Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Wendigee posted:

If she has no living family... and no one in the will... I really don't know what would happen to it!

If she does have living family and they don't care about the house and just want some money then yeah... a lawyer type would probably take care of it and send them the money or if the house wasn't paid off the bank might do it to try to pay off some of the debt or lien.

Both parents came from another province, brother died in the war, sister died in the 60's, unmarried, no children and she herself was unmarried with no children. Nearest family would be cousins in Ontario, maybe.

Her father had the house built in the 20's or 30's and was a politician/lawyer, so it's probably been paid off for many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Delightful thread Op thanks

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Wendigee posted:

If she has no living family... and no one in the will... I really don't know what would happen to it!

If she does have living family and they don't care about the house and just want some money then yeah... a lawyer type would probably take care of it and send them the money or if the house wasn't paid off the bank might do it to try to pay off some of the debt or lien.

Nessa posted:

Both parents came from another province, brother died in the war, sister died in the 60's, unmarried, no children and she herself was unmarried with no children. Nearest family would be cousins in Ontario, maybe.

Her father had the house built in the 20's or 30's and was a politician/lawyer, so it's probably been paid off for many years.

My first thought was the bank, too. I thought a paid-off house was just something people made up when telling fairy tales, so I don't have a clue.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Nessa are you going to go back to the house? Before the sale I mean, or is that not OK

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

Nessa are you going to go back to the house? Before the sale I mean, or is that not OK

I pass by the place frequently on my walks. It's only a couple blocks away.

I took a few pictures there the other day of the broken branches everywhere. I was going to show them to the old lady to show her what I could want to clean up in the yard.

http://imgur.com/DLB1l0F
http://imgur.com/LvTJfnw
http://imgur.com/C8xYTMn

Some photos of the broken branches and fallen tree. The tree fell over a power line during a fall windstorm. I noticed it a few days later and messaged the power company about it, so they came to remove it. It could have been a real hazard.

I'm only linking to the images because imgur is being a real butt because I'm on my iPad. I really should just get the app.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 5, 2016

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

I think that first incur link may be broken.

Anyway, I am glad someone is taking such an interest in a piece of history. I hope the sale goes well, it would be such a shame to see those pictures be thrown out. At the least you would hopefully get the chance to look at them, or talk to the inheritor, perhaps.

Good luck!

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

that's a BIG TIME tldr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
make a gif maybe?