Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Hobohemian posted:

I wasn't talking about white people music, which has and always will suck.

ah, of course, living la vida loca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Parents used to name their kids things besides "Gaydence" and "Sierra".

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

notZaar posted:

School shootings were a rare tragedy, rather than an annual event.

My senior year (95) the police did some sort of 21 Jump Street bullshit where they had undercovers in the school and did a full lockdown one morning and searched everyone's poo poo and arrested a bunch of kids, all because a few of the basketball players had been caught with drugs. One friend of mine drove her dad's pickup truck to school that day and in the bed there were a bunch of empty beer cans and a few shotguns for hunting, and it was no big deal.

She didn't get in trouble, just got called a hillbilly a lot after that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the steam machines were invented and revolutionized the industry

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Wafflz posted:

Quake 3 was better than any of the bullshit kids play today and flying didn't suck rear end.

i cant even think of anything to add to this, it's entire, it is complete

Sam Hill
Aug 28, 2015

by Ralp
People were more relaxed and less PC. You could criticize the military without risking your life. People talked more and spoke their mind, now it feels like cold war era Russia were everyone distrusts everyone else and thinks they are spies.

Vitruvio
Jan 28, 2015
Pretty slow, OP. Thank Allah you were born when you were.

Vitruvio
Jan 28, 2015

Mr. Pumroy posted:

you can't really talk about the pre-9/11 world without mentioning mega man 3.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I learned how to use the Internet (which we called the World Wide Web) from an article in a children's magazine.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
You didn't need a boarding pass to go in an airport, so you could meet your grandma at the gate and then eat ice cream together (still in the airport) :3:

They would serve meals on domestic flights even if you weren't in first class.

Airplanes were apparently more comfortable, with more legroom and stuff, but I wouldn't know because I'm short

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 28, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Imagine freedom. You could smoke and carry knives and make jokes and no one assumed you were up to something.

Political arguments were basically:

"I like Clinton's economic policies."
"Well I can see your point, but I feel an alternative would be more effective."
"Well that's fair."

No one had smartphones so we all connected with each other like human beings and didn't miss out on life by staring down.

There were no furries or pangender demisexual lesbiquatic transethnic gynofloofs.

We beat up nerds and those loving nerds knew their god drat place

When you spent $50 on a game you got the whole complete game

There was no fanfiction or any of this weird poo poo, just star trek conventions and those loving people were properly treated like social pariahs

Everything was literally 100% better

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Anime wasn't as good and there were only 150 pokemon

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I could get on a airplane without being flagged by security for having dark hair and olive skin.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Ur gma ate my ice cream in the airplane bathroom

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
my boyfriend was alive, for one thing

he died flying a plane into the pentagon :rip:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

my boyfriend was alive, for one thing

he died flying a plane into the pentagon :rip:
nice rehashed joke

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

symbolic posted:

nice rehashed joke

its all in how you tell it

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

back then when you said "america deserved 9/11" no one knew what you were talking about

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I remember being a few minutes early to my 9:30am programming class in college. At that time in the morning a lot of us had heard that something had happened, but no one really knew what was going on. We tried to use the Internet on the class computers but a lot of sites weren't working.

As the clock moved closer to 9:30, our teacher, who was from Pakistan walked into classroom. He stood at the front of the room, greeted us and asked us in an excited tone "Have you guys heard the good news?"

When his question was meet by bewildered stares, he proclaimed that "today is a great day because Jordan is joining the Wizards!" Someone asked if he had heard about the planes that crashed in New York and he said "who cares about that? Jordan is joining the Wizards!"

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

also there was only one Iraq War, which we won definitively

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

When I was a kid during halloween me and my friends would get together and walk the entire neighborhood trick or treating without any parental supervision, at like age 6. The only warnings we got were stay in well-lit areas, stay in a group, and if anyone approached us to keep walking and going to doors. Then 9/11 happened.

Now kids just don't trick or treat- or do so from the safety of a car.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Pamela Anderson looked like this OP

I know you have no idea whom she is, just google her.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Before the Columbine School massacre we didnt really understand the inherent evil of first person shooter murder simulators.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

When I was a kid during halloween me and my friends would get together and walk the entire neighborhood trick or treating without any parental supervision, at like age 6. The only warnings we got were stay in well-lit areas, stay in a group, and if anyone approached us to keep walking and going to doors. Then 9/11 happened.

Now kids just don't trick or treat- or do so from the safety of a car.

The trunk of treat poo poo is the loving WORST poo poo IMAGINABLE!

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
It was pretty much like the movie Reality Bites, OP.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, mass homicide wasn't a thing

You could go to a movie theater as a white man and not have everyone assume you're a killer

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

We had Koala Yummies and Dunkaroos it was a great time

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I was a poor. It sucked

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Post 90s disillusionment had already set in a major way during the 1.75 years before 9/11. You still had the lingering effects of the dot com bust and the country was already very divisive over the Bush election and there was the sense in the air that the good times might be over. Then 9/11 happened and sent anxiety sky high.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
You could make sweet movie posters like this

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I did enjoy the huge breast phase of the 90's.

Bolt ons as far as the eye could see.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
We complained a lot about being bored.

As in, as a society.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh, it's the same thing, day in, day out, we're just corporate drones.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
dahmer, bundy, gacy, and manson were more likely to be the punchline of an off-color joke

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
killing people was just sort of sillier, really

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
There were a bunch of shark attacks at the beaches that summer and my first thought when I heard about a plane hitting the towers was "God damnit was it sharks?!" :350:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
You could walk right up to the airport gate without a ticket and welcome people home, that was really nice instant nostalgia, now everyone is on defcon high alert when they fly because it feels like youre traversing through a prison

jokes about bombs were just in poor taste and not a call-homeland-security ordeal (meet the parents just barely squeezed by with this)

the armed forces were redneck/doofus/homosexual stomping grounds

lots more smoking in public and restaurants

russians were still bad guys

there weren't so many licensed legos, just star wars

episode 1 was really bad but we still had hope

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Toadvine posted:

episode 1 was really bad but we still had hope
when you went to see Episode II, did you have a New Hope?

:slick:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
You could show up at airport gates without a boarding pass just to do poo poo like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYS7SpFTEI

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Pththya-lyi posted:

I learned how to use the Internet (which we called the World Wide Web) from an article in a children's magazine.

one day each month in science class we got a rad magazine and it always had a "guess what it is" picture of a microscope picture of something gross like a booger or poop, but it was just cool patterns because it was so magnified. We would win a prize if we guessed right. It was awesome.

Also being bullied was a normal thing, and you weren't offended if someone was called a fag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
bullying was pretty easy to get away from, you just avoided the kids who beat you up. now they're on your facebook leaving nasty poo poo on your wall for you to read later.

• Locked thread