Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Narcissus1916 posted:

What was the season-by-season podcast that someone mentioned was really great, like every page in last season's thread? I think it was Rob C, maybe?

Evolution of Strategy. It's more of an audiobook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I can't decide who to root for the most... plus I can only remember 2/3 of these people. I think maybe I'll just root for Woo and let the chips fall where they may.

My only prediction is that Shirin will not get a nice edit 2 seasons in a row, and I'm someone who was pro-Shirin last season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
She's on the same tribe as Spencer. Surely this was intentional by the producers.

Similar to Terry and Vytas being on the same tribe, but for the opposite reason.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Narcissus1916 posted:

My summer job ended, I've got a crap-ton of free time. Im thinking of ponying up (heh) the money for CBS' All-Access thing and start watching all the seasons since i've only seen half of them.

What was the season-by-season podcast that someone mentioned was really great, like every page in last season's thread? I think it was Rob C, maybe?

I've really enjoyed all of The Evolution of Strategy. For awhile what I would do is I would watch a season then listen to it's companion chapter. The Amazon and All-Star chapters might be longer than the actual seasons themselves. I would recommend downloading Borneo (it's free) and seeing what you think. If you don't like Borneo you probably won't like the rest. Also in the Pearl Islands chapter Robs impression of Lil is so goddamn funny.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I have some problems with TEOS though. As a recap of the seasons and episodes it's fine, but they don't actually talk strategy that often. They can be funny, but the later seasons get pretty self-referential. They also don't seem to do that much research before recording. I think they'd have benefited if they didn't cram it into a year of recording, because I think they're punch-drunk by HvV.

I've paid out for it because it's provided me lots of commuting entertainment. And I just can't get into survivor historians.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

SalTheBard posted:

I've really enjoyed all of The Evolution of Strategy. For awhile what I would do is I would watch a season then listen to it's companion chapter. The Amazon and All-Star chapters might be longer than the actual seasons themselves. I would recommend downloading Borneo (it's free) and seeing what you think. If you don't like Borneo you probably won't like the rest. Also in the Pearl Islands chapter Robs impression of Lil is so goddamn funny.

Both Rob and Josh LOVE impressions and they are have a pretty impressive collection at this point. I've been loving these audiobooks and they really have been a lot of fun. Whether you are interested in how strategy has changed or you just want to have funny recaps of seasons, its very good. The only warning I would give is that it really works the best listening to them in order. If you just go ahead and listen to say the Hero vs. Villains (Cook Islands 8) chapter first, ~25% of its jokes will not make any sense.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've paid out for it because it's provided me lots of commuting entertainment. And I just can't get into survivor historians.
Mario on survivor historians is really insufferable for the most part on those podcasts.

Tyree fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 29, 2015

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I don't know who to root for :coolspot:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mario on historians also runs PoS, where he is likewise insufferable. His book looks so bad.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Did Spencer always have abs? :stare:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shakugan posted:

Did Spencer always have abs? :stare:

Yes. He's the Cochran with abs. (just not as hot and not as good at survivor)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Peigh-Gee and Spencer are the horses I'm backing. Two great players who were unable to overcome being toughly outnumbered. Hope they get themselves into a better early position this time.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
As this is an all-star season it will be won by a non-threatening female, probably one of the two Kellys.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Mario on historians also runs PoS, where he is likewise insufferable. His book looks so bad.

Same guy with the Funny 144? Which is terrible. He also has Survivor fanfiction

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I'm so excited. I don't even know who to root for. I've been on a Survivor-mad binge and have been watching most of everything that's on Amazon Prime for a refresher. I'm excited for Tasha (her fake woman's alliance to scare Tony was so fun to watch, and I really want to see her mess with people more), Abi Maria (at her season's reunion show, she seemed to recognize just how awful she had been, so it'll be interesting to see if she DOES change her ways), and Peih Gee (hopefully not as annoying this time).

I hope Savage suffers early and fast. I like seeing Jeff's favs get the boot.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Kelly Wiglesworth winning would be loving hilarious, and nobody should be unhappy in this thread if that happens.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes. He's the Cochran with abs. (just not as hot and not as good at survivor)

...you think Cochran is more attractive than Spencer? Interesting, haven't heard that one before....

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bbf2 posted:

...you think Cochran is more attractive than Spencer? Interesting, haven't heard that one before....

Cochran would be my #1 pick for hottest survivor contestant. (spencer is pretty hot too though)

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

bbf2 posted:

Tyler was hotter than either of them...just didn't come across very well on camera.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Holy poo poo those cast photos are so awkward. You'd think these people would know how to pose without looking like an idiot by now (I'm looking at you Kass).

Anyway, Varner is by far and away the most interesting cast member here folks. Stephen is great spencer is great but they are known commodities and will definitely be early targets which was confirmed by Wiglers pregame interviews he spoke of on RHAP. Some of the other easy targets would be Kass, Shirin, and Joe.

The not as memorable people definitely have a leg up here as they don't have that huge target of being notorious like someone like Stephen does. Believe me I hope I'm wrong because I don't want to see a Monica, Woo, and Kelley final 3.

If his RHAP appearances and pregame interviews are any indication, Varner is going to be entertaining and should definitely have some fun confessionals. I think he probably has a good pulse on how the game works nowadays and he got turbo hosed in his original season, not only by being sick on day 1 but by Kimmie effectively ruining his game.

Pony: Varner
Poison: Kass

:homebrew:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I've been watching Cagayan (since there's 4 people from that season) and drat the brain tribe sucked. How did they get 3 people on? No spoilers but Spencer is the only likable one from that tribe at all. Woo seems cool but kind of boring, maybe his game spices up later.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
Pony: Vytas
Poison: Abi-Maria

Vytas has everything it takes to win if he can get to the merge. I'm hoping he'll tone down some on manipulation this time. As much as they talk about Abi-Maria on rhap, she just seemed vindictive and rude to me first time around.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

How did they get 3 people on? No spoilers but Spencer is the only likable one from that tribe at all. Woo seems cool but kind of boring, maybe his game spices up later.

Kass was the most interesting person that season. Tasha is the more rare survivor creature, a strong woman. Spencer is rootable but didn't live up to his potential. Woo is extremely hot and pleasant but so boring.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

kitten posted:

Woo is extremely hot and pleasant but so boring.

I'm still not over his final decision. :cripes: Hopefully he won't do the same poo poo this time. I hope they do a final 3 this season.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

I've been watching Cagayan (since there's 4 people from that season) and drat the brain tribe sucked. How did they get 3 people on? No spoilers but Spencer is the only likable one from that tribe at all. Woo seems cool but kind of boring, maybe his game spices up later.

They sucked in challenges, but their tribe dynamics were fascinating, Kass's flip was infamous and her unique, prickly and passive aggressive personality attracted large numbers of both fans and haters. Tasha won several challenges and was depicted as fairly likable and determined.
In general Cagayan was a casting gold mine, and there's a good argument for at least four other people from that season returning, aside from the four in Cambodia.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

abi maria is gonna win

Mackay
May 28, 2006

Arrr.
Is it just me, or are Spencer and Dan Foley pretty much the same character? Hungry superfans who talked themselves up as the smartest person out there while getting monstrously outplayed at every turn by the eventual winner, and who tried to get the audience on their side by belittling the perceived easy target (One of them was correct, the other... not so much).

With that said,
Poison: Spencer

I think my actual winner pick is Keith though. He holds his own at camp and in challenges, he is never going to be seen as a threat and he's not going to be disliked.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It's just you.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mackay posted:

Is it just me, or are Spencer and Dan Foley pretty much the same character? Hungry superfans who talked themselves up as the smartest person out there while getting monstrously outplayed at every turn by the eventual winner, and who tried to get the audience on their side by belittling the perceived easy target (One of them was correct, the other... not so much).

With that said,
Poison: Spencer

I think my actual winner pick is Keith though. He holds his own at camp and in challenges, he is never going to be seen as a threat and he's not going to be disliked.

haha

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think Keith can win unless he stumbles into an alliance of assholes who drag him to the end, and then are too unlikable to win. But there aren't many of those, and they will be gone by the endgame. This is not a season for a clueless floater to win. There are too many smart people.

anywayyyy

Poison: Vytas
Pony: Kelly Wiglesworth

people are going to suggest Wiglesworth is vulnerable, that she has no idea what she's doing. I honestly think that perception is an asset, early in the game, and she's on the same tribe with Jeff Varner, so probably has a solid alliance there (there's a video released recently where Varner claims that he's got a really strong alliance with Wiglesworth).

Mackay
May 28, 2006

Arrr.

Spatula City posted:

I don't think Keith can win unless he stumbles into an alliance of assholes who drag him to the end, and then are too unlikable to win. But there aren't many of those, and they will be gone by the endgame. This is not a season for a clueless floater to win. There are too many smart people.
That's... a great point. This cast is not the cast that Keith can get a win from. I do maintain that he will go deep in pretty much 100% of seasons for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I have similar feelings about Woo.

I'll amend my pick to Jeremy - a decent player who might be perceived as a threat on another season. With Joe, Spencer, and Fishbach being the massive perceived threats going in, he has some insulation from that this time around and can perhaps play a quiet, solid game. With people like Terry and Savage around he's also unlikely to get pushed into any kind of leadership role.

I feel bad for mostly ignoring the women, but my favourites are people like Kass, Kimmi, and Peih-Gee - basically the ones who historically have pissed off their cast members. I can't really credit any of those three with a strong winning chance, and the "low-profile-woman" pick feels too standard this time around.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
It was interesting watching the video asking who are you surprised is here. Just about everyone said Monica which makes me wonder if she can float through.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

Same guy with the Funny 144? Which is terrible. He also has Survivor fanfiction

You know, the first one was legitimately good. It just got to his head. lol at Survivor fanfiction, period, and the second funny 115 had potential but each entry was an unreadable novella. It's too bad when people don't understand what's actually good about the stuff they've done.

Anyway I'm interested to see what Monica will do. It's been mentioned before, but she was one of the few people on Samoa who really had a clue of what was going on. Foa Foa just had an inexplicable stranglehold on the merge game with a parade of Galu idiots who would spend one episode preventing Galu from having nice things, and the next episode getting voted out. If there's any possible Parvati v2 in this cast, it's her.

Also looking forward to more Peih Gee and Kelley :getin:

Finally, this isn't quite kosher, but...Tasha looks like she gained 20 pounds and it all went straight to her chest.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I don't know, I'm sure you can get kosher Silicone these days...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Nah, it looks legit. Silicone would hang differently.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

cool discussion, guys

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

Nah, it looks legit. Silicone would hang differently.

Well obviously I'm not an expert on the subject since I prefer my hanging to occur between the legs, rather than off the chest; but they definitely do look bigger. Maybe it's the outfit.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

shut the gently caress up

So, Spencer has the perception of being really strategic, but is he? I feel like he had a great grasp of his position in the game and was funny in interviews, but did he really make any moves?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"Maybe he won't be annoying this thread. I'll go ahead and take him off my ignore list."

blue squares posted:

That was fast.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

blue squares posted:

So, Spencer has the perception of being really strategic, but is he? I feel like he had a great grasp of his position in the game and was funny in interviews, but did he really make any moves?

Did he get the chance to make many moves though? I don't often go back and rewatch past seasons, but my recollection is that much like cochran the first time round he was dealt a poo poo hand and never really got the chance to put his poo poo in motion. He certainly always seemed to have a good grasp of what was happening, and what needed to happen to further his position, but he was never really in a position to actually do it.

Whether he can do better with some experience under his belt will be interesting. I'm happy that he and fishy are on seperate tribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
He pretty hardcore flubbed the HII search thing (which might I add, led to one of the best scenes of the season and probably the only reason Woo got considered for second chances).

Spencer did get a little handcuffed by being on a tribe with probably the biggest fuckups in that season (David, Garrett, J'tia, Kass) and did really well to survive as long as he did, but it was honestly mostly by virtue of Tony using him as a shield because he played a strictly inferior game to Tony - as he himself noted in FTC.

He and Stephen are going to have such a huge target on them this season that it's going to take J'tia levels of stupid poo poo going down to rip the target off of them though. As much as I'd love to see Stephen do well (especially considering Tocantins is among my favorite seasons) I don't see him having enough of a different strategy that can actually be successful...MAYBE if he plays the goat somehow but I don't see that happening.

Whoever said Vytas has a good shot, I agree with though, since he has a lot of shields in terms of physical competition and in terms of strategic trickery and is personable enough to find himself in peoples' good graces.

Regardless of what happens, I think it'll be a good season and I can't waitttttttttttt.

• Locked thread