Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

are these streaming? I couldn't find either on Netflix hm

Oh, I think you might have to resort to files in the US to watch Gomorrah the Series cuz the Weinstein Bros bought the rights to it for over here and who knows what or when they're gonna do something with it. I'm pretty sure you can watch House of Saddam on HBO Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bread or a bullet

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Hollismason posted:

Yeah they covered a ton of real world time in this season. They still have a ton to go though, I mean I'm not going to spoiler that they caught Escobar but he was on the run for 15 months and the violence really ramped up. Also, Search Bloc , Las Pepes (A vigilante literal death squad), the DEA, US Intelligence, Navy Seals.

They still haven't even gotten to the Cali Cartel it's just being introduced.

I think they have enough prob for 2 more seasons.

The rest of Pablo's story is going to be cool. The Calí stuff will be interesting but possibly a little dry since they were more "business" like, but they got into some serious poo poo. They took over the US markets and then Europe. They had over 90% of the world's cocaine markets under their control.

After Calí you can get a few seasons worth of stuff from the Mexican cartels who make Pablo look like a choirboy. Sadly there's tons of room for this story to grow into.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PotatoJudge posted:

The rest of Pablo's story is going to be cool. The Calí stuff will be interesting but possibly a little dry since they were more "business" like, but they got into some serious poo poo. They took over the US markets and then Europe. They had over 90% of the world's cocaine markets under their control.

After Calí you can get a few seasons worth of stuff from the Mexican cartels who make Pablo look like a choirboy. Sadly there's tons of room for this story to grow into.

I thought the cali cartel doesn't pick up steam until Pablo is dead? Would they keep this going after he dies?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Holyshoot posted:

I thought the cali cartel doesn't pick up steam until Pablo is dead? Would they keep this going after he dies?

If the series is a big enough success I assume they will try and keep it going as long as they can.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Ended up watching the entire series this weekend. Pretty good first season. I've always been interested in these cartels and the people that run them. It's cool to have a show like this keep true to some of the history behind it. At the same time making an entertaining storyline to keep me watching - documentaries on the subject get pretty hard to watch when there are years of terrorism to explain.
Not really sure how many seasons they can get out of the show unless they go beyond the Escobar story, but I hope at least another 10 episodes is on the way.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 9, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im watching Gomorrah, which someone suggested above, and it is really good too, thank you.

But a very different thing from Narcos. Its more kinda like an italian Sopranos, but with a lot more violence and a lot less humor.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 9, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm only half way through but i see its been renewed for a new season and is it just going to be an all new cast or what?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jose posted:

i'm only half way through but i see its been renewed for a new season and is it just going to be an all new cast or what?

Nope, same cast and all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so escobar doesn't die at the end then?

i thought this was a 1 season thing

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The show runner recently said that his ambition is to cover the cocaine trade all the way up to present day.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

teraflame posted:

The show runner recently said that his ambition is to cover the cocaine trade all the way up to present day.

YES....loving...PLEASE... :hist101: I would watch the poo poo out of all of it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Do the hippos show up. If they don't I'm simply not interested.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Do the hippos show up. If they don't I'm simply not interested.

No hippos.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
If we're going all the way to the present day then I'm wondering how long Boyd Holbrook and (more importantly) Pedro Pascal are going to hang around then? I imagine that they continued working in Colombia for at least a little while, but if the show is going to cover the narcotics trade in other locations or later on in history then I imagine new DEA agents will be involved.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

teraflame posted:

That makes the pacing make a lot more sense and I hope they do it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im watching Gomorrah, which someone suggested above, and it is really good too, thank you.

But a very different thing from Narcos. Its more kinda like an italian Sopranos, but with a lot more violence and a lot less humor.

You're very welcome, always glad to see someone new getting into it. They are very stylistically different but the thing that made me feel that it's similar to Narcos, and Narco fans would like it, is that it's inspired by a non fiction book(with that book's author being one of the show's writers and creative minds) about a crazy, far-reaching n super powerful real life crime culture & organization. And while the central crime family in Gomorrah is fictional, a lot of the real life stuff and events from the book is actually repurposed/adapted into the show itself.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

God I hope they keep it going up to present day

Proposition Joe posted:

If we're going all the way to the present day then I'm wondering how long Boyd Holbrook and (more importantly) Pedro Pascal are going to hang around then? I imagine that they continued working in Colombia for at least a little while, but if the show is going to cover the narcotics trade in other locations or later on in history then I imagine new DEA agents will be involved.

And eh I won't miss them that much, Pascal is pretty good but Boyd Holbrook won't miss him or character at all

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

There is nothing both more magical and real than his hippos.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The two DEA guys are practically nothing characters and you can replace them with anything. Like any character on Law and Order.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I really loved this show. It was probably my favorite series in the last year or so. Did anyone else constantly imagine Vincent Chase playing Pablo? I kept cracking up at horrible times picturing that fat suited motherfucker.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Fragmented posted:

I really loved this show. It was probably my favorite series in the last year or so. Did anyone else constantly imagine Vincent Chase playing Pablo? I kept cracking up at horrible times picturing that fat suited motherfucker.

I sent this to everyone I talked to about watching it

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Pedro Pascal is irreplaceable.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

There were parts near the end of the season where Moura's Escobar looked nearly identical to Paul F. Tompkins.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Fragmented posted:

Vince did the movie TV show!!!

But yes, constantly. Ugh, Entourage grasping from beyond the grave.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

teraflame posted:

Just finished watching through the season and gotta say I'm hooked. This is great news.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
One of the things I've really enjoyed about the whole show is how the guy playing Escobar (and how he's written) really does a great job of portraying this complete disconnect between his honest desire to "save" Colombia, despite the fact that he cut a swathe of death and horribleness to get to a position where he could save it...and then when he's rejected from that spot he just causes more mayhem because they wouldn't let him be a hero.

It's not an uncommon storytelling concept but it's pulled off so well. Like, there's just these moments where Pablo is talking about saving Colombia, doing the right thing for the people, and you start to believe him...and then he murders a bunch of loving innocents because hey maybe that will get the attention he needs!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

YES....loving...PLEASE... :hist101: I would watch the poo poo out of all of it.

I'm hoping this show spans from Pablo to El Chapo.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
You can listen to him talking about it here: https://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/09/02/netflix-narcos

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is or will netflix ever release their oeuvre on a physical format? I mean it's not like not doing it will ever really, truly impede piracy and besides theres a lot of extras you can cram onto a dvd. I've been having to drive across town to watch it at a buddies house but it is indeed worth it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They've already released House of Cards and Orange on DVD.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
What's the average turnaround between seasons of Netflix originals? Daredevil and Narcos are the first ones I've really got into.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Require More Fire posted:

What's the average turnaround between seasons of Netflix originals? Daredevil and Narcos are the first ones I've really got into.

Pretty consistently a year. Both House of Cards and OITNB are February/June staples respectively, but those are really the only shows they've done so far that have enough seasons to show that kind of consistency, but hopefully it continues with Daredevil/Narcos/etc.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Anyone else notice how shoddy the gun stuff was in the series? A lot of fake Uzis and modern AR-15s. Really good show, really wack armourer.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I thought the machine pistols were Steyr TMPs, which IIRC are accurate? perhaps someone could clarify. I didn't see any modernAR-15s, though I wasn't really looking.

Kind of interested in this for no reason, can you grab some offending screenshots?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Narcos_-_Season_1

The SMG that shows up most often seems to be an "EKOL ASI Uzi", a blank only prop gun that's a fairly poor stand-in for an Uzi.

Edit: And yeah, a bunch of anachronistic AR-15s.
It's gun nerd stuff that most sane people wouldn't notice or care about. It just bums me out that so little thought was put into the firearms when the show was so good otherwise.

Gargamel Gibson fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 12, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Enjoyed the binge, but was quite surprised that Pedro Pascal didn't utterly steal the show.
I mean, come on; a DEA sexhaver who plays fast and loose with the rules?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Area 51 wasn't released until 95, two years after Escobar's "death". My immersion is completely ruined.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Frostwerks posted:

Area 51 wasn't released until 95, two years after Escobar's "death". My immersion is completely ruined.

Dude made more money than fuckin' Bill Gates in the 90s, who's to say he didn't get an early prototype hookup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Episode 1x10
Is it implied that Pena sold out Murphy? I'm a bit lost as to why he was kidnapped to begin with

• Locked thread