Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
*grabs Age of Empires and Age of Empires II instruction books*

Here is the wealth of information for all of your historical needs. Go learn about US politics at school and how a bill becomes a law.

Me? I'll be learning about the Battle of Agincourt and the rise of agrarian economies in the Dark Ages. Did you know that Regicide means the assassination of a king?

Oh, you're going to English/Vocab class? Yeah, what does scintillating mean, scrub? How about beguile? Dubious? These words strange to you? :smugdog:Not to me, I learned what those words and more meant playing Everquest when I was 15.

Some of those vocab words I learned actually did help me become a better reader and more well read. Knowing the political make up of England and France seriously helped me do better in my college History courses since that stuff wasn't covered in high school.

What did YOU learn from video games that you didn't or wouldn't have learned in school that you think is pretty kickin rad and/or has actually helped you in life (outside of internet arguments)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

no school will ever match the calibur of knowledge i learned from games

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the sims taught me hwo ot make friend and influence people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG2EQEsGFCc

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My favorite part of buying a new videogame used to be reading the story in the front of the manual.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i learned that getting girls to do sex with you is about saying the right combination of things at the right time

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

My favorite part of buying a new videogame used to be reading the story in the front of the manual.

This thread was made for you, man. Said you wanted some fun threads to post in.

I learned from Counter Strike that headshots from an AK always are fatal, but from M4's they are not.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

After the end of World War II, the world was split into two - East and West. This was the beginning of the era called the Cold War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx76RGHbfms

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

This thread was made for you, man. Said you wanted some fun threads to post in.

I learned from Counter Strike that headshots from an AK always are fatal, but from M4's they are not.

I learned that the fourth word on the third paragraph of page 6 of the Wings of Fury manual is "bombs."

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i know a ton about the knights templar and the assassins

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
I learned a lot about Atlantis from the LucasArts graphical adventure 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis'

This knowledge has proven to be completely useless

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also :rip: Wings of Fury.
Which has never been successfully remade.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Jastiger posted:

*grabs Age of Empires and Age of Empires II instruction books*

Here is the wealth of information for all of your historical needs. Go learn about US politics at school and how a bill becomes a law.

Me? I'll be learning about the Battle of Agincourt and the rise of agrarian economies in the Dark Ages. Did you know that Regicide means the assassination of a king?

Oh, you're going to English/Vocab class? Yeah, what does scintillating mean, scrub? How about beguile? Dubious? These words strange to you? :smugdog:Not to me, I learned what those words and more meant playing Everquest when I was 15.

Some of those vocab words I learned actually did help me become a better reader and more well read. Knowing the political make up of England and France seriously helped me do better in my college History courses since that stuff wasn't covered in high school.

What did YOU learn from video games that you didn't or wouldn't have learned in school that you think is pretty kickin rad and/or has actually helped you in life (outside of internet arguments)

Listen up y'all, THIS is how you get the ladies.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i learend how to be italian from super mario and his brother lugigi

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

*crude hand gestures* imma gonna win

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

lonesomedwarf posted:

i learned that getting girls to do sex with you is about saying the right combination of things at the right time

It took me loving forever to get the drat bra unhooking QTE down

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
i made fifth place in my schools geography bee entirely off of what i learned from where in the US is carmen sandiego

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Naerasa posted:

i made fifth place in my schools geography bee entirely off of what i learned from where in the US is carmen sandiego

That's an educational game, though. And a good one at that.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I learned that mecha Hitler was defeated by a lone Allied soldier thus ending the second world war.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i learned how to save the princessw/o resulting to DEMEANING PRACICTCISE LIKE NEGGING

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lunixnerd posted:

I learned that mecha Hitler was defeated by a lone Allied soldier thus ending the second world war.

Actually even in spite of that the second world war persisted until 1948 and was eventually won by the Axis powers.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
before wikipedia existed we had the civilopedia

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Putty posted:

the sims taught me hwo ot make friend and influence people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG2EQEsGFCc

as long as it involves throwing them in a swimming pool and removing the ladder/stairs

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Learned that Alexander the Great was really, really good at giving money to City States

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My fav game when I was little was "Aldo."
Was over a decade before I learned he was a ripoff of Mario.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A fortnight is two weeks!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Learned the word "eon" (referring to a length of time) from "If it Moves, Shoot It."

Also the word "Zephyr" from the videogame of the same name.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik2N4opZynQ

az
Dec 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmhwN4gxEs

and thats how i became a nascar driver

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A barrel roll is something that is not only important to do, but is a plane spinning throughout the air!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i unironically learned more from AoE2 and then subsequent reading because of the interest it sparked in ancient culture than I EVER did in 7th grade history

take that mrs frazee, rear end in a top hat

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

i unironically learned more from AoE2 and then subsequent reading because of the interest it sparked in ancient culture than I EVER did in 7th grade history

take that mrs frazee, rear end in a top hat

Unironically this.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
*can visually identify and rattle off the scientific name sof 30 herbs/mushrooms from playing alchemists in elder scrolls games*

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I learned about Zaubers, Verboten Jams, and The Chaos Dunk.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
i started learning english when i was like 8yo by playing monkey island and having my dad translate phrases / words i didnt understand

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Crusader Kings 2 bitches

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Everything I learned about life and social interaction I learned in EVE Online.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

bewilderment posted:

After the end of World War II, the world was split into two - East and West. This was the beginning of the era called the Cold War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx76RGHbfms

metal gear has taught me all i need to know

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im going to kill you with a poleaxd nigga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Nanomashoes posted:

I learned about Zaubers, Verboten Jams, and The Chaos Dunk.

Gun's

• Locked thread