Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rick and Morty a great show?
Gee I dunno Rick
Yes I quite like it
Holy poo poo this show is hosed up
Goku Morty
View Results

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm legitimately depressed I can't and likely never will get to play Roy

gently caress this show forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you don't like the meeseeks episode you're a dumb fucker

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Moridin920 posted:

if you don't like the meeseeks episode you're a dumb fucker

this is the first one I ever watched. Saw it the other day at a buddy's. Then the rest of season one, when I got in my car to head home "Weird Science" was playing on the radio wtffffffffff

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

those were better than 99% of all sci fi episodes from serious sci fi shows

Rick Potion #9 is like TNG "The Inner Light" level of good. And this is a loving comedy show.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Better than most shows out there.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rick and morty is the best science fiction show and the best animated show and the best show

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Given how half of this and any given R&M circlejerk is about how Rick & Morty is soooooo emotionally affecting with characters like Mr. Poopydoop and such, it might help to realize that the Venture Bros. veers off from parody comedy into a dark character comedy that uses Gen-X Nerd Arcana as a backdrop and an excuse to have the characters do outlandish things. You're on SomethingAwful in tyool 2015 so I'm guessing most of the Nerd Arcana will be recognizable, which is good as it helps you know what archetypes the show is using as well as how the show is jumping off of that archetype to create a more unique character (e.g: Henchman 24, the audience stand-in and mega nerd ends up going through a crisis of conscience after his friend dies and makes huge leaps forward in competence only to get discouraged and find a new normal back in his old dead-end job which is utterly heartbreaking but also more honest than any other show would treat his character).

A lot of Adult Swim shows have done this dance before, including Morel Orel and Metalocalypse.

Too Many Cooks is a good micro-example of this philosophy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

Start as one-note joke that uses Gen-X pop culture staples as reference points,. Then take that joke to the most extreme it can possibly go. Then take it a bit further. Then veer off into other genre territory mostly for the hell of it. Then get experimental with form. Then punish/reward the audience who stuck it out with some form of genuine lunacy before looping back around to tie everything back in nominally with the original premise.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
what is rick and mort?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dieting Hippo posted:

Given how half of this and any given R&M circlejerk is about how Rick & Morty is soooooo emotionally affecting with characters like Mr. Poopydoop and such, it might help to realize that the Venture Bros. veers off from parody comedy into a dark character comedy that uses Gen-X Nerd Arcana as a backdrop and an excuse to have the characters do outlandish things. You're on SomethingAwful in tyool 2015 so I'm guessing most of the Nerd Arcana will be recognizable, which is good as it helps you know what archetypes the show is using as well as how the show is jumping off of that archetype to create a more unique character (e.g: Henchman 24, the audience stand-in and mega nerd ends up going through a crisis of conscience after his friend dies and makes huge leaps forward in competence only to get discouraged and find a new normal back in his old dead-end job which is utterly heartbreaking but also more honest than any other show would treat his character).

A lot of Adult Swim shows have done this dance before, including Morel Orel and Metalocalypse.

Start as one-note joke that uses Gen-X pop culture staples as reference points,. Then take that joke to the most extreme it can possibly go. Then take it a bit further. Then veer off into other genre territory mostly for the hell of it. Then get experimental with form. Then punish/reward the audience who stuck it out with some form of genuine lunacy before looping back around to tie everything back in nominally with the original premise.

yeah and they're all loving entertaining you rear end fucker clown smoke a weed

i need caaaandy

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nice Gohan.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I would subscribe to an alternate universe television station.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
gas thread. murder op

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Dieting Hippo posted:

and all tv shows are just patterns of light and sound so they're basically just rip off fireworks

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

yea rick and morty is awesome and the venture bros is also awesome

i hope both of those shows go on forever

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Happy Bear Suit posted:

rick and morty forever and forever 100 years

that my opinion

TBH it got real bad after season 72.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

which episode is this from b/c I don't remember this part
e: n/m I skipped an episode because I'm a dumbo

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 28, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
posting in never past bedtime land

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
y goons like tis show so much

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Maldoror posted:

y goons like tis show so much

its funny

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

oh my god

oh gently caress

oooh beth why

oh god whats happenin

is this what bleeding to death is? ooh wee

is this how i die?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im glad someone made a thread for the third day in a row about this show

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Robo Reagan posted:

im glad someone made a thread for the third day in a row about this show

im thinking of making another one

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i dont watch things or enjoy entertainment of any kind until it is approved by goons

signed, a little bitch boy

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
eh it's probably the best written
animated show of the decade and manages to be really funny while doing so

I'm glad adult swim has nailed some mainstream success for their weird poo poo because I sat through a panel for Steven universe and holy poo poo, the future is not bright.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I bet so many of you idiot fuckers would take Roy back to the carpet store after beating cancer.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That whole segment was cool because it had a great message to it: live your life as if you're playing Roy. For all you know you could be!

How many goon lives do you think merit a high score ? :v:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Whole Internet posted:

That whole segment was cool because it had a great message to it: live your life as if you're playing Roy. For all you know you could be!

How many goon lives do you think merit a high score ? :v:

Registering an account is an immediate loss.

az
Dec 2, 2005

proof of concept posted:

which episode is this from b/c I don't remember this part
e: n/m I skipped an episode because I'm a dumbo

how do you feel about skipping the best episode this season, eh dummy

you're a jerry arent you

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

az posted:

how do you feel about skipping the best episode this season, eh dummy

you're a jerry arent you

yes

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

A misanthrope posted:

i dont watch things or enjoy entertainment of any kind after it becomes remotely popular

signed, a little bitch hipster goon

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Rick & Morty is a gay show for faggy gently caress face piece of poo poo assholes.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
its gay. like me.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Waltzing Along posted:

Rick & Morty is a gay show for faggy gently caress face piece of poo poo assholes.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Waltzing Along posted:

Explains why your dad runs the fan club!

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
congratulations on become part of the indistinguishable writhing mass of dogfarts that also obsess about this show and make it a cornerstone of their lives

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

cram me sideways posted:

congratulations on become part of the indistinguishable writhing mass of dogfarts that also obsess about this show and make it a cornerstone of their lives

wha

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
goon hatred only motivates me to seek it out all the more

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

goon hatred only motivates me to seek it out all the more

The madder the Avarte Goones get about something, the better it normally is. Except Big Bang Theory I guess. That show is bad

Troutful
May 31, 2011

I really wanted to like this show but in my heart of hearts I think it sucks, so far. Does it get any better after the first few episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Troutful posted:

I really wanted to like this show but in my heart of hearts I think it sucks, so far. Does it get any better after the first few episodes?

Yeah, the first 3 episodes it kind of tries to find footing, by the 6th or so it's got a much clearer scope

• Locked thread