Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

it was great because nobody had a job but it wasn't their fault. You could sit at home day watching the 'tube and your wife couldn't be pissed cause there's no jobs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
The great depression caused hoarders, so i'm cool w it

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Hexel posted:

When I was growing up my grandmother used to save campbells soup cans and use them as cups. I said to my mom: "Mommy thats kinda weird why does she do that?" "She lived through the great depression", she said.

My grandparents and my parents lived through two world wars, the Great Depression and war time rationing. At nan's house, tea leaves got re-used and no clothing was ever discarded without buttons and zippers being saved. Outgrown jumpers and cardigans got unpicked and the wool saved. At home, shoes got repaired and socks darned, bread wrappers and the heavy brown paper bags in which groceries were packed got saved (even long after cling wrap hit the market). So yeah, even during post-war prosperity lots of people kept one or two frugal habits unnecessarily.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
my grandma and her sisters use to fight over scraps of cardboard from grocery packaging or whatever else to stick inside their shoes to cover the holes :11tea:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
my great grandmother was born poor as poo poo in rural kentucky so I dont think the depression hit her all that hard.

alternate answer: you're livin in it

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

There were no jobs, but unlike now if you didn't work to have money you couldn't eat instead of just getting food stamps to buy steaks, soda, and potato chips.

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

There were no jobs, but unlike now if you didn't work to have money you couldn't eat instead of just getting food stamps to buy steaks, soda, and potato chips.

hosed up if true.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
It was a lot easier being a hobo then. people were more trusting and prone to leaaving food any old place.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I'm pretty sure the only reason preppers didn't seem batshit crazy during the 1960s/1970s is because our parents and grandparents told so many tales of the Great Depression, rationing and air raid shelters. Their lives in the first half of the 20th century had been tumultuous and uncertain. That the Cold War would turn hot and see a return of those days didn't seem so far-fetched to people who'd lived with great upheaval their whole lives - after all, everything was supposed to be honky dory after WWI but poo poo continued to happen.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 29, 2015

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jackyl posted:

it created the Hoover dam which is p cool

we're talking about irl life not fallout new Vegas

Ein cooler Typ fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 29, 2015

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
My dead grand dad's burned down and they slaughtered their pig and made blood sausage for the firefighters after. He would also fish for turtles in the big canal by our old house.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It was only bad if you were used to having money. People who were broke as gently caress already saw no difference.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Ocean Book posted:

i died during the great depression

we all did

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

This man wouldn't have been able to do what he did outside of a depression-era America I believe.

Sure, you can take our daughter to a party, sounds good.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
we watched a documentary in school once that posited that because so many people got put out of work, young folks who had quit school early went back since employment scarce and that was arguably a non-insignificant advantage in dub dub 2 for us since it greatly increased our technical literacy

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

basement jihadist posted:

well like the end of the great gatsby an old man suckles a woman boob so not too bad imho

i super dont remember this is it on Gutenberg yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lolie posted:

My grandparents and my parents lived through two world wars, the Great Depression and war time rationing. At nan's house, tea leaves got re-used and no clothing was ever discarded without buttons and zippers being saved. Outgrown jumpers and cardigans got unpicked and the wool saved. At home, shoes got repaired and socks darned, bread wrappers and the heavy brown paper bags in which groceries were packed got saved (even long after cling wrap hit the market). So yeah, even during post-war prosperity lots of people kept one or two frugal habits unnecessarily.

and god the "quilt" parties. hordes of bitches congregating making panties out of anything and everything. it was a loving love-in

• Locked thread