Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Applewhite posted:

I got stuck behind a truck in the left lane just earlier today. Just because they're not supposed to do it doesn't mean they don't.

CuteJen pls tell your drivers to stay out of the left two lanes they are not for trucks.

The ones who do usually have Poland plates. And it's not just that they're "not supposed to", in Germany it's legit against the law on some stretches of highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 3 years!)

dad gay. so what posted:

hey jen i forgot to ask, have you ever seen that movie star wars?

yuh

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

who was your favorite droid?

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

dad gay. so what posted:

that fuckin trash can thing

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

CuteJen96 posted:

that fuckin trash can thing

Which one?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

dad gay. so what posted:

i liked the one that was a dick to c3po cause he was like a tough mexican robot from the wrong side of the tracks

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

My Q-Face posted:

Which one?

the sassy black one

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Do lesbians ever get shy about talking to cute girls?

yeah all the time you just have to own it

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i liked the one that was a dick to c3po cause he was like a tough mexican robot from the wrong side of the tracks

yeah he was badass i wonder what his name was? hes the guy who was burning that settop tv droids feet too wasnt he?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CuteJen96 posted:

yeah all the time you just have to own it

So, with straight people (and straight leaning bisexuals like yours truly), when you hit on the opposite sex, you have a better than 90% chance of hitting on a fellow heterosexual.
With homosexuals, you first sort of have to wheedle out the other person's sexual orientation before flirting can proceed. How does this change the courting dynamic and do you thin kits easier or harder for homosexuals to find willing partners?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Why would a driver go bobtail instead of deadhead, is it something like "the carrier owns the trailer and needs it back at the distribution point" or what?

Also do you prefer working with owner operators or company drivers? Oh god I don't even know the difference between those two I'm so embarassed.

Why is it hard to recruit drivers? Don't they make a bunch of money for sitting in a truck and not dying of speed overdose (actual speed of the truck not the drug)?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

dad gay. so what posted:

yeah he was badass i wonder what his name was? hes the guy who was burning that settop tv droids feet too wasnt he?

oh yeah i forgot he tortured other robots too thats loving cool. they should have made the the prequels about him imo

az
Dec 2, 2005

kimihia posted:

Those fuckers sent a package destined for AKL to KLA (which are a long way apart) and they just left it there until I enquired why my overnight parcel had still not arrived after 4 days. Then they redirected it back to me, then they tried again and this time managed to deliver it ... to a business address on a Sunday followed by a public holiday, at which point they let it languish because hey, there was nobody there to accept it.

Cute Jen 96, what punishment do they deserve for their inability to correctly type routing codes for mail?

I can tell you from having been on the other side of this that whoever fatfingered the code had a good laugh about this with their coworkers when they got an alert it had been misdirected. yes they're all dicks

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

oh yeah i forgot he tortured other robots too thats loving cool. they should have made the the prequels about him imo

too be frank, the whole saga would have been much more entertaining if it was called "droid wars" and all of the human parts were cut from the script. george lucas is a moron.

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

SquadronROE posted:

Why would a driver go bobtail instead of deadhead, is it something like "the carrier owns the trailer and needs it back at the distribution point" or what?

Also do you prefer working with owner operators or company drivers? Oh god I don't even know the difference between those two I'm so embarassed.

Why is it hard to recruit drivers? Don't they make a bunch of money for sitting in a truck and not dying of speed overdose (actual speed of the truck not the drug)?

- most often it's because it's a drop and hook load. meaning that the company has it set up with the customer that they drop the empty trailer-- the customer loads it and sticks it on a drop yard-- carrier hauls it to the receiver -- drops the loaded trailer. Usually there will be an empty trailer to hook to. Sometimes there will be a reload out of there to the shipper if it's Milk Run. The other thing you run into is that the carrier just owns the tractor and will hook to another companies trailer to haul it. You see that most often with Owner / Operators. The last of the asphalt cowboys.

- I prefer working with comany drivers. O/O's are a pain in the rear end most times. O/O's own or lease the tractor. They're in charge of everything and often charge a higher rate. You see them most often in heavy haul or specialty poo poo. Company drivers are just an rear end in the seat.

- Long, long hours away from home, and the industry tends to attract people that have been chewed up by another carreer or they don't have the skillsets for other work. It's very rare that driving a truck is the FIRST thing that someone wants to do. Long hours away from home. That being said, if you don't have a job / zero prospects / no family that makes you come home every week so that you can stay out for a long period of time-- a driver can clear about 50/yr. Drive team and have all the endorsements (haz, tanker, etc) enjoy that 70k / year you've made it. The pay sucks because you are paid by the mile - not salary or hourly. The wheels ain't turning, you ain't earning.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

i think in the directors cut of temple of doom they explain that star wars only takes place on a handful of lovely human planets and droids run like the other 98% of the universe

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hey jen i think im gonna have wood fired pizza for lunch and a glass of wine (or 4 lol) any objections?

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

dad gay. so what posted:

hey jen i think im gonna have wood fired pizza for lunch and a glass of wine (or 4 lol) any objections?

too carby for me. i only eat meat and vegetables.

switch the wine out for bourbon and pain killers and we can have a good tiem

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

CuteJen96 posted:

- most often it's because it's a drop and hook load. meaning that the company has it set up with the customer that they drop the empty trailer-- the customer loads it and sticks it on a drop yard-- carrier hauls it to the receiver -- drops the loaded trailer. Usually there will be an empty trailer to hook to. Sometimes there will be a reload out of there to the shipper if it's Milk Run. The other thing you run into is that the carrier just owns the tractor and will hook to another companies trailer to haul it. You see that most often with Owner / Operators. The last of the asphalt cowboys.

- I prefer working with comany drivers. O/O's are a pain in the rear end most times. O/O's own or lease the tractor. They're in charge of everything and often charge a higher rate. You see them most often in heavy haul or specialty poo poo. Company drivers are just an rear end in the seat.

- Long, long hours away from home, and the industry tends to attract people that have been chewed up by another carreer or they don't have the skillsets for other work. It's very rare that driving a truck is the FIRST thing that someone wants to do. Long hours away from home. That being said, if you don't have a job / zero prospects / no family that makes you come home every week so that you can stay out for a long period of time-- a driver can clear about 50/yr. Drive team and have all the endorsements (haz, tanker, etc) enjoy that 70k / year you've made it. The pay sucks because you are paid by the mile - not salary or hourly. The wheels ain't turning, you ain't earning.

I now consider you a friend thanks for your patient answering of questions. This is all really interesting stuff.

What do you mean by "Drive team" or "Milk Run"?

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

but you do you namaste

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Do you have to be an O/O in order to get a sweet customized rig with a bomber girl and a name like "Windy City" airbrushed on the side?

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CuteJen96 posted:

I think you have a problem. How can you not like pizza? You monster.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Do you have to be an O/O in order to get a sweet customized rig with a bomber girl and a name like "Windy City" airbrushed on the side?

You can do that with your normal car btw.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

i'd call it the boozy broad and just have this gross bitch passed out with her gash showing

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CuteJen96 posted:

i usually have oxy and vikes on me but my car pill bottle is empty. will re-load tonight TGIF!!!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SquadronROE posted:

You can do that with your normal car btw.

My car is dressed up to look like Rudolph: The Red Nosed Reindeer.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i'd call it the boozy broad and just have this gross bitch passed out with her gash showing

dont disrespect nancy

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

dad gay. so what posted:

dont disrespect nancy

i think she'd take it as a compliment tbh

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Mine would be "Space Tits" OFC.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Applewhite posted:

My car is dressed up to look like Rudolph: The Red Nosed Reindeer.

Knew you were a furry the moment I spotted you. :chanpop: :hf: :classiclol:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i think she'd take it as a compliment tbh

yeah youre probably right, shes probably 3 sheets to the wind by this time anyways

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

SquadronROE posted:

I now consider you a friend thanks for your patient answering of questions. This is all really interesting stuff.

What do you mean by "Drive team" or "Milk Run"?

a team is just that- a team of drivers. Two drivers in the cab. One sleeps while the other drives so that, theoretically, the truck never has to stop for DOT hours of service resets because the other driver is in the bunk sleeping. YOu see it most often with husbands and wives... siblings... best friends. People comfortable to live in an enclosed space for weeks at a time. The best i ever saw was a father / son duo that did 4 weeks straight before the math ran out and they had to take a 70 hour hard reset. They were clearing 8,000 + mile weeks doing haz line haul for fed ex from ATL - LAX

This is a milk run:

I'm using it like.. okay, say that i'm a trucking company with you and you're... Nissan. Okay, I supply a number of empty trailers. You load them up with factory racks to mexico. I haul them to Laredo, drop it, and hook a load coming back to the plant with finished parts. Wash, rinse, repeat

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

those guys are so gay

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Jukeboxblues posted:

I think you have a problem. How can you not like pizza? You monster.

i only like the flesh of other animals

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

CuteJen96 posted:

Hello, my name is CuteJen96. I'm here to answer all your questions. I have a background in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.

shut the gently caress up, bitch

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CuteJen96 posted:

i only like the flesh of other animals

They make meat pizza's though???

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

reagan posted:

shut the gently caress up, bitch

10-4!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CuteJen96 posted:

those guys are so gay

So those guys get made fun of by other truckers? I always thought they were like kings in the trucker community, much the same way gamers with custom rigs are held in high regard by other nerds.

Also, did you see the movie "Religulous" starring Bill Maher? If so, what did you think of the scene where he was getting all :smug: in the roadside chapel for truckers?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Do hazmat and other endorsements appear on a normal driver's license? I think I might have a new goal if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

SquadronROE posted:

Do hazmat and other endorsements appear on a normal driver's license? I think I might have a new goal if so.

They do. it varies state by state but there's usually a bar that says COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE and then what class of vehic you're cleared to drive. My old man had a CDL class A with haz and tanker and rode a motorcycle so it looks like Class: A,H,X,M

• Locked thread