Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Are you unemployed? Let's talk about our hirings firings job hunts and lazy "I qualified for unemployment and it pays my bills so gently caress it I'm not wearing pants for 3 months" stories.

Here's mine:
I was hired by a logging company to train to be their new warehouse manager. After about 2 months they inform me that the current office manager is going to be the warehouse manager once the current warehouse manager retires. I ask if it's something I'm doing/not doing and they tell me I'm doing a good job. I ask around and the current shop lead tells me that before I got hired, everyone was out at a bar (small company) and the president told everyone that they'd be looking for someone to replace the warehouse manager when they retire. Apparently, the office manager threw a huge fit since she'd been basically training to take over that position for a year or so already. The Shop lead also told me that they're paying me more than they've ever paid anyone to do my job.

2 months later, I am told I"ll be let go. The reason they gave me was that "I wasn't a good fit" and that " I was going a great job". I filed for unemployment and the behest of my friends/family. and I QUALIFIED! after doing the math on what I'm NOT paying by staying home (gas/car wear & tear/ child care) turns out, it only costs me like, $25 a week to not have to work. So gently caress it. I'm taking 4 months off, maybe more? WHO KNOWS?!

Share your jobless stories! or talk about what it's like to live @ ur mom's! or mock the chronically unhirable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm indefinitely jobless until next summer and living off $600 i have saved up while i'm at college

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
cool story i didnt read lol

gently caress you poor

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
im gonna get hired soon being unemployed kicks rear end

az
Dec 2, 2005

I clicked this thread and "rock bottom" started on my playlist thanks for reading

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i've been fired a couple of times, but i got jobs afterwards. i'm working right now. hang in there baby. peace.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

az posted:

I clicked this thread and "rock bottom" started on my playlist thanks for reading
UFO's "Rock Bottom"?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I'm half way to retirement in my current job. 15 years, I've had to sweat through some lay offs but I survived each one. I've got a good retirement plan, great benefits and I actually enjoy my job and the people I work with. I'm one of the lucky ones.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I want to quit my job and live in a tent underneath the interstate.

puppet pal mitch
Oct 23, 2008
having nothing to do sounds great until you try it. enjoy 4 months of depression and lethargy op

az
Dec 2, 2005

symbolic posted:

UFO's "Rock Bottom"?

its a p good song

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

az posted:

its a p good song
UFO is a p good band

az
Dec 2, 2005

symbolic posted:

UFO is a p good band

good luck in your conquest of unemploymentude brother

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

az posted:

good luck in your conquest of unemploymentude brother
i shall try my best, brother

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!
I'm probably going to get fired from my job soon. I keep missing days.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Monk posted:

I'm half way to retirement in my current job. 15 years, I've had to sweat through some lay offs but I survived each one. I've got a good retirement plan, great benefits and I actually enjoy my job and the people I work with. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Congrats dude! I super glad things a panning out!

Pictured: My retirement plan.

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 26, 2015

az
Dec 2, 2005

I hope youre talking about suicide cause if you shoot up your old job I dont want to get my good username dragged through the news

cnn reports that the deranged gunman went as trollogist on a webzone called something awful???

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

I spent almost the entirety of last year unemployed. I got up at noon every day, went to the gym and did whatever I wanted.
Regular exercise helps a lot with staving off the misery from slowly bleeding to death financially.
I wound up running out of money and my EI ran out, so I had to leave the province. Fortunately I got a job about a week after I rolled town. But there's always that looming fear that this time on EI is going to be the time that finally ruins you.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
how does unemployment work? does anybody get it who was fired? is it the same amount of money as you were making or some like minimum wage bs? ive been working for 12 years now and I've never been fired because im a good employee

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
congratulations!!!!!

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mad Monk posted:

Bravo Mad Monk. Living well is the best revenge.

State employee & never been laid off in 20 yrs. Overtime is insane. I have co-workers making over 45%+ their salary in OT so far this year. I routinely get mandated for overtime about 2-3x a week. Instead of being stupid with my money, my cars are almost paid off, my insurance is taken care of for the year & I've increased by differed comp. contributions up to 21%.

I have less than 5yrs to go till retirement if I choose to, If I stay an additional 5yr I'll increase my pension by another 10%. I'm #3 in seniority at my place & before I get within sniffing distance of lay-offs they'll have to let go of every swinging dick under me (almost 30+guys). But how is that even possible? Because of UNION POWAH! Suck it free market douchbags.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

State employee & never been laid off in 20 yrs. Overtime is insane. I have co-workers making over 45%+ their salary in OT so far this year. I routinely get mandated for overtime about 2-3x a week. Instead of being stupid with my money, my cars are almost paid off, my insurance is taken care of for the year & I've increased by differed comp. contributions up to 21%.

I have less than 5yrs to go till retirement if I choose to, If I stay an additional 5yr I'll increase my pension by another 10%. I'm #3 in seniority at my place & before I get within sniffing distance of lay-offs they'll have to let go of every swinging dick under me (almost 30+guys). But how is that even possible? Because of UNION POWAH! Suck it free market douchbags.

:hfive: Work for the state as well but for a university and we don't have budget for overtime but I earn more vacation time than I could ever possibly use in a year.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Just got my masters in journalism. Can't wait to make six figures.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm being made redundant in the next 6-9 months. I will look forward to up to six months of JSA (although I think I will probably have a job lined up by then anyway).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I was out of work for a year when the recession hit (I work in IT). Unemployment in Ohio is a joke, they don't pay enough to live on unless you plan on not paying for a home.

I've now been at a job for 5+ years .. which is the longest I ever have been. I wish you the best sir goon.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Trollologist posted:

after doing the math on what I'm NOT paying by staying home (gas/car wear & tear/ child care) turns out, it only costs me like, $25 a week to not have to work. So gently caress it. I'm taking 4 months off, maybe more? WHO KNOWS?!

Are you just going to sit around your house for four months?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

My Q-Face posted:

He already said thats the plan poo poo lord learn to read

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
u got laid off not fired

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

bossy lady posted:

hah

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

bossy lady posted:

There's a, uh, job opening in Virginia :smith:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am my own employer. I make my own times, my own plans

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i rob people

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mad Monk posted:

There's a, uh, job opening in Virginia :smith:
i loving thought of this in my comm seminar earlier and giggled a bit

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I wish I was "got fired."

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

My Q-Face posted:

Basically. I bought a soldering iron for some small projects I have been working on. And I plan to have strict exercise plan of doing the occasional sit up to stick to.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I quit my job a year ago. It was the best thing I ever did. I'd have to be starving to even think about getting another job and even then I'd probably just root around for berries and poo poo instead.

E: vvvvvvv good eating on blackberries in the summer too

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 26, 2015

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
If you run out of food OP you can always eat nettles, ground elder, plantain and dandelions

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
OP, deer is also plentiful in a lot of US regions and it tastes pretty good.

it's also a lean meat which will help you with your gainz from all that working out you will do

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
What about the movie where Tom hanks lived at the airport? You could do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I'm burnt out af

• Locked thread