Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

You're the side on the defense, I think. Because you've not offered one argument for having guns unrestricted in the manner they are currently that can't be digested into nationalist "It's are rights!!!".

Actually you should probably defend your position on banning something other than "I'm afraid of them and uhhh I don't really know past that"

LeeMajors posted:

Instead of stamping your feet and crying that :qq: "nobody's going to tell ME what to do!" :qq:, why don't you provide some compelling reasoning for private citizens having unfettered access to incredibly lethal and concealable weapons?

I'm not bent out of shape about it, see tezzor's posts for stamping and crying. More states than ever have legalized concealed carry and despite your screeching about blood in the streets, the streets are looking real dry from where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Actually you should probably defend your position on banning something other than "I'm afraid of them and uhhh I don't really know past that"

I'm not bent out of shape about it, see tezzor's posts for stamping and crying. More states than ever have legalized concealed carry and despite your screeching about blood in the streets, the streets are looking real dry from where I am.

If cold then how global warming? Checkmate gun change scientists.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

various cheeses posted:

I've listed a bunch of examples that provide my reasoning for my opinion. Yours is anecdotal.

Your whole country is really bad at guns, this is a fact. Every country that is better than you with guns has much less of them. Explain.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DeusExMachinima posted:

Victimless crimes are bad because I say so.

What fresh meme is this?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

I've listed a bunch of examples that provide my reasoning for my opinion. Yours is anecdotal.

Your whole country is really bad at guns, this is a fact. Every country that is better than you with guns has much less of them. Explain.

Actually we're pretty good at guns. We have a lot of them.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

various cheeses posted:

Actually we're pretty good at guns. We have a lot of them.

That is clearly not something everyone else thinks is a problem and instead something to celebrate.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

That is clearly not something everyone else thinks is a problem and instead something to celebrate.

We are in total agreement here my friend.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

various cheeses posted:

We are in total agreement here my friend.

Just out of curiosity; if you have seen the footage of those two reporters getting blasted (or any previous publicized shooting incident), do you immediately think "acceptable losses for my rights"?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rakosi posted:

Just out of curiosity; if you have seen the footage of those two reporters getting blasted (or any previous publicized shooting incident), do you immediately think "acceptable losses for my rights"?

No, it's more primal than that. He's thinking about how it wouldn't happen to him because he's strapped.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It is an indisputable fact that if you support a thing I don't like you are a terrible person and also a murderer with a small dick.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is an indisputable fact that if you support a thing I don't like you are a terrible person and also a murderer with a small dick.

This but unironically.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nazis must be good people, since other people think they are bad and terrible people for their opinions.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you are in support of something that literally makes society worse and more dangerous for others, like guns, then I agree.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Effectronica posted:

Nazis must be good people
A solid Effectronica post.

As a murderer with a small dick I find it very offensive to be constantly grouped in with people who have opinions I don't like. I'm sure some nazis have normal sized or even larger dicks.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A solid Effectronica post.

As a murderer with a small dick I find it very offensive to be constantly grouped in with people who have opinions I don't like. I'm sure some nazis have normal sized or even larger dicks.

Hey, as Harry Truman said, if you can't take the heat, get the hell out of Nagasaki.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are there guns that shoot out the plague now? Seems an inefficient way to prevent home burglaries.

You're not thinking it through; it's like ant poison. Shoot the burglar, they go home to their section 8 housing nest and spread it to their baby mommas family and within a week the black people problems are gone and the neighborhood is safe once more. Guns FTW.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rakosi posted:

You're the side on the defense, I think. Because you've not offered one argument for having guns unrestricted in the manner they are currently that can't be digested into nationalist "It's are rights!!!".

LeeMajors posted:

Instead of stamping your feet and crying that :qq: "nobody's going to tell ME what to do!" :qq:, why don't you provide some compelling reasoning for private citizens having unfettered access to incredibly lethal and concealable weapons?
That's not how it works though. If you're going to argue that I shouldn't be allowed to do something, you have to provide a compelling, affirmative case why I shouldn't. Screeching "you don't need that" doesn't cut it. So far, all you've offered is the position that western European countries have slightly lower homicide rates than the United States, and that western European countries have more restrictive laws about civilian firearms ownership than the United States, and then jumped directly to the conclusion that more restrictive laws about civilian firearms ownership causes lower homicide rates. Unfortunately, that falls apart when one looks at countries like Russia, Brazil, and the Philippines that have strict laws about civilian firearms ownership, but higher homicide rates than the United States.

Rakosi posted:

I've never understood this guilt by association thing. Do you think people should break down in tears every time they start their car or have a beer because 8,000 people a year have to die in drunk driving collisions in order for them to have their rights?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So do people agree with the full text of ZARDOZ's statements or do they just pick and choose? I think the part where "the penis is evil" gets neglected in today's society.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Does every thread in D&D get this amount of vitriol or is it just gun.txt?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

various cheeses posted:

Does every thread in D&D get this amount of vitriol or is it just gun.txt?
The Israel/Palestine thread is basically a screaming hellmouth of bile and vitrol, except My Imaginary GF plays the role of Tezzor.
Cops & Criminals gets pretty heated.
I think the half the Australia Politics thread got banned one time.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Why is everyone for remedial guns? We need smart guns for our nation's future!

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's not how it works though. If you're going to argue that I shouldn't be allowed to do something, you have to provide a compelling, affirmative case why I shouldn't. Screeching "you don't need that" doesn't cut it. So far, all you've offered is the position that western European countries have slightly lower homicide rates than the United States, and that western European countries have more restrictive laws about civilian firearms ownership than the United States, and then jumped directly to the conclusion that more restrictive laws about civilian firearms ownership causes lower homicide rates. Unfortunately, that falls apart when one looks at countries like Russia, Brazil, and the Philippines that have strict laws about civilian firearms ownership, but higher homicide rates than the United States.

You are so full of facetious strawmans.

You don't have a "slightly" higher gun homicide rate than European countries, you are off the scale. New Orleans is almost equal to Honduras, per 100,000, for gun homicide. Honduras is the country with the most gun homicides in the world. Country-wide, you average out many, many times more likely to die from gun violence. I think it's about 20 times more likely than in my country, in Europe.

Russia, Brazil and the Philippines do not exactly have the same professional police forces or controlled borders that Europe and the US do, do they? You can't seriously be trying to compare the USA to them in a gun debate with the aim of making a point that the USA isn't that bad, can you?

Rakosi posted:

Dead Reckoning posted:

I've never understood this guilt by association thing. Do you think people should break down in tears every time they start their car or have a beer because 8,000 people a year have to die in drunk driving collisions in order for them to have their rights?

That doesn't answer my question. If you could choose between the current high gun homicide rate in America, or your right to bear arms, which would you choose? Don't dodge it this time.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 28, 2015

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

gun homicide rate

Gun homicides are more special than regular homicides?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

various cheeses posted:

Yes because the topic is gun control iirc. Typical NRA distraction poo poo, answer my post first, please.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
A good argument for outright banning guns would be that a great many people demonstrably have broken brains due to the influence of guns, and the most humane way to get them to shut up about how it's a magazine/clip, not a clip/magazine, is simply to ban them outright. Significantly restricting access strikes a nice balance with people who have a reason to own and use guns.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

various cheeses posted:

I'm going to explain this in the most remedial terms so you fucks can understand it:

Guns exist purely for the purpose of killing other people and make deadly violence as easy as pulling a trigger. It is different than other methods of homicide because it is far, far, far easier to exact significant deadly violence with a minimum of effort. It is okay to legislate to make murder as difficult as possible--especially in regards to items that exist only for the purpose of killing.

Goddrat.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

various cheeses posted:

It's a loaded question maybe?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rakosi posted:

Yes because the topic is gun control iirc. Typical NRA distraction poo poo, answer my post first, please.

So you're somehow double-dead when shot by a gun vs stabbed or beaten? Give me a break you clown. Instead of specifically targeting the gun violence boogeyman, try enacting measures that target the crime rate overall.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

So you're somehow double-dead when shot by a gun vs stabbed or beaten? Give me a break you clown. Instead of specifically targeting the gun violence boogeyman, try enacting measures that target the crime rate overall.

See, for example, how this guy, because he has had his psyche permanent warped by the presence of guns, believes in a vast hivemind of criminals, such that stepping up enforcement on securities fraud would lower the homicide rate.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

See, for example, how this guy, because he has had his psyche permanent warped by the presence of guns, believes in a vast hivemind of criminals, such that stepping up enforcement on securities fraud would lower the homicide rate.

Haha what

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Is this the final form of broken-windows policing?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Is this the final form of broken-windows policing?

Nah more like reducing poverty rates. The sad fact is poor people tend to do more crime, and you tend to do less crime when you're living comfortably.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

various cheeses posted:

Try responding to my points and not interjecting distracting (and insane) NRA bullshit to turn the thread off current topic.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 28, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

various cheeses posted:

Nah more like reducing poverty rates. The sad fact is poor people tend to do more crime, and you tend to do less crime when you're living comfortably.

What's the average income of a mass shooter?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Conservatives don't give a gently caress about poverty or mental health until their guns are threatened.

Firearms uber alles.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Is the problem here that were afraid that if guns are smart people will be priced out of the market? :ohdear:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Poverty has little correlation with crime rates generally. What does correlate strongly is lower socioeconomic status, for the overall crime rate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

So you're somehow double-dead when shot by a gun vs stabbed or beaten?

Yes. As I said earlier, being killed by a gun angers the Lord and he sends you to Mega-Sheol.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

LeeMajors posted:

If you are in support of something that literally makes society worse and more dangerous for others, like guns, then I agree.

Hypothetical: if there were a way to successfully prohibit drugs and alcohol would you do it? Like how far does this possession crimes rabbit hole go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hypothetical: if there were a way to successfully prohibit drugs and alcohol would you do it? Like how far does this possession crimes rabbit hole go.

What does this have to do with what he said?

• Locked thread