Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Current Update:
Sif 6: The Filthiest People Alive

Holy poo poo, and after like 15+ years of trying to translate this game, someone finally did and wow, what a journey it was! From online wars of angry fans wanting consistent names, to three dropped English translations, to even rumours of people dying, it wouldn't be a lie to say the Romancing SaGa fans have had it hard. Rejoice with me, for the so called "SaGa Curse" is at last broken, and now tens of people can now enjoy the game they have so waited for!

The historiography of video game translations aside, welcome to my LP of Romancing SaGa. This is a game I have been waiting for to be translated for years. While the translation might be recent, I am no newbie to this game or the series. Much in the spirit of Romancing SaGa, I'm going to play this LP by ear and do as much runs as I can until I either bore the readers so much that they stop coming or I bore myself and call it quits. Who knows? Maybe I'll even do gimmick runs in the future and let the reader pick out the gimmicks!

In general, the SaGa series is one of those elitist turn based RPGs that university students and hipsters alike enjoying playing to express their highbrow opinions and laugh at the rabble so called "RPG fans" who hate non-linearity, in America at least. Meanwhile in Japan, the SaGa series is one of those timeless classics that have always sold well and aroused the fanbase with each game made with the exception of Unlimited Saga. However we can all internationally agree that Unlimited Saga never happened. What is Unlimited Saga? The G isn't even capitalized, go away Umlimited Saga!

While this game has certainly aged to the point where you now need frameskip and a dash cheat to enjoy, there are still kernels of enjoyment every now and then, if you know how to play this game properly that is.
If you don't know how to play and are new at RS, haha good luck, there's one "complete" FAQ on Gamefaqs, but it literally tells you to "cheat" for the final boss and gets into a big rant over how tough some mid game boss is. The dash cheat aside, I will show the world that this game is absolutely possible to beat without having to cheat. Grind a shitonne? Yes. Use stupid methods? Yes. Trying so hard and getting so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter? Yes. Impossible? No!

I WILL guarantee at least three runs to flesh out the story, and hopefully show off every battle style and recruitable character. Also much like all two of my other LPs, I will post the soundtrack. In fact, I'm going to post ALL* of the soundtracks!
*Original SNES, Wonderswan Colour and PS2, I really like the music to Romancing SaGa, okay?

Spoiler Policy: Please use spoiler tags for events and plot to come, whether it be related to the more complete PS2 Romancing SaGa or minor things in this game. I plan on integrating the PS2 version's story additions as much as I can, but if I manage to forget a small detail, feel free to fill the readers in for me!

With all that technical poo poo and ranting out of the way, Let's Play Romancing SaGa!

Updates:
The Main Characters
Prologue
Sif 1: The Worst Day Off EVER
Sif 2: Albert Hijacks the Story
Sif 3: In Which We Somehow Manage to Piss David Bowie Off
Sif 4: Thankfully, No Water Mechanics
Sif 5: God is Very Unhelpful
Sif 6: The Filthiest People Alive

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
The Main Characters

Albert, without the wings!
Albert is a perfect character to choose for someone who is new to Romancing SaGa on a twofold premise. While he is mainly known for his long introduction which slowly eases the player into a non-linear game, the fact that he starts the game with his kick rear end sister and two properly equipped meatshields means that getting a game over is quite difficult for him in the beginning.
To go further, he then goes on to recruit one of the stronger characters automatically and from there has access to various quests that are pretty much given to him, one of them has another ridiculously powerful character temporarily join him.

Like pretty much all the other characters, he starts with the standard Iron Sword and is recommended to work with light swords and rapiers to compliment his natural DEX/SPD.

He also has a pair of notorious wings on his back for whatever reason in the PS2 version; I liked them!

Jamil, Why Romancing SaGa Can't Have Anything Nice
Poor Jamil, always shoved in the corner with a cheeky smile in all the group photos. As you would expect from such a small guy, Jamil is all about the SPD and DEX, very much so resembling Albert in many ways. Unlike Albert however, Jamil starts with a crappy little bracelet, up against some nasties right off the bat, is stuck in an expensive part of Mardias with no money (ironically), and is accompanied by a badly equipped ally who really likes to die. His opening is rather short as well.

Gray, just Gray
Gray starts in the middle of a field full of things that are in the endgame dungeon that WILL kill you instantly if you look at them funny. After that, you're given a choice of where you want to go and dumped into the world. Based on your decision, Gray may or may not have access to some early game quests not so easily accessed by regular people.
On the battlefield, Gray doesn't really bring much to the table besides brute force. He does start with higher than average stats, but that is quickly offset by the fact that he starts in a field full of MURDEROUS TRICERATOPS WITH GOOGLY EYES.
In league with Barbara on spending the most on his luxurious locks.

Hawke, a Pirate Rated PG
What Hawke has going for him is he begins in an area that most characters won't even see, granted it's a pretty boring area. In addition he also has great beginning stats and isn't surrounded by insta game overs. Going against him is the fact that he is required to cough up a large sum of cash at the beginning of his scenario and has to pay again to get off his boring island.
Despite his size, Hawke is actually skilled at using both heavy and light weapons, and his stats heavily encourage him to rock out on the front lines. Just hope you can manage his cliché af pirate dialect.

Aisha, Dead Half the Time
Where Albert's opening is centred around killing absolutely everything, Aisha's beginning is about getting your rear end kicked by absolutely everything. Naturally because she has a short intro based on dying and is quite incapable of killing monsters before they move like everyone else can, Aisha is a more advanced character to begin with. As the game progresses, her reason for sucking will become evident, because she's simply not meant to be on the front lines. As her stats go up, Aisha quickly makes an excellent healer, but in the meantime she starts with the lowest stats in the game.

Claudia, Raised By a She Wolf and a Sassy Forest Hag
While she may start the game with three allies, Claudia requires some deliberate parental planning to give her weapons that allow her to attack from the back. The combat system in Romancing SaGa only allows three people to be at the front line, and if Claudia starts the game with an Axe and an Iron Sword and is shoved to the back of the party during battle, defending is the only thing she will be doing. Two of her allies are actually pretty meh, as are ranged weapons when you first get them, so Claudia has a very slow start in comparison to other characters. She does begin in a part of the world where some elusive quests are activated though.

Barbara, What Your Grandmother Was Actually Doing in the 1960s
Barbara is actually a pretty cool character, a personal favourite of mine. While she begins with balanced stats, meaning she is more flexible than others to do weird stuff, she also has instant access to some of the more missable quests in the game.

Barbara technically has no intro, nothing is unique to her except her first quest which is more or less talking to some guy and getting something. Out of all the characters, she has the most amount of places unlocked which makes her scenario a lot less tedious as you don't need to travel around, wasting money and taking the boat to places to unlock them. Lastly and most importantly, she has the best theme song in the game, and believe me, you want to listen to good music if you're playing a game for 20 hours.

Sif, voiced by Megan Hollingshead in the PS2 version
Out of all the female characters, Sif gets the honour of having the highest base stats, and she needs them because her first few quests revolve around beating the absolute poo poo out of everything on her own. Upon looking at her artwork, it is pretty obvious what you're supposed to be doing with her stats. In addition to having the highest stats out of the females and fiercely competing with Hawke and Gray, Sif just flat out has the highest STR growths in the game. In short, Sif's whole existence is based on beating the poo poo out of things before they can use nasty moves.
Whatever is said about her, Nurse Joy just got a bit more badass and Lenneth a bit more buff.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 21, 2015

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Prologue

Before the creation of mankind, when the world was young, three wicked gods existed in this world.
The eldest brother, Death...
the younger brother, Saruin...
the youngest sister Shirach...

They led terrifying monsters into war to challenge the humans and the lord of the gods, Elore.

It was a vicious battle.
Death and Shirach eventually surrendered to the might of Elore and the Gods.
However, Saruin refused to admit defeat.

In order to imprison Saruin, Elore created ten gemstones and chose a hero among the humans to bestow them unto. The chosen warrior, Mirsa, completed his duty and sealed Saruin away. By giving his life to fulfil his destiny, his name and the tale of the gemstones became a legend throughout the world...

Hello and welcome to Romancing SaGa! This game is not to be confused with the Romancing SaGa for the PS2, because that is a completely different game. I mean yeah, the story is more or less the same and there's the odd BS wipe every now and then, very much so reminiscent to the PS2 game, but Romancing SaGa for the PS2 kicks your rear end for trying too hard and being stupid*, whereas Romancing SaGa for the SNES kicks your rear end for not spending eight hours in a horridly designed dungeon, sitting on the same ugly chokepoint, fighting off a swarm of monsters. However, I am going to compare it to the PS2 version, as that's the version we all grew up with and eventually, after many angry restarts, learned to love.

*"Stupid" in Romancing SaGa PS2 accounts for everything, even the colour of the socks you are currently wearing. I don't even know any more and I beat all the scenarios twice.

Jumping right into the notion of non-linear, this game gives you eight characters to choose from, all with different beginnings.

Perhaps the biggest difference besides their beginning stories is the fact that they have their own little tune and you're essentially stuck with it for the entire game, sans a few dungeons and cities.

And let's face it, some tunes suck *cough*Grey*cough*, while others rock *cough*Barbara*cough*

But in the end, the choice is not mine who gets chosen, rather yours.

Choice Time!

Pick someone for me, list is on second post.

While you're at it, give them a name (max 8 characters), or choose to stick with their default name, the choice is yours, Romancing SaGa reader. The world is lying at your feet!

Also pick two classes for their parents, they are as follows:
Warrior/Warmaiden (+VIT, +STR, +COM)
Paladin (+VIT, +WILL, +COM)
Martial Artist (+AGL, +STR, +COM)
Battlemage (+COM, +VIT, +INT)
Priest (+INT, +WILL, +COM),
Thief (+CHA, +AGL, +DEX)
Bard/Fortune Teller (+WILL, +INT, +DEX)
Magician (+COM, +INT, +DEX)

Characters have their own individual stats/stat growth too that are unaffected by their parents's stats, but I'll go over them once we get started.

Parents affect initial stats and growth rates in generic class ways you can imagine, they also influence what kind of weapon you will start with. Every character begins with an Iron Sword and something from their parents.
Back to stats, if you want the cute looking Nomad girl to be dual wielding 2 Handed Axes on the front line tanking everything in her way, make both her parents Warrior/Warmaiden. If you want her to be good at something but also hold her own in another, make her parents's classes with different stats with the exception of one stat. If you want her to be a jack of all trades, master of none, two classes with unrelated stats are great for that.

Lastly, should they be left or right handed?

I'll come by in two days to collect votes, rule of democracy.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 1, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Barbarian, Warrior and Martial Artist

I have no idea of any of the systems in this game but that sounds like a :black101: way to go. Also, Sif is a perfectly good name.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 27, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Jamil looks like an escapee from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on the cover there, so call him Jotaro and have his folks be a warmaiden and battlemage

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Any preferred name? Her default name is Sif, unfortunately Barbarian is one letter too long for the name input.
I also forgot, we also need a vote on what their dominant arm should be. Left hand has better accuracy and access to a strong medium sword while right hand has more strength. Although it has minimal impact, barely noticeable if at all.

Also stats are as follows:
STR: Influences damage dealt by big weapons (Swords, Two Handed Swords, Axes, Flails) and is the accuracy rating for axes
VIT: Influences how much HP you gain in an HP level up
DEX: Accuracy rating of everything else, it's also influence how much damage bow and possibly rapiers do
AGL: Turn speed and evade rate, not much to be said here
INT: Spell damage and abnormal status infliction rate. However the English fanbase insists it only affects spell damage
WILL: Magical and abnormal status resistance
COM: Affects the strength of healing magic
CHA: Influences the strength of illusion magic and the strength of a sword technique called "King of Swords"

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Left-handed female barbarian, parents warrior/warmaiden. Named, uh. Budz.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, yeah, Sif should be Left handed

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Night10194 posted:

I have no idea of any of the systems in this game but that sounds like a :black101: way to go. Also, Sif is a perfectly good name.

Going with this, Berzerker Risk is real!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Grey - Martial Artist - Thief

Let's min/max that AGL!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Night10194 posted:

Opinions are hard :effort:

Having discovered the series through these forums, there can never be too much SaGa. :unsmigghh:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

GeneralContempt posted:

I also forgot, we also need a vote on what their dominant arm should be. Left hand has better accuracy and access to a strong medium sword while right hand has more strength. Although it has minimal impact, barely noticeable if at all.

:saga:

I cut my teeth on RS3, know nothing about this one. Excited to see this bullshit in real time.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Jamil looks like an escapee from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on the cover there, so call him Jotaro and have his folks be a warmaiden and battlemage

Hell yes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sif the Barbarian, raised by a warrior and a martial artist, shall crush her enemies with her left hand.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sif the Barbarian, raised by a warrior and a martial artist, shall crush her enemies with her left hand.

:agreed:

This is the best option.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang. Go go fanslations, I suppose.

Let's go with Gray, raised by a bard and a thief. See how many times you die in the tutorial!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Mraagvpeine posted:

:yeah:

This sounds good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mraagvpeine posted:

I like this one

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mraagvpeine posted:

There is absolutely no way I am not voting for the bonecrushing lady and :effort: so this

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

GeneralContempt posted:

I plan on integrating the PS2 version's story additions as much as I can

"Oh, wow, they remade this for the PS2? I remember how beautiful that PSX SaGa game was, I bet with a better system they really AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

The best way I have heard someone explain the graphics of Romancing SaGa PS2 is that it was almost like a crossover between a Bratz video game and mostly beardless dwarfs. The voice acting deserves a whole other section of its own, but we'll get there, oh yes we will.

And I'm just going to call the vote now while I'm here, as it's pretty much an overwhelming majority at this point. So it seems the world wants to hear about how Sif saved the world with her bare fists, her axe, her left hand and absolutely no motivation to do so at all! So join me this Saturday for our first actual episode of Let's Play Romancing SaGa!

And Sif WILL kill some bees and phoenixes with her axe.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GeneralContempt posted:

how Sif saved the world with her bare fists, her axe, her left hand and absolutely no motivation to do so at all!

Sounds very much like a Souls game.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sif 1: The Worst Day Off EVER

Sif, just Sif. It's an easy name to remember, because where she comes from, they don't have time for fancy artsy things like naming a child.

Her dad was a warrior, at least until one night when the booze was running dry so he tried to drink the gel from a slime.. it didn't go very well, but at least he died with his favourite mug in hand full of the innards of his enemies.

His wife came from up north and was substantially smarter, but got tired of 4am booze cruises into the wall of their neighbour's house, so she left early in Sif's childhood.

That's also why Sif's village only has two houses, because warrior dad destroyed them all.

Likewise in the world of Mardias, it is more common to be right handed, but whenever karate mom tried to make Sif eat her Alphagetti with her right hand, she would get into a frenzy and snap the spoon and table and right in half.

But yeah, that's the story of Sif's childhood and why she has a nice house. With that said, let's start!

Which makes it all the more hilarious that Megan Hollingshead voiced Sif in the PS2 version. Penguins sadly not included.

It is the home to a tribe called the Valhallans. This year has been unusually warm, and more monsters have appeared.

The guy standing outside of Gato's house isn't Gato, he's just a mook who consistently hounds Sif to go answer to Gato's summons. An earlygame Navi in a way.

And this is Sif of Gato Village.
"Eh? What the hell? Did someone just call my name?"

Sif's house is pretty great needless to say. It's fully equipped with eight kegs of mead, the head of a dragon she hunted one day for the hell of it, a fireplace that she doesn't use because the heat makes her too comfortable to kill things and a pretty swag shag pad on the second floor.

Amusingly enough, you cannot use this bed to rest, you have to go to the local inn to rest.
"This is the bed for my axe."

For starting the game, Sif has absolutely ridiculous stats. Where most characters begin with 4 in everything and low HP, Sif starts with 120 HP, is already breaking the teens in her VIT and will very soon be there in STR regardless of parent set up.

Shortly before his unfortunate demise, Warrior Dad gave Sif his axe, but unfortunately, she does not have immediate access to martial arts. In this game you actually have to go to a dojo and buy a 'Punch' to equip.

She starts with the basics in terms of armour, but armour in this game has minimal priority in regards to buying things, as 9/10 of the times, it's going to be the magic that kills you.

With that said, let's go outside and start our journey.

"Ah a day where it hurts to inhale, finally it's a nicer day!

"Hey it's Loki, what's he doing in the woods by himself? Hey, Loki!
"Crap, if she finds out I broke her cup, she's gonna-"
"Loki!"
"Ack! Er- hey Sif, what brings you here?"
"Just out enjoying the lovely weather. It hasn't been below minus 40 centigrade in weeks now. Hey isn't that my-"
"No! Err.. hey Sif! Gato's looking for you."
"Ugh, again? Why can't he kill his own spiders? Anyway nice talkin' with ya' Loki, be sure to bring back my mead cup tomorrow, it belonged to my dad, eh?
"Uh yeah, well see ya' Sif! (crap, crap CRAP!)

Oh that Loki, he's always been a bit of a klutz. I still can't believe Elder Gato actually let him be his page."

"I know Elder Gato is looking for me, but a bit of a walk won't hurt. Besides, death from spiders has been at an all time low ever since I took out their nest last Spring.
"Good afternoon, Sif. Just waking up I see?"
"Oh hey, Brynhildr, yeah it was a pretty crazy night last night at the hall. Say has Sigurd come back yet? I had to carry him back to your place last night, wasn't expectin' him getting up so early and go off hunting with the guys.
"No he hasn't, it does me good to know at least you had common sense enough not to go off hunting hung over. I do worry for the men and you, you know. There are monsters everywhere lately. You must do something, Sif!"
"I'm on it."

"Hello Sif my dear. Not out hunting with the boys?
"No Granny Freyja, I decided to take the day off and enjoy the weather."
"How lovely, better go out there and enjoy that cold weather while you still can. It's been getting warm lately. If it stays this warm, the frozen lake to the south might melt!"
"Of course Granny Freyja. Well take care of yourself and just ask someone to go out and skin a wolf for you next time. No need to go out of the village on your own at this age!

"Granny Freyja is the oldest resident of Gato Village. Some say she even babysat Gato in her day. I heard that she was quite the huntswoman way back when and her husband was the strongest warrior in Vallhalland to this day.

"Little Thor! How's it going, pal?
"Mommy told me I can't go outside the village no more. Man I wanna go have some fun! Nothing interesting ever happens around here."
"Maybe when you're older kid, you'll be able to join the hunt.

"Hey you're the meaty-ala- meaty-o, meat-
"Meteorologist, yes.
"Yeah you're that guy Elder Gato hired to tell the weather!
"..Yes"
"Do you think you can tell me the weather right now?
"Let's see what we got here, hmm.. ah yes. The sky looks strange. I bet there's a storm coming".
"I see. Well excellent work. Keep up the good job, Elder Gato and all the hunters are relying on you.
"..."

"Oh my god! It's nearly quarter after one! Elder Gato is going to have me on oyster shucking duty for the next four weeks!

*STOMP STOMP STOMP*

"All right, *pant, pant* Where is it?
"Where's what, Sif?
"The spider. I ran here as fast as I could because I thought you were-
"Oh heavens no, I haven't seen a spider since last Spring, you did a splendid job ridding them. But listen well Sif, for I have summoned you here today for an important job. The west cave is infested with Green Slimes, and the south cave is overrun with demons. Go and wipe them out."
"But elder.. it's my break today, we argued about this for months now on when I next get to stay behind.
"Do as I say Sif, this is a very important job that I need you to do at this minute. Go now, the future of this village is in your hands!
"Fiiiiine.

"Ugh, can't believe on my only day off in three months, I'm called into work *grumble grumble*.

"W'do y'want, punk?

And just like that, Ms. Sif is thrown into her first fight in the game. Looks like she is up against a Kobolt and a Pillbug. In general, Valhallans hunt Kobolt for cheap hide, weaponry, and emergency rations of cured meat which doesn't taste good but lasts a long time. Pillbugs are just pests so they are taken down whenever they show themselves.

As you can see, one flaw with battles is that both enemies and allies have rows, which in this case, the Pillbug which is usually a fast opponent doesn't get to do anything except for defend since it's in the back row. Rows will come up again once we have more allies. Just know that they are a pain to deal with.

*Flex, flex*

*KABOOM*

And the bug?

Also dead. The Kobolt usually takes two hits from a regular character at this point to bring down, but because we're Sif and have Warrior Dad's Axe, pretty much everything goes down in one hit.

Oh hey, first fight in the game and she's already gaining stats!

Couchawhat?

Doesn't matter anyway, cuz' he's already dead.
"Don't tell me you've had enough already!"

"I've found 11 Einherjar! Couple hundred more and I can sell them to the shopkeeper for a keg of mead!"

This is a very great place to grind as you can't be surrounded or ambushed from the rear.

But because we're Sif and already have great stats, we charge right into the mess.

Hornets are especially sought after by young men as it is said that their wings are so beautiful that if you made something out of them, the beauty of the wings will guarantee that the lady you like will fall in love with you.

They also give Sif some pretty rad STR boosts.

Hahaha, dash cheat bitches. Just try to catch up with Rocket Woman.

Just west of Gato's Village is the first dungeon and Sif is ambushed by zombies that she is able to outrun with ease.

It's a pretty small dungeon, towards the south is a dead end which you can lure the zombies into to avoid fighting them and the north is the path to the boss.

You can tell it's the boss room because it's full of slimes and we were told to wipe out slimes in the east cave.
"What on Earth is all this? Ugh, they reek like Kobolt tripe!

"This seems to be the leader of them all. All I need to do is kill the leader and the rest will flee outside and freeze. W-what's this, the Green Slime, it's multiplying!"

"I've never seen anything like this in Valhalland!

"No matter, I'll just crush them and be on my way, demons sound way more fun to fight!"

In the midst of hacking one Green Slime into pieces which abruptly evaporate due to some exclusive Mardias physics that we don't have here on Earth, Sif leaves her guard open for one second.

"Eeeeuuck! What is this?! It's worse than the residue left in the mead hall in the morning!

"Yet, it did nothing. Their methodic jiggling is making me queasy, I should probably just hurry up and wipe them out already!

-MANY HOURS LATER-
"drat, I am going to have to have a word with Elder Gato about this.

At last with the final Green Slime vanquished, Sif harnesses 30 Einherjar from their slimy remains and carries on.

"I don't think this will be enough to make up for the damage this has done to me.

"I wonder what the Bafal Empire looks like at this time of year?..

En route to the demon cave, Sif is attacked by an mean marauding bowel movement and an actual tiger.

She disposes the first problem with ease, and considers composing a long list to the elder, explaining all the problems with Valhalland, lack of sewer system very much so included.

She does however, miss the tiger.

Fortunately, the tiger attempts to bite her biceps and subsequently shatters its fangs in the process.

A few steps later and a shiny new tiger hide pelt, Sif overhears the call of a beautiful bluebird.

..which just so happens to be an angry phoenix and a giant spider.

"At last, I have reached the demon cave. I just wanna get this done and go home and sit with my kegs.

Much like the SaGa games, the more you fight with a specific weapon, the stronger it becomes. UNLIKE the other SaGa games, your weapon rank is LOCKED TO THE WEAPON YOU LEVELLED UP. It's pretty crappy, especially if you buy a strong new shiny axe and it does less damage than the one you have equipped, but it's not the end of the world because this game only has like four weapons per type.

Besides there's motivation to have multiple weapons, I'll explain that later on when we actually have multiple weapons and higher weapon levels.

As you probably noticed before, the demon cave is actually a network of caves. The one I entered is the one that's nearest to the demon boss, but it doesn't matter which one you enter, so long as you don't enter the topmost or bottommost, as they both lead to small rooms with lots of enemies.

"I can already smell the stench of magick, I don't like it one bit. Their boss must be the green one up there with the bat wings, I wonder how magic users do against a face full of axe!

(While Romancing SaGa for SNES and WSC technically has boss music, it only plays at super specific places. Romancing SaGa for PS2 has boss music for generic enemies who mark the end of the quest and this is it.)

Most characters in this game have an initial quest and this is usually the boss of it. For a boss he actually poses a serious threat, especially if you go charging right into him with the mentality that you're Sif and you have a Lv. 1 Axe and killed everything hitherto in one hit and only took 1 DMG.

Sif charges right into it with that mentality because she IS Sif.
"For the sake of going home on my holiday!"

It ends quite terribly.

"Oh no, this is awful, this is awful, craaaa-

"...p"
*Spits out a mouthful of ashes*

"I."

"REALLY" (he randomly decides to defend here)

"HATE."

"MAAAAAAAGICK!!"

"Healing? Haha I'm okay it's just a scratch.

*Pant, pant*

"Get.. out of my way.. I'm..I'm going home."

Booze.. my holiday, my, my..

Welp! Kicked to death by a frog!
Welcome to Romancing SaGa, you'll probably be killed by a generic enemy JUST after killing the boss, it just works that way.

Fortunately, this is one of them SaGas where you can save wherever, so let's just assume I did exactly that and leave off where we started!

Learning better than to charge into enemies unhealed, Sif becomes more beautiful from killing a faerie and somehow gains an AGL point from something.

*STOMP, STOMP, STOMP* "Do I ever have a bone to pick with Elder Gato!

"Yes yes, the village will be safe from slimes and demons for quite awhile.
"Anything else (like a reward, einherjar, axes, BOOZE?")
"No that will be all, my girl. Now please do go outside and enjoy that weather!"
.."Certainly, Elder".

"What am I getting all worked up over, some slime? I'm always complaining that there's nothing to do, so I should just go for a walk or something".
"Hey, Sif!"
"Yeah? What is it, young Thor"?
"There's a wrecked ship on the coast! I wanted to check it out, but Mommy said it's probably full of crazy tourists and dead things, phooey!
"Yeah? Well I think I'll go check it out, if I find one of them foreign things, I'll be sure to give you it. Just.. don't tell your Mommy I gave you a foreign object, she's.. already mad at me for destroying her pumpkins in a fight with Tyr a few weeks ago".
"Really? You're the best, Sif, I love you!
"Ahaha, it's cute now, but don't cha' be sayin' that to me when you have hair under your armpits. Y'hear, y'little squirt, you?

-Approximately two minutes later-

"Well what d'ya know, the kid was telling the truth. Suppose there's no harm in looking around now is there?

"Man this ship sure got smashed up good. Wonder if there's anything on here I can salvage?

"Well this is a pretty neat hammer, maybe Thor'll like it. Still, seems a little heavy, but maybe he'll use it later on.

"Just how long has this ship been here for?.."

Farewell.

"My axe hungers for the flesh of the undead!"

"Louie? No Louie! Hang in there, it's going to be all right, it's going to be- Hey you there, please help me! I am Albert, son of Rudolph of Isthmus Castle! Who are you?"

"DEATH, DESTRUCTION, EVERYTHING TO DO WITH BLOODSHED; I AM A VALHALLAN, HEAR MY BLADE!"
"How rude! You could at least answer me!
"I FEAST, I- ah? Oh hey there's a living person over there. Hey, I'm Sif of the Valhallans. Who the hell are you?"
"I just told you, if you just paid attention, and-"

"Err- well no matter, I will repeat my name. I am Albert, son of Rudolph, lord of the isthmus.
"That's better, now.. Will you come to my village?"
"A Valhallan?! Then I must be in Valhalland, far to the south of Rosalia..."
Look, I just had the worst day ever and have no idea what the hell you're talking about, but maybe the elder will. Come I'll take you to my village."
"A bad day? Yeah, tell me about it. Anyway, do lead on madam, I will follow."

Anyway it's time to meet Albert again. While we aren't playing his story, his story does overlap heavily with Sif's and he is her first ally.
As a unit, this is what you would initially expect from anyone who isn't Sif, Grey or Captain Hawk stat-wise. One good thing about Albert is he is one of few characters who are left handed by default, which means if you want to use the Left-Handed Sword later on in the game but forgot to make your character left handed, Albert's got your back.
As a recruitable character, he sort of has a crappy parental set up, but in the long run it means that he will make a good healer and will be able to hold himself all right on the front lines.

He starts with a default Iron Sword and Bronze Mail, but both are fine, as Albert is one of the better characters to use when you want a Medium Sword user.

"Allow me to demonstrate the strength of a knight of Rosalia! Begone, foul foe!

"..."

"Right-e-o's, I'm just going to mop that up for you if you're finished with that.

"And then my sister was going to get married but then..
"There were like ten dragons, no sixteen dragons! I passed out, fell off the cliff to certain doom and ended up in Loban..
"I was arrested and beaten a couple of times, but there was this fake wall, yeah? I also heard some death chants.."
"Thanks to Monica, of course. Anyway on the boat I met this guy holding a statue and.."
"It was the worst storm in history! There were dragons, fish with human teeth and even mummies attacking everyone, it was hell. But then it got even worse!.."
"So here I am in Valhalland, it was a pretty bad day for me. Why was your day bad?"
"I got called into work on my day off and a slime puked on me."

-Several hours later of being followed by Albert.-

"Who is that lad?"
"Hey elder, I brought some guy here I found on the ship. He's a bit delirious and keeps saying he needs to get somewhere, but I don't know what he wants.
"I am Albert, son of Rudolph of Isthmus Castle!"
*Eyes Elder Gato and raises her shoulders*
"You must have been on the ship that crashed, eh? Must've been awful."
*To Elder Gato* "Don't get him started again, please oh please don't get him started..."
"Why don't you go rest up at the inn?"
"See ya, kid."
"K-kid?! ...Thanks for all your help."

"Ugh, what an awful day, I don't think it could get any-
-KNOCK KNOCK-
"(Please be the UPS man, please be the UPS man..) who is it?"
"Just me Sif! Gato's looking for you."
"Again? Well, what does he want?"
"I don't know, he didn't say. But hey you should probably go down there right away.
-sigh- "I'm on it."

"I bet the Bafal Empire is really beautiful at this time of year..

"You have called for me, Elder?
"Yes Sif, it would appear something else has happened that I need you to attend to.
"Yes.. Elder?"
"Indeed yes, Sif. Monsters have infested the southern cave again. You must defeat them!"
"Wait a minute, wait a minute, how does that even work? I could have sworn I took them out, these burn marks should prove it!
"It would appear that there was a hidden wall that the other monsters were hiding in. After the death of the first boss, the other swarm made themselves known. Now off you pop!
"Yes, Elder.
"One more thing Sif!
"....Yes?
"I am worried about that young lad you brought back, do you mind checking in on him?
"Why, of course Elder. Now, if you will excuse me.."

-A couple of seconds and foul language later-

"Hey kid, Elder asked me to check in on you. How y'doin'?
"I heard from a man named Loki that you intend on slaying monsters in the south cave..

Choice time!

Again, I'll stop the votes in two days.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 19, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'll :bandwagon: whatever the next poster picks. Come along!

Hahaha, what? All that blatant Norse mythology and the elder isn't Odin, but rather has metal joints? :psyduck: Or was most of that your doing?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alright, come along!

We'll make a man of him yet!

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I'll :bandwagon: whatever the next poster picks. Come along!

Hahaha, what? All that blatant Norse mythology and the elder isn't Odin, but rather has metal joints? :psyduck: Or was most of that your doing?

Yes most of it was my doing, the only characters who have names at this point of the vanilla game are Sif, Gato and Albert. Everyone else only have one line and are generic NPCs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Never turn down free party members in a SaGa game. You never know when you'll need a disposable meatshield helping hand.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Something about your story for Sif doesn't make sense; if Sif's mom left after Sif was born, then how was she there to make Sif eat her food?

Oh, and more party members!

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Something about your story for Sif doesn't make sense; if Sif's mom left after Sif was born, then how was she there to make Sif eat her food?
On that note, how do the three Death Gods wage war on humanity and Elore before humanity was created?
Well you see, according to Gato and the stories Warrior Dad would tell Sif over mead, Karate Mom stayed with Sif and Warrior Dad for a few days at least, she thought everything was going to be all right. However a couple days into it she was all like "holy crap, she's breaking everything inside and her dad's breaking everyone outside, I'm out, peace!"

How a newborn baby can wreck a table and use a spoon, ask Hercules.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I somehow get the feeling this game is best experienced by playing the weaker characters first then the overly broken ones first time through, if only to keep yourself from being spoiled by playing the best characters first then going through all the rest.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

OminousEdge posted:

I somehow get the feeling this game is best experienced by playing the weaker characters first then the overly broken ones first time through, if only to keep yourself from being spoiled by playing the best characters first then going through all the rest.

I guess it depends on your perception of things. When playing a new game, I typically like to pick easy mode first and then work my way up to hard, as that makes the harder characters a lot less frustrating and tedious to play if I know how to set them up properly so they aren't doing 1 DMG to an enemy with 25 HP. While RS for the SNES may not punish the player as much as RS for the PS2 for grinding, it is worth noting that if an average player is new to this series picks a weaker character, their first instinct will be to grind until they are not weak, and they'll end up losing access to various quests. Grinding in RS is not only discouraged because it shaves the story down to its core, but also because it's just boring, especially seeing as how much enemies there are and how easy it is to grind. That's honestly one of the reasons why SaGa gets a lot of hate, not only for its non-linearity, but because it expects the player to know this and other things it doesn't bother to explain in the manual.
I can definitely see your point though in regards to playing with stronger characters at the start can ruin some surprises the game has in stock for the new player. Perhaps RS can even see that too by making Albert and Aisha, two of the worst characters statwise on top of their respective lists, and Captain Hawk and Sif on the bottom?

At the same time, all the characters have earlygame issues that they have to face. Sif for example is the only character in the game who has to go it alone for some time, while Albert gets a large linear plot to guide him, allies and equipment from the start, but has to deal with abyssal earlygame stats and inconsistent allies who come and go. Mind, bad early game stats can be remedied to some extent if you know enough about how parents work and you set yourself up with valued early stats such as STR and good weapons. Yet how is a new player supposed to know what parent gives what if they are new to the game? Granted, it is fun to play around with parents if you're new to this game and see what they give to their children in terms of equipment and stats and I strongly encourage viewers to give me some strange combinations in the future.

Hopefully in subsequent playthoughs, we will see some of the weaker characters, and maybe if the readers are real nasty to me, they'll give me some bad parents to make the experience of starting with a bad character all the more joyous!

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 31, 2015

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
The More the merrier!

Sif owns bones

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Your screens are really blurry. You should try using a scaler that doesn't blur the gently caress out of them because RS has really nice art.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Decided to use Irfanview's screenshot function as opposed to ZSNES's default screensh(i)t option, and..

(Left: after, Right: before)

Better? I had to sacrifice some size for quality, but judging from screen-to-screen comparisons, this is no doubt closer to the actual game, if not pixel accurate.

The new images's text seems a bit fuzzy to me, but I might just be over-analytical. Thankfully I'm only on the first chapter, so is it worth replacing all my old pictures for the new ones, or should I just start with new images next update?

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 31, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Though a bit blurrier the left side ones look better. The right may be more pixel perfect but there's way too much contrast.

I know this game mostly through it's PS2 incarnation so I'm going to be sitting here going 'oh man I am glad they took that :saga: out' and 'wow this is pretty faithful, I didn't know the original had the whole map-unlock thing.' I would have voted Grey since he's my favorite of the lineup since I found his deadpan nature to be hilarious 80% of the time and fitting the other 20%.

OminousEdge posted:

Here's the thing, the only weak characters are the one's who cannot grow because they're nameless hire-ons or plot-removed for whatever reason. The main differences between all of the characters here are their starting scenarios and what that gives them. Note how all of the 'noticeably powerful' characters have a wrinkle to their particular scenarios: Sif is alone and has to kill a bunch of things (and this is significantly harder in the PS2 version because you will not be taking 1-2 damage,) Grey has to deal with Dinosaurs that are a middle-late game enemy which can and will oneshot him and his party, and Hawk has to make a giant bundle of dosh in order to actually get into the game. Of the three only Hawk can come close to 'broken' since he has a hard time gaining stats, and therefor encounter rating while in his starter zone.
Overall you want to play whichever 'clicks' with you the most.

Regarding the vote, on one hand you need to take Albert along because you need a party ASAP.
On the other hand you're going to have to put up with :byodood: I am Albert! Son of Rudolf, Lord of the Isthmus! :byodood:

seriously every time he introduces himself it's that, verbatim. (PS2 version.)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

GeneralContempt posted:

Decided to use Infraview's screenshot function as opposed to ZSNES's default screensh(i)t option

If you're going to be taking screenshots, I cannot recommend extracting screenshots from recorded video enough. Seriously, it's quick and easy with VirtualDub, and you won't miss stuff because you were too slow with the screenshot button. (Speaking from experience there. :v: ) Just ask the folks at the Sandcastle if you need advice on which recording program to use, and you should end up with better pictures than either of those options.

As for the LP, this looks like it's going to be pretty awesome. :) Keep it up!

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Well poo poo, apparently my emulator was set to "blur the hell mode" (eg: 512x448 mode WITHOUT filters, 8:7 ratio or windows) so I fixed it and added filters, 8:7 ratio and windows.

Don't tell me that's not better! It's kind of weird to see SNES games so sharp, because that's the video setting I've probably used since 2005 at least.
Probably going to redo the first chapter from how well my screens turned out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Improve your writing. "I can already smell the stench of magic, I don't like it one bit" could use... any sort of emphasis or punctuation at all rather than that flat, run-on delivery. And that's a fairly typical sentence that makes it a chore to read through.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, take him with us. Dude probably just wants to get stronger or something on account of he hates himself for being weak. Surely Sif was like that. When she was maybe 2 or something.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Alrighty then, so it looks like Sif now has herself her first accomplice ally! I'll try to have Sif 2 up by Sunday at least.

Also new pics are up, take a look if you want to, otherwise wait until Sif 2 to look at them. I didn't change any dialogue, narration or anything, but the pictures are there in top quality in the event that the blurriness of the previous pictures understandably took away from the experience.

Also thanks, Yapping Eevee for showing me VirtualDub, it's actually a lot handier than I thought it would be with getting those nickpicky frames perfect for capture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

GeneralContempt posted:

Also thanks, Yapping Eevee for showing me VirtualDub, it's actually a lot handier than I thought it would be with getting those nickpicky frames perfect for capture.

Glad to help! :hfive: And it's a good thing you found those settings in the emulator, because looking at the new ones without my glasses still isn't even half as blurry as the old ones. :psyduck:

• Locked thread