Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Arizona State's board of regents approved a raise/extension for Todd Graham on saturday. His deal is now through 2019 and pays $3m/yr.

Sounds like it's time for his wife to find more family somewhere else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Bielema's buyout is $15.4 million before 2018, $11.5 million after.

Bielema's not going anywhere.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

lol

Also, as much as some folks seem to like speculating to the contrary, I don't really see any scenario in which Charlie Strong is not the coach at Texas in 2016. And I think 2016 would have to go pretty badly for him not to be here in 2017 as well.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

lol

Also, as much as some folks seem to like speculating to the contrary, I don't really see any scenario in which Charlie Strong is not the coach at Texas in 2016. And I think 2016 would have to go pretty badly for him not to be here in 2017 as well.

The only way I see Strong leaving is if your new AD insists on having his own guy. Which would be understandable enough, but it wouldn't be fair to Strong at all.

What's the timeline on the new hire looking like out of curiosity?

Also let me have my dream that Bielema will be so bad they have to fire him and eat the buyout, even if it isn't realistic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Holy poo poo, yeah he's stuck

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I think Bielema had a pretty big buyout when he signed on at Arkansas but I have no idea if it scales down as his years go on or what.

I'd imagine Paul Rhoads has to be on his way out, especially if this week's game with Kansas is even close.

E: USF has a new AD and it bears wondering how much longer Taggart may have there if they can't get it turned around too.
E2: HEll, two of their wins last year were squeaking by UConn and SMU.

Bielema's is like 16 million which is amazing. He's the greatest. (e: aw, beaten)

I think Rhoads is definitely out if they close the season the way they're likely too. He had built up a lot of goodwill a couple years ago with his once a year or so big upset but they've bottomed out so thoroughly in the last two that he's pretty much burned through it all. About the only thing that might save him is that their attendance is still pretty good, even after the expansion of the stadium, but their fanbase definitely seems done with him, and his overall record is pretty abysmal even by ISU standards. I don't know who they replace him with though. A big segment of the fanbase seems to want them to just promote Mangino which is hilarious to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

A big segment of the fanbase seems to want them to just promote Mangino which is hilarious to me.

Oh my god please do this Iowa State

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Their offense is complete dogshit (even though if you listen to ISU fans their WRs are second in talent only to the 99 Rams) but his hiring got built up so much that all the good things that happen to ISU get credited to him and anything bad that happens is blamed on Rhoads, it's weird.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Their offense is complete dogshit (even though if you listen to ISU fans their WRs are second in talent only to the 99 Rams) but his hiring got built up so much that all the good things that happen to ISU get credited to him and anything bad that happens is blamed on Rhoads, it's weird.

I donno, I can see the fanbase pointing more at the head coach with problems than anyone after a while.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Grittybeard posted:

The only way I see Strong leaving is if your new AD insists on having his own guy. Which would be understandable enough, but it wouldn't be fair to Strong at all.

What's the timeline on the new hire looking like out of curiosity?

Perrin (the interim guy) is currently contracted through next August, and President Fenves has said he will "put off" hiring the next guy. I've heard nothing about a search committee or any candidates. I think Fenves has a lot of other pressing stuff to attend to, and it was becoming clear that Steve Patterson would remain a major distraction and source of discontent from the alumni/donors/faculty/coaches as long as he was here. In other words, Fenves didn't fire Patterson because he was ready to focus on changing things up in athletics, he did it so that he could stop focusing on athletics for a minute.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 28, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I donno, I can see the fanbase pointing more at the head coach with problems than anyone after a while.

No I totally get being mad at Rhoads (that huge by ISU standards contract extension he got made no sense to me), I just don't get the infatuation people have with Mangino. But then I also think his time at KU gets wildly overrated too. He had one really good season, one okay one and then they went right back to being bad as soon as Reesing graduated. It was not exactly Bill Snyder.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
This is where I go back to my prediction from a couple of years ago where Arkansas boosters buy out Ferentz' contract so bert can go there.

Tell me there hasn't been at least one serious discussion about this down there I dare you.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo, yeah he's stuck

He's stuck?

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Texas State's defensive coordinator was fired resigned yesterday after their 59-14 loss to Houston. For those that remember back to 2012, Houston's offensive coordinator was fired resigned the day after after a 30-14 loss to Texas State in week 1.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
In the Winnie-the-Pooh sense

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Elotana posted:

In the Winnie-the-Pooh sense

:boom:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

This is where I go back to my prediction from a couple of years ago where Arkansas boosters buy out Ferentz' contract so bert can go there.

Tell me there hasn't been at least one serious discussion about this down there I dare you.

Probably as recently as like a month ago. And I would be all over it but Ferentz is currently trying really hard to save his job and set Brian up to take over for him.

But anyway no it turns out you are in fact not the first person to suggest that the high profile Iowa alum with the schools logo tattooed on his leg might some day be a candidate to coach there.

E:oh I read that backwards

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 29, 2015

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I mean more in that some drunken Walmart exec looked at another and said "14.5 to fire that fat bastard poo poo Ferentz has to be below that by now you know any of those cornfuckers up there?"

I assume most of that is in English I don't know how/if people in Arkansas can talk.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

C. Everett Koop posted:

I mean more in that some drunken Walmart exec looked at another and said "14.5 to fire that fat bastard poo poo Ferentz has to be below that by now you know any of those cornfuckers up there?"

I assume most of that is in English I don't know how/if people in Arkansas can talk.

Mostly we just wave our meth pipes at each other in meaningful ways.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

MourningView posted:

A big segment of the fanbase seems to want them to just promote Mangino which is hilarious to me.

:psyboom:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I don't think it's the majority or anything, but I've heard it from multiple people I know and have seen it a few places online. At the very least they want to can Rhoads in the next week or two and give Mangino a try as interim coach.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wanvig posted:

Texas State's defensive coordinator was fired resigned yesterday after their 59-14 loss to Houston. For those that remember back to 2012, Houston's offensive coordinator was fired resigned the day after after a 30-14 loss to Texas State in week 1.

For the record, the Bobcats defense gave up at least 50 points in the three games against FBS opponents. We played Southern Miss at home and lost 50-56. That gets you fired.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

MourningView posted:

I don't think it's the majority or anything, but I've heard it from multiple people I know and have seen it a few places online. At the very least they want to can Rhoads in the next week or two and give Mangino a try as interim coach.

Given that he took Kansas to an Orange Bowl is it really all that crazy for Iowa State fans to want him to coach? Granted he left Kansas under bad circumstances but if he's cleaned up his act it should be ok.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

rebel1608 posted:

Given that he took Kansas to an Orange Bowl is it really all that crazy for Iowa State fans to want him to coach? Granted he left Kansas under bad circumstances but if he's cleaned up his act it should be ok.

His track record beyond that one season is not very good. He was good when Todd Reesing was there and otherwise not terribly different from what ISU already has with Rhoads (granted KU gotten worse since he left, but being better than Turner Gill is not really much of an accomplishment). His KU tenure beyond that one season is not so amazing that he should be at the top of a list for even a crappy power 5 job like ISU, especially given his health/age, what he's done as a coordinator, and the reason he lost his last job

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

His track record beyond that one season is not very good. He was good when Todd Reesing was there and otherwise not terribly different from what ISU already has with Rhoads (granted KU gotten worse since he left, but being better than Turner Gill is not really much of an accomplishment). His KU tenure beyond that one season is not so amazing that he should be at the top of a list for even a crappy power 5 job like ISU, especially given his health/age, what he's done as a coordinator, and the reason he lost his last job

Also the Big 12 plays a round robin these days, so the magic from that one year can never be repeated.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Someone get Todd Reesing off the commentary desk and onto the sidelines in a coach's visor

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mangino would probably be the most likely guy to fill in as interim if Rhoads gets canned midseason (which I don't see happening because if it didn't happen after we lost to Kansas last season I don't know what could short of a scandal) but outside of a small percentage of idiot message board posters I don't think there is anybody who would want to see him as head coach for more than that. It isn't like he's been stellar as OC the past year and a half. I think the vast majority of the fanbase would want to see an offensive minded current head coach from a G5 or FCS school. If we're gonna lose lets be like Tech and score a million points in the process.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Hey, he also managed to be both better, and fatter, than Charlie Weis

Both impressive accomplishments for someone without a decided schematic advantage.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
We haven't had a great Mangino pic since him and the Orange Bowl mascot so I'm down with him becoming HC just to see him be carried off the field by a forklift by his players or something.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

A former temple player went OFF on Al, and some ex-canes that played for him retweeted it;

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I know some Texas fans praying for the Philadelphia Eagles to tank this season so Texas can hire Chip Kelly. Running his spread offense with top five recruiting classes from Texas would be pretty loving scary, look at what loving Baylor and Texas Tech can do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
His spread is way different from those teams and the Air Raidish thing that seems to be popular in Texas at all levels, but yes it would probably be really good.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I wonder if it's too late to revise that $2.25 million dollar buyout for Tom Herman to about $22.5?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Korranus posted:

I wonder if it's too late to revise that $2.25 million dollar buyout for Tom Herman to about $22.5?

I want him at Miami so badly.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

texaholic posted:

I know some Texas fans praying for the Philadelphia Eagles to tank this season so Texas can hire Chip Kelly. Running his spread offense with top five recruiting classes from Texas would be pretty loving scary, look at what loving Baylor and Texas Tech can do.

Chip Kelly and his swagger belong at Miami.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Butch you shitheart fraud

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Told you so about Butch.

Texas would still be insane to hire Strong and I'd take him in a second.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Sweet pile td i am in the wrong thread, embarassing, do not quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Jerry Kill's seat is heating up because he's being a huge baby

While this is true the general morale for him on campus seems to be pretty high. I don't think it could happen this season. Who knows how the turnover with the AD figures into this.

• Locked thread