Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I worked for a batshit insane Iranian princess for 6.5 years, her parents were loaded from being high up in the oil industry there or something. The company was basically her hobby farm, so I got to gently caress around all day when she wasn't looking, which was often. Every day for the first three or four years was like JPOD on meth. I became an alcoholic at one point due to the stress.

Anyways, got laid off back in April because I wouldn't stop talking poo poo loudly about how our business model was now cold-calling preteens and stealing money from them. Rode my golden parachute into getting drunk across the caucasus, which is now a part of GBS history.

I don't plan to be employed within the next year. Awww yeah EI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ptylerdactyl
Aug 3, 2015
i got a job at a hardware store in January this year. they were hiring for either another cashier or someone to help customers and whatnot. i usually hung around the store while being unemployed for a year cause my friend worked there and when she was done with her shift we'd usually grab dinner or I'd come there for lunch with her and end up bullshitting til the end of her shift, so the people there knew me pretty well already.
so i get hired and be a guy helping customers, stocking shelves, and filling propane tanks. when I get hired some older guys lose hours and poo poo and I guess they loving hated that. so I got let go on the reason of "you're doing fine here but another store that just opened up isn't doing very well anymore so we have to cut people, and cause you're new you're first."

a week after I got fired my friend said she kept hearing about the older guys being glad I got fired cause they got their hours back. gently caress you

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
im having anal sex with shitposters in gbs for gas money (and food (not cum))

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax

puppet pal mitch posted:

having nothing to do sounds great until you try it. enjoy 4 months of depression and lethargy op

Youre allowed to leave the house even if you don't have a job.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
me 2. :(

im very depressed. :(

which is why i post in gbs. :(

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

puppet pal mitch posted:

having nothing to do sounds great until you try it. enjoy 4 months off

This but unironically

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lotophage posted:

Youre allowed to leave the house even if you don't have a job.

Yeah. Ima go on a 5hr hike today.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ptylerdactyl posted:

a week after I got fired my friend said she kept hearing about the older guys being glad I got fired cause they got their hours back. gently caress you
it's okay all of those baby boomers will retire in like 10 to 15 years

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
unemployed for 2.5 years lol

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

quit my last job because one of the supervisors was a soulless oval office who had full run of the place because the owner was too busy attending charity events and skiing/golfing to actually attend to his only business (also he repeatedly "forgot" to send me my last paycheck until i threatened to file a complaint with the state DoL)

learning programming/web design now, hopefully i can soon start applying for jobs that won't put me in competition with middle-aged women who have already spent half their lives doing menial part-time clerical work

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

sexy mouse posted:

unemployed for 2.5 years lol

Thanks Obama (unironically)

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"wasnt a good fit" means you are too annoying to be around

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

dad gay. so what posted:

"wasnt a good fit" means you are too annoying to be around

..yet you persist.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Hell No posted:

learning programming/web design now, hopefully i can soon start applying for jobs that won't put me in competition with middle-aged women who have already spent half their lives doing menial part-time clerical work

Good luck guy! My buddy did that and now he makes great money working for Reuters news. Before he went to school he was doing bull poo poo work as some dumb call center

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
OP do you have any really good ideas, you could become an ideas guy like me

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Unemployment is cool in theory but since you're working on a limited budget you can't really make the most of your time. And now that summer is wrapping up so you'll be cooped inside?? Yeesh.

I'd suggest donating plasma as a way to get out of the house and earn some disposable income.

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Im not a consultant anymore.

But, if I take classes I get paid about 2200 bux a month.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Im not a consultant anymore.

But, if I take classes I get paid about 2200 bux a month.

How much for you to hold onto the c5 shaped like a vagina after its lit?

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

TwoFire posted:

How much for you to hold onto the c5 shaped like a vagina after its lit?

What?

Go away.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Please give me a job. Preferably one where I don't have to leave my house.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

psyopmonkey2 posted:

What?

Go away.

No.

Really.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Unguided posted:

Look into becoming a famous fantasy fiction writer

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Unguided posted:

Camwhore/twitch streamer

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
a few years ago i was driving forklift for a sawmill, when one day due to another worker's negligence a metal band whipped back at me and sliced my arm at the elbow

I needed stitches so I went and told the supervisor, who then had me sit in the boss's office and wait from him to come over from the planar mill. The boss showed up with two supervisors who then tried to convince me for about 15 mins to not go to the doctor. I knew it was because it'd ruin their safety streak, which the regular employees no longer got an end of the year bonus for. I insisted and eventually they drove me to the doctor where I got stitches. I was not disciplined for being injured because I didn't break any safety rules.

The following week I was driving a massive heavy machinery type forklift. It's front wheel drive only and spun out in some soft gravel at the end of the yard. The old man training me in the area went and got another one just like it and a chain. He hooked them up and pulled me forward about 6 ft. Then we went about the work day. We got called in the office at the end of the day and were told we were in trouble for not filling out safety paperwork on the incident. We were suspended pending an investigation.

One week later I was called in to work where I was fired and told that I was showing a pattern of unsafe behavior. The old man went back to work.

I filed for unemployment and had to have a hearing with a state attorney and the boss and HR lady from the mill to determine if I was fired for reasons other than they said. I won the case easily as the state attorney found that I had not broken any of their safety rules(of which he had a complete copy for reference), and had been under the direction of another senior employee over towing the forklift.

Basically I got fired for going to the doctor and probably could have sued their rear end off. Instead I just got my unemployment that payed me while I attended college, and wasn't required to look for work for two years while getting paid.

Thank you koch brothers owned georgia pacific

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 26, 2015

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
If you're seriously looking for a job it's extremely easy to get into a utility company. It does take time but it's a recession proof job. You'd be amazed at the idiots they let control your gas and electricity.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
It's pretty lol how goons will poo poo on engineers/tech people/etc meanwhile half you fuckers are sad that your burgeoning hardware store career or call center) job didn't work out. Basically, if you're not making at Bare Minimum 50K/year kill yourself because you are a disappointment to everyone you love

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Business Octopus posted:

It's pretty lol how goons will poo poo on engineers/tech people/etc meanwhile half you fuckers are sad that your burgeoning hardware store career or call center) job didn't work out. Basically, if you're not making at Bare Minimum 50K/year kill yourself because you are a disappointment to everyone you love

That seems kind of mean.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Business Octopus posted:

how much do you make a year

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Trollologist posted:

Congrats dude! I super glad things a panning out!

Pictured: My retirement plan.

That was my plan for a while since I can't seem to find a job. (You do mean suicide, not homocide, right?) But I'm moving to a better area, so hopefully I won't have to resort to that.

Edit: Oh yeah. the move is scheduled for later this week and I've gotten 3 phone calls from places I interviewed with at the beginning of the year wanting to offer me jobs.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

any a you retards want a job in my underwear factory? lmao

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

symbolic posted:

how much do you make a year

5 trillion dollars

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Business Octopus posted:

5 trillion dollars
wasn't that an Anti-Flag song?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Business Octopus posted:

have you considering blowing me

serious question

Edit: for the record and to be fair I am a disappointment to everyone I love

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 26, 2015

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Unemployment sucks. They make you attend mandatory Re-employment sessions where you get to sit with 60 other unemployed people and listen to this dude say it's going to be okay, and if you want to get hired dont use an email address that says dickcum52@yahoo.com. Then he goes on to explain that companies cannot discriminate against age, race, etc. 40 loving hands go up and are waving in the air asking if they can sue for lots of money if they really ask how old you are, etc.

It's so loving sad. It's all white people, too. Like one minority dude sitting in the back thinking "Holy poo poo this is a lot of unemployed white people!".

It's loving boring sitting around watching what used to be your hobbies become the most hated thing ever.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was on food stamps for a while and they made you go to unemployment centers where the lady told us to watch Youtube to learn new skills. Had a temp job that lasted three months but since last December I haven't been able to find full time employment. Been selling all my stuff lately as I'll probably be living out of my car in a month. Do I get to add to the homeless veteran statistic because I don't get any cool veteran points while applying to jobs because I am not broken? Good thing my math degree should make me desirable, oh wait you want a MS or PhD.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You're a vet with a degree?

You realize that a lot of states will put vets at the top of the line for interviews, yeah? If the job only takes 10 people to interview, and none of those guys are vets, you're sitting at the number one spot. Other dudes will be bumped off no matter how well their questionnaires/essays were.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Philthy posted:

You realize that a lot of states will put vets at the top of the line for interviews, yeah? If the job only takes 10 people to interview, and none of those guys are vets, you're sitting at the number one spot. Other dudes will be bumped off no matter how well their questionnaires/essays were.

didn't the Supreme Court ban Affirmative Action ?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Philthy posted:

If you're talking about the protected veteran status, that only applies if you are recently seperated (withn 2 years), have campaign ribbons, a disabled veteran, or a vietnam veteran. I got out in 2009 and didn't claim disability. Since I was forward deployed in the navy that means I was out to sea near Japan, so no campaign ribbons. I don't get special veteran points.

Don't get me wrong, at least I got to to use the gi bill for school. But as far as military experience on my resume, no job seems to give a poo poo. Most people don't even know what sonar is or even what a math degree does.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 26, 2015

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

i got laid off 18 months ago and am essentially unemployable at this point, even with a decade of professional non-retail experience. gently caress me and kill me

or kill me and gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

SPACE HOMOS posted:

If you're talking about the protected veteran status, that only applies if you are recently seperated (withn 2 years), have campaign ribbons, a disabled veteran, or a vietnam veteran. I got out in 2009 and didn't claim disability. Since I was forward deployed in the navy that means I was out to sea near Japan, so no campaign ribbons. I don't get special veteran points.

Don't get me wrong, at least I got to to use the gi bill for school. But as far as military experience on my resume, no job seems to give a poo poo. Most people don't even know what sonar is or even what a math degree does.

NDSM is a campaign medal. Everyone who served since 2001 has it. Including you.

• Locked thread