Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

Lovie Smith to Illinois is like Kevin Spacey doing that movie where he's a cat. Easy money, low pressure at the cost of some ego.

Bill Murray in Garfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

Same font on their helmets as the New York Giants???

You know, from back when their helmets said GIANTS on them.

Illinois hasn't worn the ILLINOIS helmets in a few years. It's just a big I now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Illinois hasn't worn the ILLINOIS helmets in a few years. It's just a big I now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It seems like Chicago produces way more stud basketball players than football players.

Yeah it's arguably the best area in the country for basketball recruiting but it's really not that great for football and gets recruited by the entire conference

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

Yeah it's arguably the best area in the country for basketball recruiting but it's really not that great for football and gets recruited by the entire conference

Gotta grab TE's somewhere.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Chicago burbs are an endless source of fat guards with Polish names.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not a fan of the ONE BIG LETTER. I mean, oh boy we have an block S because we're one of the 56 teams that could do that.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Chicago burbs are an endless source of fat guards with Polish names.

I was very excited a few years ago when we had a TE named Szczerba because, drat, that's a Pennsylvania name. Sounds like he comes from a family where there's a Buzz, Buzzy, Little Buzzy, and Other Buzzy. Sadly, he was from Delaware.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

I'm not a fan of the ONE BIG LETTER. I mean, oh boy we have an block S because we're one of the 56 teams that could do that.

If you do it you really have to own it, like Tennessee is unmistakeable. I hate when Sparty uses the block S because it looks exactly like the Syracuse and Stanford ones, and it either stands for the nickname, which is dumb, or for State, which is dumber.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I recall seeing a stat about college bball success being defined by investment in the program and I'm sure football is the same. Illinois would be much better off trying to be an Indiana or Maryland instead of garbage at both big sports

Oh well at least Illinois is better than northwestern!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

I recall seeing a stat about college bball success being defined by investment in the program and I'm sure football is the same. Illinois would be much better off trying to be an Indiana or Maryland instead of garbage at both big sports

Oh well at least Illinois is better than northwestern!!

not this year, amigo

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

If you do it you really have to own it, like Tennessee is unmistakeable. I hate when Sparty uses the block S because it looks exactly like the Syracuse and Stanford ones, and it either stands for the nickname, which is dumb, or for State, which is dumber.

It's the same S that NC State uses as well. Though they do add those bullshit tiny letters in there.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So I think the carousel is finally done. 27.5 coaching changes this year. We were spinning fast this go-round.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

kayakyakr posted:

So I think the carousel is finally done. 27.5 coaching changes this year. We were spinning fast this go-round.

The Carousel never ends. It just gets slower.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

They need to get this guy on there, it is a gorgeous logo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There is literally a group of people who are still bitching that they had to get rid of the Chief.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

There is literally a group of people who are still bitching that they had to get rid of the Chief.

Which isn't all that surprising - I mean, look at how Redskins fans/DC metro area residents froth at the mouth anytime you mention a name change

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7tyfQu4QJo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

You're just jealous that NU has a terrible college mascot, although I'm pleased that my son will someday be an evanston WildKit, the most ridiculous high school mascot name I've ever seen. And that includes the Rochelle Hubs, Freeport Pretzels, Pekin Chinks, Dekalb Barbs, and Fisher Bunnies.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

What is probably pretty obvious is that very few Chicago schools have their own football facilities. Lots of schools have practice in public parks or even empty lots, and they all travel to the handful of places that actually have a football stadium for games. They very likely don't have a weight room either, or it's very tiny. Every school has a gym with a basketball court though. The Chicago suburbs are where the good football recruits come from though, and the really good kids that are in the city will end up at one of the suburban Catholic schools if they really want to play football.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

You're just jealous that NU has a terrible college mascot, although I'm pleased that my son will someday be an evanston WildKit, the most ridiculous high school mascot name I've ever seen. And that includes the Rochelle Hubs, Freeport Pretzels, Pekin Chinks, Dekalb Barbs, and Fisher Bunnies.

Northwestern is in the top 2 FBS schools with a Willie Wildcat mascot.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

What is probably pretty obvious is that very few Chicago schools have their own football facilities. Lots of schools have practice in public parks or even empty lots, and they all travel to the handful of places that actually have a football stadium for games. They very likely don't have a weight room either, or it's very tiny. Every school has a gym with a basketball court though. The Chicago suburbs are where the good football recruits come from though, and the really good kids that are in the city will end up at one of the suburban Catholic schools if they really want to play football.

New York is the same way. There's a sweet spot for recruiting. You can't be too rich because they don't play, and can't be too poor because they don't have the resources. The suburbs here dominate the city, which has very few recruits. It's probably underrecruited if you're a really good scout.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Scott Shafer has stepped down as Maryland’s defensive coordinator, the program announced Friday.

“I want to thank DJ Durkin for the opportunity to be on his staff, but at this time I feel it’s best to step aside to tend to personal matters,” said Shafer in a statement. “I’m sincerely appreciative of his support and friendship.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Northwestern is in the top 2 FBS schools with a Willie Wildcat mascot.

Mandatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A-05wPlQQ4

• Locked thread