical joke they've been pulling for centuries.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

you might want to get him tested

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
poop lol only kidding

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bleu cheese is great vegetables are great fruit is great beets are great if you come into MY house with that weak poo poo I'm going to assume you're an accountant and put you into the back yard with the other accountants where the fence is high enough that they can't get out.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

Bleu cheese is great vegetables are great fruit is great beets are great if you come into MY house with that weak poo poo I'm going to assume you're an accountant and put you into the back yard with the other accountants where the fence is high enough that they can't get out.
are you an accountant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
god i love a good bleu cheese

i used to hate it when i was a kid but then i became an adult and realized that it owns

this also applies to other things likfe coffee, alcohol, and most importantly sushi/raw fish/seafood

• Locked thread