Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Charlie Strong would be the absolute worst hire for Miami. The only thing Golden's got going for them right now is he's still consistently brought in talent, Strong exiling half the team would send them straight into the dark ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Raku posted:

Charlie Strong would be the absolute worst hire for Miami. The only thing Golden's got going for them right now is he's still consistently brought in talent, Strong exiling half the team would send them straight into the dark ages.

there is no darker age than golden

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Let's talk about that. I thought Richt's time was officially up after the 2010 season, because the team stunk on the field and the off-field program-building had gone backwards. Greg McGarity, in his first half-year on the job, didn't pull the trigger. The next season, Richt starts 0-2 and I thought it was pretty clear: He had to go 9-1 or better the rest of the way and win the East or he'd be gone. Well, he went 10-0 and won the East. And then won it again the next year.

So there's that sort of Lazarus act. But as Phil Fulmer showed, you can't keep doing that forever. Eventually the Georgia Blowout Loss will turn into the Georgia Blowout Losses and a season could go straight down the shitter. Will it be this year? I don't think so. But if it were, Richt isn't getting any younger.

Georgia's biggest problem is that the transition-era QBs between Aaron Murray and Jacob Eason haven't panned out. And that Richt's roster mismanagement has left the program with a definite talent depth gap when compared to an Alabama. The first one, you can still chalk it up to "poo poo happens." But the second one, that's on Richt completely. The '12 team, despite going 12-2, had a roster size like it was under NCAA probation or something. Ridiculous.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh, it's also becoming increasingly clear that there is a giant schism in the locker room between Strong's guys and the upperclassmen. Which isn't that surprising given that Strong has openly poo poo on most of the players he found in Austin since he got here. No pride, no effort, no leaders, etc. In today's press conference Dylan Haines spent all of his time talking about how the young guys may have been leaders in HS but they need to realize where they are and let the upperclassmen lead. The response from the freshmen on Twitter (all quickly deleted, of course) makes me think Haines is going to be waiting a while on that one.

Yeah this is the thing that bugs me most. Like I know there were some issues at the end of Mack's tenure, but just going in there and making GBS threads all over everyone was a crappy thing to do. If he's not throwing them off the team for something dumb like weed he's going out of his way to trash them. It's not like he took over a group completely devoid of talent. Maybe there were some problems with some of them, but part of your job is to deal with that stuff and coach them up. Throwing them all under the bus because they don't live up to your goofy moral standard for what a college athlete should be or whatever just seems so lovely to me.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 6, 2015

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Yeah this is the thing that bugs me most. Like I know there were some issues at the end of Mack's tenure, but just going in there and making GBS threads all over everyone was a crappy thing to do. If he's not throwing them off the team for something dumb like weed he's going out of his way to trash them. It's not like he took over a group completely devoid with talent. Maybe there were some problems with some of them, but part of your job is to deal with that stuff and coach them up. Throwing them all under the bus because they don't live up to your goofy moral standard for what a college athlete should be or whatever just seems so lovely to me.

I thought it was bad when Brady Hoke openly poo poo on most of his team by crediting the Sugar Bowl victory to Lloyd Carr's loyal recruits and no one else. At least he didn't start doing that until after the season.

It seems so weird to me that a coach could be successful with this attitude. I get 'having your guys' and so on, but in a sport with limited scholarships how can you risk alienating so much of your roster? You might as well just embrace your inner Charlie Weis and become the disgusting tire fire that is Kansas.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MourningView posted:

Yeah this is the thing that bugs me most. Like I know there were some issues at the end of Mack's tenure, but just going in there and making GBS threads all over everyone was a crappy thing to do. If he's not throwing them off the team for something dumb like weed he's going out of his way to trash them. It's not like he took over a group completely devoid of talent. Maybe there were some problems with some of them, but part of your job is to deal with that stuff and coach them up. Throwing them all under the bus because they don't live up to your goofy moral standard for what a college athlete should be or whatever just seems so lovely to me.

I know you and others are locked in so hard on the weed morals thing but that team was chock loving full of people who were out there for no other purpose than to build their personal highlight reel to the detriment of everything else. It wasn't a team, it was a bunch of good/great athletes and coaches that totally bought into their own hype and the results on the field showed.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Hey Korranus, what can you tell me about Tom Herman? :getin:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Crotch Bat posted:

stay away goddamnit

Regarding our previous coaching staff:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ard-pass-100515

quote:

“He reminds me a lot of Braxton Miller when we first got to Ohio State,” said Herman. “Braxton was probably playing a little too early as a true freshman and had to rely on his athleticism. Greg hadn’t played quarterback since high school until the middle of last year. It was like taking a ball of clay and starting to mold it, because it hadn’t begun to take shape. He didn’t know the difference between a Cover 2 and a Cover 3.”

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

The line of agents and boosters pulling into the UH campus in December is going to look like

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Raku posted:

Golden didn't really do anything special recruiting wise. His misses include Teddy Bridgewater, Amari Cooper, Vernon Hargreaves (legacy), Dalvin Cook, Alex Collins, etc. That area is just loaded with talent so even a failure like Golden trips over his own feet and falls into a roster that had 7 guys drafted last year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

go3 posted:

I know you and others are locked in so hard on the weed morals thing but that team was chock loving full of people who were out there for no other purpose than to build their personal highlight reel to the detriment of everything else. It wasn't a team, it was a bunch of good/great athletes and coaches that totally bought into their own hype and the results on the field showed.

Perhaps he as a coach should try to get them to change rather than throwing them off the team and publically ridiculing them to send a message about Strong Christian Morals or whatever. They're loving 18-22 year olds. Your job is to coach. Coach them.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
If Whit Babcock can sell that broke dick basketball program to Buzz Williams I can only imagine how attractive he can make the football program seem to prospective coaches.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

MourningView posted:

Perhaps he as a coach should try to get them to change rather than throwing them off the team and publically ridiculing them to send a message about Strong Christian Morals or whatever. They're loving 18-22 year olds. Your job is to coach. Coach them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576036-charlie-strong-must-take-action-after-texas-players-publicly-rip-each-other

This right here isn't something that a coach should never allow to happen, and is enough to fire somebody just on its own. Strong has been there two years and that locker room is more loving broken than Florida's after Meyer/Tebow, somehow

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Korranus posted:

The line of agents and boosters pulling into the UH campus in December is going to look like

Someone get Houston a dumptruck of money before other dumptrucks arrive, thanks.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Raku posted:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576036-charlie-strong-must-take-action-after-texas-players-publicly-rip-each-other

This right here isn't something that a coach should never allow to happen, and is enough to fire somebody just on its own. Strong has been there two years and that locker room is more loving broken than Florida's after Meyer/Tebow, somehow

You really hate Charlie Strong, man. What's your beef?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Why does expressing the opinion that he might be handling some things poorly mean that you "hate" him? That seems like a totally reasonable criticism.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

If Whit Babcock can sell that broke dick basketball program to Buzz Williams I can only imagine how attractive he can make the football program seem to prospective coaches.

It had more to do with Buzz looking for a place to jump ship. He also left Marquette in a pretty bad situation.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

MourningView posted:

Why does expressing the opinion that he might be handling some things poorly mean that you "hate" him? That seems like a totally reasonable criticism.

Eh, you're probably right, but feels like in the past few weeks he's posted a lot about how awful Charlie Strong is. Totally valid criticism, but a fireable offense? Nah.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno, creating such a gigantic rift in the locker room that players are publicly sniping at each other and openly talking about transferring (including DURING A GAME) is pretty dang bad, especially when it has lead to such awful on the field results.

It is not like he took over Duke or some poo poo where the cupboard was completely bare and devoid of talent. Texas should be one of the easiest places in the country to engineer a quick turnaround, and he seems to be actively trying to make it as hard as possible to do. I'd give him another year I guess but there are genuine reasons to dislike how he's going about things.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Did he do the same thing at Louisville? I honestly can't remember

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

There is this strange perception that just because you don't think that Strong has Texas on the right track or that there have been some issues with his tenure there mean that a person dislikes strong. It is a crazy persecution complex going on.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
That is what this all comes across as. I need to stop posting about football for a while, since it's a loving depressing year for it.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Neil Armbong posted:

You really hate Charlie Strong, man. What's your beef?

well you see, I'm a virulent racist

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ungratek posted:

Did he do the same thing at Louisville? I honestly can't remember

I don't remember any complaining about stuff like that, but the spotlight's a lot smaller there. Just going by his record he went 7-6 for a couple of years before going 11--2 & 12-1, but it seems likely that's when Teddy Bridgewater figured things out as much as anything.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Grittybeard posted:

I don't remember any complaining about stuff like that, but the spotlight's a lot smaller there. Just going by his record he went 7-6 for a couple of years before going 11--2 & 12-1, but it seems likely that's when Teddy Bridgewater figured things out as much as anything.

He did the same thing with Kragthorpe's guys at Louisville.

It was more accurate there, or at least felt it, because the Petrino burnout and then Kragthorpe years were pretty stank.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ungratek posted:

It had more to do with Buzz looking for a place to jump ship. He also left Marquette in a pretty bad situation.

OTOH, there's no reason VT shouldn't be one of the top tier jobs in the country available.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
God drat you and your genial competence, Bill Cubit, I am actually kinda nervous about playing Illinois this week.

Every week we do not lose I become more nervous waiting for the other shoe to drop. It'll probably be against Northwestern (if both teams win this week I hope we get to find out if they can tarp off part of a Gameday set next weekend) but losing to Illinois, Indiana, or somehow Minnesota just feels like a thing we would do.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

God drat you and your genial competence, Bill Cubit, I am actually kinda nervous about playing Illinois this week.

Every week we do not lose I become more nervous waiting for the other shoe to drop. It'll probably be against Northwestern (if both teams win this week I hope we get to find out if they can tarp off part of a Gameday set next weekend) but losing to Illinois, Indiana, or somehow Minnesota just feels like a thing we would do.

Thats kind of how I feel about Florida this year. Like beating Tennessee and Ole Miss was awesome, but McElwain is still new and the Muschamp era has taught me that losing to a bad Missouri team is something that is very very possible.

Also, any chance Cubit becomes full on HC at Illinois or elsewhere given how he has handled this mess?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

Also, any chance Cubit becomes full on HC at Illinois or elsewhere given how he has handled this mess?

I think ultimately he's probably much better as a stop gap than as a long term solution for them, but I kinda hope so. He seems like an incredibly nice man and I find myself rooting for good things to happen to him. Unless that good thing is beating Iowa. Don't do that, Bill.

The Illinois athletic department is kind of a disaster though, so if they don't completely fall apart I could see them just going gently caress it and sticking with him rather than bothering with a full coaching search where they would almost certainly land on like the 4th best coach in the MAC or something.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I think ultimately he's probably much better as a stop gap than as a long term solution for them, but I kinda hope so. He seems like an incredibly nice man and I find myself rooting for good things to happen to him. Unless that good thing is beating Iowa. Don't do that, Bill.

The Illinois athletic department is kind of a disaster though, so if they don't completely fall apart I could see them just going gently caress it and sticking with him rather than bothering with a full coaching search where they would almost certainly land on like the 4th best coach in the MAC or something.

I met him at a coaching thing, and he's a really nice guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also I meant to make that first post about Illinois in the regular NCAA thread, but whatever, we can chat about the job prospects of Bill Cubit: Friendly Football Grandpa.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cubit did fine at Western but they kinda got lost in the fold when NIU and Toledo started really killing it. They were never outright awful under him or anything.

I'd love to see him take over as either the full time Illinois coach or get to start fresh again somewhere else. He's a good guy and did well at Western considering he inherited a rough program.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

I dunno, creating such a gigantic rift in the locker room that players are publicly sniping at each other and openly talking about transferring (including DURING A GAME) is pretty dang bad, especially when it has lead to such awful on the field results.

It is not like he took over Duke or some poo poo where the cupboard was completely bare and devoid of talent. Texas should be one of the easiest places in the country to engineer a quick turnaround, and he seems to be actively trying to make it as hard as possible to do. I'd give him another year I guess but there are genuine reasons to dislike how he's going about things.

Yeah, it seems like it should be an easy place to start fresh, but I'm not sure that's really the case at this moment in time. I mean I think it was right on the verge of cratering no matter who was in charge. If Mack had survived 2013 he'd be fired by now for sure. It didn't get this bad overnight and it wasn't going to get better overnight either. All evidence suggests that we had an astonishingly small number of talented guys who gave a poo poo on the roster. Also, the OL recruiting in particular had been just dreadful for years, leaving a huge hole where arguably the most important piece of the offense (and the one that takes the longest to build) should have been. I mean Mack's OL guys from the later years are/were just so awful. Strong has made some really bad decisions surrounding the offense, but he was dealt a really terrible hand and part of what's so bad about it is that everyone seems to assume it must have actually been pretty good. This year's brutal schedule hasn't done him any favors either.

I'm very impressed with how well Strong was able to finish out the recruiting last year, coming off a losing season with lots of in-state competition. If he can keep that up and bring in someone who will install a balls-out offense ideal for utilizing the recruits coming from our state and capable of putting up points like you have to in the B12, he's going to succeed if given time. Seriously, 4 years of classes as good as the last one, a mature Charlie Strong defense and a really legit offense would absolutely tear poo poo up. If the right decisions were made, we could be a better version of recent TCU teams in 3 years. I believe this. The recruiting situation does look pretty dire right now, but after last time I won't write him off before NSD. If recruiting does go off a cliff this year, he may be a dead man walking in year 3. Obviously, all the talk about his seat being hot isn't going to do him any favors out on the recruiting trail, either. At least he can promise early playing time and be believed, he obviously has no problem playing freshmen.

Overall I've been a pretty big fan of the Strong hire from the start, I still think he might very well work out if given time to do it, and I think there's almost no scenario where it's a good idea to fire him after this year. But my enthusiasm for him is currently at its lowest point since he hit campus. My worst fears about him have been validated. Specifically, he's a defensive-minded coach who looks lost in the contemporary landscape where offenses dominate, especially in this state and this conference. He has got to show us something down the stretch this year, and he pretty much has to contend for a conference title in 2016, or at least have us believing that we'll be contenders in 2017. Anything less and he may not see year 4.

On the plus side the OU game seems to go the opposite of how I expect it to go in recent years, and I don't know how we're going to keep it competitive, so watch out Sooners I guess?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DJExile posted:

Cubit did fine at Western but they kinda got lost in the fold when NIU and Toledo started really killing it. They were never outright awful under him or anything.

I'd love to see him take over as either the full time Illinois coach or get to start fresh again somewhere else. He's a good guy and did well at Western considering he inherited a rough program.

Cheap, mediocre, and a "nice guy"?

Miami i have found your new coach!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ungratek posted:

Coaches of that caliber don't just jump ship to one of the worst P5 programs in the country. I agree he wanted out but he was way out of VT's league and still got sold on the idea by Whit.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

MourningView posted:

I'm predicting 10-2 with losses to jNW and Indiana. It's nice to dream the impossible dream, though~~~

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Yeah, didn't mean to denigrate it to that degree. It's still an outstanding hire for a program of VT's caliber

This is the worst y'all will be in football for decades and we are still miles behind you. So frustrating because this was when we needed to make our move and instead we hired the loving police ninja turtle instead

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Someone get Houston a dumptruck of money before other dumptrucks arrive, thanks.

Unless he pulls a Todd Graham on us, he should be here for another season. Anything after that will be a gift.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Mark Richt and Kirby Smart are going to their alma maters this offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's not too late for the illini to re-hire the zookman

• Locked thread